• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have him...I'm softening a lot on Amaro...the guys @ Steelerdepot are doing profiles and they did Amaro this week I think...I've seen him play 2 or 3 times, and there was a bit of wow factor, not the athlete that maybe Jimmy Graham, but I don't think Haley would use him the same way they did @ T.Tech...in the slot about 70% of the time.

Your thoughts?

2014 NFL Draft Player Profiles ? Texas Tech TE Jace Amaro | Steelers Depot

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we finally going to a get a shutdown corner? I have begged for one for years now. Hell, how about even an above average corner?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we finally going to a get a shutdown corner? I have begged for one for years now. Hell, how about even an above average corner?

Blount maybe....lol idk.

Well...seriously Ike was a very good bump-n-run guy early in his career when they were getting to the QB in under 3 seconds.

I really like Cortez Allen and feel he's already among the top young CBs in the DIV and perhaps the entire AFC. I think you'll see him doing most of the heavy lifting this yr drawing the #1 WR.

Draft...I'm not that high on Gilbert or Dennard @ 15...to be honest, I'm not sure either would run Ike or Gay out next season. For me...either of the top FL boys can work in the 2nd round...Fuller from ViTech...my point is all of the DBs in this class imo will need to be coached up to play significant minutes next year.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want a big receiver in the 1st or 2nd round another O-line man and defense the rest of the way,,,but knowing the Steelers they won't pick a WR until at least the 5th rd and then he might be 5'10',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the past oh maybe 7 years we have not drafted very well if we had we wouldn't be in the shape we are in now............

NOW TELL ME I AM WRONG

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right. Ever since the '08 & '09 drafts we haven't drafted very well. Some players are starting to pan out better than we originally thought, but nothing can cover up the 2008 draft. They definitely need a go-to WR that is over the 5'11'' average that they have now. A few of us (ATL mainly) have spoken about the possibility of even picking up a playmaking TE to supplement the receiving corps. Personally I think they need to invest in the D-line first before picking up someone on offense, but I would definitely be happy with an offensive player in the 1st Rd as long as he was a producer from Day 1.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mosley...as a prospect I've seen a lot, he's a little bigger, more physical than Ogletree who played @ UGA and went to STL late 1st b/c of off the field issues...Alec is faster than CJ and IMO a better ILB prospect if you want a guy with the speed to get deep in coverage/blitz/run support. As a runner stopper Mosley is probably better.

I see the logic...he might be a better athlete than Williams, but I don't think he will be on Timmons level to give us that dynamic tandem @ ILB.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right. Ever since the '08 & '09 drafts we haven't drafted very well. Some players are starting to pan out better than we originally thought, but nothing can cover up the 2008 draft. They definitely need a go-to WR that is over the 5'11'' average that they have now. A few of us (ATL mainly) have spoken about the possibility of even picking up a playmaking TE to supplement the receiving corps. Personally I think they need to invest in the D-line first before picking up someone on offense, but I would definitely be happy with an offensive player in the 1st Rd as long as he was a producer from Day 1.

Yeah, everyone knows what our limitations are on OFC...you're right, I'm really for a big playmaker whether it be one of those hybrid TE guys or a big bodied WR that can play and be an impact player next season. The draft is pretty deep at that position so 15 is not mandatory but I would be pretty limited in the DEF guys I see enough value in to take that early.

I wouldn't freakout if they took Dennard, but I don't think the team is much better next year on DEF...the impact DL/ front 7 guys...they get my attention and from the early reports, we're talking about maybe 3 guys.

I think as the combine nears the players will start to separate.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not keen on taking a CB until the mid round. There isn't a true standout in the class, and to me the skill of man-man covering is becoming less important as spread offenses infect the league, being smart, a good tackler, and especially ball skills are all higher on the list, IMO.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not keen on taking a CB until the mid round. There isn't a true standout in the class, and to me the skill of man-man covering is becoming less important as spread offenses infect the league, being smart, a good tackler, and especially ball skills are all higher on the list, IMO.

I'm in that camp as well as far as when...not so much on the value of m-t-m skills. You get 3 guys back there that can mirror a WR for 3 secs, the QB will most likely have gone through 3 reads...you're going to get a sack, throw away, pick, checkdown...something good for the DEF more times than not.

That said...gotta have the pressure on the QB as well and imo that needs more attention.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in that camp as well as far as when...not so much on the value of m-t-m skills. You get 3 guys back there that can mirror a WR for 3 secs, the QB will most likely have gone through 3 reads...you're going to get a sack, throw away, pick, checkdown...something good for the DEF more times than not.

That said...gotta have the pressure on the QB as well and imo that needs more attention.

:agree: Preachin' to the choir!

grayghost668

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmmmmmmmmm,, we need a big impact receiver and a stable O-line I have been on that wagon for 3 or 4 years now we need a solid Nose Tackle a Linebacker and a DB ,,,,,,,, fellas this is all old news and it has been going on for several years,,,,

tell me something I don't already know !!!!!!!!!!!

me instead of speculating on what we need because hell we all know it.... I chose to wait and see what the hell they do with their picks this year maybe just maybe they will pick at least 1 impact player this year instead of 5 or 6 that have to be developed

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmmmmmmmmm,, we need a big impact receiver and a stable O-line I have been on that wagon for 3 or 4 years now we need a solid Nose Tackle a Linebacker and a DB ,,,,,,,, fellas this is all old news and it has been going on for several years,,,,

tell me something I don't already know !!!!!!!!!!!

me instead of speculating on what we need because hell we all know it.... I chose to wait and see what the hell they do with their picks this year maybe just maybe they will pick at least 1 impact player this year instead of 5 or 6 that have to be developed

Hey GG...that makes you a fan my friend...as to speculating on the draft...I was like you for years...hell I didn't know anything about Woodley or Timmons until they hit the field...Troy, same thing.

But recently I've gotten into it...I see more CFB games down here so I have a little insight on a few players...it's fun playing GM for a month and watching the kids develop or not develop.

OL...in my mock LY I had Chance Warmack (picked earlier by TN) in the first and Lacy in the 2nd) Having 2 brute Gs would be ideal...but Foster surprised me. I think depth is always going to be an issue on a 53 man roster, but I came away feeling better about them even though LT is still not settled.

NT...Colbert has largely skated by on the fouled Ta'amua pick...4th rd I think.

WR...that still baffles me that PIT has not found a good WR with size since Plax...we know Ben wants one, and I think he gets one...probably planted by an agent I'm sure, but the Ben leaving rumor was a cry for help imo...like you said...seeing what they do with the picks.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts, and to be clear, wasn't suggesting that mtm wasn't important just comparatively less important than say 5-10 years ago.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If in the 3rd or 4th round, the clear cut BPA was an ILB, I think you take him. Team needs depth at that position at the very least.

At lot of 2nd round ILB's come into the league and are Pro Bowlers immediately too. The Steelers haven't addressed the position very well recently in the draft.

grayghost668

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey GG...that makes you a fan my friend...as to speculating on the draft...I was like you for years...hell I didn't know anything about Woodley or Timmons until they hit the field...Troy, same thing.

But recently I've gotten into it...I see more CFB games down here so I have a little insight on a few players...it's fun playing GM for a month and watching the kids develop or not develop.

OL...in my mock LY I had Chance Warmack (picked earlier by TN) in the first and Lacy in the 2nd) Having 2 brute Gs would be ideal...but Foster surprised me. I think depth is always going to be an issue on a 53 man roster, but I came away feeling better about them even though LT is still not settled.

NT...Colbert has largely skated by on the fouled Ta'amua pick...4th rd I think.

WR...that still baffles me that PIT has not found a good WR with size since Plax...we know Ben wants one, and I think he gets one...probably planted by an agent I'm sure, but the Ben leaving rumor was a cry for help imo...like you said...seeing what they do with the picks.

I have been a Steelers fan since before Bradshaw,,,I saw the glory years the down years and the in between years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Bill Cowher knew how to draft and did a reasonably good job of putting QUALITY players on the field but since the days of Cowher the team has declined the drafts have been 3rd class at best Tomlin and company have let the team slip away with poor drafting and your MOCK DRAFTS don't mean squat

you were like me ,,,,yeah sure,,,, you are just like any fan sitting there thinking you know it all but the truth is you have no part in who they pick all you can do is watch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

don't even sit there and think you know more than me or anyone other Steeler fan,,,,,,,,,, you do

and I'm not your friend

Last edited by a moderator:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a Steelers fan since before Bradshaw,,,I saw the glory years the down years and the in between years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Bill Cowher knew how to draft and did a reasonably good job of putting QUALITY players on the field but since the days of Cowher the team has declined the drafts have been 3rd class at best Tomlin and company have let the team slip away with poor drafting and your MOCK DRAFTS don't mean squat

you were like me ,,,,yeah sure,,,, you are just like any fan sitting there thinking you know it all but the truth is you have no part in who they pick all you can do is watch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

don't even sit there and think you know more than me or anyone other Steeler fan,,,,,,,,,, you do

and I'm not your friend

I, like ATL, enjoy talking about draft picks and "playing GM". We know full well that it has nothing to do with what will actually happen. And in NO WAY do we think that our words carry any weight with the franchise, or anyone else for that matter. Neither of us are fans thinking we "know it all" and everyone should listen to us. I have posted with ATL for a few years dating back to the ESPN forums. We definitely don't concern ourselves over who knows the most about the Steelers, we simply just like to debate and give our input to one another. Isn't that what this site is about, sharing opinions/comments amongst fans? We know Mock Drafts from any of us, or analysts, or websites don't mean anything.

I definitely agree on the drafting though. During the Cowher years the team drafted much better than it has during recent years. Like you stated, we as fans can only sit back and hope that they get their shit in order! :suds:

grayghost668

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he just ticked me off with this

Hey GG...that makes you a fan my friend...as to speculating on the draft...I was like you for years...

I took this as a insinuation that that I did not know what I was talking about ,,,,and I take exception at that and I have no problem with you hell you fit in like you have been here for years

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If in the 3rd or 4th round, the clear cut BPA was an ILB, I think you take him. Team needs depth at that position at the very least.

At lot of 2nd round ILB's come into the league and are Pro Bowlers immediately too. The Steelers haven't addressed the position very well recently in the draft.

I don't think you can ever have too many LBs in a 3-4...I agree, I'm okay with Williams...I think he'll be that much better next year, but it's time to move forward with the assumption that Spence will not be that guy...I haven't really been glued in on a ILB, but you have a good point.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and I'm not your friend

Have it your way GG...no push back from me...in all seriousness that picture you paint is NOT me...this is merely a fun pastime for me...I don't take myself that serious to think I know more about the game than a newbie and I've been watching the game 40+ yrs.

Friends...not intended literally, or sarcastically...but I apologize for wrapping you in the Steeler blanket.