• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe the Giants got nothing out of that inning. 8 more innings to go and the Mets might be warming someone up by the 4th.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit wrong thread. Sorry about that guys.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In honor of this year's draft recently concluding, I thought I'd look back at the 2014 draft since we start to get an idea of how well or badly it went.
Of the 40 players drafted, the Giants were able to sign 23 (compared to the last few years, a low total). Out of those 23 players signed, 11 are still active. Out of those 11 active, 7 are still in the Giants org. Let's take a look at the 11 still playing (or at least rostered) professional baseball, going from late rounds to early rounds:
Hunter Cole (23rd) - Cole was shipped off to the Rangers a couple of years ago after looking like he was stalling in his development. He had an okay year in the Rangers' org last year but is hitting well in limited action with their AAA affiliate, but is currently on the 7 day IL. If the Rangers' infielders continue to struggle, (and he gets healthy) he may get a chance to make his MLB debut this year. At this point, though, he looks like he may become a journeyman with cups of coffee here and there. Not bad for a 23rd round pick.
Jordan Johnson (23rd) - Johnson got traded to the Reds this last offseason and has been hit hard at AA this year. At one point, he looked like he had a decent chance of pitching in the big leagues. Unless he turns it around this year, he could be in indy ball soon.
Caleb Smith (17th) - Look him up on BBRef (no, not the guy pitching for the Marlins) and you'll find he hasn't thrown a competitive pitch since 2017. However, he has been listed on the restricted list this year and last year with Richmond. I have no idea what's his story but I assume we won't see him pitch again.
Matthew Gage (10th) - Another pitcher (3rd on this list so far), he put up decent numbers with the Giants but looked like he was viewed as a org depth guy before being released last year. He landed with the Mets after one game in indy ball and pitched well at AA, got rocked at AAA and then released. Now, he is getting knocked around in the Mexican League. He'll be lucky if he gets to pitch in affiliated ball again.
Austin Slater (8th) - Hey, look, a guy who's actually played in the big leagues! Currently hitting well in AAA, he still has a chance to have a decent career as a 4th or 5th outfielder.
Skyler Ewing (6th) - A catcher/1st baseman, he never got very far in the org, playing only as far as Augusta (where he got stuck at for 3 years). He got plucked by the Marlins in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft, hit horribly at their advanced A and AA affiliates and got let go. He is currently with the Brewers' org, where he has appeared in all of 5 games for their AAA affiliate. At this rate, someone will pick him up for 2020 and play him in 2 games all with their big league squad.
Sam Coonrod (5th) - From starting pitcher prospect to major injury, Coonrod came back late last year and looked very rusty as a reliever. Nevertheless, he was moved to AAA to the start the season and made his major league debut with the club last month. He could stick around for a while as a relief pitcher.
Logan Webb (4th) - A big time (for this org, at least) lefty pitching prospect, Webb's suspension is an awful hit to his development. It remains to be seen what the Giants will get out of him. He has yet to pitch at AAA.
Dylan Davis (3rd) - The outfielder got a slow start with the org, caught fire in 2016 and then contracted the dreaded AA cold bat disease in 2017. He played 19 games for Richmond this year (with awful results) before being removed from the roster. He was not released, so my guess is that the Giants are pulling the plug on the bat and will try to see what they have in him as a pitcher. We will see.
Aramis Garcia (2nd) - So far, Garcia has been a combination of a disappointment (see his AA and AAA numbers before this year) and a surprised (his MLB numbers in late 2018). He seems like a worthy backup to Posey but, so far, has gotten stiffed for a bunch of old guys. Hopefully, he gets a couple of year behind Posey before Bart makes the big leagues.
Tyler Beede (1st) - Is Tyler the pitcher who dominated the Marlins last week or the dud that got knocked around by the Mets this week? So far, he seems to be the latter. But hey, he got knocked around horribly in AAA last year and seemed to figure that league the 2nd time around. Maybe there is still hope he can be a serviceable 4th or 5th guy in the rotation.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11th rounder Trevor McDonald signed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just changed the name of the thread to 2014 Draft, just to avoid this sort of confusion. :yo:
Who was the MORON who created a thread and went with a totally generic name of “draft”?

Oh, wait...

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may sound weird, but Brady Aiken is going to be a big league pitcher, probably a good one too. He's got a great name, has a good face (looks way mature for being only 17), and is from San Diego. The kid will make it.

Call me crazy, but the Astros are making some moves. They could be one of the best teams in baseball soon.
Nostrodomus.