• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone can explain how or why the Steelers can finish above the Ravens in the AFC North yet pick below them, please do...

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another option....officially.

Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State Seminoles entering NFL draft - ESPN

As of today, I'm mocking him to KC @ 24....it would nice to get a call from KC (who really needs a TE more than WR) wanting to move up to get Ebron or Amaro...but I don't think they have a 2nd round pick (sent two to SF for A. Smith), so I can't see them trading their 3rd round pick to move up.

While I would really like to be able to move back and pick him up, I honestly don't know if it's possible. Looking at the teams behind us, I can't see Benjamin getting past Baltimore, Jets, and Dolphins. I think I would personally like to see us just stay put and draft Benjamin at 15. He fills a pretty big need.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone can explain how or why the Steelers can finish above the Ravens in the AFC North yet pick below them, please do...

I'm sure SOS is part of the tie breaking criteria that determines who was the weaker team....I think PIT is at least one spot ahead of BAL...in the draft order posted by most sites I've seen online.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I would really like to be able to move back and pick him up, I honestly don't know if it's possible. Looking at the teams behind us, I can't see Benjamin getting past Baltimore, Jets, and Dolphins. I think I would personally like to see us just stay put and draft Benjamin at 15. He fills a pretty big need.

If Benjamin runs anything in the 4.5 range @ the combine I think he could go even sooner than 15th....looking at Demarious Thomas from DEN over the weekend...teams are going to gravitate to Benjamin earlier than initially thought maybe....for us, I'd love to have Benjamin also but this a deep draft...with 2 picks in the top 50 off the board, there is NO REASON why Colbert/Tomlin should not come away with a player on OFC & DEF that is ready to contribute next year.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Benjamin runs anything in the 4.5 range @ the combine I think he could go even sooner than 15th....looking at Demarious Thomas from DEN over the weekend...teams are going to gravitate to Benjamin earlier than initially thought maybe....for us, I'd love to have Benjamin also but this a deep draft...with 2 picks in the top 50 off the board, there is NO REASON why Colbert/Tomlin should not come away with a player on OFC & DEF that is ready to contribute next year.

He could very well go before we are on the clock. One positive though, if we are indeed looking for a WR this is an incredibly deep draft at the position. Between Benjamin, Watkins, Evans, and Lee I think at least one will be available when we pick and I would happily take any one of them.

As far as defense goes, we need a lot. Clark is definitely gone, Troy played decent last year, but not well enough to warrant the kind of money he was being paid. I think they might try and work something out with him. You can't just let future HOFers (which he is IMO) walk out the door. I would also hope that Shamarko Thomas is ready to contribute next year and our safeties could be him and Troy. Wouldn't mind seeing a CB drafted because Ike's play is declining and he's getting old and Gay is just awful. We could also use some help along the D line. IMO Heyward is a lock at one of the two DE but I think every other spot on the line could be upgraded.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure SOS is part of the tie breaking criteria that determines who was the weaker team....I think PIT is at least one spot ahead of BAL...in the draft order posted by most sites I've seen online.

Don't get me wrong, I like it... But still confused me. I figured it had something to do with the tiebreaker, but I was still holding out for the small chance that it could be the NFL's way of saying sorry for screwing you out of the playoffs.

Or maybe it was part of Tomlin's 100k downpayment plan? :whistle:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could very well go before we are on the clock. One positive though, if we are indeed looking for a WR this is an incredibly deep draft at the position. Between Benjamin, Watkins, Evans, and Lee I think at least one will be available when we pick and I would happily take any one of them.

As far as defense goes, we need a lot. Clark is definitely gone, Troy played decent last year, but not well enough to warrant the kind of money he was being paid. I think they might try and work something out with him. You can't just let future HOFers (which he is IMO) walk out the door. I would also hope that Shamarko Thomas is ready to contribute next year and our safeties could be him and Troy. Wouldn't mind seeing a CB drafted because Ike's play is declining and he's getting old and Gay is just awful. We could also use some help along the D line. IMO Heyward is a lock at one of the two DE but I think every other spot on the line could be upgraded.

DEF...imo the pool for the 15th pick has maybe 6 legitmate players...by now you know I like Hageman and he's still my #1 choice for the pick...aside from him...

CBs...Dennard, Gilbert are getting the most ink and will go fairly high (I would not take a CB @ 15 b/c I think we can get Louchiez (what a name) Purifoy, Jason Verrett or Kyle Fuller later in the draft...all will need to be coached up anyway and I think we have one of the best secondary coaches in the league in Lake so I 'm willing to take a guy not as polished in this position....Gay, it's hard to forget the previous stint where he was terrible, but this year he was actually a pretty good CB.

DL...Nix, NT from ND...Tuitt, DE from ND...Ealy Mizzou...this is about as deep as it goes for me on the DL...of these guys Nix is coming off knee surgery, Ealy is more of a 4-3 DE, imo too small to play DE in a 3-4...so that leaves Tuitt and Hageman for me

LB...Mack, OLB, BUF...I have not seen him play but the clips I've seen he might be better than Barr, definitely stronger...if for some reason Worilds can't be signed Mack might get more consideration. CJ Moseley...I'm not that high on him, but he's a good player...Williams has a yr under his belt, I think he's solid I'm ok with him.

S...I wouldn't bother in the 1st rd...but there are 2 good S options...my 1st pick would be Calvin Pryor, 2nd Dion Bailey, or Deone Bucannon.

Troy...definitely a HOFer...but he's not really a special player anymore...he's still pretty good, so for pretty good money I'm okay bringing him back. Shamarko would have to have a terrible camp not to be a starter next yr...the question I would have with those 2 would be who plays FS.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DEF...imo the pool for the 15th pick has maybe 6 legitmate players...by now you know I like Hageman and he's still my #1 choice for the pick...aside from him...

CBs...Dennard, Gilbert are getting the most ink and will go fairly high (I would not take a CB @ 15 b/c I think we can get Louchiez (what a name) Purifoy, Jason Verrett or Kyle Fuller later in the draft...all will need to be coached up anyway and I think we have one of the best secondary coaches in the league in Lake so I 'm willing to take a guy not as polished in this position....Gay, it's hard to forget the previous stint where he was terrible, but this year he was actually a pretty good CB.

DL...Nix, NT from ND...Tuitt, DE from ND...Ealy Mizzou...this is about as deep as it goes for me on the DL...of these guys Nix is coming off knee surgery, Ealy is more of a 4-3 DE, imo too small to play DE in a 3-4...so that leaves Tuitt and Hageman for me

LB...Mack, OLB, BUF...I have not seen him play but the clips I've seen he might be better than Barr, definitely stronger...if for some reason Worilds can't be signed Mack might get more consideration. CJ Moseley...I'm not that high on him, but he's a good player...Williams has a yr under his belt, I think he's solid I'm ok with him.

S...I wouldn't bother in the 1st rd...but there are 2 good S options...my 1st pick would be Calvin Pryor, 2nd Dion Bailey, or Deone Bucannon.

Troy...definitely a HOFer...but he's not really a special player anymore...he's still pretty good, so for pretty good money I'm okay bringing him back. Shamarko would have to have a terrible camp not to be a starter next yr...the question I would have with those 2 would be who plays FS.

I think Hageman would be a good fit in our defense and wouldn't mind if we picked him up in the first. Both ND guys would also be solid. I really like Mack as a player, but assuming we can agree to something with Worilds, we have no need for him and we aren't really in the position to be taking best available IMO. I also agree with your assessment on the corners. I will admit, Gay was passable this year, but he should be nothing more than a nickel corner going forward. I like those guys you have targeted in the second-third as well. I've seen Purifoy at Florida and he's a great cover man. Haven't really watched Verrett or Fuller, but I know they're both mocked in the second round range and would be fine with them as well.

And if I had to choose between Troy and Shamarko at FS I think I would pick Troy simply for the fact that he has more NFL experience and has decent ball skills.

Last edited by a moderator:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CB's... I agree that it would be smarter to take a CB later in the draft. Plus I have heard word that PIT is considering bringing Hawthorne in for a checkup at some point in the offseason. I think Lake is still pretty high on this youngster, but it depends on his health. Worth a look IMO.

DL... Hageman, Tuitt & Nix are my top picks. Not sure that I would even consider anybody else in the 1st round.

LB... I traveled out west to visit family in Idaho when the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl happened and I went with my dad. I was pretty excited to watch Mack in person, but that was shortlived. Mack was abused by San Diego State in that game. Not sure if it was the cold weather or what, but Mack didn't look like a 1st round talent to me. He could not shed a block to save his life. I think Mack is more of a product of his conference than his raw athletic ability, but I could be wrong. He made a few good plays, but I'd steer clear of him in the draft. Barr is the clear cut choice for me here if they went for a LB.

S... No opinion yet on safeties. Clearly if they went first round it would have to be Clinton-Dix, but from what I have heard Bailey might be around for a 2nd round grab. One thing I do like about the S class this year is the size. Nobody in the top 10 prospects falls below the 6'1" mark.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hageman would be a good fit in our defense and wouldn't mind if we picked him up in the first. Both ND guys would also be solid. I really like Mack as a player, but assuming we can agree to something with Worilds, we have no need for him and we aren't really in the position to be taking best available IMO. I also agree with your assessment on the corners. I will admit, Gay was passable this year, but he should be nothing more than a nickel corner going forward. I like those guys you have targeted in the second-third as well. I've seen Purifoy at Florida and he's a great cover man. Haven't really watched Verrett or Fuller, but I know they're both mocked in the second round range and would be fine with them as well.

And if I had to choose between Troy and Shamarko at FS I think I would pick Troy simply for the fact that he has more NFL experience and has decent ball skills.

CB...yeah, actually both of the FL CBs will eventually start on Sun....agree with you on Gay, but he figured something out, because he was worthy of keeping...ashame C. Brown could never figure it out at this level...that would've been ideal.

Fuller I saw vs GA Tech and one other game...not real fast like Cortez Allen, but a physical guy that can play man and zone, will definitely support the run, and he played against some top WRs such as the #1 guy Watkins.

I keep saying...this draft should yield 2 starters...maybe not out of the gate, but sometime during the season next year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB's... I agree that it would be smarter to take a CB later in the draft. Plus I have heard word that PIT is considering bringing Hawthorne in for a checkup at some point in the offseason. I think Lake is still pretty high on this youngster, but it depends on his health. Worth a look IMO.

DL... Hageman, Tuitt & Nix are my top picks. Not sure that I would even consider anybody else in the 1st round.

LB... I traveled out west to visit family in Idaho when the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl happened and I went with my dad. I was pretty excited to watch Mack in person, but that was shortlived. Mack was abused by San Diego State in that game. Not sure if it was the cold weather or what, but Mack didn't look like a 1st round talent to me. He could not shed a block to save his life. I think Mack is more of a product of his conference than his raw athletic ability, but I could be wrong. He made a few good plays, but I'd steer clear of him in the draft. Barr is the clear cut choice for me here if they went for a LB.

S... No opinion yet on safeties. Clearly if they went first round it would have to be Clinton-Dix, but from what I have heard Bailey might be around for a 2nd round grab. One thing I do like about the S class this year is the size. Nobody in the top 10 prospects falls below the 6'1" mark.

Hawthorne...what happened to him? Injured? I thought he was released. I know several people that were high on him. The guys that I like the most are the 2 FL guys and Fuller, but I'm sure they will find a player.

LB...Mack...wow, it had to be the competition then because his clips look really strong...I agree with thehobo here actually...focus the effort on Worilds...he's already been coached up. The problem I've heard with Barr is lack of strength at the point of attack (sound like Jarvis this yr). Mosely is gaining some steam but I don't see a difference maker there...maybe better than Williams, but not by a ton from what I've seen. I would be surprised to see a LB name caledl @ 15 or 47.

DL...I want to say this is his 2nd bout with a knee, but in either case I think Nix is going much later...probably to NE if the TEs are gone (they will likely be gone).

S...I really hope they don't go with - Nix...Bama who I watched a lot this year didn't have many studs this year on DEF. The guys that are exciting me are Buccanon, and Pryor...2 or 3 round guys that will play ST, and maybe some dime

May seems a long way off, but geeze we're already halfway thru Jan already....I do like how the FA period is before the draft now...make a lot more sense.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Faceless: I'm going to assume that you just caught a bad game by Mack. I'm sure some of his production is due to the lack of competition, but make no mistake, he has talent. In Buffalo's first game of the year, they played Ohio State and I remember Mack being literally everywhere in that game. He's talented and I would be amazed if his name wasn't called somewhere in the first.

I also wouldn't be so locked into defense in the first round. I think that WR and OL are still big needs as well. Don't forget that Sanders is most likely gone next season.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawthorne...what happened to him? Injured? I thought he was released. I know several people that were high on him. The guys that I like the most are the 2 FL guys and Fuller, but I'm sure they will find a player.

Hawthorne had hip surgery after the draft and missed all of OTA's & most of training camp. He returned day 4 of training camp but suffered another setback soon after. And if you remember, due to the increased amount of injuries to the healthy CB's during camps they needed able bodies fast. They never really got a good look at what Hawthorne could do so it was a no brainer decision to cut him during the roster cuts. He is currently a FA but I haven't heard much else about him other than PIT was considering a checkup.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest BTSC mock... Their writeup:

Justin Gilbert, CB Oklahoma St.

The Steelers grab Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert at No. 15 (apparently staving off their desire to trade down three times, amassing half of the third round picks in 2014 in the process). Gilbert's a big cornerback with excellent athleticism and playmaking ability. He returned two of his six interceptions in 2013 for touchdowns, and returned six kicks for touchdowns in his collegiate career. Justin Gilbert has good size and length coupled with the speed and agility to blanket receivers from snap to whistle. He has loads of potential, and it will be interesting to see how he performs in workouts and postseason All-Star games.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Faceless: I'm going to assume that you just caught a bad game by Mack. I'm sure some of his production is due to the lack of competition, but make no mistake, he has talent. In Buffalo's first game of the year, they played Ohio State and I remember Mack being literally everywhere in that game. He's talented and I would be amazed if his name wasn't called somewhere in the first.

I also wouldn't be so locked into defense in the first round. I think that WR and OL are still big needs as well. Don't forget that Sanders is most likely gone next season.

I don't think there are that many legit DEF options at the top of this draft that make a lot of sense so if the impact guy is there, I would pull the trigger because WR is deeper this yr and OT depth is pretty good too. But to your point, the guys that get me the most excited at the top of the this draft are on OFC...but, it wouldn't bother me at all to see an OFC picked @ 15.

damien232307

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team with the weakest strength of schedule gets the higher pick if teams have the same record. If there is a tie in cumulative strength of schedule between two teams there is a coin flip. The difference is Pittsburgh played Oakland and Tennessee and Baltimore played Houston and Denver. Tennessee and Oakland combined for 11 wins and Denver and Houston had 15. The rest of the schedules were the same so based on the weaker schedule strength Pittsburgh drafts before the Ravens. By the way I have heard some rumbling that the penalty the Steelers may face is not losing a draft pick but the Ravens moving ahead of the Steelers in the draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest ISR mock... Their words:

Stephon Tuitt, DE Notre Dame

Notre Dame defensive end Stephon Tuitt has been on the board in most of the NFL Mock Drafts we've featured to this point. Indy Sports Report remedied that Thursday when they posted their last mock, sending Tuitt to Pittsburgh at No. 15.
Scoping the Steelers’ roster, you could go any number of ways with this pick. However, I will give the Steelers the benefit of the doubt and say the returning players they had who were injured last year will give them quite a boost. However, they could really use an upgrade on the defensive line. Adding Stephon Tuitt into the mix is a slam dunk.
We like slam dunks in mock drafts. And those injured players coming back may or may not end up being the reason the Steelers would select Tuitt, they'd get an excellent prospect.
The key with Tuitt is his ability to improve on his athleticism and strength. If he can develop his technique quickly, he could end up being one of the best of this class. He's naturally very strong, but he'll still need some work.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the nasty guy, but definitely a prospect...I did notice USC ran away from his side a lot...has a better '12 season.