• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft thread

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 is in the books 12ths.

Pete Carroll said team meetings will already start this week to start working on 2014. Going to be an interesting year as we've got looming decisions with FA, new contracts, restructured deals, and the draft.

NFL free agency period begins March 8 when agents of unrestricted FAs can start negotiation processes and March 11 is when deals can begin to get inked and clubs can submit offers to restricted FAs.

The NFL draft will be May 8-10th this year.

So here we go. Let's talk needs and wants. Anyone want to post mocks, go for it and tweak them leading up to the draft. Things can change greatly depending on what happens with the Seahawks in FA.

With the Seahawks winning the SB, our draft order by round for 2014 should look like:

1(32th)
2(64th)
No 3rd via the Percy Harvin deal
4(128th)

order of later round picks are not officially set till March.

What glaring initial needs I see. Maybe some of this gets figured out in FA, but still the first 3 are the ones I see as more critical of the bunch:

Oline G and RT
WR
TE
DE
CB

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait the draft is not in April? As for the draft I hope they go Wr first only because they have struck out on linemen so far and I don't want to see that again in the first round. Go Hawks

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot they moved the draft to may, that sucks.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would put CB higher bc Aren't thurmond and Bronwner leaving us????????

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Osprey where you at? (note: ending sentence with unnecessary "at" makes me sound young & cool).

Who are your 2014 likes & dislikes man?

Donte Moncrief. Supremely underrated. I wanted to try out the word supremely today; let's see how it goes...

Bradley Roby. How the hell is this guy not seen as a top 10 pick??? :what: PLEEEEEEASE drop to the 49ers. :hope:

Dominique Easley. The Tank Carridine of the 2014 draft. Might not get anything the rookie year, but next year LOOK OUT! Dude might be my favourite 3-4 DE in the entire draft if he were healthy. How can you not love this guy???

ehs.gif

Marqise Lee. Rare kind of WR. Think Desean Jackson, Mike Wallace, etc. The lack of a U next to the Q in his name worries me a bit, but I think he can make up for that with a strong combine.

Stephon Tuitt. Stock tmbled this year; he's still a stud.

Irish Chocolate. His stock is about where it should be; safe pick. Stud just like Tuitt. Note: when he gets to the NFL he should change his nickname to Rich Irish Chocolate.

Dislikes:

David Yankey. Lower body strength concerns. Vastly overrated IMO.

Mike Evans. Huge WR who isn't fast but had a great college QB. Haven't we seen this movie before? Good prospect. Top 15? No.

Johnny Manziel. Notice I said great college QB. Could be the next Russell Wilson at best, but I think he's closer to the next Colt McCoy.

Kelvin Benjamin. Overrated IMO.

Justin Gilbert. He's getting top 15 hype right now. He's gone from my "likes" list to my "dislikes" list because he shot way past where he should be IMO. I see him more as a 25-40 prospect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seahawksgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread for informational purposes. Other than the Army/Navy Game, I don't watch college football.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would put CB higher bc Aren't thurmond and Bronwner leaving us????????

Most likely, but not only did Maxwell actually improve the play over Browner, but I still think that Tharold Simon may still become something for us. So, if Simon pans out, we could still have our 4 with Sherman, Maxwell, Lane and Simon. I wouldn't put CB up there. Here's my order of needs:

G
T
WR
TE
LB
S
CB
QB

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think the AFC and the league in general will target more big CBs and Safeties earlier than usual?

This would allow for O-line and WR to slip more for us.

Also, does anyone think PC/JS just roll with Harvin/Tate/Baldwin/Kearse/Lockette and focus on other areas? Or do they still draft one since they tend to take longer to develop?

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think the AFC and the league in general will target more big CBs and Safeties earlier than usual?

This would allow for O-line and WR to slip more for us.

Also, does anyone think PC/JS just roll with Harvin/Tate/Baldwin/Kearse/Lockette and focus on other areas? Or do they still draft one since they tend to take longer to develop?

I am not predicting nothing what PC/Js will do in the draft every time they throw us a curve:laugh3:,so whatever they do i am on board.:yahoo:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just dont listen to Mel Kiper. Here are his Hawks Draft Grades in 2011 and 2012.

2011- D+ High lights: 4th Rd KJ Wright, 5th Rd Richard Sherman, 6th Rd Byron Maxwell, 7th Malcolm Smith
2012- C- Hightlights: 1st Bruce Irvin, 2nd Bobby Wagner, 3rd R Wilson, 4th R. Turbin, 6th Jeremy Lanek 7th JR Sweezy

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I can't see how we can keep both Tate and Baldwin. Tate is going to have lots of interest since he's proven he can be a productive versatile #2. Someone will probably grossly overpay for him like Miami did for Mike Wallace last year.

Maybe he does stick around for less money, but prob not.

Baldwin is a different story because he's mainly a slot type, but we should have Harvin back for full season next year. Lots of overlap with the two in roles.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin is an RFA, no? Dude is most clutch, we have to keep him. With a better OL he has potential to be Bobby Ingram-like.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I can't see how we can keep both Tate and Baldwin. Tate is going to have lots of interest since he's proven he can be a productive versatile #2. Someone will probably grossly overpay for him like Miami did for Mike Wallace last year.

Maybe he does stick around for less money, but prob not.

Baldwin is a different story because he's mainly a slot type, but we should have Harvin back for full season next year. Lots of overlap with the two in roles.

Actually, I always saw Tate and Harvin being the ones who overlapped, as Tate is more a playmaker who you try to get the ball in his hands any way you can, which is why he was the one who ran most of our WR screens. Baldwin is more the prototype slot, and he seems to be the guy Wilson looks for when he needs someone to make a big catch (especially after Rice went down). I think Baldwin will be the better of the two to keep, because he's gonna cost less, and he's one of Wilson safety valves. I'd love to keep them both, but you're looking at spending at least $7 million a year for both of them.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin is a RFA yeah. I have heard if we slap a 2nd round tender on him we should be able to keep him. Although thats no guarantee, RFA rules are tricky I know.
Tate was on KJR today and indicated he would take a discount to stay in Seattle but also that its important he is respected with the offer.
Both want to stay but its a business so we will see. We all expect Rice to be cut so I think theres a chance both are back. Definately need to target one in the draft for depth purposes.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think it's a good idea to sticky this thread? We could contain all the draft/ free agent talk here. Or not.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cut Zach Miller and Sydney Rice to save cap. Resign Thurmond at 2 years 4 mil and Golden Tate at a reasonable number. Cut Clemons or restructure and resign Bennett. Sign a veteran offensive lineman and then...

Draft ASJ!!!!!

Just kidding, I see Luke Willson becoming a good enough threat for us at Tight End position so unless he drops to the 2nd round I say we gotta go offensive lineman

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradley Roby. How the hell is this guy not seen as a top 10 pick??? :what: PLEEEEEEASE drop to the 49ers. :hope:

I really hope you guys don't end up with a guy like Bradley Roby! This guy is a stud. He runs a 4.3 and has incredible instincts as a corner.

He's like a DRC with better instincts and ball skills.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will list 3 players that i would like to see drafted with our first 3 picks.

David Yankey OG from Stanford. He is rated as a 1st or 2nd rounder and when picking 32nd waiting for him with your 64th pick is most likely not going to happen.

Davante Adams WR, now i know this guy should be gone if people are smart but he very will could be there for the Hawks in the 2nd. It all depends on the needs of all the teams below us. If not him then i would settle for Jordan Mathews WR.

Also got a DT to replace either Red Bryont or McDaniel. Daniel McCullers. This guy is 6 foot 7 330 Pounds and will knock down a ton of balls. Work in progress but he has some skill to build on.