• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Boise State ever enter an auto CFP conference aka "BCS" conference?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hit the nail on the head. The lack of a big market in particular is a killer.

Yeah, geography is the biggest detriment. They play in a bubble, unfortunately, with no close neighbors playing at their same level. In a way, it makes what they've been able to do rather amazing.

Sucks for them, but not something that would change overnight.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was actually 15 years, but yes, they are likely done.
So Petersen was entirely the secret sauce and there is little chance they can capture that lightning in a bottle again?

Maybe you are right. Most guys like Petersen would have been snatched up by a power team a decade earlier. He wanted to be there and raise his family there. He's a rare breed in coaching these days to be sure in that aspect.

Still, with a track record and a proven blueprint there is no reason they can't attract top coaching. If they can't regain some level of their status it has to be entirely on your AD. Loyalty within the program and timidness about firing great guys who aren't winning won't get the job done.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone with the argument that Boise State doesn't bring a large TV Market and are sort of out there as far as being on an island for recruiting and in the middle of nowhere.

I bring to you the argument of West Virginia in the Big 12.....Much like Boise and their success, it is amazing what WV has been able to do considering what they have. It's West Virginia folks....They are on an island in the Big12, yet the Big 12 picked them up. I think Big12 picked WVU due to their on field success and not because they provide much more of anything else.

Maybe the Big12 looks to Boise due to programs image and profile and knowing bringing Boise to a big time conference can elevate the Boise program therefore helping the Big 12 conference. Much like Pac-12 bringing in mid major Utah.

Every argument you can make about Boise NOT getting a major conference invite, you can counter that with WVU got a major conference invite.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yer mean!
He is still bitter about this:

th

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so although I'd love to see it happen. Boise is something like 12-3 against the PAC in the last decade or so.

I'm sure of given a chance. The PAC would dump Oregon for bsu

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big 12 expands it will be Rice, Houston, SMU, and UTEP.

Maybe you missed this. But Tejas pretty much admitted a Big Xii Houston would be too powerful for Tejas to control.

They are keeping the little 10 where it's at so they can continue to suck and ruin this confernce until 2023

Oh. Now that RA is back. We need @3tdsandout back

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Petersen was entirely the secret sauce and there is little chance they can capture that lightning in a bottle again?

Maybe you are right. Most guys like Petersen would have been snatched up by a power team a decade earlier. He wanted to be there and raise his family there. He's a rare breed in coaching these days to be sure in that aspect.

Still, with a track record and a proven blueprint there is no reason they can't attract top coaching. If they can't regain some level of their status it has to be entirely on your AD. Loyalty within the program and timidness about firing great guys who aren't winning won't get the job done.

The big problem is being able to pay and keep OCs and DCs. Petersens last three years he had 3 OCs and Harsins first three years we have had 3 new OCs. If we had the money from a P5 we might be able to keep some of our coaching staff

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone with the argument that Boise State doesn't bring a large TV Market and are sort of out there as far as being on an island for recruiting and in the middle of nowhere.

I bring to you the argument of West Virginia in the Big 12.....Much like Boise and their success, it is amazing what WV has been able to do considering what they have. It's West Virginia folks....They are on an island in the Big12, yet the Big 12 picked them up. I think Big12 picked WVU due to their on field success and not because they provide much more of anything else.

Maybe the Big12 looks to Boise due to programs image and profile and knowing bringing Boise to a big time conference can elevate the Boise program therefore helping the Big 12 conference. Much like Pac-12 bringing in mid major Utah.

Every argument you can make about Boise NOT getting a major conference invite, you can counter that with WVU got a major conference invite.

Thank you for reminding everyone how the big 12 fucked up when they took West Virginia instead of Louisville. Hopefully they don't repeat that mistake.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So if some other power conference is on the verge of total collapse after major powers left it and were desperate to grab a team to hold it together, maybe you are right.

I mean P5's have schools that wouldn't get invites today if they weren't already in it, but expansion for most requires a reason for the other schools to sign off on it. There aren't fertile recruiting grounds to visit in Idaho, not much to add for TV revenue, and very few teams with a short enough distance to make travel attractive. Those are facts.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

West Virginia and Boise are apples and oranges geographically.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big problem is being able to pay and keep OCs and DCs. Petersens last three years he had 3 OCs and Harsins first three years we have had 3 new OCs. If we had the money from a P5 we might be able to keep some of our coaching staff
I'm amazed at how fast he can turn a culture around so it's no surprise to our base that he was able to keep things going at such a high level with so much staff turnover. Far less concerned about staff turnover under him than I was under Sark or other HC's we've burned through in recent decades.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Petersen really is one of a kind. I am thankful to have him for as long as we did. So classy, so honorable, so damn loyal. I really hope he gets a title.

I obviously think the program has been built up nicely and I expect us to at least be consistently "good." I just don't see any top 5, top 10 type finishes anymore where it felt like we could run with just about anybody. We had some horses man and not just skill position guys. We had dudes in the trenches that would punch you in the fucking face and control the line of scrimmage. Those days are gone to me. It's too much to ask. The divide between the Power 5 and Group of 5 is great and continues to expand. And we don't have the money to keep up. We can't retain anybody worth a damn. The second we get a good OC or DC and he gets an offer for more at a Power 5, those guys are out the door before you can bat an eyelash. And that's tough to sustain. Hell our head coaches make no more than $1.5MM. How can you compete with the big boys with that little amount of Group of 5 money? You simply can't. It's sucks but it's also reality.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you missed this. But Tejas pretty much admitted a Big Xii Houston would be too powerful for Tejas to control.

They are keeping the little 10 where it's at so they can continue to suck and ruin this confernce until 2023

Oh. Now that RA is back. We need @3tdsandout back

you're Tejas obsession is cute, but Tejas was in favor of adding Houston to the Big 12. Sorry, your "blame Tejas for everything" mindset doesn't work here.

Texas power brokers oddly try to make Houston the favorite for Big 12 expansion

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

West Virginia has such a large fan base that they make more in tier 3 tv money then USC.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already leaked texas voted against. Wouldn't be surprised to see collusion between Herman and Texas.

If Texas was for, they would be building the Houston campus right now

Your tin foil hat is on too tight buddy

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not likely that Boise St. gets an invite to a Power-5 conference. As already mentioned, the Broncos have a relatively small stadium and are in a small media market with no appreciable adjacent recruiting area. Plus, it's been a while since they were in a major bowl game that drew attention to the program.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new coach at Boise hasn't let the ship sink too much has he?

I mean enough to think the Broncos are gone from their magical dominance.