• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The definition of insanity is keep repeating your failures"

This is perfect definition for keeping this core together. Thank you for providing me with the exact motto of this current Flyer team..
So you would have blown up the caps then as they didn't win shit for years??? Your flawed bro... I agree with tweaking or even moving one of the core but no need to blow up when your young players that we've patiently waited for are starting to arrive...

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only concern is he doesn't have a very good draft history. And they just fired the guy that HAS had a good draft history in Pryor, so it's not like you could cover it up with the AGM.

Granted, the draft obviously won't be the focal point in the short term, but you have to be able to draft well to maintain contender status. (ya I know, gotta get there first.)
You also have to be able to make trades and sign free agents well which Hexy and his staff were horrible at.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm trade one of our 6 goaltenders, where have i heard that before???

Only have 5 now! Pickard was claimed off waivers lol.

Also, never said I would trade one of them, I said I would trade FOR one of those guys. The only goalie the Flyers have that has trade value is Hart. The others would be throw ins.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to be able to make trades and sign free agents well which Hexy and his staff were horrible at.

I agree, have to be able to do that too. I wouldn't say Hextall was horrible, he just didn't do it. So he gets an incomplete.

I don't know, Fletcher doesn't excite me at all. The Flyers are consistently mediocre. You know who else was consistently mediocre? The Wild under Fletcher. They had a couple killer regular seasons, but never did anything in the playoffs.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only have 5 now! Pickard was claimed off waivers lol.

Also, never said I would trade one of them, I said I would trade FOR one of those guys. The only goalie the Flyers have that has trade value is Hart. The others would be throw ins.
Throw in or not Flyers have had too many goalies for a couple of years and if a throw in is the piece needed to get the player we want do it. Ive been saying this for weeks. Goalies have been going down every week and we were sitting on 6 goalies which value had increased every time a goalie went down.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far taking this long to get a GM is not a good look for this organization. As Awaz pointed out its as if they have no plan.

I'm not too worried about it taking time. Firing GM's mid season is pretty uncommon. I bet most GM searches last longer than what the Flyers will end up lasting. But they had to go through the proper channels, request permission to talk to basically everyone on their list because they currently work with another organization in some capacity.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw in or not Flyers have had too many goalies for a couple of years and if a throw in is the piece needed to get the player we want do it. Ive been saying this for weeks. Goalies have been going down every week and we were sitting on 6 goalies which value had increased every time a goalie went down.

I meant throw in as in the Flyers needed to clear space. If they wanted to trade X for Cam Talbot, but needed to move a goaltender because they have too many, it would probably have to be X+Neuvirth+4th round pick for Cam Talbot. Need some incentive for Edmonton to take Neuvirth in the trade.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, have to be able to do that too. I wouldn't say Hextall was horrible, he just didn't do it. So he gets an incomplete.

I don't know, Fletcher doesn't excite me at all. The Flyers are consistently mediocre. You know who else was consistently mediocre? The Wild under Fletcher. They had a couple killer regular seasons, but never did anything in the playoffs.
Whether its Fletcher or not at least Hexy is gone and that makes me happy.

Incomplete? everyone of his free agents is terrible JVR included.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant throw in as in the Flyers needed to clear space. If they wanted to trade X for Cam Talbot, but needed to move a goaltender because they have too many, it would probably have to be X+Neuvirth+4th round pick for Cam Talbot. Need some incentive for Edmonton to take Neuvirth in the trade.
I dont see anything wrong with that trade right there. JVR +Neuvy+ a 4th and the devils 3rd which we own for Talbot and Nuegent Hopkins

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether its Fletcher or not at least Hexy is gone and that makes me happy.

Incomplete? everyone of his free agents is terrible JVR included.

You need to get over JvR man, it's unhealthy how much you hate him. Aside from the people who have hated him for being a #2 pick and not being an Eric Lindros clone, everyone agrees that was a good signing. He's got 4 points in 8 games since signing, calling it a horrible signing at this point is ridiculous. And it didn't prevent them from doing anything else, he could've signed Grabner, Cole, Hutton or any of the other guys you wanted still. It's WAY too early to know if that signing will or won't work out for the Flyers.

And he wasn't trying to win a cup in any of the years of his tenure. He said as much over and over and we've said it in here over and over. He was building a team. None of his signings (until JvR) were meant to be difference makers. None of his trades were meant to 'put them over the top'. They were all done with the future in mind. The future was and is still bright, but it was time for the future and he wasn't ready to take that step.

A guide to Ron Hextall’s time as Philadelphia Flyers General Manager

Hartnell for Umberger and a 4th (Vorobyev) - Meant to clear cap space. It did, and brought a potential 3C in.

Tye McGinn for a 3rd (Sandstrom) - McGinn was a plug, getting a 3rd rounder for him is great.

Timonen for two 2nds (eventually Konecny, and Allison) - Considering Timo was just about done, great trade.

Coburn for Gudas, a 1st, and 3rd (eventually Konecny, Tomek) - Gudas alone might be better than Coburn

Pronger's contract and Grossmann for Gagner and a 4th (eventually Ratcliffe) - cleared two cap anchors and actually got a player in return

Rinaldo for a 3rd (Ustimenko) - Lol, do we even need to talk about this one?

Lecavalier and Schenn for Weal and a 3rd (Twarynski) - Washed up star and a guy that's been waived a few times since for Weal and a 3rd, great trade.

Streit for Filppula a 4th and 7th (Sushko and Kalynuk) - Another cap dump that returns a player and picks that both have looked good

Cousins and Madsen for Warren and a 5th - Basically a wash.

Schenn for Lehtera and two 1sts (Frost and Farabee) - I know you HATE this one, but it fits what he was trying to do. And we'll see what Frost and Farabee turn in to.

3rd for Mrazek - dreadful trade, but he had to have a goalie

Marody for a 3rd - Considering he was a 6th round pick originally and hasn't played an NHL game, he basically traded a 6th round pick for a 3rd round pick. Great.

You may not like his direction, and that's totally understandable because it's not a 'win now' mentality. But his trades were by and large great trades for his purpose. He just never changed his purpose, that was my beef.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see anything wrong with that trade right there. JVR +Neuvy+ a 4th and the devils 3rd which we own for Talbot and Nuegent Hopkins

I do. The Oilers would have no interest in that trade. Why would they do that?

Nugent-Hopkins for JvR, basically a wash. (with your definition of JvR even this part is a landslide for the Flyers)

--> So Neuvy a 3rd and a 4th for Talbot is essentially your trade.

------> Since Neuvy is always hurt, it's basically a 3rd and 4th for Talbot.

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat because it's an absolute landslide for the Flyers.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to get over JvR man, it's unhealthy how much you hate him. Aside from the people who have hated him for being a #2 pick and not being an Eric Lindros clone, everyone agrees that was a good signing. He's got 4 points in 8 games since signing, calling it a horrible signing at this point is ridiculous. And it didn't prevent them from doing anything else, he could've signed Grabner, Cole, Hutton or any of the other guys you wanted still. It's WAY too early to know if that signing will or won't work out for the Flyers.

And he wasn't trying to win a cup in any of the years of his tenure. He said as much over and over and we've said it in here over and over. He was building a team. None of his signings (until JvR) were meant to be difference makers. None of his trades were meant to 'put them over the top'. They were all done with the future in mind. The future was and is still bright, but it was time for the future and he wasn't ready to take that step.

Hartnell for Umberger and a 4th (Vorobyev) - Meant to clear cap space. It did, and brought a potential 3C in.

Tye McGinn for a 3rd (Sandstrom) - McGinn was a plug, getting a 3rd rounder for him is great.

Timonen for two 2nds (eventually Konecny, and Allison) - Considering Timo was just about done, great trade.

Coburn for Gudas, a 1st, and 3rd (eventually Konecny, Tomek) - Gudas alone might be better than Coburn

Pronger's contract and Grossmann for Gagner and a 4th (eventually Ratcliffe) - cleared two cap anchors and actually got a player in return

Lecavalier and Schenn for Weal and a 3rd (Twarynski) - Washed up star and a guy that's been waived a few times since for Weal and a 3rd, great trade.

Streit for Filppula a 4th and 7th (Sushko and Kalynuk) - Another cap dump that returns a player and picks that both have looked good

Schenn for Lehtera and two 1sts (Frost and Farabee) - I know you HATE this one, but it fits what he was trying to do. And we'll see what Frost and Farabee turn in to.

Marody for a 3rd - Considering he was a 6th round pick originally and hasn't played an NHL game, he basically traded a 6th round pick for a 3rd round pick. Great.

You may not like his direction, and that's totally understandable because it's not a 'win now' mentality. But his trades were by and large great trades for his purpose. He just never changed his purpose, that was my beef.
This is great you just listed the resume of a man who was just fired for his inability to make us any better in his tenure.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. The Oilers would have no interest in that trade. Why would they do that?

Nugent-Hopkins for JvR, basically a wash. (with your definition of JvR even this part is a landslide for the Flyers)

--> So Neuvy a 3rd and a 4th for Talbot is essentially your trade.

------> Since Neuvy is always hurt, it's basically a 3rd and 4th for Talbot.

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat because it's an absolute landslide for the Flyers.
A third and a fourth for the Oilers backup Cam Talbot is a landslide for the Flyers? You are joking right?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FYI when you sign a player like Big Puss for 5 years at 7 million per its meant to be a difference maker. God dam every time i see that contract in writing it makes me sick