• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like i said in a previous post, anyone on here who is not ready to get rid of this core is happy to settle for a middling team. Its a pattern of shuffling the bottom 6, changing goalies ,changing coaches and changing GMs but one thing remains constant and its the core.These players you want to keep have lead us to zero playoff series wins and have missed the playoffs 3 out of 6 years in a league where its really hard to miss the playoffs. So again the one constant in all of our losing is the core so stick with them if you will im tired of it.
As far as Vegas they have accomplished more in one season than we have with this squad in the last 6 years. As far as their contract situation they are 6 million under the cap and have no free agents of any substance for at least 2 years and are currently in third place while we are currently in last.
As I said Philly has been bolstering their lineup mainly from the draft which takes time but even still made the playoffs and was one of the best teams from Jan last season. If they were shit all year I could understand your complaint but they've improved the last few seasons. Just because they made the playoffs doesn't mean that they automatically go to the cup. Doesn't happen to every team that way. Vegas was a completely different ball of wax you can't compare apples to oranges as they were set up immediately to win now. I'm not saying that the Flyer's can't make a few moves now to expedite their growth but remember Homers approach he constantly mortgaged the future to win now and in the end we got nothing but old and cap hell. Definition of insanity is to keep repeating your failures. Hopefully they come in and fix some of the weaknesses without destroying the future. I fully believe that this group is close and getting better saw the same plan in Winnipeg and it finally came about last year just takes time...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am more inclined to side with this than to keep the core. Haven't we seen enough at this point to know what we have with this core, AT LEAST 1 has to go.
As I said to Las one guy moved to better the team is one thing but to blow it up seems insane to me. These players aren't horrible if they were they'd be missing the playoffs every year. Bad teams don't have runs like they did last year...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they announcing replacements for these firings?

Nope. The new GM will probably hire his guy there. That’s how it normally goes according to the beats. Pryor was a little different (retained from Homer), because Homer, Hextall, and Pryor had all worked together previously. Given his choice, Hextall may have picked Pryor anyway.

The opinion on twitter I agree with is, if you were going to fire these guys as part of the house cleaning, why wait a day? What changed? Are they going to fire someone after every loss now? That seems like a team without a direction or plan. They’re just panicking.

I can accept letting Hextall go. I was ready for some action too. But I don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water, and that’s what it seems like they might be doing.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am simply not in a position to read everything on this thread...but I do love it when I do...

As for the "what do you do/who can be moved/how come it isn't 1987" thoughts.

Anyone not named Konecny, Provorov, and Hagg can be bought. Hagg or Provorov can be bought, but the price is silly high.

Example: Gudas, a 2020 1st round and Wayne Simmonds to Toronto for ... William Nylander
Not enough really to make that deal, but you get the idea.

How about Simmonds and Gudas straight up to Edmonton for Ryan Nugent Hopkins?

How about Giroux to Ottawa for Duchene & Anderson?

Seriously...this is silly time. Homer is running the shop until further notice. We can expect almost anything to happen. this is the man who made the Carter and Richards trades. (which bye the way brought us Simmonds, Schenn, Cooter and Voracek. )

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok it's time for the SuperFlyer13 GM take on our future

Fist thing I would do is get with Roo, See if he would waive NTC to be sent to Toronto or other potential cup contender Let him know odds of him winning a cup in Philly may take another year or two, If yes and Toronto takes him then turn around and go after Nylander/panarin

Secondly get rid of Simmonds at the deadline, see if we can pick up solid Dman/Pk'er or some good picks.

Get rid of all the dead weight, Gudas, Amac etc.

Bring in an experienced coach and staff who will know how to properly use our blue collar players!

Lastly but most importantly, go get a goalie, if and when Hart makes it to the bigs he'll have a solid vet to work under.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would look at Ottawa and maybe get Anderson in trade. Then continue the development of Hart. Anderson would be a solid bridge till when Hart is ready to join the big club. Now with Homer briefly filling in, maybe he will try his luck with the offer sheet for Nylander?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would look at Ottawa and maybe get Anderson in trade. Then continue the development of Hart. Anderson would be a solid bridge till when Hart is ready to join the big club. Now with Homer briefly filling in, maybe he will try his luck with the offer sheet for Nylander?

I like the Anderson idea too. Ottawa is in a selling position, they would take back future pieces, and Anderson has 2 years remaining. His numbers aren't very good this year, but the Sens are really bad and I've read some stuff that he's actually playing great, just has no support at all.

He could also bring some leadership that might be needed here. Even though I defend G and leadership group a lot, I agree the inconsistency of the team can be laid at least partially at their feet. I would address it by adding more leadership though, rather than send away the 'core'. If you can find more leadership, like Jason Smith all those years ago, you can supplement whatever is missing in this group. You don't have to wear a letter to lead a team.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said Philly has been bolstering their lineup mainly from the draft which takes time but even still made the playoffs and was one of the best teams from Jan last season. If they were shit all year I could understand your complaint but they've improved the last few seasons. Just because they made the playoffs doesn't mean that they automatically go to the cup. Doesn't happen to every team that way. Vegas was a completely different ball of wax you can't compare apples to oranges as they were set up immediately to win now. I'm not saying that the Flyer's can't make a few moves now to expedite their growth but remember Homers approach he constantly mortgaged the future to win now and in the end we got nothing but old and cap hell. Definition of insanity is to keep repeating your failures. Hopefully they come in and fix some of the weaknesses without destroying the future. I fully believe that this group is close and getting better saw the same plan in Winnipeg and it finally came about last year just takes time...

"The definition of insanity is keep repeating your failures"

This is perfect definition for keeping this core together. Thank you for providing me with the exact motto of this current Flyer team..

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. The new GM will probably hire his guy there. That’s how it normally goes according to the beats. Pryor was a little different (retained from Homer), because Homer, Hextall, and Pryor had all worked together previously. Given his choice, Hextall may have picked Pryor anyway.

The opinion on twitter I agree with is, if you were going to fire these guys as part of the house cleaning, why wait a day? What changed? Are they going to fire someone after every loss now? That seems like a team without a direction or plan. They’re just panicking.

I can accept letting Hextall go. I was ready for some action too. But I don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water, and that’s what it seems like they might be doing.

I agree why not just clean house all at once. It definitely does sound like they dont have a plan and sounds like Hexy did something real bad in order for them to terminate his employment immediately.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am simply not in a position to read everything on this thread...but I do love it when I do...

As for the "what do you do/who can be moved/how come it isn't 1987" thoughts.

Anyone not named Konecny, Provorov, and Hagg can be bought. Hagg or Provorov can be bought, but the price is silly high.

Example: Gudas, a 2020 1st round and Wayne Simmonds to Toronto for ... William Nylander
Not enough really to make that deal, but you get the idea.

How about Simmonds and Gudas straight up to Edmonton for Ryan Nugent Hopkins?

How about Giroux to Ottawa for Duchene & Anderson?

Seriously...this is silly time. Homer is running the shop until further notice. We can expect almost anything to happen. this is the man who made the Carter and Richards trades. (which bye the way brought us Simmonds, Schenn, Cooter and Voracek. )
I agree 100%. Time to blow this up!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok it's time for the SuperFlyer13 GM take on our future

Fist thing I would do is get with Roo, See if he would waive NTC to be sent to Toronto or other potential cup contender Let him know odds of him winning a cup in Philly may take another year or two, If yes and Toronto takes him then turn around and go after Nylander/panarin

Secondly get rid of Simmonds at the deadline, see if we can pick up solid Dman/Pk'er or some good picks.

Get rid of all the dead weight, Gudas, Amac etc.

Bring in an experienced coach and staff who will know how to properly use our blue collar players!

Lastly but most importantly, go get a goalie, if and when Hart makes it to the bigs he'll have a solid vet to work under.
I agree 100%. We need to shake this shit up after 6 years of middling the time is now.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets get Nylander and go with our young prospects and wait until next year for Hart. Out with the old and in with the new.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite part of this article is the first sentence....."james van riemsdyk took a maintenance day", the guy just got back after 5 weeks off :gaah:
I just saw this after i wrote my post above. That guy is so overrated and we fell for it twice and now were stuck with him four more years. :gaah:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First two lines of this article is JVR took a "maintenance day". WTF did big puss do to need a maintenance day? Did he glide around the ice to hard :L

Meet the front-runner for Flyers' GM job
I have to admit i never heard of this guy but his resume is credible

My only concern is he doesn't have a very good draft history. And they just fired the guy that HAS had a good draft history in Pryor, so it's not like you could cover it up with the AGM.

Granted, the draft obviously won't be the focal point in the short term, but you have to be able to draft well to maintain contender status. (ya I know, gotta get there first.)

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI ticket sales for the Stadium Series game have been atrocious. But think about it, who wants to sit outside in February in Philadelphia to watch the Flyers get killed by the Penguins? Anyone want to bet that THAT is one of the elements behind recent events?