• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep.

one day he will throw for 350 yards, with completions longer than 30 yards, but he'll still be cited for his negative play. negative fans...no make that negative people...will always think of the negatives first.

350? no 299 is the max

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
but if you take the thread's title and the 1st paragraph of your first post, it is easy to see why you got the reaction you got.

if you intended to credit others, you would've said so directly. but you start off with Smith's rating, and how he wasn't THAT good.

When I posted the thread admitidly I was irritated that the headlines overlooked so much from the game and gave Smith the credit. And my thinking was and still is, that he recieved far to much credit. It wasn't a bash against him, but for some reason it always ends up in that Cardinal and Gold civil war. Even when everyone agree's he had a good game, people tend to assume their position and jump to one side or the other. That wasn't the plan when I started the thread, but it is how this board (and probably every other Niner board) works...

Its probably why you and others interpretid the first post the way you did. The headline is my bad ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is amusing how much people hate success. How some people completely overlook the fact that our offense isn't built around down field throws, we run a horizontal offense which used to be known as the WCO. The downfield throws come every once in a while but we concentrate on high percentage throws from 5 to 15 yards and we play great defense in special teams. Our entire philosophy goes against your expectations. I'm happy with what we've done since Harbaugh has come and I have absolutely no compaints. Sure there are plays that piss me off but every team has that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It is amusing how much people hate success. How some people completely overlook the fact that our offense isn't built around down field throws, we run a horizontal offense which used to be known as the WCO. The downfield throws come every once in a while but we concentrate on high percentage throws from 5 to 15 yards and we play great defense in special teams. Our entire philosophy goes against your expectations. I'm happy with what we've done since Harbaugh has come and I have absolutely no compaints. Sure there are plays that piss me off but every team has that.

Hmm....really like the first sentence.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure who "hates success", but I personally love our offense as a whole. Its about ball control, minimizing mistakes and wearing down opposing defenses. I veiw Alex as an adequate QB who CAN GET THE JOB DONE. However he needs to get his confidence up a little and take some of those shots down the field to keep defenses honest. Since the NY game he has been rattled and a little gun-shy. But all and all he has done a good job since Harbaugh has arrived...

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure who "hates success", but I personally love our offense as a whole. Its about ball control, minimizing mistakes and wearing down opposing defenses. I veiw Alex as an adequate QB who CAN GET THE JOB DONE. However he needs to get his confidence up a little and take some of those shots down the field to keep defenses honest. Since the NY game he has been rattled and a little gun-shy. But all and all he has done a good job since Harbaugh has arrived...

I'm not referring to you in particular, but there are a lot of people both on this board and on the ESPN board who just refuse to allow themselves to be happy with the success of this team.

He did look like the NY game rattled him a bit but last night was a HUGE step in getting that swagger back that he had before.

The downfield thing all boils down to the philosphy of this team. We are only going to be successful if we keep the mistakes to the minimum and if that means high percentage passes, I'm all for it. We play great defense and good special teams, we grind teams into the ground throughout the game. They were even talking about it on NFL Live; first you are down 6-0 and you think that you are still in the game, next thing you know it is 13-3 but you still think you are in it, then it is 20-6 and 27-9, by that time the other team is in over thier heads, their players are tired and ours seem to be heating up. We grind teams down physically and mentally. Mythotically. We aren't the Saints or the Falcons.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he never completed a short pass that turned into a long TD before he won a MVP award? I am saying that it is stupid to fault or use against a QB for hitting a receiver who turns a short pass into a long gain. No matter who it is.

The difference is Joe Montana and Steve Young complimented their dink and dunk passing with some really magnificent deep passes... where, Alex is not a good deep ball passer. Granted, it'd be easy to argue that he hasn't had very good WRs, but even now when guys get behind the defense he tends to overthrow them horribly.

I think that is where Smith's criticism for dink and dunk comes from, because that is all he is really good at... and the sexy QB stat is the 50+ yard pass and even better when it goes for a TD.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not referring to you in particular, but there are a lot of people both on this board and on the ESPN board who just refuse to allow themselves to be happy with the success of this team.

He did look like the NY game rattled him a bit but last night was a HUGE step in getting that swagger back that he had before.

The downfield thing all boils down to the philosphy of this team. We are only going to be successful if we keep the mistakes to the minimum and if that means high percentage passes, I'm all for it. We play great defense and good special teams, we grind teams into the ground throughout the game. They were even talking about it on NFL Live; first you are down 6-0 and you think that you are still in the game, next thing you know it is 13-3 but you still think you are in it, then it is 20-6 and 27-9, by that time the other team is in over thier heads, their players are tired and ours seem to be heating up. We grind teams down physically and mentally. Mythotically. We aren't the Saints or the Falcons.

This is what I agree with. This offense is what Mike Singletary wishes he could have installed and executed. The thing that got me going, and pushed me start the thread was the headlines. All of which pointed at Smith as catalyst to the win. He played a good game, but there were so many other factors that contributed to the win. I honestly thought Crabtree played his best game ever and thought he was the guy that "shined" the most in front of the whole world on MNF. Smith's dink and dunk 18-19 was great but I thought it was Crabs who elevated his game the most (even though his stats weren't incredible). He made Peterson look silly at times, and helped Smith look so good...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I agree with. This offense is what Mike Singletary wishes he could have installed and executed. The thing that got me going, and pushed me start the thread was the headlines. All of which pointed at Smith as catalyst to the win. He played a good game, but there were so many other factors that contributed to the win. I honestly thought Crabtree played his best game ever and thought he was the guy that "shined" the most in front of the whole world on MNF. Smith's dink and dunk 18-19 was great but I thought it was Crabs who elevated his game the most (even though his stats weren't incredible). He made Peterson look silly at times, and helped Smith look so good...

One way I look at it, the less people pick on my players, whether that be Smith, Kaepernick, Gore (age), Moss, Crabtree, etc., the better. The more praise for our guys, the less criticism we get from the know-nothings. They get the impression from the headlines that we're doing well, regardless of true credit. I don't worry about those who've watched the game - they know the contributors. Just get good press on those who are doubted and criticized, as those who are recognized like Willis and the defense already get theirs. I agree that I would have liked Crabtree and Moss to get headlines to combat the "lost a step" impression on Moss and "number 3" receiver Crabtree, but after the last two weeks, Smith's reputation needed this (I don't think Smith the person cares). From there, he'll need to keep playing well to earn anything. Ultimately this stuff doesn't mean anything until we win.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This line of thinking annoys me too. They would rather prove that they are/were correct about a certain prospect or player rather than cheer for the player when he is successful.

I used to dislike Steve Young, but as soon as he started playing well for the Niners- I became a fan. I was never a fan of Randy Moss, but now I am.

Smith frustrates me, but as long the 49ers are winning games- I'm happy.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Love to see the Alex Smith haters come out and expose themselves for the twits they (too often) are. Ya know what guys, when the player you love to hate comes out and has a great game better to not post than to post and show yourself to be a blind hate-filled fool. Just wait until his next poor game to bash him, not when he sets a new NFL record (almost) for quarterback play.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith was awarded NFC Offensive Player of the week for the first time in his career.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love to see the Alex Smith haters come out and expose themselves for the twits they (too often) are. Ya know what guys, when the player you love to hate comes out and has a great game better to not post than to post and show yourself to be a blind hate-filled fool. Just wait until his next poor game to bash him, not when he sets a new NFL record (almost) for quarterback play.

To me, if Smith is that bad, he will have that bad of a game where you can criticize him. Just wait, until then criticize in general, not a good game. If he isn't that bad when you think a bad game is coming, and you never get your chance to spew, then maybe he's better now. My feeling is he'll have his bad games - at least now he has his good games, not just ok games. There's more to YAC than just the receiver and the defense. There are audibles, placement of the ball, and seeing the reads. There's some luck, too, but that's for all QBs. All QBs do some good things, give credit when they do - those who do it more often will get praised more often, so there is justice a bit in that method. But tearing down one's performance and not others doesn't fairly represent the QBs. And there's no sense in getting upset that people are praising your team's QB.

Lobby for Crabtree, not removal of credit to Smith. Add to the credit in your proportion, not take away. If he gets 9 out of 10 and you think he should get 3/10, than give 20 to others, he'll have 9/30ths. Obviously you can't change the media, but coming on here to complain isn't going to change it either, just give your credit which may shape others perception of the game here.

There's plenty to still criticize Smith for, no reason for criticism based upon a rating system he didn't create and doesn't necessarily care for (and coaches don't value that much), a media he doesn't control, and YAC he contributed to - something that he was criticized for not giving the receivers a chance to get. This might be news to some, but you can even out the praise a bit without even mentioning Smith. "Wow, Crabtree is really coming into his own." "Another fantastic game for the defense, 7 yards, 3 points?" "Harbaugh drew up a great gameplan using both running and passing."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is "157.1" your version of "scoreboard"? (Where someone will complain about a missed call and your response is "scoreboard.") Doesn't matter whether Smith deserves the credit or if rating matters, regardless, 157.1.

I do think, the more you call out people and the more you lobby for Smith, the more people will dig in, be aggressive, and jump on bad games. Vocal is combatted with vocal. Perfectly within everyone's right, just saying be happy, too. This fight to get Smith credit is sometimes counterproductive (calling people haters, for example.) I'm a Niner since childhood and Alex Smith supporter since he was in Utah.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is "157.1" your version of "scoreboard"? (Where someone will complain about a missed call and your response is "scoreboard.") Doesn't matter whether Smith deserves the credit or if rating matters, regardless, 157.1.

I do think, the more you call out people and the more you lobby for Smith, the more people will dig in, be aggressive, and jump on bad games. Vocal is combatted with vocal. Perfectly within everyone's right, just saying be happy, too. This fight to get Smith credit is sometimes counterproductive (calling people haters, for example.) I'm a Niner since childhood and Alex Smith supporter since he was in Utah.

It is simply foolish to post negative stuff when a guy has a great game. It is called being a sore looser. Its like when the b-ball team you are on gets wasted 83-32 and you complain about the refs, yours sore toe, that lucky shot one of the other guys made, etc etc. You don't do that. You congratulate and move on.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I read someone else say, they basically invented the term "YAC" for the Niners' offense under Walsh. Their signature play was an 8-yard slant taken to the house by brilliant WRs.

Now this offense does it and it means the QB is lucky or something.

Clyde, the whole point is that you point at the negative, every time. You can't quit even after a good game.

I know I'm late in this discussion, someone may have touched on this already, but one big difference in Montana and Young's receivers getting good YAC, is they threw their Wrs open and hit them in stride allowing them to get that YAC. The YAC that Moss and Crabs got was on them making DBs look bad more than Smith setting them up for it.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Here's my take.
2) He had a lucky game. There were a BUNCH of missed tackles, and a Cardinals' defender took out another potential tackler on Moss's big gain. His tipped pass landed directly in Walker's hands, and Peterson fell down on one of Crabby's scores.

I can understand that sentiment because two scores and a chunk of yards came from Moss and Crabtree came from missed tackles and those guys making a play on the ball which in turn pads Smith's stats

In Smith's defense on that though
A) That's what these guys are supposed to do as playmakers
B) Every QB has those "lucky" plays where guys miss tackles or a guy makes a play and turns something small into something big.
C) We've roasted Smith over the years for being too inaccurate with his passes and not giving guys a chance for YAC so finally when he is accurate and gives guys a chance for YAC we call him lucky.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C) We've roasted Smith over the years for being too inaccurate with his passes and not giving guys a chance for YAC so finally when he is accurate and gives guys a chance for YAC we call him lucky.

Moss's play had nothing to do with Smith giving him a chance for YAC, that was all Moss. There was also that big gain to crabs that was only possible because crabs broke the first tackle, again that wasn't Smith's ball placement that made it possible.