• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Vegas is an awful example. That's a situation no team or GM has ever been in. They literally got to start over and pick every single person on their roster. With that, they got to prey on GM's being idiots (a la the Panthers giving them Reilly to take Marchessault to make up 2/3 of their 1st line). You want to talk about playing a certain style and giving a team an identity, it doesn't get easier than picking every player on your roster from day 1. Plus the excitement of a new team, plus the motivation of being a team of castaways. The Flyers are no where near that position and Vegas is a totally different situation.

You can point to the Rags if you want, and i'll disagree with you. But citing Vegas is like comparing the taste of apples to the taste of the new Harry Potter movie.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rags will miss the playoffs. I'll avi bet you for a year. And I'll double down and say they're even worse next year, permanent avi bet. They're playing over their heads right now, I promise. That team sucks.

I'm still waiting for a time when a team traded their star player and got better.
You should know me better than to even ask me to bet on the Rags. This would make me have to root for them and i would rather stick a needle in my eye.

However you said Vegas sucks the other day i would be willing to Avi wager on them making the playoffs.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Vegas is an awful example. That's a situation no team or GM has ever been in. They literally got to start over and pick every single person on their roster. With that, they got to prey on GM's being idiots (a la the Panthers giving them Reilly to take Marchessault to make up 2/3 of their 1st line). You want to talk about playing a certain style and giving a team an identity, it doesn't get easier than picking every player on your roster from day 1. Plus the excitement of a new team, plus the motivation of being a team of castaways. The Flyers are no where near that position and Vegas is a totally different situation.

You can point to the Rags if you want, and i'll disagree with you. But citing Vegas is like comparing the taste of apples to the taste of the new Harry Potter movie.
I would rather have the core of Vegas "castoffs" than our core any day. At least i know with those '"castoffs" we would get all around play not like our "superstars" who only play offense and haven't won a playoff series.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have the core of Vegas "castoffs" than our core any day. At least i know with those '"castoffs" we would get all around play not like our "superstars" who only play offense and haven't won a playoff series.

I might prefer that too, but the Flyers aren't in a position to do that. They can't trade the whole team and start over with exactly the character, style of players they want. It's hard enough to get one trade done, let alone 10+ to get exactly what you want. That's my point on Vegas. Their situation and their team just aren't comparable to what the Flyers can/cant do.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Gord Murphy or Pickard at practice today. Rumors swirling that Murphy may have been let go and Pickard may be on waivers (which would likely end in a claim by Toronto).

Murphy coached the defense and was a Hextall (not Hakstol, as is the norm) hire.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Gord Murphy or Pickard at practice today. Rumors swirling that Murphy may have been let go and Pickard may be on waivers (which would likely end in a claim by Toronto).

Murphy coached the defense and was a Hextall (not Hakstol, as is the norm) hire.
We should make a serious offer to Kimmo and get him to coach our defenseman

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Chuck Fletcher is the front runner for GM, not sure about his body of work. Anybody know his goods and bads?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas has already come back to earth and are starting to face normal NHL team challenges see their recent contract signings and it will get worse.

The Flyer's don't need to blow this all up they were a top team down the stretch last year. They have it in them. I do agree that it's not good enough and they can make some moves to improve but sometimes with young players they take a step forward and then two back. It's hard to watch but if they've shown signs it means that they can do it again. Goalie solution would create miracles here making the whole team better. Hextall gambled and failed mainly due to injuries hard to predict this. Either way I'm giving Stolarz more starts to see where he's at as he didn't look bad and was obviously NHL rusty.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas has already come back to earth and are starting to face normal NHL team challenges see their recent contract signings and it will get worse.

The Flyer's don't need to blow this all up they were a top team down the stretch last year. They have it in them. I do agree that it's not good enough and they can make some moves to improve but sometimes with young players they take a step forward and then two back. It's hard to watch but if they've shown signs it means that they can do it again. Goalie solution would create miracles here making the whole team better. Hextall gambled and failed mainly due to injuries hard to predict this. Either way I'm giving Stolarz more starts to see where he's at as he didn't look bad and was obviously NHL rusty.
Like i said in a previous post, anyone on here who is not ready to get rid of this core is happy to settle for a middling team. Its a pattern of shuffling the bottom 6, changing goalies ,changing coaches and changing GMs but one thing remains constant and its the core.These players you want to keep have lead us to zero playoff series wins and have missed the playoffs 3 out of 6 years in a league where its really hard to miss the playoffs. So again the one constant in all of our losing is the core so stick with them if you will im tired of it.
As far as Vegas they have accomplished more in one season than we have with this squad in the last 6 years. As far as their contract situation they are 6 million under the cap and have no free agents of any substance for at least 2 years and are currently in third place while we are currently in last.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dam i just read Steve Yzerman not likely coming to Philly. That would've been nice.
think he retired to balance life with his family, so I always though this was a long shot

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Like i said in a previous post, anyone on here who is not ready to get rid of this core is happy to settle for a middling team. Its a pattern of shuffling the bottom 6, changing goalies ,changing coaches and changing GMs but one thing remains constant and its the core.These players you want to keep have lead us to zero playoff series wins and have missed the playoffs 3 out of 6 years in a league where its really hard to miss the playoffs. So again the one constant in all of our losing is the core so stick with them if you will im tired of it.
As far as Vegas they have accomplished more in one season than we have with this squad in the last 6 years. As far as their contract situation they are 6 million under the cap and have no free agents of any substance for at least 2 years and are currently in third place while we are currently in last.
I am more inclined to side with this than to keep the core. Haven't we seen enough at this point to know what we have with this core, AT LEAST 1 has to go.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assistant GM Chris Pryor let go. He’s been in charge of the draft for a long time.

Murphy also let go.