• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10/28 GDT World SERIOUS Game 6

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose.” ― Lou Holtz

“You're never as good as you think you are when you win; and you're never as bad as you feel when you lose.” ― Joe Paterno

"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need." - Mick Jagger

Last edited by a moderator:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discussion starting Thursday.

Is there any truth to the stories that Posey may play third base next year? I believe Sandoval is gone and it does no one any good to have Susac sitting on the bench.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any truth to the stories that Posey may play third base next year? I believe Sandoval is gone and it does no one any good to have Susac sitting on the bench.

It is something that is being considered by Bochy/Posey. There are those on this board who would like to see this happen sooner rather than later. If we are keeping Belt at 1B (and I think we should - having a LH 1B is a good thing as it makes his infield throws easier, and also it's better to catch throws from 2B esp with extreme shifts), and we are not keeping Panda (seems increasingly likely), then IMO, moving Posey to 3B makes the most sense to me. Susac seems ready to play more, and Buster hits better when he's not catching.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is something that is being considered by Bochy/Posey. There are those on this board who would like to see this happen sooner rather than later. If we are keeping Belt at 1B (and I think we should - having a LH 1B is a good thing as it makes his infield throws easier, and also it's better to catch throws from 2B esp with extreme shifts), and we are not keeping Panda (seems increasingly likely), then IMO, moving Posey to 3B makes the most sense to me. Susac seems ready to play more, and Buster hits better when he's not catching.

Worst.

AB.

Ever.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Buster as C

.301/.367/.478

Buster as 1B

.354/.411/.555

Buster as 3B

.000/.000/.000

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster as C

.301/.367/.478

Buster as 1B

.354/.411/.555

Buster as 3B

.000/.000/.000

Well, then. Looks like maybe Buster shouldn't play 3B after all.

:lol:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it's not as if he can pitch 9 innings again. Bum will be there to help, but someone else will have to step up and put the team on his back tomorrow.

Then the effect of Bumgarner pitching in this one is lost. You want to give the team a jolt and a motivational jump start, then send Bumgarner out there to start the game. The impact is lost if Hudson has already shit the bed by the time Bumgarner comes in.

I know it won't happen, but I think maximum effect comes from Bumgarner starting in this game. What a story we'd have to tell all off season if he shut the Royals down for 5 innings and turned it over to the pen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then the effect of Bumgarner pitching in this one is lost. You want to give the team a jolt and a motivational jump start, then send Bumgarner out there to start the game. The impact is lost if Hudson has already shit the bed by the time Bumgarner comes in.

I know it won't happen, but I think maximum effect comes from Bumgarner starting in this game. What a story we'd have to tell all off season if he shut the Royals down for 5 innings and turned it over to the pen.

I think the "emotional" game is better used with Bum as a reliever, or, more accurately, as a POTENTIAL reliever.

If Bum starts, and gets rocked (he is only on 2 days rest, after all), that CRUSHES the Giants and AMPS the Royals. If Huddy starts and gets rocked, the Giants move on, still with the GOAT to go to if needed.

Also, having Bum looming in the bully could act in a similar manner as their Big 3. Makes them press in early game situations because they don't want to face him.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the "emotional" game is better used with Bum as a reliever, or, more accurately, as a POTENTIAL reliever.

If Bum starts, and gets rocked (he is only on 2 days rest, after all), that CRUSHES the Giants and AMPS the Royals. If Huddy starts and gets rocked, the Giants move on, still with the GOAT to go to if needed.

Also, having Bum looming in the bully could act in a similar manner as their Big 3. Makes them press in early game situations because they don't want to face him.

Calling him GOAT now?

Otherwise I tend to agree, Hudson needs to start. He may surprise us with a few decent innings.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually its just a couple of hours short of three days rest, is it not? Seems to me when the Giants start fast they are successful. I would love to se them jump on the Royals early.

I know Bochy is loathe to embarrass one of his veteran players like Hudson by dumping him from the rotation in the season's biggest game, one of Bochy's biggest weaknesses in my opinion, but this is the season's biggest game and I would hope that Hudson would be on board with whatever gives the team the best chance to win.

Having said that, Bochy has forgotten more about the Giants than I ever knew. I trust that he knows what he is doing.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the World Series?

Is it really that big of a reach?

Qualify it to GOAT World Series pitcher you can make a case, sure. I'd have to go look.

If he pitches 3-4 shutout innings today to help deliver a win he'll be my pick.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually its just a couple of hours short of three days rest, is it not? Seems to me when the Giants start fast they are successful. I would love to se them jump on the Royals early.

I know Bochy is loathe to embarrass one of his veteran players like Hudson by dumping him from the rotation in the season's biggest game, one of Bochy's biggest weaknesses in my opinion, but this is the season's biggest game and I would hope that Hudson would be on board with whatever gives the team the best chance to win.

Having said that, Bochy has forgotten more about the Giants than I ever knew. I trust that he knows what he is doing.

Technically yes 3 calendar days...but when they talk about days of rest they just mean the days not being in a game, not counting the hours before game time. Otherwise 'normal rest' would be technically 5 days (or 4 1/2 sometimes) instead of 4.

And it's not even about embarassing Hudson, as cal said I believe it's more effective to have him looming to come in. Same reason the Royals don't just start Herrera, Davis (a former starter actually) or Holland.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically yes 3 calendar days...but when they talk about days of rest they just mean the days not being in a game, not counting the hours before game time. Otherwise 'normal rest' would be technically 5 days (or 4 1/2 sometimes) instead of 4.

And it's not even about embarassing Hudson, as cal said I believe it's more effective to have him looming to come in. Same reason the Royals don't just start Herrera, Davis (a former starter actually) or Holland.

We disagree, but that's OK. Its just too iffy to count on Bumgarner being effective relieving when he has never done it before; at least to my knowledge. Additionally, if he does come in, the Giants are probably in trouble already and I don't want that.

I would put all my eggs in one basket for this one and lay it on the line with my horse. I believe the 4 days rest between starts is designed for a season long run. I think Bumgarner could easily handle one instance of two days between starts in this case. Again though, this is just for discussion, I have full confidencethat Bochy knows way more about managing this team than I do.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We disagree, but that's OK. Its just too iffy to count on Bumgarner being effective relieving when he has never done it before; at least to my knowledge. Additionally, if he does come in, the Giants are probably in trouble already and I don't want that.

I would put all my eggs in one basket for this one and lay it on the line with my horse. I believe the 4 days rest between starts is designed for a season long run. I think Bumgarner could easily handle one instance of two days between starts in this case. Again though, this is just for discussion, I have full confidencethat Bochy knows way more about managing this team than I do.

Fair points all.

And it's really awesome to have a manager we can say this about. Almost every other team the fanbase is second guessing everything.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand your thinking. It's similar to what I was thinking with Peavy yesterday in that why is it our plan to only bring in the better pitcher (Petit) once we have fallen behind? It's backwards thinking. However, I think this situation is different. First of all, Hudson hasn't struggled against the Royals like Peavy has. Secondly, Bumgarner went 9 innings and threw 117 pitches just 3 days ago. It's unfair to him to make him start. We can't put this game on his shoulders. Bumgarner will be there to help, but someone else will have to step up and be the lead dog in this one.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bumgarner has pitched in relief before. IIRC, he did it against the Phillies in the 2010 LCS. We always hear about a manager considering starting a guy on 3 days rest, but 2 days rest? Probably not since the days of Cy Young.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitz just made a GREAT point on KNBR...

Bum games were not competitive.

Ventura games were not competitive.

The Guthrie/Huddy game was the ONLY competitive game in the series.

In a SSS, the back ends of both teams are equal (KCs is slightly stronger, but that is only over a larger sample size)

This will be EPIC tonight