• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 CAP status and adjustments

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you spend too much time on the Pats and not quite enough on english as a first language or more aptly the art of writing a literate post. You are obviously lacking in any written skills.

I would say you are a douche but I am betting I will be accused of inciting a riot for poking some testosterone laden illiterate twit.

Now to get back to the point after the child has had his say. Most of us disagreed with the Lloyd release but none of us know what issues were involved in the locker room which may or may not have been an issue. Lloyd's CAP hit for 2014 is $1.5 million in dead money. The Fanane dead money of $1.5 million is the result of deception by Fanene due to an injury. Remove Hernandez and the Pats really have little dead money in comparison.

The remainder are primarily there because dead money resulting from bad draft picks or simply players released because they cannot play or injuries made them not viable like dowling whose bonus money was spread over last year and this. It is a fact of life in the NFL.

NFL Player Contracts, Salaries, and Transactions

This site has reasonable info on all sports teams and good stuff on NFL.

Look closely at Seattle. They have no CAP space and multiple top players are UFA and they need new contracts soon for superstars on defense and Wilson is 1-2 years from a major contract. It is an illusion that Seattle will go on a long run because they have to pay Sherman, Wilson, Wagner, Thomas, Okung and many others. Hard choices need to be made and they can make them but they will lose players and damn good ones. Browner, Thurmond, Bennett, and Tate and others are up this year.

They can get CAP space but only by redoing contracts or cutting players like Rice that cost you dead money. It is part of doing business in the NFL.

Rehone........................that was as clear as it can be written. Thank you for saving me two hours of trying to explain in 6000 words what you did in under 500. Cudos, cudos, cudos.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you spend too much time on the Pats and not quite enough on english as a first language or more aptly the art of writing a literate post. You are obviously lacking in any written skills.

I would say you are a douche but I am betting I will be accused of inciting a riot for poking some testosterone laden illiterate twit.

Now to get back to the point after the child has had his say. Most of us disagreed with the Lloyd release but none of us know what issues were involved in the locker room which may or may not have been an issue. Lloyd's CAP hit for 2014 is $1.5 million in dead money. The Fanane dead money of $1.5 million is the result of deception by Fanene due to an injury. Remove Hernandez and the Pats really have little dead money in comparison.

The remainder are primarily there because dead money resulting from bad draft picks or simply players released because they cannot play or injuries made them not viable like dowling whose bonus money was spread over last year and this. It is a fact of life in the NFL.

Look closely at Seattle. They have no CAP space and multiple top players are UFA and they need new contracts soon for superstars on defense and Wilson is 1-2 years from a major contract. It is an illusion that Seattle will go on a long run because they have to pay Sherman, Wilson, Wagner, Thomas, Okung and many others. Hard choices need to be made and they can make them but they will lose players and damn good ones. Browner, Thurmond, Bennett, and Tate and others are up this year.

They can get CAP space but only by redoing contracts or cutting players like Rice that cost you dead money. It is part of doing business in the NFL.

Seattle's cap situation isn't anything new after a Championship...The Pats lost some key players in whole or partly due to the salary cap since they first won in 2001: Seymour, McGinest, Law, Branch, Givens, Graham, Milloy, Woody, Samuel and Vinatieri to name a couple of handfuls. They went on to win two more.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. Part of winning is having the right contracts at the right time. The point is simply that you will not not have dead money. Even Seattle, relatively low on it, has 8 million.

09boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you spend too much time on the Pats and not quite enough on english as a first language or more aptly the art of writing a literate post. You are obviously lacking in any written skill

At least I can think for myself and not like you or JDM. Can you tell the difference between good dead money like Denver did with cutting Tim Tebow and signing Peyton Manning. It called upgrading your team. Do a little less BB cuckold fan club and think for yourself, and learn math you literate asshole and understand how the cap works. You say nothing but lies hear, I would hate to see your dating profile it must have a picture of Tim Tebow on it. Talk about cat fish. Try living life and move out of your parents basement. Don't tell me you live on your own with your math skills you could never manage a monthly house hold bills. You said , It is a large part of managing the CAP by pushing some money forward. What that make sense, the only thing your pushing is the shit out of your ass that someone pack in.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no "good dead money". All dead money is the result of contracts that you no longer want. "Good dead money" is less of it, and the patriots would be right at the top of the list for lowest amounts of it if it weren't for Hernandez hitting at 7.5 mil.

09boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no "good dead money". All dead money is the result of contracts that you no longer want. "Good dead money" is less of it, and the patriots would be right at the top of the list for lowest amounts of it if it weren't for Hernandez hitting at 7.5 mil.
Please JDM I was talking about the past season 2013 Aaron Hernandez cap hit was 2.5 mil not 7.5 how hard is that to understand. The Patriots did the right thing in cutting Aaron Hernandez. I am a bartender in Boston I have meet Hernandez and seen the crowds he hangs out with and I would never hold Pats in disregard over that. Has far has the Salary Cap it was 123 mil 2013 Don't look at the total cap hit look at the total money they spent. Dead money cost the Pats nothing in dollars but it does in cap space. My point was the Pats wanted to sign Greg Jennings or Emmanuel Sanders but what prevented them from doing it was the salary cap. You tell me with one of them we could have beat the Jets when we where 1 for 12 in first town attempts. We win the Pats host AFC championship game and I think the Pats would have won at home and then anything could happen.

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please JDM I was talking about the past season 2013 Aaron Hernandez cap hit was 2.5 mil not 7.5 how hard is that to understand. The Patriots did the right thing in cutting Aaron Hernandez. I am a bartender in Boston I have meet Hernandez and seen the crowds he hangs out with and I would never hold Pats in disregard over that. Has far has the Salary Cap it was 123 mil 2013 Don't look at the total cap hit look at the total money they spent. Dead money cost the Pats nothing in dollars but it does in cap space. My point was the Pats wanted to sign Greg Jennings or Emmanuel Sanders but what prevented them from doing it was the salary cap. You tell me with one of them we could have beat the Jets when we where 1 for 12 in first town attempts. We win the Pats host AFC championship game and I think the Pats would have won at home and then anything could happen.

Sanders was signed to an offer sheet which was matched by Pittsburgh and had not one single thing to do with CAP space. I remember little talk about Pats signing Jennings but he was overpaid.

The rest of what you have said has little value. A healthy Gronk and a healthy Vereen all year would have made an enormous difference but injuries and change are part of the game and Pats were still 12-4nand in a good position for next year.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Except they were still pretty low on the dead money list.

Jennings was never an option. Sanders got the offer they wanted to give him and Pittsburg matched.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy a heated discussion as much as the next guy. I believe it brings out the best and worst of anyone's argument. Most of the contributors here are Patriots fans or supporters. Hence, calling someone a shitbag or an asshole, makes you and your argument look much less positive.

Because YOU think YOU have all of the RIGHT answers, that doesn't necessarily make them right and generally, 50% of the readers don't agree with you anyway, even if you are right.

I'm not a primrose, believe me, I did four tours of Viet Nam between 1968 and 1972. Asshole and shitbag would be considered a compliment in my day. I do consider the portion of the audience that includes 10, 11, 12 year olds like my grandson who may think that calling their teacher a shitbag or asshole is ok because we see it so often in these threads. Worse, my grandson got into a discussion in another thread and the other guy went after him and wanted his address. He's 12 and I'm pretty sure the other guy was in his 30's. I shut my grandson off because the language got pretty dicey.

Think about your comments before you explode.......you may be dealing with a 12 year old who's actually making you look like a shitbag or an asshole.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS My avatar is my 11 year old grandson last fall breaking away for a 79 yard TD run. At 8 years old he was playing on a 7th and 8th grade indoor football team. He set and still holds all of the NE Indoor Football League passing and passing TD records for all ages through high school. As much as I hate to say it, I may send him to Manning's QB camp this summer because I can't find a camp that will help him improve up here in the northeast.

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS My avatar is my 11 year old grandson last fall breaking away for a 79 yard TD run. At 8 years old he was playing on a 7th and 8th grade indoor football team. He set and still holds all of the NE Indoor Football League passing and passing TD records for all ages through high school. As much as I hate to say it, I may send him to Manning's QB camp this summer because I can't find a camp that will help him improve up here in the northeast.

My son that has been sick went to Manning's QB camp before he got sick and he had the time of his life. It is well run and worth every dime.

09boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy a heated discussion as much as the next guy. I believe it brings out the best and worst of anyone's argument. Most of the contributors here are Patriots fans or supporters. Hence, calling someone a shitbag or an asshole, makes you and your argument look much less positive.

Because YOU think YOU have all of the RIGHT answers, that doesn't necessarily make them right and generally, 50% of the readers don't agree with you anyway, even if you are right.

I'm not a primrose, believe me, I did four tours of Viet Nam between 1968 and 1972. Asshole and shitbag would be considered a compliment in my day. I do consider the portion of the audience that includes 10, 11, 12 year olds like my grandson who may think that calling their teacher a shitbag or asshole is ok because we see it so often in these threads. Worse, my grandson got into a discussion in another thread and the other guy went after him and wanted his address. He's 12 and I'm pretty sure the other guy was in his 30's. I shut my grandson off because the language got pretty dicey.

Think about your comments before you explode.......you may be dealing with a 12 year old who's actually making you look like a shitbag or an asshole.
BigKen swearing on this forum is wrong but you must have parental control on your computer that only see my post or maybe calling someone douche is acceptable word. See we live in a country where people should be able to form your own opinion. People like you and my dad gave us this right and I thank you for it I lost my dad in Desert Storm. I am having my first kid in July and I can't wait. I will teach my kid to be bias and non prejudice. I have seen this before with TKO when he says the Pats are not doing a good job drafting and then the homers come out and attack him because he doesn't think like them. If you're intelligent person like I know you are then you will see that this is a form of prejudice and prejudice comes from ignorance so they need to attack you whether you're black or gay or don't think like them its all the same in one form or another. Sorry I will never be a homer and use the excuse if we where healthy we would have beat Denver that's a copout if I see a problem I solve it that's how you move forward. Sorry I don't spent my time on **** sites yes I do research before I post. Like when the Pats signed Sanders to a 2.5 mil offer sheet the Steelers had 1,919,760.00 left in cap space had the Pats offer 4 mil Steelers said in public that they couldn't match that offer because of the cap space. Maybe if we would have Sanders or Greg Jennings or both who reject New England Patriots' offer of 6 mil maybe Gronk would have never got hurt if Brady had more options on the field.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about siging moss for peanuts he signed for little over 3 mill and we soaked the very best out of him went undefeated and nearly won the sb, then got rid of him when it was time to pay up? what about soaking the crap out of mankins the best guard in the league for nearly six years on a rookie contract when he should have been payed a ton for his performance way earlier? what about getting the best qb in the league brady for 15 millish much less that qbs not as good as him getting 18-20 mill contracts? not to mention him restructuring over and over. what about milking wilfork and welker for years playing on peanuts? you bitching about cap space is truely idiotic.

09boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about siging moss for peanuts he signed for little over 3 mill and we soaked the very best out of him went undefeated and nearly won the sb, then got rid of him when it was time to pay up? what about soaking the crap out of mankins the best guard in the league for nearly six years on a rookie contract when he should have been payed a ton for his performance way earlier? what about getting the best qb in the league brady for 15 millish much less that qbs not as good as him getting 18-20 mill contracts? not to mention him restructuring over and over. what about milking wilfork and welker for years playing on peanuts? you bitching about cap space is truely idiotic.[/QUOT Whats idiotic moron your post helps my case. Shows are cheap they are. Go to bed little boy how old are you 13

JasonCarrier

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about siging moss for peanuts he signed for little over 3 mill and we soaked the very best out of him went undefeated and nearly won the sb, then got rid of him when it was time to pay up? what about soaking the crap out of mankins the best guard in the league for nearly six years on a rookie contract when he should have been payed a ton for his performance way earlier? what about getting the best qb in the league brady for 15 millish much less that qbs not as good as him getting 18-20 mill contracts? not to mention him restructuring over and over. what about milking wilfork and welker for years playing on peanuts? you bitching about cap space is truely idiotic.[/QUOT Whats idiotic moron your post helps my case. Shows are cheap they are. Go to bed little boy how old are you 13

They spend right up to the cap every year (they do leave a bit for injuries and such), they put a value on players and stick to it, doing so they have been the most successful football team since 2000.

Other teams do this, most are not as good as NE doing so and get in tough situations.

Being a fan for so long, maybe you would understand this or at least attempt to. Also it is not about ball washing or being a homer. We are all fans of this team, we all have opinions (right/wrong/whatever). How about not being such a douche canoe and being so immature?

09boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They spend right up to the cap every year (they do leave a bit for injuries and such), they put a value on players and stick to it, doing so they have been the most successful football team since 2000.

Other teams do this, most are not as good as NE doing so and get in tough situations.

Being a fan for so long, maybe you would understand this or at least attempt to. Also it is not about ball washing or being a homer. We are all fans of this team, we all have opinions (right/wrong/whatever). How about not being such a douche canoe and being so immature?

So you call me a douche canoe and call me immature really. You must have family members that use canoe size douches to think of that. Hope it is summer eve.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, keep it on football.

09boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, keep it on football.

I want to end this but if someone calls douche canoe then I will respond. He could have said his point and end it there but MR maturity had to give an insult at the end.

JasonCarrier

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and read your responses in this thread. You go full on attack mode because people have different ideas and opinions.

There is only so many times and ways to tell you the cap situation and how well NE usually manages it. Yet all you do is cop a fit and call people names. That is the epitomy of being a douche.

It's funny that people have posted links and proof and yet you continue your act and path. Its ok, you can be miserable and the rest of us will enjoy this run.

Remember the people who have been doing this for decades and have way more knowledge then any of us. Everyone but you seem to get this.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do I not understand. I explained why the numbers you are talking about are to signs of bad cap management, as they are the same or better than most of the league in dead money. It is essentially impossible to not have at least 10 million worth of dead money with how contracts nowadays are structured.

Keep misrepresenting things as much as you'd like, but you just come across as not having a clue what you're talking about.

I disagree, JDM. I think he has an interesting point. It is well thought out and an interesting angle.
The problem is, he is just wrong. As Rehone has put it so well, take Hernandez out of this and we are in a screaming good position.....