• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 season thread

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets also not forget about Colby... Despite everything, dude has been a workhouse for this team/rotation...and has been lights out in the postseason.

I know everyone wants to cut bait with him...but to me... I resign him. He provides the veteran presence the youth needs IMO.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry i keep forgetting that some on here are opposed to re-signing players. i am not talking about throwing big money at every player with an expiring contract as far as i'm concerned i hope they let Torrealba disappear there are a bunch of backup catcher we can bring in to replace him. but we're talking 2 players that are integral parts of this team and you'd let them walk without making any attempt to re-sign them. Name a prospect or free agent that can step in for Hamilton or Napoli and continue the production that both bring to the team. and any trade for a quality player or players to replace one or both is going to severely impact our minor system.

I'm pretty sure none of us have ever said anything of the sort. Look dude, all of us want to keep those guys, and hope that the FO can come to a reasonable agreement with them. All we're saying is that is if someone were to come along and throw Pujols or A-Rod money at Hamilton(which is very possible), it would be unwise to try and match or beat that kind of offer, given his age, injury history, and the facts that we have a lot of money tied up in other players and still have a pretty good team without him. There comes a point where a player just isn't worth as much to your team as another team thinks he's worth. This is just a fundamental rule of sports economics. Every time someone expresses this sort of sentiment, you come in with this "You guys don't want to re-sign players, you just let them walk, how will we replace them, what if the Angels sign him, how will we compete with them, omg what are we going to do" bullshit. Life in baseball goes on. A good example of this would be pointing out how upset you were when we let CJ walk because those 16 wins were oh so hard to replace, yet here we are at 10-2 and the Angels by all accounts don't look anywhere near as complete of a team.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offer Nap 5@$55M with team option and zero no-trade protection
Offer Josh 5@$90M with incentives like MVP, WS, and WS MVP that could push it up another $15M or so.

I'd be ok with both of those numbers, and if they want more than that then good luck.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure none of us have ever said anything of the sort. Look dude, all of us want to keep those guys, and hope that the FO can come to a reasonable agreement with them. All we're saying is that is if someone were to come along and throw Pujols or A-Rod money at Hamilton(which is very possible), it would be unwise to try and match or beat that kind of offer, given his age, injury history, and the facts that we have a lot of money tied up in other players and still have a pretty good team without him. There comes a point where a player just isn't worth as much to your team as another team thinks he's worth. This is just a fundamental rule of sports economics. Every time someone expresses this sort of sentiment, you come in with this "You guys don't want to re-sign players, you just let them walk, how will we replace them, what if the Angels sign him, how will we compete with them, omg what are we going to do" bullshit. Life in baseball goes on. A good example of this would be pointing out how upset you were when we let CJ walk because those 16 wins were oh so hard to replace, yet here we are at 10-2 and the Angels by all accounts don't look anywhere near as complete of a team.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I was about to go dig some quotes up about how upset you and one or two others were that Texas didn't throw more money at Cj than he was worth to keep him from going to the angels. You guys were saying how this felt like Tom Hicks.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offer Josh 5@$90M with incentives like MVP, WS, and WS MVP that could push it up another $15M or so.

I'd be ok with both of those numbers, and if they want more than that then good luck.

If Nap continues to put numbers up like last year it will take more than 5 at 55m.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nap continues to put numbers up like last year it will take more than 5 at 55m.

That is why I offer it now :)

Actually, I'd wait for after the DET series. A little leaguer could hit HR's in Fenway off of a tee.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly what I was thinking. I was about to go dig some quotes up about how upset you and one or two others were that Texas didn't throw more money at Cj than he was worth to keep him from going to the angels. You guys were saying how this felt like Tom Hicks.

never said "throw more money at CJ than he's worth". i did say that we should have made a reasonable offer to him but it turned out we never even made an offer at all. you read my posts and say that i'm all about making unreasonable offers to every player with an expiring contracts when my point is only that when a player, like Hamilton or Napoli, is an integral part of the team with his bat and glove you make a reasonable effort to keep them with the team.

my hope is Nolan & JD are willing to make that move. Apparently they didn't feel that CJ was an integral part of the pitching staff and i was wrong about that. for that you have my eternal apology.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

those are both reasonable offers. i could see Hamilton taking that and running with it. Napoli might want a little more but it's a good starting point in the negotiating process

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those are both reasonable offers. i could see Hamilton taking that and running with it. Napoli might want a little more but it's a good starting point in the negotiating process

I think Josh would be good with it as well. I agree about Nap as well. I think he asked for 12M in arb and got 9.5. So 11 per would be closer to what he wants and they could always decrease it so he is making 12 the next couple of years and then only 10 at the end.

Sure is easy to spend someone elses money :lol:

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Cow!!! I just looked at the standings and we are 6 GAMES UP on the Angels only 2 weeks into the season! I know its only two weeks into the season, but wow!

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here we go. First real big test of the season and its a doozy, a 4 gamer on the road against a very good club. Comerica has been a house of horrors for us in recent years. The weather is going to be better for football, not baseball. And the Tigers have a great team and are playing well. I'm hoping Texas can get a split in Detroit. With the weather I'm a little worried about coming out of this series with an injury or two but if we come home 12-4 with a healthy roster that would be great.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be happy with a split. I want it to be crystal clear who the best in the AL is.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here we go. First real big test of the season and its a doozy, a 4 gamer on the road against a very good club. Comerica has been a house of horrors for us in recent years. The weather is going to be better for football, not baseball. And the Tigers have a great team and are playing well. I'm hoping Texas can get a split in Detroit. With the weather I'm a little worried about coming out of this series with an injury or two but if we come home 12-4 with a healthy roster that would be great.

Detroit's defense gets exposed this series, terribly bad defenders at 3B, 1B, SS, and LF

Only way to get any quality defense is to give up a quality bat

Going against Wilk, Porcello, Verlander and Smyly

We'll lose one of the games pitched by Porcello or Verlander, win the other 3

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we take 3 out of 4 on the road against the Tigers that would be awesome and amazing. I'll take it.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ESPN is unhappy because their favorite teams are not doing so well and they are getting run into the ground by teams like the Rangers so they are TRYING to find holes in the freaking awesome and amazing Rangers. Today one of their writers has decided that Yu Darvish will not be as good as advertised and will not be an ace. I mean he gave up 2 hits to the Tigers...someone send this bum down! The Rangers are 3-0 in games he has pitched and he was improved in each start. Plus lets not forget this is his 3rd start of his ROOKIE YEAR! Geez ESPN keep printing garbage. Here is what I wrote in response:

gregrey972I guess all aces dominate the league by their 3rd start of their rookie year. Man these people are either clueless or its sour milk because their favorite Northeastern team didn't aquire him. Maybe both. Either way, I am happy with the fact that I have seen steady improvement in each of his starts as he gets more comfortable with his surroundings. That can not be said for many rookies....more

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again Wash shows he knows what he is doing, just want to say that. I remember in ST some, not here but in the media, were wondering if the Rangers were suffering from the game 6 hangover because we weren't hitting or winning games. Ron even went on a post game show to say "fans, don't worry. This is ST and when the real games get here we will be ready".

And they are. This team is stacked from the very top of ownership to the very bottom of the minors.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ESPN is unhappy because their favorite teams are not doing so well and they are getting run into the ground by teams like the Rangers so they are TRYING to find holes in the freaking awesome and amazing Rangers. Today one of their writers has decided that Yu Darvish will not be as good as advertised and will not be an ace. I mean he gave up 2 hits to the Tigers...someone send this bum down! The Rangers are 3-0 in games he has pitched and he was improved in each start. Plus lets not forget this is his 3rd start of his ROOKIE YEAR! Geez ESPN keep printing garbage. Here is what I wrote in response:

gregrey972I guess all aces dominate the league by their 3rd start of their rookie year. Man these people are either clueless or its sour milk because their favorite Northeastern team didn't aquire him. Maybe both. Either way, I am happy with the fact that I have seen steady improvement in each of his starts as he gets more comfortable with his surroundings. That can not be said for many rookies....more

What would make you say that? :burt:

Mike Napoli homers in 4th straight game as Tigers rout Tigers
found at
Texas Rangers vs. Detroit Tigers - Recap - April 19, 2012 - ESPN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YcYMF.jpg

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think he's referring to the game recap

I know. I found the article he was talking about. The one about 10 things about this season, and #1 is Yu already looking like a bust because he isn't being Ace material.