• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft starts on Thursday. The Giants pick #14. This is supposed to be a VERY deep draft, but not top-heavy. The first 3 rounds or so are expected to be relative 1st round talent.

The draft is considered to be pitcher-heavy, but a lot of the top guys have had TJ issues in the last few months (this epidemic is not restricted to MLB, apparently). I am pretty OK with whatever strategy the Giant employ. We are so week at the top of our prospect list that BPA at every pick is 100% OK with me.

Even more pitching.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the record on how pitchers do after TJ surgery? My impression is in most cases it doesn't hurt performance much, especially if they get it while fairly young. Do I have that right?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Hill. He's a name that I keep hearing pop up with the Giants. He's been shooting up draft boards recently.

Local kid from Sacramento, still in high school (Elk Grove), he's already committed to Oregon :-)yahoo:). FWIW, his dad (or grandfather) is a scout for the Dodgers. He's a tools-y outfielder, which sounds a little scary from the Giants prospective given their recent history drafting tools-y high school hitters in the first round...

.....What scouts are pretty confident in though is his defense in the outfield. 70-80 on the defense scale.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, in typical Giants fashion, no one really has any clue who they are targeting.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, in typical Giants fashion, no one really has any clue who they are targeting.

They will pick some kid that the "experts" had slated to go in the third round.

They did it with Brown. They did it with Panik. They did it with Arroyo. Bum, Posey, Wheeler and Stratton were all picked at about where they were expected (Timmeh was a bit of an enigmatic pick - he could have gone #1 or #15. We got him at #9). The rest of the '07 class were over-drafts, but that is a unique situation.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Hill. He's a name that I keep hearing pop up with the Giants. He's been shooting up draft boards recently.

Local kid from Sacramento, still in high school (Elk Grove), he's already committed to Oregon :-)yahoo:). FWIW, his dad (or grandfather) is a scout for the Dodgers. He's a tools-y outfielder, which sounds a little scary from the Giants prospective given their recent history drafting tools-y high school hitters in the first round...

.....What scouts are pretty confident in though is his defense in the outfield. 70-80 on the defense scale.

He lives in my area :) (have never watched him live though which makes me sad)

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will pick some kid that the "experts" had slated to go in the third round.

They did it with Brown. They did it with Panik. They did it with Arroyo. Bum, Posey, Wheeler and Stratton were all picked at about where they were expected (Timmeh was a bit of an enigmatic pick - he could have gone #1 or #15. We got him at #9). The rest of the '07 class were over-drafts, but that is a unique situation.

That's the thing about the baseball draft, and prospect in general. It's impossible to predict. The trend the Giants have been on though seems to be athletes. They are drafting athletic, smart guys and hope that they listen to their instructors. If that makes sense...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing about the baseball draft, and prospect in general. It's impossible to predict. The trend the Giants have been on though seems to be athletes. They are drafting athletic, smart guys and hope that they listen to their instructors. If that makes sense...

This draft is more predictable than most. The first round players break down like this:

Tier I -- Aiken; he'll go first
Tier II -- Rodon; he'll almost certainly go second
Tier III -- Kolek, Jackson, Gordon, Nola
Tier IV -- Freeland, Turner, Newcomb
Tier V -- Conforto, Hoffman, Pentecost, Toussant, Zimmer
Tier VI -- Holmes, Beede, Schwarber

Those are my top 17 guys. There may be one or two guys not listed who sneak into the top 15 (Hill, Adams, Ried-Foley) but I'd expect the Giants to get someone from this group. Obviously, Tier I, II, and III will be gone by the time the Giants pick. Likely Tier IV as well. I'd love Freeland or Newcomb to fall to us, but it's not likely.

My pick : the local kid Zimmer. He's probably the best bat in the draft. Big, strong, fast, five tool OF. I saw him play a couple of times at USF, he's legit. I could see him in RF and hitting sixth in 2017.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zimmer would be solid. Holmes would be great. Obviously, and top tier guy who falls would be great. Hill would be a solid pick. We're about to find out.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami passes on Rondon. Interesting, with the Cuba connection.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may sound weird, but Brady Aiken is going to be a big league pitcher, probably a good one too. He's got a great name, has a good face (looks way mature for being only 17), and is from San Diego. The kid will make it.

Call me crazy, but the Astros are making some moves. They could be one of the best teams in baseball soon.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs draft screwy. No wonder why they always suck

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baez, Bryant and Schwarber with Rizzo should make a potent middle of the order in a couple years. Schwarber should be a fast-track guy.