• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 College Football season predictions

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got cut off. I think OSU has plenty of talent. I will not argue that. I was simply wondering when talent and production would meet. Generally fans are early predicting that. Either way, I do not think we are that far apart on our views.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got cut off. I think OSU has plenty of talent. I will not argue that. I was simply wondering when talent and production would meet. Generally fans are early predicting that. Either way, I do not think we are that far apart on our views.

I agree. I thought you meant 7 of the top 9 defensive linemen were gone in that department. Couldn't be happier that Shazier is still back, he's the most important guy on the defense no doubt. That said, and I know you don't have to believe me, but our DL will be even better this year than last year. Simon was clearly a monster, but the other 3 can be easily replaced. Hankins production wasn't really there, and we have 2 guys in Joel Hale and Tommy Schutt who are both big 300+lb monsters who are both more athletic than Hankins, and both who played a lot last year, as well. Bennett was already slated to start over Goebel, and while I loved Nathan Williams, he was constantly injured. Spence will be an upgrade over him.

I don't think we are either. At this point it's just a matter of seeing those guys on the field. I will saw, though, that I have no doubt you will be hearing the names Noah Spence and Adolphus Washington plenty this year.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually believe you on Washington. I am not so sure on Spence. I think he will probably be solid rushing the passer, I question his ability to stand up in the running game. He maybe a yr away.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets look at who they have beaten:
2012 Georgia, Clemson, Michigan and loss by 2 @ LSU
2011 @Georgia, Florida, Clemson, Nebraska
2010 Georgia, @Florida, then #1 Alabama, Clemson and close regular season loss @Auburn (2010 NC champs)

Not sure what your point is? The last time Nebraska had less than 3 losses was 2001(2). I guess Nebraska should not be ranked in the top 10 any following year? :L
-------
It's also a question of who they haven't beaten or who they seldom beat in their own conference. MY sole point is that preseason polls far too many teams get too much love based on what conference they are in rather than being consistant in beating teams.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall bigred472 saying anything about 'Nebraska should be in the top 10'.
I don't recall him saying anything about Nebraska at all.
-------
I didn't

The topic was South Carolia. You injected Nebraska into the conversation in disneyy fucking moron
fashion because you had nothing meaningful to add. When all else fails attack the poster's team.
Just like you did now.
-------
I believe that's called deflection.

This wasn't about Nebraska. It's about the merits of South Carolina and the opinion of a poster whether they are from Nebraska, Oregon, FAU, or Bumfuck Egypt.
-------
IMO Bumfuck Egypt has a better football team than Nebraska:whistle:

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually believe you on Washington. I am not so sure on Spence. I think he will probably be solid rushing the passer, I question his ability to stand up in the running game. He maybe a yr away.

Spence's specialty is definitely the pass rush, though his speed and athleticism will also help him close off the edge faster than most DE's. Plus, he's still a beast at 250 lbs.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Ole Miss is one of the more interesting teams in America. I thought Freeze should been in the mix for coach of the Year. Nobody did a better job than Freeze in the SEC last yr. That team looked completely different from Sept to Dec. I think they are still a couple years away from competing, but I almost expect them to have one big upset this yr. I dont think anyone has an idea what to expect from Ole Miss this yr.

I figure with them having a lot of talent and a good coach but a young team, would cause them to start slow, pull an upset to turn their season around and get hot late in the year

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to put Nebraska 10-2 at best though.

Year in and year out I've 'expected' them to finally solve their turnover and penalty issues. I've finally conceded that Pelini is not one to focus on fundamental discipline. He appears more determined on spending time teaching complicated X's & O's schemes that are difficult for busy college kids to fully comprehend.

Offensively Nebraska has at least one game where they can't seem to get out of their own way. (See penalties and turnovers)

Defensively there is at least one game where a little wrinkle throws Pelini's two gap into disarray. As evidenced by Ohio St and Wisconsin (in the CCG) last year. His defense is too complicated for the kids to make adjustments on the fly, frustration sets into them, and they give up.

Games I'm concerned with...

Southern Miss - Don't laugh. Yes that (0-12) team from last year. USM has good talent and their new coach Todd Monken (first year) is an offensive guy with decent credentials and pedigree. USM has been known to be giant killers and they could catch Nebraska looking ahead to UCLA the following week.

UCLA - Pelini was outcoached by Mora (1st year at UCLA) last year. UCLA has good talent and should be improved in year 2.

Northwestern - They upset Nebraska in Lincoln last time they played there. This is where the offense potentially forgets fundamentals. We call them bofarts.

@ Michigan - Road game in the Big House. This is where a wrinkle and the atmosphere gets to the defense. See Wisconsin & Michigan in 2011, and Ohio St in 2012.

Michigan St - Stout defense. If they could find an offensive wrinkle, capitalize on a couple turnovers, and keep Nebraska in the low 20's they could win this.

@ Penn St - See defensive let downs in big road games already mentioned. Penn St is also a team nobody knows what to expect from them. Will a year of transfers and sanctions rear their ugly head, or is O'Brien good enough to coach up what he's got? Add in a revenge factor for the perceived robbery on the end zone fumble in Lincoln last year and there's added motivation.

Iowa - Spoiler. Iowa's record against Nebraska is not pretty, but neither was Colorado's and they always gave Nebraska all they can handle.

I don't think we lose at home this season. Too much Offensive firepower with too much veteran experience returning.

Even if our Defense is like it was last season, when you're playing at home your Defense usually does well. I don't see us giving up over 40 points at home, and I don't see us scoring under 40 points at home either.

Michigan and Penn State are my worries.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me back up for just a second........

I do see us scoring under 40 at home against Michigan State.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's conference is new, but it's the same

American-Athletic-Conference-Logo.jpeg

Finally no divisions

1. Louisville Cardinals 11-1(7-1) - Louisville enters this season with a top pro prospect at QB, coming off a big BCS bowl win that wasn't quite expected. Sound familiar? That was West Virginia last year, big difference is Louisville isn't in the Big 12, they're here instead so their record should still be good. Louisville starts the season with a tricky opener against Ohio, I have Louisville winning but you can't rule out the Bobcats. Louisville wins the next 4 rather easily. Rutgers after a short week may provide a challenge, but it's a short week for Rutgers also, Louisville still wins, next game should be another easy win. The road game against USF may provide a challenge if Taggert really pulls some improvement for USF, after another bye Louisville plays at UConn, they lost at home to them last year, somehow road teams have won the last two in that series, Louisville wins. Houston might get a little interesting but I still have Louisville in that one, and they win the next one over Memphis easily too. At this point Louisville is unbeaten and contending for a potential national title birth or at least they're in the top 5, and there's one man you don't wanna go on the road against when you're in the top 5, ole Tommy Tuberville, he pulls the upset over Louisville, spoiling their season.
2. Cincinnati Bearcats 10-2(6-2) - Cincinnati has a new coach in Tommy Tuberville, but the schedule should allow him to ease into things rather easily. Cincinnati plays two Big 10 teams to start out, but they're the two easiest you could play in Purdue and Illinois, if Illinois gets things together they might provide a challenge, but Cincinnati likely will win both handily. They play Northwestern State after that, they're in Louisiana, so Cincinnati is really trying to get FCS teams from far away I guess, Tuberville beat them last year 44-6, expect something similar this year. Cincinnati plays on the road against Miami of Ohio after that, they've won 7 in a row, make it 8. Cincinnati goes on the road against USF, which should be a win, but Taggert could get USF playing really good early on, tough to tell. Cincinnati should win the next 4 easily too. They finally get challenged by a road game against Rutgers, which they lose, then lose again on the road against Houston, Tuberville gets to do what he does best and that is upset a top 5 team, Cincinnati upsets Louisville in the season finale.
3. Houston Cougars 8-4(5-3) - there's so many 3 loss AAC teams I don't know what to do, I'm putting them in order of best overall record. Houston struggled last year without Sumlin and Keenum, Houston should be a lot better this year, the schedule isn't too tough despite moving up conferences. Houston should win their first 5 games without a problem, Rice sadly is the only one that provides a decent challenge. Houston loses their first game to BYU, then on the road against Rutgers and at home to USF. They end the losing streak by winning at UCF. Houston loses to Louisville, but does upset Cincinnati and beat SMU to end the year strong.
4. Rutgers Scarlet Knights 7-5(5-3) - ok there are seriously too many teams in this league with red as their primary color. Rutgers had a very good year last year, surprising some people, unfortunately they lost a lot of their talent to the New England Patriots, maybe one or two players to other NFL teams also. Rutgers starts the season out with a loss in a tough road game to Fresno State, they win the next two games, then lose at home to Arkansas. They also lose road games to SMU and Louisville. They go on a roll with 4 straight wins after that, including wins over Cincinnati and Houston. Rutgers loses on the road to UConn, but beats USF in the finale.
5. SMU Mustangs 6-6(5-3) - SMU is another team new to the league, bad news for them is they can no longer play in the Hawai'i bowl, seeing that June Jones somehow coaches 10 times better on the island than anywhere else, SMU is consistently making bowls, but you have to wonder if they have hit their ceiling with June Jones. This year see's SMU play a very difficult non-conference schedule. SMU starts the season with a loss to Texas Tech, they should win the next one easily, but then SMU loses to Texas A&M and TCU. SMU beats Rutgers at home, SMU will be homefield warriors in the AAC, they have won 9 straight conference home games. SMU wins the next two games, then after a bye they lose on the road to Cincinnati, SMU beats UCONN at home, then loses on the road to USF and Houston, before returning home to beat UCF.
6. Connecticut Huskies 6-6(5-3) - Connecticut seems like a very uninspired program since hiring Pasqualoni, they haven't made a bowl under him yet, despite being in one for the past 4 or 5 years before him, this should be his best team though. UConn does face a tough non-conference schedule. UConn opens the season against Towson, no one knows where that team is from, but they only lost by 16 to LSU last year, despite that UConn will win. UConn then has a very difficult 3 game stretch against two teams that will be very improved this year(Maryland and Buffalo) and Michigan who will beat UConn easily. UConn loses the Maryland game in a close one, as I said they will lose big to Michigan, then lose a tough one on the road against Buffalo. UConn will start conference play with a win over USF, they lose on the road to Cincinnati before beating UCF. UConn loses the next two games, but then ends the year on a 3 game winning streak to make a bowl.
7. South Florida Bulls 6-6(4-4) - USF had a complete collapse last year, as injuries, and turnovers plagued them and caused them to have their worse record in school history at 3-9. This year Willie Taggert is their new coach, he knows how to recruit very well, and is an excellent game coach too, as he led Western Kentucky to a bowl after taking over the program when they were the worst program in college football. It's tough to tell how much improvement Taggert will lead them to this year, this is a team who could be a potential surprise team and a major turnaround if things go really well. USF starts out with an easy win, but then goes on the road against Michigan State in a game that will likely result in a loss, USF should easily win over Florida Atlantic though. USF see's the schedule get rough and they lose their next 4 games, but they turn it around and go on a 4 game winning streak before losing to Rutgers to end the year.
8. UCF Golden Knights 4-8(2-6) - UCF had a good year last year, but for whatever reason this is another program that's up and down year by year, so this year is a down year according to that trend. To add to it they lose 7 of their top 10 tacklers on defense, while entering a new conference, plus they get non-conference games against Penn State and South Carolina, it will all lead up to a disappointing year. UCF will win the first two games with not much problem. They lose on the road to Penn State after that. UCF gets a home game against South Carolina, though chances are there will be more Florida Gator fans who want to see Spurrier again than actual UCF or South Carolina fans at the game, UCF loses. UCF beats Memphis, but then hits some of the tougher teams and loses the next 3. UCF wins on the road against Temple after that then loses their final 3 games.
9. Memphis Tigers 2-10(1-7) - oddly enough Memphis actually improved quite a bit last year they won their last 3 games so they enter this season hot, but unfortunately they have a lot of improvement to go and the schedule is tougher. Memphis starts the season out 0-7 before beating Tennessee-Martin in November, because apparently Memphis also thinks its in the SEC, though it's more acceptable for them, they need that game. Memphis loses the next two, then avoids being the first AAC team in the basement by winning at home against Temple, they end with a loss to UConn.
10. Temple Owls 3-9(0-8) - Temple has a lot of work to do to be competitive in this league, this year they have a new head coach, and lost their only really good offensive weapon in Montel Harris. This year they probably won't win an AAC game, but other than the road opener against Notre Dame their non-conference schedule is pretty easy. Temple will likely get crushed in the first two games, before winning against Fordham, and beating Idaho in a very random road game. Temple loses the next two but then beats Army, before losing the last 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I thought you meant 7 of the top 9 defensive linemen were gone in that department. Couldn't be happier that Shazier is still back, he's the most important guy on the defense no doubt. That said, and I know you don't have to believe me, but our DL will be even better this year than last year. Simon was clearly a monster, but the other 3 can be easily replaced. Hankins production wasn't really there, and we have 2 guys in Joel Hale and Tommy Schutt who are both big 300+lb monsters who are both more athletic than Hankins, and both who played a lot last year, as well. Bennett was already slated to start over Goebel, and while I loved Nathan Williams, he was constantly injured. Spence will be an upgrade over him.

I don't think we are either. At this point it's just a matter of seeing those guys on the field. I will saw, though, that I have no doubt you will be hearing the names Noah Spence and Adolphus Washington plenty this year.

I think Adolphis Washington is in for a huge breakout, he looked like a pure beast when he was able to get in last year.

I think the biggest recruit Ohio State had was Brad Roby returning for another year....he may be the best CB in the country

LBer depth and play after Shazier is a big concern (the biggest concern IMO that this team has)....hopefully Mike Mitchell and Trey Johnson can show something right away to shore that up

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Adolphis Washington is in for a huge breakout, he looked like a pure beast when he was able to get in last year.

I think the biggest recruit Ohio State had was Brad Roby returning for another year....he may be the best CB in the country

LBer depth and play after Shazier is a big concern (the biggest concern IMO that this team has)....hopefully Mike Mitchell and Trey Johnson can show something right away to shore that up

No doubt Mike Mitchell make a big impact this season. I still can't believe Meyer stole him away from Texas. Trey is also a baller. No worries... Our biggest problem was punter and special teams but I think the new Aussie kicker will step up.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-
I am very interested in Mitchell. Texas kid that wasnt offered by the local schools. Polarizing recuit amongst Texas fans. Many wanted him to be offered. Others tagged him as Mike Mamalu Part 2. Some talk his dad was the reason he was not offered. I thought he looked like a DE. His film and athletic ability did not quite match. It will be interesting to see if he works out

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt Mike Mitchell make a big impact this season. I still can't believe Meyer stole him away from Texas. Trey is also a baller. No worries... Our biggest problem was punter and special teams but I think the new Aussie kicker will step up.

If the Aussie punter can punt as good in in-game type situations as he does in his camp tapes then we are set at punter....have to wait and see on that one though

I think the return game will improve this year....Philly Brown was a capable punt returner but we really couldnt find anyone for kickoffs....think one of the freshmen will step up and improve that area (Dontre Wilson i'm looking at you)

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry BoiseStateFan27. The Huskies are not losing their home opener at the new Husky stadium against BSU.

But besides that, your analysis of their schedule was solid. Add the win against BSU, and I'm giving them a 9-3 record this year.

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good analysis on the MWC 27,

I agree that we drop 2 - 3 games this year. I have us losing to UW and BYU on the road and possibly even 1 at home. Unexpectedly losing 2 key starters on D this spring hurt. Plus we have 43 Freshmen on the team (Redshirt + True Frosh). Very young team. Talented but very young nonetheless.

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry BoiseStateFan27. The Huskies are not losing their home opener at the new Husky stadium against BSU.

But besides that, your analysis of their schedule was solid. Add the win against BSU, and I'm giving them a 9-3 record this year.

Yeah, I have to agree with you here.

Boise State is very, very young with 43 freshmen. Plus UW is getting stronger with opening a new Husky stadium....I don't see Washington losing this game to anyone outside of the top 15 and as good as Boise State is -- we are not Top 15 to open the season.

Although Boise State will give a good hard fight. Count on that. should be a great game to watch. I have Washington winning by 7 perhaps even 2 scores if Prince gets rolling.