• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 College Football season predictions

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I would put SDSU higher on the list, they are a borderline ranked team this year, and I'd take them over Kansas State. When you're comparing the bottom 6 games against horrible teams, what's the point? With those top 4, all of those games would be toss-ups IMO. Landslide? Hardly. Also, why are you comparing a team who is projected to finish 4th in the conference vs. one who is projected to finish 1st? I also didn't ask about Oklahoma's schedule per se, I moreso asked why you thought the Big 12 was tougher.
-
I would guess much is based on the last few yrs. I also think Big 10 has some serious garbage at the bottom of the conference. I do not consider PSU to be very good. I think overall the Big 12 is better based on a dearth of mediocre to solid. The top is not very different. It will be a much closer argument this yr than people realize.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I would guess much is based on the last few yrs. I also think Big 10 has some serious garbage at the bottom of the conference. I do not consider PSU to be very good. I think overall the Big 12 is better based on a dearth of mediocre to solid. The top is not very different. It will be a much closer argument this yr than people realize.

A dearth? I'd say it's the exact opposite. It seems like that is all the Big 12 has this year. None of the teams are fantastic or close to elite. Texas and Oklahoma State are both solid. TCU is above average to solid. Oklahoma is going to have a rough go of it. I'm not high on KSU at all. Baylor is a complete crapshoot. This is why I'm not high on them. I think 2-3 teams in the B1G could win the Big 12 this year, if not 4 (Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and possibly Wisconsin). Conferences shouldn't be judged on how good they are in the middle down. If you want to say the bottom of the Big 12 is better than the bottom of the B1G, that's fine. I won't disagree. I don't see how it plays into the strength of the conferences though, especially when the Big 12 lacks and truly elite teams.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be afraid to put either OSU or Texas up against OSU. i think they are extremely over-rated based on an expected weak schedule, which in and of itself helps prove the BSU fans pt. OSU lost a ton upfront and people are making a huge leap of faith that they can perform at a high level. Trying to figure out what makes Wisconsin a good team? They were 8-6 last yr. Bring back 15, but nothing crazy

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I would put SDSU higher on the list, they are a borderline ranked team this year, and I'd take them over Kansas State. When you're comparing the bottom 6 games against horrible teams, what's the point? With those top 4, all of those games would be toss-ups IMO. Landslide? Hardly. Also, why are you comparing a team who is projected to finish 4th in the conference vs. one who is projected to finish 1st? I also didn't ask about Oklahoma's schedule per se, I moreso asked why you thought the Big 12 was tougher.

So move SDSU up a notch or two and move the rest down. It still doesn't change the snapshot of the two side by side. Top to bottom the Big 12 is stronger than the B1G no matter how you slice it.

In responce to your last question, could it really be laid out any clearer?

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So move SDSU up a notch or two and move the rest down. It still doesn't change the snapshot of the two side by side. Top to bottom the Big 12 is stronger than the B1G no matter how you slice it.

In responce to your last question, could it really be laid out any clearer?

All you are doing is saying "The Big 12 is better" with no evidence or fact whatsoever. That doesn't make anything clear.

The Mountain West is better than the SEC. It's clear. See? Without any kind of actual support, it doesn't hold water.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be afraid to put either OSU or Texas up against OSU. i think they are extremely over-rated based on an expected weak schedule, which in and of itself helps prove the BSU fans pt. OSU lost a ton upfront and people are making a huge leap of faith that they can perform at a high level. Trying to figure out what makes Wisconsin a good team? They were 8-6 last yr. Bring back 15, but nothing crazy

Ohio State is also replacing those guys up front with insanely talented guys that all have game experience (half of which have starts under their belts). The same can't be said of Oklahoma State's losses.

Hard to call an Urban Meyer-led team overrated with his track record, too. He's accomplished more than Gundy and Brown combined, so bring it on. It's not even close to a leap of faith assuming they can perform at a high level. Who would you say is better than them and why?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State is also replacing those guys up front with insanely talented guys that all have game experience (half of which have starts under their belts). The same can't be said of Oklahoma State's losses.

Hard to call an Urban Meyer-led team overrated with his track record, too. He's accomplished more than Gundy and Brown combined, so bring it on. It's not even close to a leap of faith assuming they can perform at a high level. Who would you say is better than them and why?
-

It is hard to know. Most of Urbans record is coaching other players. Issue arose at Florida when his kids became the majority of the team and it ended up a cesspool by the end of his tenure. His last yr was 8-5. Difference could simply be Mack didnt quit when things got tough. Even if you disregard that, you are basically saying that OSU is based on faith. It may work out, but you do not know. Rankings are great, but DL tend to develop slower than skill positions. It would be quite reasonable to expect them to be inconsistent and flash ability. By the way, OSU has some very solid DTs, Lewis is stud at LB, and CB is a strength. I do not think Ohio State is much different from Texas. Both will have excellent offenses and the development of a the front 7 will decide their fate. OSU only brings back 13 starters.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you are doing is saying "The Big 12 is better" with no evidence or fact whatsoever. That doesn't make anything clear.

The Mountain West is better than the SEC. It's clear. See? Without any kind of actual support, it doesn't hold water.

What??? First mistake on my part (and it is my bad) is that you would look at the comparison in an even non-objective way but have an argument. Instead you said "Just because you think 2+2=4, don't let your eyes deceive you. In a 5th plane somewhere in the universe purple is orange and 2 is really 3. And to make it worse you actually typed "See?". Like I'm going to immediately understand how a person on LSD should be so facsinated with staring at their hand for hours on end.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What??? First mistake on my part (and it is my bad) is that you would look at the comparison in an even non-objective way but have an argument. Instead you said "Just because you think 2+2=4, don't let your eyes deceive you. In a 5th plane somewhere in the universe purple is orange and 2 is really 3. And to make it worse you actually typed "See?". Like I'm going to immediately understand how a person on LSD should be so facsinated with staring at their hand for hours on end.

Wow, that is one of the most incoherent rants I've ever read. I didn't say anything about "2+2". That's an absolute fact. There's nothing at all that would suggest the Big 12 is better than the B1G this year when you do some actual research, as I have. Thanks for actually responding to that instead of just ignoring it and going into some unqualified rant about nothing.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-

It is hard to know. Most of Urbans record is coaching other players. Issue arose at Florida when his kids became the majority of the team and it ended up a cesspool by the end of his tenure. His last yr was 8-5. Difference could simply be Mack didnt quit when things got tough. Even if you disregard that, you are basically saying that OSU is based on faith. It may work out, but you do not know. Rankings are great, but DL tend to develop slower than skill positions. It would be quite reasonable to expect them to be inconsistent and flash ability. By the way, OSU has some very solid DTs, Lewis is stud at LB, and CB is a strength. I do not think Ohio State is much different from Texas. Both will have excellent offenses and the development of a the front 7 will decide their fate. OSU only brings back 13 starters.

Most of Urban's record is coaching UP other players. Every stop he's had has resulted in a tremendous improvement from the previous regime (BG, Utah and Florida). That's undeniable. He's already showed the makings at OSU, taking a 6-7 team to 12-0. I'm not sure what you mean by "Difference could simply be Mack didn't quit when things got tough". Meyer leaving Florida has 0 to do with this conversation, but nice try at taking a jab at the guy. My point was that he is simply a much better coach than Brown, which he is. He's proven it. I'm not sure what you mean when you say DL tend to develop slower than skill positions. That is a very, very vague statement with plenty of examples to the opposite. As I also said, several of our replacements have starting experience already. Will they come in and be the best D-line in the nation right away? No. Will they end up being one of the best? Yes. Our pass rush this year will be better than it has been in several years. Defensive line has been (thankfully) a major focus in our last 3 recruiting classes so talent and depth is not a big issue.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of Urban's record is coaching UP other players. Every stop he's had has resulted in a tremendous improvement from the previous regime (BG, Utah and Florida). That's undeniable. He's already showed the makings at OSU, taking a 6-7 team to 12-0. I'm not sure what you mean by "Difference could simply be Mack didn't quit when things got tough". Meyer leaving Florida has 0 to do with this conversation, but nice try at taking a jab at the guy. My point was that he is simply a much better coach than Brown, which he is. He's proven it. I'm not sure what you mean when you say DL tend to develop slower than skill positions. That is a very, very vague statement with plenty of examples to the opposite. As I also said, several of our replacements have starting experience already. Will they come in and be the best D-line in the nation right away? No. Will they end up being one of the best? Yes. Our pass rush this year will be better than it has been in several years. Defensive line has been (thankfully) a major focus in our last 3 recruiting classes so talent and depth is not a big issue.
-
I never said improvement did not happen under Urban. He never saw a recruit graduate at BG or Utah. He has won just 1 conference championship when the majority of his recruits were comprised his team. My comment was not a swipe at Urban, simply a statement of fact. My comment on Mack and Urban is simple. Had Mack left after one bad season his reputation would be much different. If Urban stayed at Florida, I would guess his reputation would have taken a hit also. As to the pass rush it maybe better, but that is an assumption. Will underclassman hold up vs the run? That is actually more important playing in the Big 10. Making a team a NC favorite that relies on underclassmen in the front 7 is a huge leap of faith. I am simply pting out the obvious. YOur retort is sophomores will rise to the occasion. That maybe true, but that blind faith more often leads to heartbreak for fans.

Kid Vicarious

FearLes
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Ole Miss will beat us this year. NO WAY! We'll come in 2nd in the west. I've got a feeling that's the best we can do. Even if we do catch bama on their heels and beat them we still don't win the west.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I never said improvement did not happen under Urban. He never saw a recruit graduate at BG or Utah. He has won just 1 conference championship when the majority of his recruits were comprised his team. My comment was not a swipe at Urban, simply a statement of fact. My comment on Mack and Urban is simple. Had Mack left after one bad season his reputation would be much different. If Urban stayed at Florida, I would guess his reputation would have taken a hit also. As to the pass rush it maybe better, but that is an assumption. Will underclassman hold up vs the run? That is actually more important playing in the Big 10. Making a team a NC favorite that relies on underclassmen in the front 7 is a huge leap of faith. I am simply pting out the obvious. YOur retort is sophomores will rise to the occasion. That maybe true, but that blind faith more often leads to heartbreak for fans.

What does coaching reputation have to do with this? We're talking about accomplishments, and Urban has more of them than Brown. I couldn't care less about reputation, I care about results.

Also, who said all of our defensive linemen are underclassmen? It's half/half, and the sophomores each saw a decent amount of time last year. Also, when it comes to defensive ends, there are plenty of guys that have experience that are just average because they don't have the elite skillset. Both of our guys have that. They'll have their bad moments, just like any defensive lineman will. They've both shown their skillset multiple times on the field, and have also had an entire offseason working against one of the best offensive lines in the nation, so being ready isn't a big concern of mine. It's not an assumption that the pass rush will be better, either. Our 2nd leading sack person last year was one of these sophomores who wasn't even a starter, so what does that tell you?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Ole Miss will beat us this year. NO WAY! We'll come in 2nd in the west. I've got a feeling that's the best we can do. Even if we do catch bama on their heels and beat them we still don't win the west.
-
Ole Miss is one of the more interesting teams in America. I thought Freeze should been in the mix for coach of the Year. Nobody did a better job than Freeze in the SEC last yr. That team looked completely different from Sept to Dec. I think they are still a couple years away from competing, but I almost expect them to have one big upset this yr. I dont think anyone has an idea what to expect from Ole Miss this yr.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does coaching reputation have to do with this? We're talking about accomplishments, and Urban has more of them than Brown. I couldn't care less about reputation, I care about results.

Also, who said all of our defensive linemen are underclassmen? It's half/half, and the sophomores each saw a decent amount of time last year. Also, when it comes to defensive ends, there are plenty of guys that have experience that are just average because they don't have the elite skillset. Both of our guys have that. They'll have their bad moments, just like any defensive lineman will. They've both shown their skillset multiple times on the field, and have also had an entire offseason working against one of the best offensive lines in the nation, so being ready isn't a big concern of mine. It's not an assumption that the pass rush will be better, either. Our 2nd leading sack person last year was one of these sophomores who wasn't even a starter, so what does that tell you?
-

Is the record that far apart? Both played for 2 titles. Mack won one and lost one. Urban won both. Mack's run at Texas until 2010 was one of the best runs people have seen. Meyer's has yet to establish he can run a program for 10 yrs at a high level. I think he is a great coach, but after watching the end of Florida I do have some questions.

#2 in sacks was Shazier. Washington looks legit, but he is not going to replace Simon's 9 sacks. Spence has plenty of ability, but his 1 career sack is hardly terrifying. Top 3 DL in TFLs are all gone. In fact 7 of the top 9 are gone according to CFB stats. I am not saying it is impossible, but you are assuming it is a done deal. I happen to question whether or not all the new starters can bring production that matches the players they played behind last yr. Like I stated earlier, I think you may see the real difference in the running game.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
but I almost expect them to have one big upset this yr. I dont think anyone has an idea what to expect from Ole Miss this yr.

9/14 @ tu. :nod:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9/14 @ tu. :nod:
-
It is possible, but I do not think that would be considered a major upset. I have seen Ole Miss ranked in a few pre-season polls, albeit 24-25. Texas is 14. I am just happy that game is early in the yr. I do not think you want a piece of Ole Miss in November as the cubs continue to grow up.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not counting out trip to the Grove as an easy W either. They have consistently gotten better since y'all spanked them last year.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-

Is the record that far apart? Both played for 2 titles. Mack won one and lost one. Urban won both. Mack's run at Texas until 2010 was one of the best runs people have seen. Meyer's has yet to establish he can run a program for 10 yrs at a high level. I think he is a great coach, but after watching the end of Florida I do have some questions.

#2 in sacks was Shazier. Washington looks legit, but he is not going to replace Simon's 9 sacks. Spence has plenty of ability, but his 1 career sack is hardly terrifying. Top 3 DL in TFLs are all gone. In fact 7 of the top 9 are gone according to CFB stats. I am not saying it is impossible, but you are assuming it is a done deal. I happen to question whether or not all the new starters can bring production that matches the players they played behind last yr. Like I stated earlier, I think you may see the real difference in the running game.

Sorry, meant 2nd on the defensive line. And why can't he replace that? He had 1/3 as many sacks in well under 1/3 as many snaps. Generally freshmen don't get worse as sophomores. Washington also had more snaps than Spence, but both are more than apt to take over their respective spots. The run defense, I understand. One of our starters, Michael Bennett, was supposed to be a starter all last year but had a groin issue he was dealing with so we didn't over-do it. Hankins was a solid DT, but in my mind rather overrated. We have more than 1 guy that is in his mold to replace him. Garrett Goebel and Nathan Williams were decent but not elite, so it isn't like we're replacing world-beaters there. Also, we return 29.5 out of 64 TFL as a team, so I'm happy with that. I'm not sure where you're seeing 7 of 9 DL in TFL are gone. The top 3 (starters) are gone. Washington tied for 4th, then Spence, Bennett and Steve Miller are behind him and all return. I respect what you're talking about in terms of run support, and that could be an area of concern. However it won't be for a lack of talent. They may struggle early on, but the talent and depth is most certainly there.