• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Gents, it looks like we are locked in at 15th overall pick in the 2014 draft.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...it's official.

I'm liking Amaro here...will be posting a mock this year.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here... Hopefully I go 3/3 on position selection again! This year will be a bit tougher though. Have to wait to see which vets get cleared out.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here... Hopefully I go 3/3 on position selection again! This year will be a bit tougher though. Have to wait to see which vets get cleared out.

My wish list mock I got the positions right too first 3 rounds, but none of the players. The two keys ones are Troy & Ike, and Woodley, but you're right...Allen @ S and guys like that will effect the latter picks. I think Gay has a cap friendly deal and will be back.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to imagine Polamalu being brought back with his cap hit. It will be tough to see either one of those guys go (same with Clark) but it needs to be done. Ike doesn't have much gas left in the tank. If Allen sticks around in place of either then we'll know what the plan is for FS & SS since Thomas is likely to be a starter at either position.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to imagine Polamalu being brought back with his cap hit. It will be tough to see either one of those guys go (same with Clark) but it needs to be done. Ike doesn't have much gas left in the tank. If Allen sticks around in place of either then we'll know what the plan is for FS & SS since Thomas is likely to be a starter at either position.

Both Ike & Troy are over $10 mil each I think...no way either of them are $10mil cap hit players now...Clark is all but gone given he's not u/c next year...from the scuttlebutt I'm hearing Ike will take an outright cut to stay, and probable that Troy will as well...I think Thomas will play SS and Troy move to FS if he stays. I'm thinking 2nd or 3rd round they will take a CB/ and a S maybe both.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#99 came back to play the last game to say thanks...play his butt off too.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft Tek's most recent mock draft has PIT taking Marqise Lee @15.

At 6'0" 195lbs he's not a bad grab here. He's a well polished receiver with great instincts. He loves to reroute and work the sidelines. He's smart, and has a great set of hands! However, I would like to see a receiver with more height taken for PIT because we have enough receivers hovering around the 5'11" - 6'0" mark. And like many have already questioned, is he worth a #15 grab? It's fair to assume that there will be better talent left on the board since QB's are likely going to be nabbed up early. But there could be a lot of value to trading back since there are multiple 1st-round-talent WR's that will be on the board, not to mention TE's as well! Since PIT needs a lot more on D, I would assume they would only trade back if their defensive guy isn't there @15.

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, I know ATL & others (as well as myself) have mentioned some of the same thoughts. But as I read more and more mocks I like to give some input. I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot of the same thoughts throughout the offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft Tek's most recent mock draft has PIT taking Marqise Lee @15.

At 6'0" 195lbs he's not a bad grab here. He's a well polished receiver with great instincts. He loves to reroute and work the sidelines. He's smart, and has a great set of hands! However, I would like to see a receiver with more height taken for PIT because we have enough receivers hovering around the 5'11" - 6'0" mark. And like many have already questioned, is he worth a #15 grab? It's fair to assume that there will be better talent left on the board since QB's are likely going to be nabbed up early. But there could be a lot of value to trading back since there are multiple 1st-round-talent WR's that will be on the board, not to mention TE's as well! Since PIT needs a lot more on D, I would assume they would only trade back if their defensive guy isn't there @15.

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, I know ATL & others (as well as myself) have mentioned some of the same thoughts. But as I read more and more mocks I like to give some input. I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot of the same thoughts throughout the offseason.

I think Lee is a very good WR, but he's A.Brown with a little more size...I would shoot for Watkins from CLEM if I wanted a guy of that stature. He can go up and get it at 6'1" and I hate to be so fine with it, but I'm looking 6'3" plus & athletic.

Lot of talk here in ATL about moving up to #2 to get Clowney, and I'm hearing TB also...

At the top...word is STL wants Matthews and think they could drop down a few spots and still get him...I'm mocking Clowney to STL @ 2, and Robinson OT AUB, @ 13. I don't see Matthews as being much more NFL ready than Robinson or Kouandjio.

There could be some interest in the 15th pick from SF who I think will want to take Benjamin, WR FSU.

Since PIT rarely engages in draft day moves, I'm thinking they will go DEF if any of these players are on the board @ 15...Hageman, Tuitt, or Gilbert.

I'd take any of those guys, but I'm more in the mindset of getting the OFC side the ball as strong as possible and the OFC is closer to being able to carry the DEF than the other way around...Get a big WR/TE in here and the RZ OFC should improve immediately. If we go DEF, he almost has to be an impact player next year or we probably stay around a .500 team while he learns the NFL game.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take any of those guys, but I'm more in the mindset of getting the OFC side the ball as strong as possible and the OFC is closer to being able to carry the DEF than the other way around...Get a big WR/TE in here and the RZ OFC should improve immediately. If we go DEF, he almost has to be an impact player next year or we probably stay around a .500 team while he learns the NFL game.

Sorry my friend, but I'm going to have to disagree with this to an extent. One of the main reasons this team started off 0-4 was due to the ineffectiveness of the offense, primarily the O-line (And Ben). I know this sounds like a broken record because we all say it every offseason, but IF the O-line can stay HEALTHY then they'll be a 10-12 win team. The defense struggled, but it did enough to keep most games within reach for the offense. And they did that with "young" blood on the field (Jones, Worilds, Heyward, C. Allen). The transition to a younger defense will not be as rough as some might think! Clearing out Troy, Ryan, Ike & Brett will be tough due to the leadership they instill, but the replacement talent is there. They have already shown that they can play without them in 2012 & '13. All 4 of those guys have been dealing with injuries during those seasons. I think Tomlin learned a few things about filling in the leadership shoes because this team bounced back to almost making the playoffs. I think things are definitely going to be better next season.

As we saw this team develop this year, they gained a proven identity on offense with both the run and pass game. If they can build on this then they will easily make up for any shortcomings on defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I would really like to see us maybe trade back in the first and draft Kelvin Benjamin. I think he's exactly what we need. 6'5 with good athleticism and decent hands. Probably needs to polish his route running a bit, but he can learn. I've seen him compared to Calvin Johnson, which might be a bit ambitious but I think he can still be very good.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I would really like to see us maybe trade back in the first and draft Kelvin Benjamin. I think he's exactly what we need. 6'5 with good athleticism and decent hands. Probably needs to polish his route running a bit, but he can learn. I've seen him compared to Calvin Johnson, which might be a bit ambitious but I think he can still be very good.

Last I heard was that Benjamin was content to stay at FSU since he is only 22 years old. Has he stated that he is declaring himself for the draft?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry my friend, but I'm going to have to disagree with this to an extent. One of the main reasons this team started off 0-4 was due to the ineffectiveness of the offense, primarily the O-line (And Ben). I know this sounds like a broken record because we all say it every offseason, but IF the O-line can stay HEALTHY then they'll be a 10-12 win team. The defense struggled, but it did enough to keep most games within reach for the offense. And they did that with "young" blood on the field (Jones, Worilds, Heyward, C. Allen). The transition to a younger defense will not be as rough as some might think! Clearing out Troy, Ryan, Ike & Brett will be tough due to the leadership they instill, but the replacement talent is there. They have already shown that they can play without them in 2012 & '13. All 4 of those guys have been dealing with injuries during those seasons. I think Tomlin learned a few things about filling in the leadership shoes because this team bounced back to almost making the playoffs. I think things are definitely going to be better next season.

As we saw this team develop this year, they gained a proven identity on offense with both the run and pass game. If they can build on this then they will easily make up for any shortcomings on defense.

Fair points...overview

OFC...got much better at the end due to the things you've mentioned, better OL play, Bell emerging, and quite frankly Ben getting rid of the negative plays from holding the ball....they still were not good in the RZ...if we go into 2014 with much the same core w/o Sanders...a full yr with Miller & Speith, Wheaton and Cotchery? I'm not seeing a 12 win team there. Adding the piece we've all coveted completes the OFC sans OL depth.

DEF...I think LeBeau will again find a way to put a competitive DEF on the field...but...we still need to replace 4 positions. The core front 7...we have some pretty good players but only two difference makers...Heyward (emerging) and Timmons. Some people want us to take Nix...we absolutely need a NT, but...imo we have bigger fish to fry.

Yes, they've played many games w/o Troy and some w/o Clark, and obviously Brett has missed games...possibly the biggest deal is Woodley/Worilds...I'm not ready to say Worilds will be a pro bowler, but he played better than Woodley this yr. I no longer think Woodley has the legs to play in space anymore, but will they bite the bullet and cut him...if they do they will be forced to go younger quicker.

Finally...J.Jones...I live in GA, watched him @ UGA, thought highly of the pick...I still like him as a football player, but imo he has a long way to go the be an effective OLB going up against NFL OTs. As a novice fan watching the games, he looks like an ILB or a 4-3 OLB at this level...I hope I'm wrong on that.

I'm not expecting them to be a porous group but just based on the S position alone, I don't see them as a SB championship caliber DEF for a couple of years. I'm okay with a DEF player @ 1, but they you have to allow at least a yr learning curve and you can't afford to miss, because the OFC is not a complete either...I just think we'll see more immediate impact from the OFC player if we get the right guy...but I'm not saying that's right and your viewpoint is wrong...just different.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I heard was that Benjamin was content to stay at FSU since he is only 22 years old. Has he stated that he is declaring himself for the draft?

No he hasn't, just speculation on my part.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo... 15th pick. Manziel declares today.. 3rd rated QB, 9th overall.... If he's there, do we take a shot at finding Ben's heir apparent? I am not comfortable with Landry Jones.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manziel...he makes the 4th 1st rd QB I think and all of the QB needy teams are picking in the top 11...I think he'll be gone at 15...very doubtful PIT would even consider a QB @ 15 imo...DL/WR/TE/S/CB

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he hasn't, just speculation on my part.

If he has a good combine...really, just don't go there and run a 4.6 or something, run a 4.5 anything, and I think he'll go to KC, NE, or CAR at the bottom of the 1st.

That's probably enough incentive to go...would be for me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another option....officially.

Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State Seminoles entering NFL draft - ESPN

As of today, I'm mocking him to KC @ 24....it would nice to get a call from KC (who really needs a TE more than WR) wanting to move up to get Ebron or Amaro...but I don't think they have a 2nd round pick (sent two to SF for A. Smith), so I can't see them trading their 3rd round pick to move up.