• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 season thread

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every bullpen has a mop up guy or two. Lowe is pretty good for a mop up guy. Get over it. Not every reliever can be joe Nathan. You're Lowe hate is annoying.

Improved team record YOY. Consecutive WS appearances. Current 4 1/2 game lead in AL West in spite of team DL casualties.

Mr. Pot meet Mr. Kettle...

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Improved team record YOY. Consecutive WS appearances. Current 4 1/2 game lead in AL West in spite of team DL casualties.

Not to nit-pick...but its a 5 game lead. :p
Other than that... point is valid.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to nit-pick...but its a 5 game lead. :p
Other than that... point is valid.

I only get on Wash's ass for making stupid decisions which he does plenty. If we'd had a better manager we'd have win the WS last year rather than made another appearance. The team wins in spite of his managerial gaffes. Unfortunately it showed up in back to back WS.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only get on Wash's ass for making stupid decisions which he does plenty. If we'd had a better manager we'd have win the WS last year rather than made another appearance. The team wins in spite of his managerial gaffes. Unfortunately it showed up in back to back WS.

There were a lot of things that contributed to the series losses. Better pitching got us in 2010.

Michael Youngs play at first, Nellie misplaying a ball in RF (?) and above all else, Feliz grooving a fastball on an 0-2 count played a bigger part in game 6 than anything Wash did or didn't do. The biggest bunch of WS BS was the team with the better record got shafted, not once, but twice, based on the results of a stupid exibition game.

The reality is that most, if not all managers are judged on the bottom line and brother the bottom line is a boomin'.

Fans that give Ryan and Daniels credit for the good times and put all their trust in them while at the same time blaming Wash for everything bad are basically clueless. JMO

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were a lot of things that contributed to the series losses. Better pitching got us in 2010.

Michael Youngs play at first, Nellie misplaying a ball in RF (?) and above all else, Feliz grooving a fastball on an 0-2 count played a bigger part in game 6 than anything Wash did or didn't do. The biggest bunch of WS BS was the team with the better record got shafted, not once, but twice, based on the results of a stupid exibition game.

The reality is that most, if not all managers are judged on the bottom line and brother the bottom line is a boomin'.

Fans that give Ryan and Daniels credit for the good times and put all their trust in them while at the same time blaming Wash for everything bad are basically clueless. JMO

That's your opinion. IMO some of its right, and some of its wrong. Let's just agree to disagree. Now can you please get off my ass?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's your opinion. IMO some of its right, and some of its wrong. Let's just agree to disagree. Now can you please get off my ass?

So you want Al off your case on ranting at Wash ... but you seem to not like my perspectives on Lowe and YT?

I'll make you a deal ... I'll not be critical of either of their play going forward ... and you stand up for all of Wash game decisions.

Al's right about the series losses in 2010 and 2011. They were beat in 2010 by better pitching ... but in 2011 it was a team loss.

My perspectives are based on what in my opinion based on whatever stats apply MAY be options. At the end of the day just because the team went to the playoffs in 2010 and 2011 and was very successful both years does not mean there aren't considerable improvements that can and should be made.

And TEX has or is making those moves. Not every team is doing that and that is what sets TEX above most others. This may be a better team this year than the past two years ... but injuries will challenge this team more than the others had to deal with. NYY and LAA are both much better ... so this is not at all going to be easy.

My original post back at #292 was to outline how the pitching staff is restructured going forward as those on the DL return. I shouldn't have pimped Lowe in my post ... but the bottom line is at some point this staff needs to be better than every other team ... and when it goes down to a 11 or even 10 man staff in the playoffs (assuming they get that far) ... I don't expect to see any but the best 10 or 11 on the roster. Will let TEX decide who those are going to be ... but we all have ideas and reasons for presenting and supporting with evidence why our choices ought to be there or not.

Agree?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want Al off your case on ranting at Wash ... but you seem to not like my perspectives on Lowe and YT?

I'll make you a deal ... I'll not be critical of either of their play going forward ... and you stand up for all of Wash game decisions.

Al's right about the series losses in 2010 and 2011. They were beat in 2010 by better pitching ... but in 2011 it was a team loss.

My perspectives are based on what in my opinion based on whatever stats apply MAY be options. At the end of the day just because the team went to the playoffs in 2010 and 2011 and was very successful both years does not mean there aren't considerable improvements that can and should be made.

And TEX has or is making those moves. Not every team is doing that and that is what sets TEX above most others. This may be a better team this year than the past two years ... but injuries will challenge this team more than the others had to deal with. NYY and LAA are both much better ... so this is not at all going to be easy.

My original post back at #292 was to outline how the pitching staff is restructured going forward as those on the DL return. I shouldn't have pimped Lowe in my post ... but the bottom line is at some point this staff needs to be better than every other team ... and when it goes down to a 11 or even 10 man staff in the playoffs (assuming they get that far) ... I don't expect to see any but the best 10 or 11 on the roster. Will let TEX decide who those are going to be ... but we all have ideas and reasons for presenting and supporting with evidence why our choices ought to be there or not.

Agree?

Dude. I'm on your side more often than not about YT. Get your facts straight. Second, you're the only one here who rides Lowe's ass constantly whether it's deserved or not. Plenty agree with me that a trained monkey could manage the game better than Wash.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't realize I was on your ass. Just for the record we are/ were in agreement on why Wash keeps putting MY at #3 in the line up. However, I didn't say anything about it since you were so overly senstive about my MY remarks earlier in the season. Guess it's OK now, huh?

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude. I'm on your side more often than not about YT. Get your facts straight. Second, you're the only one here who rides Lowe's ass constantly whether it's deserved or not. Plenty agree with me that a trained monkey could manage the game better than Wash.

They seem to do pretty well with a keyboard, too.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't realize I was on your ass. Just for the record we are/ were in agreement on why Wash keeps putting MY at #3 in the line up. However, I didn't say anything about it since you were so overly senstive about my MY remarks earlier in the season. Guess it's OK now, huh?

If MY were swinging the bat like he did last year I would still be in disagreement with you regarding him. However, he's been simply abysmal at the plate and makes his slightly below average defense much less tolerable.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we're talking about batting order, I believe Andrus' walk numbers have improved to the point where should be talking about him in the leadoff spot, along with his speed and bunting ability, its just a matter of time

I've long been in belief that Kinsler is our best leadoff candidate, but I believe Andrus should be at least start being considered now

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we're talking about batting order, I believe Andrus' walk numbers have improved to the point where should be talking about him in the leadoff spot, along with his speed and bunting ability, its just a matter of time

I've long been in belief that Kinsler is our best leadoff candidate, but I believe Andrus should be at least start being considered now

The thing I like about Kinsler in the lead off spot is his tendency to have long AB's. There's not many things in a game I like watching better than seeing Ian have a lead off 10-12 pitch AB and then walk or stroke one into the gap for a double. Which brings me to the second reason I like Ian in the lead off spot. Love the ability he brings to put us up by a run 1 batter into the game. That said, you could make an argument that having someone on base in front of Ian might actually be the better way to go except that it changes his entire approach at the plate and you may not see those homers as often when he's worried about moving Elvis over.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I like about Kinsler in the lead off spot is his tendency to have long AB's. There's not many things in a game I like watching better than seeing Ian have a lead off 10-12 pitch AB and then walk or stroke one into the gap for a double. Which brings me to the second reason I like Ian in the lead off spot. Love the ability he brings to put us up by a run 1 batter into the game. That said, you could make an argument that having someone on base in front of Ian might actually be the better way to go except that it changes his entire approach at the plate and you may not see those homers as often when he's worried about moving Elvis over.

Not talking about anything dramatic, mostly maybe swapping Andrus and Kinsler

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If MY were swinging the bat like he did last year I would still be in disagreement with you regarding him. However, he's been simply abysmal at the plate and makes his slightly below average defense much less tolerable.

For a guy who started out as hot as he did his bat died all of a sudden. And I agree his offensive performance last year for long stretches certainly did made it easier living with his defensive limitations.

(Am I the only one who was cringing with every one of Nathan's throws over to 1b last night?)

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My concerns about Young were never about his bat..mostly his glove work which seemed to be confused by our resident MY apologist, Scotsman. His bat just seems to have gradually lost it's pop over the last couple of years and having him hit 3rd or 4th in the line up seems like a waste of time. If age is catching up with him then we might have a serious problem here as Wash seems to be overly protective of his veterans and in particular, MY.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With all due respect to MY who has had a superior ML career ... things would have played out far differently had TEX been an NL West team versus AL West. The thing is ... he is the 800 pound gorilla and is going to be the first in line to fill whatever hole needs to be filled ... even if he may not be the best long term option. It is what it is ...

He has had a great career ... a team player ... the clear although unnamed TEX captain on the field and the clubhouse ... which role he has has excelled in without question. Ever since his move from the #2 spot he has been the plug in to fill key batting order spots ... #3 or #4 at times ... simply because while others may be viewed as a better option for short term fills for Beltre last year or Hamilton this year ... putting Young there was not going to detract from his output over where he was hitting ... while a Cruz or Napoli or even restructuring to move Kinsler into that role would have changed how they approached their ABs ... and perhaps their performance where they were hitting might not translate to a middle of the lineup role.

Conversely ... moving Young to #3 or #4 wouldn't change a thing in how he approached his AB. In my opinion no matter where he bats he goes after it like he was still batting #2. Last year MY's offensive output was key to carrying the team to the playoffs ... but the wear and tear and burden may have been what burned him out going into the playoffs ... and he got off to a hot start this season before the pitchers got in their groove. Not so much now.

I think he needs a rest. He's only missed 3 of TEX 68 games. Last year at this point in the season he had only missed 2 games. TEX needs MY for the run down the stretch ... they need a fresh MY in September and October ... they need his high OBP ABs. Carrying the load in May and June the way he is ... does not help at the end of the day and as long as he is viewed by the balance of the roster as Hercules (along with Hamilton) ... then that lets Beltre, Cruz, and Napoli off the hook.

It is time for these other guys to take on the hard job rather than making Hamilton and Young do the lions share of the effort. Beltre is already being paid to play better ... and Cruz and Napoli would like the big money too ... but they both need to be putting up better numbers or else why is anyone in Napoli's case going to throw a big contract to a #8 hitting .238BA average catcher?

MY is what he is ... and all our thoughts about his defensive limitations or his weakened bat do not change a thing ... until someone steps up and takes over the load he is attempting to carry. IMO.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI - Oswalt starts Friday, Grimm starts Monday...and Feldman is headed back to the bullpen.

Per Newberg.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a beauty of a lineup...

Kinsler 2B
Young 1B :ballchain: (and in the 2-hole... ugh)
Hamilton CF
Beltre 3B
Cruz RF
Murphy LF
Torrealba C
Gonzalez SS
Darvish P