• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thank God. If you agreed with me then I might have to rethink that.

again, i disagree.

except for your extreme posting on Alex Smith, we agree more than disagree.

[that post being referenced was by someone else]

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looking at smith's numbers without the '2 sprain games' are eye popping numbers. the yards/game is still low, but he's doing his job.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, i disagree.

except for your extreme posting on Alex Smith, we agree more than disagree.

[that post being referenced was by someone else]

Yes, SO extreme. Pointing out that Alex had a good game, but more than half of his yards were YACs is beyond lunacy. How can I bring myself to bring that up?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, SO extreme. Pointing out that Alex had a good game, but more than half of his yards were YACs is beyond lunacy. How can I bring myself to bring that up?

ppl bash smith for not giving wr's a chance at yac. when he executes this facet of the game, another negative is pointed out.

the offense had flow to it and smith didn't have to do much. thats basically how the offense should be functioning.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ppl bash smith for not giving wr's a chance at yac. when he executes this facet of the game, another negative is pointed out.

the offense had flow to it and smith didn't have to do much. thats basically how the offense should be functioning.

No, people bash Smith because he has mediocre physical tools, isn't efficient at making post-snap reads, and isn't a very good improvisor. Everything has to be absolutely perfect for him to succeed, as evidenced by the Buffalo and Arizona games, but the minute something goes wrong, he'll revert into his shell like the Seattle and New York games.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, people bash Smith because he has mediocre physical tools, isn't efficient at making post-snap reads, and isn't a very good improvisor. Everything has to be absolutely perfect for him to succeed, as evidenced by the Buffalo and Arizona games, but the minute something goes wrong, he'll revert into his shell like the Seattle and New York games.

there's the other problem. ppl overlook that his finger was sprained and use smith playing injured to say 'omg look he sucks'

smith has played well at times when we've needed some big plays. even though there's a lot of short passes and missed opps, smith is still averaging almost 8 ypa. there is definately room for improvement and the pieces around smith are excellent. now smith has to take that next step.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

those two games were completely out in left field, both stats wise and watching the games live.

compare the first half of this year (minus the 'sprain games') to the first half of last year. smith is better in his completion %, which is due to better wr's and the emergence of crabtree. along with a huge improvement in the offensive line.

i think smith has slightly improved over last year and has better command over the offense.

do u want smith to fail so u can say 'haha i told u so?' because that's exactly what it sounds like.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Everything has to be absolutely perfect for him to succeed,

There you go again with blanket statements supported by a thread or 2.

If that was true he would of been like the Arizona Abortions of today in 2009 and 2010.

But no. It was fairly respectable QB play.

do u want smith to fail so u can say 'haha i told u so?' because that's exactly what it sounds like.
His told you so is already wrong, or unproven at best. It is just therapeutic to keep crapping on Smith and being on a sports message board it is easy to get cheered on playing the hard truth tough guy.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's the other problem. ppl overlook that his finger was sprained and use smith playing injured to say 'omg look he sucks'

smith has played well at times when we've needed some big plays. even though there's a lot of short passes and missed opps, smith is still averaging almost 8 ypa. there is definately room for improvement and the pieces around smith are excellent. now smith has to take that next step.

Was his finger sprained in the NFCC? How about against Minnesota? Or Baltimore on Thanksgiving last year?

"He's injured" is a free pass. When he delivers a SB win, I'll be okay with that free pass.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was his finger sprained in the NFCC? How about against Minnesota? Or Baltimore on Thanksgiving last year?

"He's injured" is a free pass. When he delivers a SB win, I'll be okay with that free pass.

all players have bad games and smith has had his fair share of them. the giants and seahawks game were more than bad games, smith never looked that bad throwing the ball since he played with his injured shoulder.

the nfcc was about not getting a wr to replace all the injured ones. looking at how crabtree is playing this year it looks like he wasn't healthy either. this year he's looked like the crabtree from texas tech.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

NFCC? Wasn't a bad game.
Minnesota was meh with just as much of the problem the defense and penalties
Baltimore D-line abused our front which didn't help.
Long Ginn TD was called back because of a chop block.
Baltimore was given 50yards on a bull pass interference call.
INT to Braylon was a bad chuck with just as bad an effort by him to do something.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bad games do happen. Like NY and AZ.

Tom Brady last 13 playoff games.
27 TD 17 INT

OK.

But if it was Alex Smith you'd point out really only 3 good games. JAX, JAX, and DEN.

Jags is 2004 (last nine wins: Rams, Texans, Ravens, Titans, Cards, Browns, Niners, Texans, Titans. Combined record: 38-106.)

Jags again (6 best D games were shutting down teams led by none other than... 44yo Vinny Testevarde, Joey Harrington, Damon Huard, JaMarcus Russell and Vince Young x2 to less than 2 TDs) Bra-F'ing-Vo

Denver last year.

His real ratio is 15 TD and 16 INT

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex isn't the greatest QB in the league but he has shown enough last season and this season to at least get a shot at leading this team to the Super Bowl.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex isn't the greatest QB in the league but he has shown enough last season and this season to at least get a shot at leading this team to the Super Bowl.

Exactly.

I have watching more Peyton Manning than anyone here.

Alex Smith isn't that, a great, MVP level QB. His ceiling is around an efficient 100 QB rating. Considering Rodgers 122 last year that 100 is very very good but not what she used to be.

If that happens and isn't good enough it is disappointing but that is fandom.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are 4 elite qb's. everyone else is like one and done when it comes to a 100 rating every year.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those two games were completely out in left field, both stats wise and watching the games live.

compare the first half of this year (minus the 'sprain games') to the first half of last year. smith is better in his completion %, which is due to better wr's and the emergence of crabtree. along with a huge improvement in the offensive line.

i think smith has slightly improved over last year and has better command over the offense.

Why would I want Smith to fail? And what do you mean I told you so? I never followed college football in 2004/05 and didn't really have a strong opinion about either Alex or Aaron. The only real reason I wanted Aaron was that he was a local guy, but I never held that against Alex. I even defended Alex for 3 or 4 years on the old ESPN boards. Unlike you, though, I've came to realize that - and this might be unfathomable to you - he's just not that good.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Your realization is built mostly of feeling. And you are having to use more and more of it to rationalize it in the face of results and numbers happening in the present. They are mixed and better with context like anyone's and everything but if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Passer Rating From 2007-now

Alex Smith 84.0
Jay Cutty 83.8