• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here we are 5 years into Hexy's rule, 4 years into Haks tenure as coach. Can anyone honestly say we've made strides from where we were? And I mean honestly! Maybe it's time for a whole new brigade(including Hexy) and get away from hiring the hometown guys.

Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, and Couturier were the core of the forwards and still are. But Streit, Coburn, Schenn, Grossmann, and old man Timonen were the defense. The major change up front is BSchenn, Hartnell, and Read out; Konecny, Patrick, JvR in. Younger and better in total I would say.

Adam Hall, Zac Rinaldo, Steve Downie, and Jay Rosehill all played more than 34 games that season. I might take Hall for his PK work at this point, but the Flyers have at least 16 forwards between the NHL and AHL better than the rest of those guys. (12 that played last night, Raffl, JvR, Vorobyev, Leier)

They were over the cap without the LTIR allotment. They have 8M in space this season.

Scott Laughton was their only 1st round pick in the system. Noebels, Stolarz, Lauridsen, Cousins and Bourdon were the other 'top prospects'. 5 years later their top prospects have 466 NHL games between them. 400 of those are Cousins and Laughton. Now they have Frost, Rubtsov, O'Brien, and Farabee in the system as 1st rounders, plus Myers and Hart who are two of the higher touted prospects right now.

In 2013-14 they had one player 22 or younger play in ANY games, Couturier. Tye McGinn and Zac Rinaldo are the only other two under 25 to see more than 17 games. This season they have 5 guys 22 or under that figure to play prominent roles. Including 3 top 6 forwards and their #1 dman. When you up it to 25, you can add 3 more guys.

So i'll say, absolutely the organization has made strides. I'll concede they probably aren't as TOUGH, they may end up making the playoffs and losing in the first round again (though I think they win at least one round), and goaltending is still a problem, but the organization is so much healthier than it was then.

Maybe Hextall isn't the one to take the Flyers to the promised land, but he has, without question, done a great job fixing the organization.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick starts em off tomorrow!

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, and Couturier were the core of the forwards and still are. But Streit, Coburn, Schenn, Grossmann, and old man Timonen were the defense. The major change up front is BSchenn, Hartnell, and Read out; Konecny, Patrick, JvR in. Younger and better in total I would say.

Adam Hall, Zac Rinaldo, Steve Downie, and Jay Rosehill all played more than 34 games that season. I might take Hall for his PK work at this point, but the Flyers have at least 16 forwards between the NHL and AHL better than the rest of those guys. (12 that played last night, Raffl, JvR, Vorobyev, Leier)

They were over the cap without the LTIR allotment. They have 8M in space this season.

Scott Laughton was their only 1st round pick in the system. Noebels, Stolarz, Lauridsen, Cousins and Bourdon were the other 'top prospects'. 5 years later their top prospects have 466 NHL games between them. 400 of those are Cousins and Laughton. Now they have Frost, Rubtsov, O'Brien, and Farabee in the system as 1st rounders, plus Myers and Hart who are two of the higher touted prospects right now.

In 2013-14 they had one player 22 or younger play in ANY games, Couturier. Tye McGinn and Zac Rinaldo are the only other two under 25 to see more than 17 games. This season they have 5 guys 22 or under that figure to play prominent roles. Including 3 top 6 forwards and their #1 dman. When you up it to 25, you can add 3 more guys.

So i'll say, absolutely the organization has made strides. I'll concede they probably aren't as TOUGH, they may end up making the playoffs and losing in the first round again (though I think they win at least one round), and goaltending is still a problem, but the organization is so much healthier than it was then.

Maybe Hextall isn't the one to take the Flyers to the promised land, but he has, without question, done a great job fixing the organization.
So then if your analysis is true then were back to the problem being Hakstol?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then if your analysis is true then were back to the problem being Hakstol?

Hakstol
PK
Goaltending

Those 3 things hold them back, in some order. I think, JMO, the first two can be mostly fixed or at least greatly improved with a new coaching staff.

Goaltending is what it is. Wait for Hart or find someone willing to part with an upgrade on Eilliot on a < 3 year deal that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Pretty tight restrictions on what I would do to upgrade in net right now.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hakstol
PK
Goaltending

Those 3 things hold them back, in some order. I think, JMO, the first two can be mostly fixed or at least greatly improved with a new coaching staff.

Goaltending is what it is. Wait for Hart or find someone willing to part with an upgrade on Eilliot on a < 3 year deal that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Pretty tight restrictions on what I would do to upgrade in net right now.
So if and when we fix this, if we ever do, how long does it take to make this team a true contender before another 4-5 years go by? Just seems like a vicious cycle of ineptitude this org can't seem to see or get out of.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The day a young kid in Toronto became the biggest Flyers fan alive

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Lindblom for today's game.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if and when we fix this, if we ever do, how long does it take to make this team a true contender before another 4-5 years go by? Just seems like a vicious cycle of ineptitude this org can't seem to see or get out of.

I think that describes our goalie situation as a franchise more than it does anything else and with Hart on the way, perhaps we can shake that soon.

The point is we have way more young talent now at all levels of the organization than ever before and these guys don't just develop overnight. They are being groomed the right way and that's going to eventually pay off big.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else see that clip of JVR skating this morning?:hockeysmile::hockeysmile::hockeysmile::hockeysmile::hockeysmile::hockeysmile::hockeysmile:

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win again.
Elliot was very solid

The captain and Couts with 3 pts each.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tied for 6th most points in the league too.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shutout and flawless on the PK (+ an essentially SH goal). Just like we talked about, strengths of the team.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elliott was good when he needed to be, but the Hawks have zero confidence offensively right now and it shows.

Really nice to finally dominate a game on home ice for the first time this season.

That should improve our horrific pk and sv% numbers.

11 of the last 12 possible points collected. That's what really matters here.

The next few games on home ice should be more of a challenge for us (FLA, NJ, TB).

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux passes MacLeish for sole possession of 4th all-time in scoring for the Flyers, now one point shy of 700 for his career.

At his recent pace, he could theoretically jump Propp and even Barber as soon as next season.

Catching Clarke will be difficult at 1210 points...Lol

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid win hopefully they can be consistent now for the rest of the year!!!

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The day a young kid in Toronto became the biggest Flyers fan alive
I usually do a piece in his memory. I can't believe it's been 33 years since his passing. To this day I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the news broke. It absolutely crushed me as a younger kid. I look back and ask myself " what could have been. " The Flyers family will never forget you 31. May you RIP.