• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014-2015 Offseason thread

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
o's have offers on the table to steve johnson and nolan ( indians and phils are after him ) he is holding out for a major league contract . roch says the o's most likely would offer more money for nolan on an minor l contract . .

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Orioles have avoided arbitration with Tommy Hunter, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports on Twitter. The righty will earn $4.65MM next year, just a quarter million over the projection of MLBTR/Matt Swartz."

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Courtesy of MLBTradeRumors:

Morosi also tweets that the Diamondbacks have received calls from the Orioles regarding their outfield depth. Baltimore is known to be looking for a left-handed hitting outfielder, and both David Peralta and Ender Inciarte would fit that description, Morosi notes.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Morosi also tweets that the Diamondbacks have received calls from the Orioles regarding their outfield depth. Baltimore is known to be looking for a left-handed hitting outfielder, and both David Peralta and Ender Inciarte would fit that description, Morosi notes.

neither have a true track record sounds like a lough pick up to me . :bawling:inciarte is 24 but the other has more power and 27 .

all4ripken

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree this offseason has been truly pathetic thus far...

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No argument here. I can't really think of any positives for this offseason other than getting Manny and Wieters back healthy or re-signing JJ Hardy to an extension (even though that was during the playoffs). Maybe letting DD go to Toronto would be a blessing in disguise... Look at what happened with Boston after he left.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in steves article today he has that dd said that yaz is a 5 tool player and alvarez could be . so we may not over pay to get an outfielder . like i have said if we could find a good first baseman davis did very well in rf . that would give you both pearce and young as dh and outfield and lough as a D replacement along with dearza for D . plus later in the year it would be easier to pick up an so so outfielder .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:only good thing is we haven't given up our arms for hitters . we are pretty deep in pitching that is always a big plus . i would love to see a good ext with tilly .

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if things keep moving the way they are with DD, hopefully he moves on to the Jays and we can place Buck in the front office and recruit Cal to coach the team. We still need to make a move for a hitter/1B and there are still arms available should we consider a trade for someone like Hamels or signing Sherzer/Shields.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Blue Jays and Orioles have reached the point of discussing compensation if current Baltimore executive VP Dan Duquette were to head to Toronto as the club’s new president, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (links to Twitter). The Orioles are “open to his departure,” says Rosenthal, whose sources tell him that some in the organization want him to leave to resolve what has become an uncomfortable situation. No deal is close at present, per the report.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Blue Jays and Orioles have reached the point of discussing compensation if current Baltimore executive VP Dan Duquette were to head to Toronto as the club’s new president, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (links to Twitter). The Orioles are “open to his departure,” says Rosenthal, whose sources tell him that some in the organization want him to leave to resolve what has become an uncomfortable situation. No deal is close at present, per the report.

The time is right and the situation has become uncomfortable since DD wants to leave. After all, he has done nothing this off season to improve the team imo. Having Machado & Wieters back does not count as they were already members of the team. DD has failed us miserably this offseason.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While on the other DD thread I said something to the affect of "I'll believe it when I see it." Well, it's definitely closer to reality at this point then I had imagined, so I'll eat crow for that. But this offseason, he definitely hasn't made any effort that I have seen to sign any noteable free agents that could have helped us and still hasn't made an effort (as far as I know anyways) to try to re-sign Wieters or Davis.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But this offseason, he definitely hasn't made any effort that I have seen to sign any noteable free agents that could have helped us and still hasn't made an effort (as far as I know anyways) to try to re-sign Wieters or Davis.

Maybe that's because if he goes to the Jays he doesn't want us to be good enough to beat the jays.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roch posted this not too long ago: School of Roch: A few thoughts on Duquette before heading home (with Angelos quote)

The main part is this: I reached Angelos on the phone and he denied that the teams are in negotiation.

"I have said previously and I will say it again, Dan is a sophisticated professional and he understands his contract has four remaining years to serve as general manager of the Orioles and he is expected to perform under that contract," Angelos said. "There are no negotiations. Those reports are false."

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Ken Rosenthal on FoxSports.com:

*The Orioles need to part with GM Dan Duquette.

Yes, I noted the strong denial from Orioles owner Peter Angelos after both FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi and I reported that the Orioles had discussed a compensation package that the O's would require for allowing Duquette to become CEO of the Blue Jays.

To which I say: All part of negotiating.

Angelos told Dan Connolly of The (Baltimore) Sun that Duquette to the Jays "is not going to happen." Certainly, I would not expect Angelos to tip his hand. I also would not expect him to part easily with Duquette, who is under contract through 2018.

Here's the problem: Duquette wants the job, according to major-league sources; CEO is a step up from GM -- the highest position, in fact, that an executive can attain.

Duquette's preference is no secret within the Orioles' organization, creating a question of divided loyalties and an uncomfortable working environment. As I've reported previously, some of those employees believe that Angelos should allow Duquette to depart.

What would the Orioles do about a GM? Manager Buck Showalter likely would welcome more responsibility, perhaps even a dual manager/GM role. Special assistant Brady Anderson also could assume expanded duties, and the Orioles could hire an administrative type to make sure the front office ran efficiently.

Could Showalter succeed as both manager and GM? Probably not, considering that a GM's responsibilities are almost too much for one person, much less someone who also is managing. But that is a question for another time.

The bottom line is that Angelos has an employee who wants to be elsewhere. And that is not a healthy situation.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Ken Rosenthal on FoxSports.com:

*The Orioles need to part with GM Dan Duquette.

Yes, I noted the strong denial from Orioles owner Peter Angelos after both FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi and I reported that the Orioles had discussed a compensation package that the O's would require for allowing Duquette to become CEO of the Blue Jays.

To which I say: All part of negotiating.

Angelos told Dan Connolly of The (Baltimore) Sun that Duquette to the Jays "is not going to happen." Certainly, I would not expect Angelos to tip his hand. I also would not expect him to part easily with Duquette, who is under contract through 2018.

Here's the problem: Duquette wants the job, according to major-league sources; CEO is a step up from GM -- the highest position, in fact, that an executive can attain.

Duquette's preference is no secret within the Orioles' organization, creating a question of divided loyalties and an uncomfortable working environment. As I've reported previously, some of those employees believe that Angelos should allow Duquette to depart.

What would the Orioles do about a GM? Manager Buck Showalter likely would welcome more responsibility, perhaps even a dual manager/GM role. Special assistant Brady Anderson also could assume expanded duties, and the Orioles could hire an administrative type to make sure the front office ran efficiently.

Could Showalter succeed as both manager and GM? Probably not, considering that a GM's responsibilities are almost too much for one person, much less someone who also is managing. But that is a question for another time.

The bottom line is that Angelos has an employee who wants to be elsewhere. And that is not a healthy situation.

dd doesn't bring much to the table . i would rather have a life long brady give it a go over a redsox dd . our team is still more andy and joe team than a dd team . let him go north and kick his bum .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best news is manny is excited and ready to go !!!

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Giants, Nori Aoki Agree To One-Year Deal
By Steve Adams [January 16, 2015 at 11:30am CST]
11:30am: Shea tweets that Aoki’s option is valued at $5.5MM, adding that he can earn up to $1.5MM worth of incentives in each year of the deal.

11:06am: The Giants and outfielder Nori Aoki have agreed to a one-year contract with an option for the 2016 season, according to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle (Twitter links). Aoki, a client of CAA Sports, receives a $4.7MM guarantee plus performance bonuses, via Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (Twitter links). He’ll earn $4MM in 2015, and his 2016 option contains a $700K buyout, according to Heyman, who adds that the contract can max out at $12.5MM over two years."

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aoki for a 1 year deal for only 4 million plus a 5.5 2nd year option. Why couldn't the O's do this?