• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 MWC round up and expectations

t0nyintransit

CBS Exile
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of changes for the Mountain West this season with 2 new schools, 3 new coaches, and an inaugural CCG. Divisions have been set for the Mountain (UNM, AFA, CSU, WYO, USU, BSU) and the West (UNLV, UNR, SDSU, FSU, SJSU, UH).

If you enjoy good QB Play, this is the league to watch this year. San Jose's David Fales, Fresno's David Carr, Wyoming's Brett Smith, Utah State's Chuckie Keaton, and Nevada's Cody Fajardo all put up some of the country's best numbers in 2012 and are on the watch from many NFL scouts. In addition to much improved Joe Southwick of Boise State and highly touted Ohio State transfer Taylor Graham of Hawaii, the MWC should see some explosive offense in 2013.

The early favorites in the Mountain division going into fall are heavyweights Boise State and newcomers Utah State. Boise State looks to get the ball rolling again to be the best of the AQs and crash the BCS one last time and a more experienced offense and another fearsome defensive squad should keep them in that conversation. Utah State lost their coach to Wisconsin and will face a new slate (but not unknown) of teams, but promoted a great coach who knows the system and returns a lot on defense and exciting dual threat QB Chuckie Keaton. As always, Air Force will be a force to be reckoned with, and Bob Davie looks to mimick Air Force's succes with the triple option at rebounding New Mexico. Colorado State is desperately looking for something to click with second year coach and ex-Alabama OC Steve Fairchild. If it does, they could be a very dangerous team in the near future, but don't tell that to hated border rivals Wyoming, who could find their beloved but controversial coach Dave Christiansen on the hot seat if they see another disappointing season. Hopefully Brett Smith can stay healthy at QB for them. EOY standings prediction: 1. BSU, 2. USU, 3. AFA, 4. WYO, 5. UNM, 6. CSU

In the West, expectations are high for returning Co-champs Fresno State and San Diego State. San Jose State is also coming off its best season ever and EOY ranking. Like USU, SJSU has lost their coach and are in a new league, but return one of the nation's best quarterbacks and impressive defense. Fresno State is looking to be the team that many have thought they could be over the past 20 years. David Carr could follow his older brothers footsteps and go in the first round of the NFL Draft. SDSU has some questions at QB but have the coaching and depth to make a run. There will be a lot of questions around UNR. While they have great talent, they are without Chris Ault for the first time in decades. Considering no one can run the pistol like Ault did, it's safe to say they might have some trouble transitioning from the Ault era. Hawaiis pro style offense will be good under Norm Chow, but will they ever learn to defend their end zone? Finally, UNLV is giving Bobby Hauck one more year to prove himself before they send him packing and never look back. They have some talent, but can't seem to use it. EOY standings prediction: 1. FSU, 2. SDSU, 3. SJSU, 4. UNR, 5. UH, 6. UNLV

CCG prediction: BSU over FSU

Any other MWC fans or observers that want to throw in their predictions?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First glance I say Boise, Wyoming, USU, AFA, CSU, UNM
SDSU, Fresno, Nevada, SJS, Hawaii, UNLV
but I havent looked at them too much yet. usually get my research done after the draft.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good analysis sir

here's my 2 cents

Mountain
1. Boise State- wouldn't be a fan if I didn't pick them here
2. Utah State- I'm surprised they're not getting any poll love, they return a lot from a really good team last year.
3. Air Force- they're always solid, I'm not happy that we(Boise State) have to play both triple option offenses every year, we have so many struggles against it.
4. New Mexico- Davie's doing some good work.
5. Wyoming- though under Christiansen they have been good every other year
6. Colorado State

West
1. Fresno State- This is a good team, could well spend the season in the top 25.
2. San Jose State- I think Fales lifts them to this spot.
3. San Diego State- QB questions keeps me from putting them higher.
4. UNLV- saw this team a few times last year and looked like a team a year away from success as long as they let Hauck get that chance, I think they contend for a bowl.
5. Nevada- More questions for this team than answers
6. Hawai'i- their defense was just plain awful last year, they'll get shredded again if it doesn't improve.