• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've seen him play, I haven't looked at any draft stuff, but is he rated that high? I wouldn't want to reach, and pick a top 15-20 player at 5 because you are trying to fill a need.

I'm just starting to big these big boards...he was in the teens on several last yr., but I think he's going to be top 10 on just about every big board out there by season's end...if PIT is top most likely they will go with the safest play...I'm just getting that sense.

Another kid I'd like to pick...Ebron TE from NC...we'd be too high to take him in the top 5, but love his talent.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WK 10 Update

3-6...if the season ended today the Steelers would be picking 6 to 10 pending a coin flip.

Teams picking 1 thru 5, JAX, TB, MIN, ATL, WAS (now CLE), HOU

JAX, MIN, CLE...probably have QB high on their board, I expect Bridgewater, Mariota, and Hundley, maybe Zach Mettinberger will all go in the 1st round.

TB...if they have a new HC, chances are they will go QB, if not, Clowney is the likely pick.

ATL...OT...I think they would take Matthews from TXAM

HOU...I don't see how they could pass on Evans the WR from TXAM, but I think they would take Barr the OLB from UCLA. Maybe they decide to go QB as well.

Lot of needed prospects but if the draft played out like this, Colbert probably will take the LT Lewan from MICH.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wk 11 Update

Great win last week...has sparked thoughts of a playoff run by some Steeler fans...I'll be more convinced after these next two games.

As of now...@ 4-6 the Steelers would be drafting somewhere 9th thru 15th pending a lot of tiebreakers.

After getting a little more educated on the draft I'm reworking my top 5 big board this week...

Matthews...OT TXAM, he would probably be gone (ATL) by the 9th pick anyway but I'm dropping him out of my top 5. The last 4 or 5 top OTs taken in the last few drafts are either playing RT or they're not playing. Kalil from USC in MIN was really the last plug and play LT to come out.

The thought is the same for most of these guys at the top of this draft will need a year or 2 @ RT before they're ready to take over @ LT.

Also dropping Nix, NT from ND out of the top 5. The Steelers sorely miss that interior push they from Hampton for many years, onto of the run stopping block he was...but, more and more he was playing only 1 down near the end. Poe seems to be a 3 down NT in KC...the thought is Nix is not that kind of athlete and will probably be an effective 1 down player in the NFL initially.

Who knows, but this has changed my thinking .

Big Board Top 5 as of wk 11

#1...Ebron, TE, UNC, Amaro, TE, TxTech**
#2...Evans, WR, TXAM
#3...Barr, OLB, UCLA
#4...Clowney, DE, SC*
#5...Clinton-Dix, S, Bama

2nd rd...Kyle Fuller, CB from VA Tech...or Hageman, DT, MIN...some scouts like him better than Clowney.

*if LeBeau leaves and they switch to a 4-3...add Tuitt, as the #5 guy maybe over the S.

**Amaro has said he's staying in school...if he declares, he would be the next guy on the board if Ebron was gone.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've seen him play, I haven't looked at any draft stuff, but is he rated that high? I wouldn't want to reach, and pick a top 15-20 player at 5 because you are trying to fill a need.

I've been watching Evans the last two years. The kid is a beast. 6'-5", 230#s. Not a speedster. He can out physical and DB in college. However, he knows it and doesn't run the best of routes. He rounds off corners, doesn't put everything into selling the fake, etc. IDK if he will be able to get away with that in the pros. I love watching him. He can take over a game and would be thereceiver we haven't had since Plax, but top 5 might be a little early.

As for Jake Mathews, he started this year at LT (he took over after Joekle went to the NFL). He didn't do as well as expected at LT. They have moved him back to RT and he is doing better. I don't think you use a top 10 pick on a RT. Maybe if he is still on the board in the second.

Just a scouting report from the Aggies.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been watching Evans the last two years. The kid is a beast. 6'-5", 230#s. Not a speedster. He can out physical and DB in college. However, he knows it and doesn't run the best of routes. He rounds off corners, doesn't put everything into selling the fake, etc. IDK if he will be able to get away with that in the pros. I love watching him. He can take over a game and would be thereceiver we haven't had since Plax, but top 5 might be a little early.

As for Jake Mathews, he started this year at LT (he took over after Joekle went to the NFL). He didn't do as well as expected at LT. They have moved him back to RT and he is doing better. I don't think you use a top 10 pick on a RT. Maybe if he is still on the board in the second.

Thanks...Idk if you saw my post above yours, but on Matthews it's pretty much spot on with what I've been hearing about him.

PIT is dropping more into the middle of the 1st I believe so it won't matter much about Matthews as I think ATL will take a OT most likely.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks...Idk if you saw my post above yours, but on Matthews it's pretty much spot on with what I've been hearing about him.

PIT is dropping more into the middle of the 1st I believe so it won't matter much about Matthews as I think ATL will take a OT most likely.

I agree with you on Mathews. I would say that if the Steelers are drafting in the second half of the first round, Evans would be a good pick. He needs some development. As an Aggie fan, I would love for him and Manziel to play one more year of college. I think they need it. That being said, Evans has all the physical tools to be another Fitz or Megatron. Maybe not right away, but the he has the size and ability to be a top 5 WR in the NFL.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Ebron this weekend vs Pitt, can't deny the speed and athleticism. Would definitely be a good guy to target, since they already have the dependable, traditional TE in Heath Miller.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting take, I always had the impression he was along the lines of Blackmon (on the field only), I don't know if that's inaccurate, but yea he doesn't pop as a great at the craft yet, just a raw, physical specimen. Nothing wrong with that, just not as much certainty with those type in the NFL.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you on Mathews. I would say that if the Steelers are drafting in the second half of the first round, Evans would be a good pick. He needs some development. As an Aggie fan, I would love for him and Manziel to play one more year of college. I think they need it. That being said, Evans has all the physical tools to be another Fitz or Megatron. Maybe not right away, but the he has the size and ability to be a top 5 WR in the NFL.

Evans...you've seen him a lot more than me...I've seen a few games since they've joined the SEC...keep in mind...I've seen Megatron, D. Thomas, and S. Hill all from GT...none of them were really NFL ready if you will, but they all had that size and speed you want...I will say Calvin Johnson was more pro ready than Thomas or Hill.

AJ Green I knew would be a stud from his 1st yr, and Julio took a little time...actually still leaves something as a route runner.

Mid round I would jump on Evans.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Ebron this weekend vs Pitt, can't deny the speed and athleticism. Would definitely be a good guy to target, since they already have the dependable, traditional TE in Heath Miller.

Ebron & Amaro I think will be studs the way the game is played today...Reed from FL was a 3rd round pick...I've love a steal like that, but imo both these guys are better than Reed. If they can get a big, athletic TE, to couple with Miller, then moving Wheaton in the #2 spot doesn't bother me as much, but right now just too many small guys.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron & Amaro I think will be studs the way the game is played today...Reed from FL was a 3rd round pick...I've love a steal like that, but imo both these guys are better than Reed. If they can get a big, athletic TE, to couple with Miller, then moving Wheaton in the #2 spot doesn't bother me as much, but right now just too many small guys.

Yeah, good point, they need a big target somewhere, if you don't have it at WR, find a TE.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They definitely need a big body to throw to. Heath isn't getting any younger as Ben's go to guy.

I still think one of the first 2-3 picks has to be a CB. Ike is not what he used to be, and they need to look at shoreing up the DB. The patriot game is exhibit A. Wish they could have kept Kenan Lewis.

That and the first round guys we have on DL & OL need to step it up. I can't tell you how pissed I am when 2 out of 3 DL is a first round pick and they can't stop a run on 3rd & 2. The same thing goes for the OL when they have to pass on 3rd & 2 because running it would be a waste.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They definitely need a big body to throw to. Heath isn't getting any younger as Ben's go to guy.

I still think one of the first 2-3 picks has to be a CB. Ike is not what he used to be, and they need to look at shoreing up the DB. The patriot game is exhibit A. Wish they could have kept Kenan Lewis.

That and the first round guys we have on DL & OL need to step it up. I can't tell you how pissed I am when 2 out of 3 DL is a first round pick and they can't stop a run on 3rd & 2. The same thing goes for the OL when they have to pass on 3rd & 2 because running it would be a waste.

Good point...Cortez Allen is settling in opposite Ike...next year I think he'll be that much better...the FO reworked Ike's contract to free up cap space this season...might be hard to release him next year...I wouldn't mind seeing Ike move to FS.

Not many CBs have 1st round grades on the boards I've seen. Kyle Fuller from VA Tech I like...would like to have him around in the 2nd rd.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 5-7...realistically PIT is looking at another 8-8 season and a 1st round pick in the 15 to 18 range.

Shamarko Thomas cost them a 3rd rd pick if I'm not mistaken, but it also appears that losing M Wallace and Keenan Lewis will generate 3rd and 5th round compensation picks.

Where do we go?

OFC...OT? There will be at least one, imo two OTs on the board with 1st rd grades (Kouandjio - AL, Irving - FSU, Lewan MICH) in the middle on the round. The problem I see with any of these picks including Matthews, TXAM the top rated OT is none of these guys will be ready to play LT next year based on what has happened with many of these OTs picked high in the last few drafts...most are playing RT if they are playing.

I might look at guys like Ogbuehi (TXAM), Richardson (TN), or Henderson (MIA), in the 2nd or 3rd round...given that they're probably not going to be LTs to start with anyway, they would be immediate depth, and potentially a LT for the future.

WR/TE...this is where I would focus my attention...Evans (TXAM is still my #1 prospect @ WR) Watkins may be a more dynamic 1st yr player but size is very imo. He's not small, but he's only a shade over 6'...my other top prospects are TEs...Amaro (TXTech) and Ebron (NC). Both of these guys have the size, speed and athletic ability to be downfield threats as well as big RZ targets.

Any of these 3 players give Ben the much needed big target.

If none of those guys are available I would shift my focus to DEF.

NT...Nix, ND, I've backed off taking a NT early. After watching the last 5 or 6 games...it's pretty clear that the Steelers are in nickle or dime on probably 60 to 65% of the snaps...menaing no NT in the game.

CB...there are no CBs I like with a 1st round grade...2nd with the surprising play of Gay, I'm okay going with Taylor, Gay, and Allen...there are several later round 6' guys out there with speed that under the wing of coach Lake should be productive players.

ILB...Williams has locked up the job, and should only get better next year...later round guys for depth and ST.

DE...Hageman, MIN, looks like a great prospect to take Kesiel's spot...worse case he should force Hood to step up his game big time.

S...the kid from Bama is the only guy with a 1st round grade. I would not pick a S in the 1st round. I think Ike Taylor could add 15 lbs and could be a good FS, but another topic.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a bummer that game was. While watching that last drive I thought we had it. Oh well! I agree, 8-8 looks to be a best case scenario. What did you call that again ATL, kissing your sister? :laugh3:
Not sure that I can see 9-7 playing out with Cincy & GB left. The GB game depends on Rodgers. If GB is out of the postseason picture then they will likely sit Rodgers, which would be great for the Steelers. But if they are still in the hunt, then Rodgers will likely come in and play his ass off. Regardless, the Steelers will need a lot of help to get back into the picture.

As it stands right now, I would have to say that WR (>6'), OT, NT, DE, S, TE & CB are going to be the biggest needs in the draft. And I listed them in order of importance/opinion, taking draft position into account (~15th pick). But if Ben is moved, which I HIGHLY doubt will ever happen, then obviously that launches QB into the #1 spot.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valesco is done for the season now so we're trying to break in a new C, 14 weeks into the season...just as the OL was rounding into shape too. It looks like Cody Wallace will be the new C...Ben getting the ball out quicker, threat of Bell running, etc. have all helped the OL, but winning the next 4 is a tall, tall task.

On your order...I was really high on a NT, and I still think they need to upgrade the position, but the 2 gap stud I want...just might be too much of a luxury (to use a #1 pick on) in this era of the NFL.

I watched the game this week with a Steeler Head...this guy tapes (and keeps) all of the games and charts...the last 5 games, he's coming up with the DEF being in nickel or dime over 60% of the time...sure enough vs BAL they played w/o a NT considerably more than 50% of the time...the NT (Woods) came out on 2nd/3rd down.

The reason I have those two TEs so high is they're the new hybrid guys in the mold of Jimmy Graham...they can stretch the deep middle and even outside the hashmark, while Heath can control the short and intermediate middle...that imo would allow us to keep a guy like Sanders or Wheaton as the #2 WR. I really think they are both better suited for the slot.

Speaking of Sanders...you hate the think a career comes down to one play, but I feel that if he holds on to that ball, there's a good chance they try to find the money to keep him...dropping it I think was the final nail in his Steeler career.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really bummed for Valesco. He played admirably coming in for Pouncey, but like all lineman in the 'Burgh nowadays, he got injured. It will be tough for him to battle back and find a potential suitor, assuming we don't resign him. This offense is going to sputter like the first couple weeks now that the O-line is going to be less cohesive.

I would say that NT & OT are sort of a tossup at this point. It's impossible to determine who will be on the board still, so picking the top 2-3 positions is very difficult. I could see any one of the positions I listed going in the top 3 picks for the Steelers.

Yea I wasn't shocked to read your post when it said ~60% dime/nickel for defensive packages. But that's just the way the NFL is now with all of the pass happy teams.

That would be awesome to see PITT running the TE hybrid scheme like the Pats have done for a few years now. They could really do some damage running that type of offense, especially with the WR's that they have now. Like you said, most if not all of their WR's are slot type players.

Yea I'm not at all impressed with Sanders' "breakout" season. He shows flashes, but too inconsistent to keep around. I would rather draft a WR. Wheaton will likely pick up where he left off. But Sanders will be playing elsewhere after this season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valesco...yea, that's a 12 mo recovery injury for most guys, and he's not a youngster...hopefully he catches on somewhere is not PIT.

Draft...yeah, this is way early stuff, certainly no way to know how the board will look when draft time actually gets here...I did a Steeler mock LY for the 1st time ever, and prior to that I rarely even knew our draft picks until they got on the field...which could've been a yr or two after they were drafted.

Now...different time. I figure we're going to see a lot more young guys out there earlier in the years to come. They could go any number of ways with the 1st pick, but kind of fun to get into the head of Colbert.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valesco...yea, that's a 12 mo recovery injury for most guys, and he's not a youngster...hopefully he catches on somewhere is not PIT.

Draft...yeah, this is way early stuff, certainly no way to know how the board will look when draft time actually gets here...I did a Steeler mock LY for the 1st time ever, and prior to that I rarely even knew our draft picks until they got on the field...which could've been a yr or two after they were drafted.

Now...different time. I figure we're going to see a lot more young guys out there earlier in the years to come. They could go any number of ways with the 1st pick, but kind of fun to get into the head of Colbert.

Fun and frustrating at the same time...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see where he goes with the 1st pick...I'm thinking it will be an OFC player, but I've been wrong before.