• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 season thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah shop them and lets see what we can get.......he hasnt been mentioned either but i wonder if murphy gets thrown around in some trade talks......i like him a lot but i just see him as the most expendable OF

I like Murphy a lot too, and I consider him to be a pretty damn solid player, so if we're going to make a trade I would expect a fairly decent upgrade in return. Would love to see them put something together for a guy like Willingham, he'd be a beast at BPIA.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We aren't near as good as I thought we were earlier in the season.

Calm down buddy. They're just not playing very well right now. It's a 162 game marathon, not a sprint. If they can play .500 baseball when they're slumping and go on some big tears (like we know they can and will) they'll win the division handedly.

Stinky Britches

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calm down buddy. They're just not playing very well right now. It's a 162 game marathon, not a sprint. If they can play .500 baseball when they're slumping and go on some big tears (like we know they can and will) they'll win the division handedly.

NO CRAPOLA.

Seriously. We sure got a deal with a lot of chicken littles around here.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jorge Soler is now a FA...I'd rather see them make an offer on him instead of trading a couple arms for another OF'er. I suppose it all depends on their faith in Martin.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jorge Soler is now a FA...I'd rather see them make an offer on him instead of trading a couple arms for another OF'er. I suppose it all depends on their faith in Martin.

THis is what I was coming to ask. Think Texas even puts in an offer? Soler projects to be a RF, Martin is a CF. I'd say Soler could be the replacement for Cruz, but you don't pay that kind of money for a guy to sit on the bench for two years until Cruz is free.

I'm thinking Texas doesn't even submit an offer at this point. Too much money for a position we don't have a current need for. If Cruz were in the last year of his contract, maybe.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THis is what I was coming to ask. Think Texas even puts in an offer? Soler projects to be a RF, Martin is a CF. I'd say Soler could be the replacement for Cruz, but you don't pay that kind of money for a guy to sit on the bench for two years until Cruz is free.

I'm thinking Texas doesn't even submit an offer at this point. Too much money for a position we don't have a current need for. If Cruz were in the last year of his contract, maybe.

Soler is only 20, there's no guarantee that he's even ready for ML action yet, ala Martin, Soler could always be more insurance in case Hamilton leaves via FA

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soler is only 20, there's no guarantee that he's even ready for ML action yet, ala Martin, Soler could always be more insurance in case Hamilton leaves via FA

Hearing he wants $35M. Is it worth that for insurance in a couple of years? You are talking about having a guy in the minors making $6-$7million a year.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearing he wants $35M. Is it worth that for insurance in a couple of years? You are talking about having a guy in the minors making $6-$7million a year.

Next year potentially? No guarantee Hamilton comes back, and if he does and you believe Soler is the real deal, you can trade Cruz if Hamilton re-signs

All these are options and its all about talent acquisition, especially at potentially weak positions in the future

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy Oswalts line from his last start against okc.

6ip/6 hits/2R/2ER/1BB/5K/0HR/PC 100-70strikes

Looks like he's just about ready. I think he'll be called now, but they may want to give him one more start though with as bad as Feldman has been I can't imagine why. Oswalt is a pro and should be able to come in and be effective.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well well, just read an interesting column. Said that, according to that Philly writer, the Phillies could/should trade Lee. Granted it isn't an industry "insider" as far as I can tell that is talking. But sure would be funny if Lee ended up being shopped. He has 9 team no trade protection, so that is pretty good. But think someone like CWS is on that list? Maybe KC? not sure of their willingness to spend, but they have the young players the Phillies would want in return.

Sure would be funny if Lee missed out on a second WS run (which I think we might have won if we had him) for the Phillies only to turn around and already be the focus of trade speculation. WOrd is they can't afford to keep both Lee and Hamels, and would trade Lee to free up money for Hamels as well as restock their thin farm system.

One thing is for sure, I bet Texas isn't in on the bidding process. Not for that massive contract from THAT guy. Nolan doesn't seem like the type to forgive and forget for a $20+million 33 year old pitcher that has been on the DL a few times recently.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorting through what TEX SP and RP situation may look like going forward near term with the following assumptions:

- Oswalt activation to make the 22 June start against Colorado at RBIA. If he is not ready and Holland is also not ready ... then Grimm makes a second start. If Oswalt is activated for this start ... then TEX options Kirkman to AAA.

- Holland could be activated 21 June but suspect he will be activated to make the 25 June start in lieu of Feldman versus DET at RBIA. When Holland activated Feldman goes back to long relief and Grimm is optioned to AAA (no sense him going back to Frisco and that ought to light a fire under Perez and Ramirez).

- Whenever Uehara is ready ... he is activated and Sheppers optioned to AAA.

- Whenever Ogando is ready ... he is activated and Martin is optioned to AAA.

- Whenever Feliz is ready ... he is activated to the bullpen and Lowe is optioned to AAA.

I think. As of Monday, 18 June I think this is what will happen although there are bound to be half a dozen other things happen which change everything above at any point in the time between now and the July deadline.

I just needed to outline something that might be reasonable to my brain so I know when I will stop having to see Feldman and Kirkman in roles they are not effective in performing ... Sheppers isn't ready to perform ... and "Long Ball" Lowe who has been on the bubble for two years finally will no longer haunt me.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure do love to harp on something that isn't worth harping on, Lowe is no where close to the weakest link on this staff

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You sure do love to harp on something that isn't worth harping on, Lowe is no where close to the weakest link on this staff

Okay... so if Lowe is "no where close" ... that would mean there must be at least two weaker links on the staff. Who might they be? ... not counting Sheppers or Kirkman as they are just short term help?

I'll stick to my view that Lowe is the weakest link ... and all I need as evidence is ... Game 6.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay... so if Lowe is "no where close" ... that would mean there must be at least two weaker links on the staff. Who might they be? ... not counting Sheppers or Kirkman as they are just short term help?

I'll stick to my view that Lowe is the weakest link ... and all I need as evidence is ... Game 6.

2 words, last year, and at least Feldman is worse so far, but if you're harping on a guy with a 2.84 era, I'd find something better to do with my time

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 words, last year, and at least Feldman is worse so far, but if you're harping on a guy with a 2.84 era, I'd find something better to do with my time

Lol. Rep.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

So Lowe is "no where close to the weakest link on this staff" ... and all you come up with is Feldman? That's it?

I'll stick with my opinion of Lowe ... although a very nice outing tonight. First time he's pitched in a game that TEX wasn't winning by less than 5 runs.

He's a backup middle reliever who has appeared in 23 games ... 15 of which TEX was losing when he came in to mop up ... in the other 8 TEX was ahead by an average of more than 8 runs (other than tonight) ... and in only going more than 1.0IP in 4 games makes it hard to give better than a 2.84ERA.

Feldman has admittedly had a tough 2012 season but he's an SP and long relief ... which on the pitching value chain is above a middle reliever.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Lowe is "no where close to the weakest link on this staff" ... and all you come up with is Feldman? That's it?

I'll stick with my opinion of Lowe ... although a very nice outing tonight. First time he's pitched in a game that TEX wasn't winning by less than 5 runs.

He's a backup middle reliever who has appeared in 23 games ... 15 of which TEX was losing when he came in to mop up ... in the other 8 TEX was ahead by an average of more than 8 runs (other than tonight) ... and in only going more than 1.0IP in 4 games makes it hard to give better than a 2.84ERA.

Feldman has admittedly had a tough 2012 season but he's an SP and long relief ... which on the pitching value chain is above a middle reliever.

Every bullpen has a mop up guy or two. Lowe is pretty good for a mop up guy. Get over it. Not every reliever can be joe Nathan. You're Lowe hate is annoying.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously? YAWN

Now you're just grasping at straws, he's only pitching well because he's not being put into situations that matter? pathetic

He's getting put into games, he's getting people out, and his ERA is low, accept it

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seriously? YAWN

Now you're just grasping at straws, he's only pitching well because he's not being put into situations that matter? pathetic

He's getting put into games, he's getting people out, and his ERA is low, accept it

Exactly ... "he's only pitching well because (until tonight) he's not being put into situations that matter".

Tonight was the first game this season he was pitching with less than a 5 run lead... and I admit tonight he did a very nice job in a situation that mattered.

Question remains though where Lowe fits on a 12-man staff when Uehara, Ogando, and Feliz return.

SP(5): Lewis, Harrison, Darvish, Holland, Oswalt
RP(7): Nathan, Adams, Feliz, Ogando, Uehara, Ross, Feldman

You might make a case for TEX using Ogando or Feliz in long relief and trading or DFAing Feldman to make room for Lowe ... or perhaps one of those guys who is out doesn't make it back from the DL ... but I don't see any other way for Lowe to hold onto his spot on a 12-man staff.