• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 10/3 Rockies @ Giants: Tim Hudson Ceremony

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wind, shwind, Pagan has to catch that. He's been terrible defensively for most of the season. With all the talk of Kelby trying out the outfield this winter, I hope Pagan is working in LF.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wind, shwind, Pagan has to catch that. He's been terrible defensively for most of the season. With all the talk of Kelby trying out the outfield this winter, I hope Pagan is working in LF.
Outside of a good bookend months to the season, his offense hasn't been that great either. Now that could only be due to injury (thus why he hit decently in September) but I wonder if its time to think about making him the 4th outfielder.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know how many times I've seen Crawford strike out swinging on those pitches down and away. If he learns to hold off on those pitches, he'll probably be even better in 2016.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of a good bookend months to the season, his offense hasn't been that great either. Now that could only be due to injury (thus why he hit decently in September) but I wonder if its time to think about making him the 4th outfielder.

Baggs thinks they're going to trade him. In one of the many offseason threads, I mentioned that the Giants should look to trade Peavy and Pagan and take on a bad contract in return. Now I think the Giants should keep Peavy, but still trade Pagan.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baggs thinks they're going to trade him. In one of the many offseason threads, I mentioned that the Giants should look to trade Peavy and Pagan and take on a bad contract in return. Now I think the Giants should keep Peavy, but still trade Pagan.
I fully expect this off season to be quite shocking in the number of trades we make. Not quite to the Padres level, but I expect multiple biggish trades. More than what we saw after 2011, I expect.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I misinterpreted the rules last night. Casilla pitched the 9th inning, but the Giants batted in the bottom of the 9th. I didn't think that meant Casilla "finished" the game, but apparently it did.

So, Casilla is coming in. There is a lot on the line here, not only a Giants win but $6.5 million for Casilla. No pressure.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding of KCYa's contract is that the option becomes 6.5 (from 5.5) if he gets the finishes. I don't think it becomes a guaranteed contract.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect this off season to be quite shocking in the number of trades we make. Not quite to the Padres level, but I expect multiple biggish trades. More than what we saw after 2011, I expect.

It's going to be interesting, for sure. The Giants have more than 40 guys they would like to keep, more than 25 guy on the roster than they can hold, but some clear needs. Not sure how much injuries have hurt the value of guys like Panik/Belt/Susac but I think one of them could be gone. Totally fine if it's Susac, Brown looks like a great backup and Posey can wait a few more years to see if Garcia is the deal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caliber going tomorrow. He has had some time off to work on his new arm. Hopefully he has figured something out.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding of KCYa's contract is that the option becomes 6.5 (from 5.5) if he gets the finishes. I don't think it becomes a guaranteed contract.

His contract is fuzzy, wasn't it just recently we found out what the clause was? We knew he had one, but didn't know how he could reach it. IDK, you could be right. I'm still unsure. I just know $6.5M is in play.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta think Susac is gone. I think he still has value and Brown has looked great.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21 homers and 84 RBI from Crawford, when really since mid-August his season was lost due to injury. Incredible.

Incredible indeed. For a good long while, I thought he would never be more than a good defensive player. Now, he's a legit threat at the plate.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta think Susac is gone. I think he still has value and Brown has looked great.

I love Brown's passion. When he hit that double on Greinke to drive in two runs, he let out a cheer at second base that reminded me of Will Clark.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These ceremonies are great recruitment fodder.

What other orgs are as good as the Giants with there alumni connection and these ceremonies? Yankees? Cardinals? I can't think of any other org.

I'm sure Cards and Yanks do a great job, too. Shit, all they gotta do is bust out their trophy cases. But we do have a great thing going here. Great ballpark. A beloved coach and team. Great alumni. Future HOFer in Posey. Free agents want to come here. I'm being Captain Obvious here, but I realize how blessed we are now to be miles away from the Candlestick days when the only big free agent I can think of who wanted to come here was our own hometown guy (Bonds).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Cards and Yanks do a great job, too. Shit, all they gotta do is bust out their trophy cases. But we do have a great thing going here. Great ballpark. A beloved coach and team. Great alumni. Future HOFer in Posey. Free agents want to come here. I'm being Captain Obvious here, but I realize how blessed we are now to be miles away from the Candlestick days when the only big free agent I can think of who wanted to come here was our own hometown guy (Bonds).
Hey.

We got Kevin Bass.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think thiis is going to be one of the most interesting minor issues next ST. Oxy is clearly a liability in CF now. Blanco is clearly a plus defender there. But, will Oxy go into the tank if moved to a bench role? If moved to LF? Byrd can play there in a pinch, but is probably a little below average due to age. Aoki is the worst defensive OF on the club. Pence is really valuable playing a quirky RF in AT&T.

If KT can become even a decent route runner, it'll get verrrry interesting. Of course KT doesn't have a strong arm.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know how many times I've seen Crawford strike out swinging on those pitches down and away. If he learns to hold off on those pitches, he'll probably be even better in 2016.
His one weakness is average. If he can solve that issue while maintaining power....oh, man.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had not read about the possibility of trading Oxy. How much value could he really have? Also, he'll be in the final year of his contract...would the thinking be "he won't accept a bench role, we have to trade him?"

Trading vets just isn't what the Giants do.