• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Celts next move should be to trade Rondo

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I watched the Celtics the last two years was because of Rondo, dude's a balla.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have more or less done it the right way, but I did not like the Okafor/Ariza deal one bit.

I think they needed to move McGee because he was never going to grow up in DC, but they may regret that one in a couple years.

Do you think the Wizards could possibly attract a good free agent big while Beal and Porter are still on rookie deals? That is the only way I see them getting over the hump to where they are legit.

You have to think a talented big would want to play with a PG like Wall and a guy who can stretch the floor like Beal. Porter is a good all around guy. Booker is a good complementary guy down low and Vesely could still be something.

If you could get Bynum for the right price he could be a steal if healthy. I also think guys like Marcin Gortat, Al Jefferson, Paul Milsap, David West and Carl Landry could all be good gets this offseason for the right price. Gortat would have to come in a trade, but with them getting Len that looks likely.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to think a talented big would want to play with a PG like Wall and a guy who can stretch the floor like Beal. Porter is a good all around guy. Booker is a good complementary guy down low and Vesely could still be something.

If you could get Bynum for the right price he could be a steal if healthy. I also think guys like Marcin Gortat, Al Jefferson, Paul Milsap, David West and Carl Landry could all be good gets this offseason for the right price. Gortat would have to come in a trade, but with them getting Len that looks likely.

The key would be getting one of these guys for the right price. Teams always have to overpay for big men. We will see.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I watched the Celtics the last two years was because of Rondo, dude's a balla.

Going to be a different look this year either way.

Rondo is a baller, but he has a rep for not showing up for relatively insignificant regular season games at times. If all 82 are insignificant in his mind, it could kill his trade value.

Sometimes what the fans want is not what is best for the franchise long term.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be a different look this year either way.

Rondo is a baller, but he has a rep for not showing up for relatively insignificant regular season games at times. If all 82 are insignificant in his mind, it could kill his trade value.

Sometimes what the fans want is not what is best for the franchise long term.

Rondo doesn't show up on a random Wednesday night in Milwaukee, but when he's going 100% he's once of the league's best. He just doesn't go 100% unless it's playoffs or on national TV. Well some nights he does, just not all 82.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key would be getting one of these guys for the right price. Teams always have to overpay for big men. We will see.

I agree. If I'm the Wizards I see about trading a pick or 2 and some pieces to get Cousins from Sactown. Cousins with Wall and Beal would be a dangerous 3 moving forward.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rondo doesn't show up on a random Wednesday night in Milwaukee, but when he's going 100% he's once of the league's best. He just doesn't go 100% unless it's playoffs or on national TV. Well some nights he does, just not all 82.

Is that really the guy you want setting the example for the young players during your rebuild? That is not a winning attitude.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Celts are out of play-off contention, how often will Rondo show up?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors already started that Rondo wants out.

Those rumblings are only going to get louder if they're losing games. I see no point in Boston keeping Rondo......they're better off trading him if they want to shorten their rebuild.

The key is what they get back for him. In the NBA, you want to be either very good, or very BAD. Nothing in between.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame him for wanting out. Maybe he goes to a place like Dallas for a big expiring contract for next year like Vince Carter to the Pacers for Granger whose contract expires next year. The Jazz could throw Burke and an expiring contract like Marvin Williams. All 3 of those places need a PG and the Celtics would be getting to shed some contract after this year. If I'm them I try my best to throw Wallaces contract in with Rondo.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame him for wanting out. Maybe he goes to a place like Dallas for a big expiring contract for next year like Vince Carter to the Pacers for Granger whose contract expires next year. The Jazz could throw Burke and an expiring contract like Marvin Williams. All 3 of those places need a PG and the Celtics would be getting to shed some contract after this year. If I'm them I try my best to throw Wallaces contract in with Rondo.

Dallas just got Shane Larkin, they wouldn't be interested. They're also reportedly looking at Jerryd Bayless and Jarret Jack.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas just got Shane Larkin, they wouldn't be interested. They're also reportedly looking at Jerryd Bayless and Jarret Jack.

Actually, Dallas was one spot I was thinking about earlier. If they gave up Larkin, Marion and a couple picks they might be able to make a better pitch for Dwight. Not sure what they would need to clear to make the $ work though.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Dallas was one spot I was thinking about earlier. If they gave up Larkin, Marion and a couple picks they might be able to make a better pitch for Dwight. Not sure what they would need to clear to make the $ work though.

I doubt Cuban is going to sell the farm for Dwight. Like I said.....he's personable enough, Dwight knows he's going to spend the money to win, and the facilities and city speak for itself.

Basketball wise Houston is a better fit for Dwight......but the Dallas pitch is going to be good. They'll keep Larkin and Ledo.......and clear space in other ways.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that really the guy you want setting the example for the young players during your rebuild? That is not a winning attitude.

Rondo demands a lot from everyone, he's just like the Celtics are, Championship or nothing matters.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rondo demands a lot from everyone, he's just like the Celtics are, Championship or nothing matters.

LOL. Then he better go somewhere else. The Celtics need a total rebuild to get back to championship mode. Hopefully you fans can embrace that.

If Rondo is so demanding of his teammates, then he better stop taking games off. Nobody takes a "leader" seriously if they aren't giving their all.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston should absolutely trade Rondo but not because he isnt great. They should trade him because WITH him they will still be a 35ish win type team which means they wont be getting any great players to go with him via the draft AND the likelihood of Rajon sticking around with Boston and winning 35 games per year for the next 2-3 years is about 0. By trading him you can get some decent pieces and set yourself up to get a guy like Wiggins next year. I guess the question is do you want to win 30-35 games next year or win 20 and get the best incoming guy in the last 10 years in next years draft?? Either way Rondo is likely gone sooner rather than later. Id just rather get something for him and MAYBE get a franchise type guy than keep him and be bad but not awful.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston should absolutely trade Rondo but not because he isnt great. They should trade him because WITH him they will still be a 35ish win type team which means they wont be getting any great players to go with him via the draft AND the likelihood of Rajon sticking around with Boston and winning 35 games per year for the next 2-3 years is about 0. By trading him you can get some decent pieces and set yourself up to get a guy like Wiggins next year. I guess the question is do you want to win 30-35 games next year or win 20 and get the best incoming guy in the last 10 years in next years draft?? Either way Rondo is likely gone sooner rather than later. Id just rather get something for him and MAYBE get a franchise type guy than keep him and be bad but not awful.
:agree:

their current roster of Rondo, Gerald Wallace, Kris Humphries, Jeff Green... It's not terrible. That is 35 wins like you say. Especially in the east. now if you can deal rondo and possibly wallace... now were talking alot of lottery balls. and probably an insane amount of 1st rounders over the next few years, may be able to package some of those firsts and move up if your the lotto balls dont fall exactly your way.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

their current roster of Rondo, Gerald Wallace, Kris Humphries, Jeff Green... It's not terrible. That is 35 wins like you say. Especially in the east. now if you can deal rondo and possibly wallace... now were talking alot of lottery balls. and probably an insane amount of 1st rounders over the next few years, may be able to package some of those firsts and move up if your the lotto balls dont fall exactly your way.

Exactly.

Hopefully whoever takes Rondo can take Wallace too. That may be a condition of the deal. Wallace is a shell of his former self.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely. The Celtics should trade Rondo unless they have a different way of getting rid of Wallace and have some sort of big moves planned this offseason. If their plan is to rebuild through the draft Rondo has to go. With him, Green, Bradley, Sullinger, Humphries and Wallace they might win the 8th seed in the east. They are not a top of the lottery team if that is where they are wanting to be.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some rumors now have emerged regarding the Celtics and Mavericks, in which Boston would ship Rondo to Dallas along with Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee, and the recently acquired Gerald Wallace albatross. In return, Boston would receive the expiring contracts of Shawn Marion and Vince Carter, along with new first-round pick Shane Larkin.