• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's To Blame

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When anything goes wrong in any aspect of life, in this day and age, someone has to be blamed or take the blame. The Boston media has nothing else to talk about so now we'ew entering the "Blame" mansion.

Is Belichick to blame? He's a miserable prick who treats every player exactly the same. Never overpays anyone more than his value system. Doesn't candy coat anything and has never kissed anyone's little cheeks. He made the decision to hold the line and offer Tom Brady a one year $20M contract. Problem is that Neither Brady nor his agent Donald Yee ever contacted the Patriots. That is until Brady had agreed to a 2 year $30M contract with the Tampa Bay Bucs. Brady called Robert Kraft and they played patty cake and made each other feel good.

Brady on the other hand continually kept everyone at a social arm's distance and in the end was left with two choices. Tampa bay or new England. Brady's ego wouldn't let him go back to the Patriots and he has said all of the right things, written his condolences in the Boston papers and has made up with Robert Kraft.It's now the way of the NFL and all except a few have bought it.

In my opinion, for what it's worth to anyone other than myself, I think this whole thing started when the Patriots lost the Suoer Bowl to the Philadelphia Eagles. Brady clearly6 blamed the loss on Belichick because he held his ground and punished Malcolm Butler for his behavior and failure to follow the team rules. The Patriots came back and won the Super Bowl against the Rams, but Brady couldn't take credit because his game was subpar and the defense was the hero.

Then came 2019 and Brady decided that he wasn't going to bend to the unwritten rules of the previous 19 years and skipped the entire offseason and never played in the preseason. Oddly, the blame was passed to the injured offensive line, the retired Rob Gronkowski and finally the horrible group of piss poor wide receivers. Brady's hands were clean in the minds of many.

After twenty years of success and team solidarity, the foundation began to crack. The 2020 playoffs finally broke the bonds and the end came.

There are marriages that are founded on more love and dedication than the relationships at Foxboro. Many of those marriages crack and crumble in less than ten years. Those divorces are often ugly and extremely painful. A Patriot fan could have only hoped that this relationship could have weathered one final storm. It was not to be. The human ego is frail and can be damaged with words as well as actions. That same ego can drive a man beyond all expectations and make him do things that he would never have otherwise done.

There is no blame here. There are two egos that are equally strong and ungiving. Those egos have reached a point where they must show the other ego that they can survive and succeed without the other ego present. Both may become damaged beyond repair. Both may know that it could suceed without the other and did. Neither will ever admit it.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've managed to kick the can down the road for 16 years. Eventually you have to pay up, but much like buying a car, if you can hold onto each car a few extra years you'll save yourself the cost of a car or two over your lifetime. The Pats held on an extra 16 years. 16 years!

There are teams that have not made the playoffs and have had more rebuilds than the Pats. The Pats on the other hand have missed the playoffs just twice in 20 years and each of those they lost the division on a tie breaker.

Who's to blame? Move on, nothing to see here.

As for mourning the loss of Brady, it's like going to a centenarian funeral and mourning the loss without keeping perspective on how much time could have possibly been left and at what quality of life.

Last edited:

bunchofpixels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady was just tired of throwing to a bunch of slow white dudes. He cares about stats. If you aren't going to win the SB you might as well throw for a bunch of yards and TDs. Should be interesting for both the Patriots and Brady

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady was just tired of throwing to a bunch of slow white dudes. He cares about stats. If you aren't going to win the SB you might as well throw for a bunch of yards and TDs. Should be interesting for both the Patriots and Brady
When was the last time you watched the Pats?

Edelman was the only white WR on the roster.

Maybe you were including TEs Izzo and LaCosse or RB Burkhead? When they actually played?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Belichick to blame? He's a miserable prick who treats every player exactly the same. Never overpays anyone more than his value system. Doesn't candy coat anything and has never kissed anyone's little cheeks.
1) He made the decision to hold the line and offer Tom Brady a one year $20M contract.
2) Problem is that Neither Brady nor his agent Donald Yee ever contacted the Patriots. That is until Brady had agreed to a 2 year $30M contract with the Tampa Bay Bucs.
3) Brady called Robert Kraft and they played patty cake and made each other feel good.

Brady on the other hand continually kept everyone at a social arm's distance and in the end was left with two choices. Tampa bay or new England. 4) Brady's ego wouldn't let him go back to the Patriots and he has said all of the right things, written his condolences in the Boston papers and has made up with Robert Kraft.It's now the way of the NFL and all except a few have bought it.

In my opinion, for what it's worth to anyone other than myself, I think this whole thing started when the Patriots lost the Super Bowl to the Philadelphia Eagles. 5) Brady clearly blamed the loss on Belichick because he held his ground and punished Malcolm Butler for his behavior and failure to follow the team rules. The Patriots came back and won the Super Bowl against the Rams, but Brady couldn't take credit because his game was subpar and the defense was the hero.

6) Then came 2019 and Brady decided that he wasn't going to bend to the unwritten rules of the previous 19 years and skipped the entire offseason and never played in the preseason. Oddly, the blame was passed to the injured offensive line, the retired Rob Gronkowski and 7) finally the horrible group of piss poor wide receivers. Brady's hands were clean in the minds of many.

After twenty years of success and team solidarity, the foundation began to crack. 8) The 2020 playoffs finally broke the bonds and the end came.

There are marriages that are founded on more love and dedication than the relationships at Foxboro. Many of those marriages crack and crumble in less than ten years. Those divorces are often ugly and extremely painful. A Patriot fan could have only hoped that this relationship could have weathered one final storm. It was not to be. The human ego is frail and can be damaged with words as well as actions. That same ego can drive a man beyond all expectations and make him do things that he would never have otherwise done.

9) There is no blame here. There are two egos that are equally strong and ungiving. Those egos have reached a point where they must show the other ego that they can survive and succeed without the other ego present. Both may become damaged beyond repair. Both may know that it could suceed without the other and did. Neither will ever admit it.

1) 1 Year - $20 mil from Bill? Gotta link? RK said if he wanted to be a Pat he would be.
2) I think Brady already had his mind made up and was stalling. Partly for the attention, and partly because he was procrastinating it.
3) Brady made himself feel better, he'd been jerking RK around for a year or more.
4) Yeah, this.
5) Maybe...maybe not. Rumors that Butler couldn't even walk that morning he was so drunk. Other rumors that players knew the week prior Butler wouldn't play.
6) Yeah, I think his mind was already made up he wasn't coming back. Hence the no tag clause.
7) First time BB drafted a WR in the 1st round, another (Sure handed) UR WR, traded a future second for Sanu, brought in a known nutcase...BB was trying to do anything. Underutilized rookies, underutilized speedster with SOLID catch/drop numbers all Mr. Reliable with broken ribs, shoulder, neck, femur, sternum, rectum...thrown the ball 150 times while double/triple covered...
8) See 6
9) I blame Tom. I think Bill was bending and trying to give Tom anything he could. If for no other reason than to keep Robert happy. Is it because Tom want to prove it's him and not Bill? Maybe. Is Tom the best QB in history? I think so. Is Tom the best QB in the league right now? No. Was and is Tom the best QB that would give Bill the best chance to win. Yes. Tom knew that and said fuck you I'm leaving and I'm going to do it in a way that fucks you.

Just my dumbass opinion.

Thank you Robert Kraft, the greatest Patriot ever, for 26 great years. So Far.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blame is a strong word, IMO. BB has a system that is built equally upon his football and economic backgrounds. He tends to be heavily risk averse. The more risk he assumes, the less he is generally willing to pay for it. It's an approach that has served him very well and he doesn't have any compelling reason to stray too far from it. The reports are they offered him basically the same money for 20-21 last summer that the Bucs gave him (iirc $53M was the number I saw reported), but it wasn't going to be guaranteed like Tampa gave him. Which is understandable as the Pats assumed more risk with Brady in uncharted waters as a starting QB in his 40's. Can't really fault Bill for that approach.

Conversely, Brady wanted the guarantee. Which is also perfectly understandable.

They couldn't bridge the gap between those two approaches. Heartbreaking as it is, that's understandable, too. Whether it was seeing him in another uniform, or seeing him decline in this one, there wasn't ever going to be an ideal outcome.

I also think on some level they both as competitors are relishing the challenge of trying to do it without the other. After the longest and most successful QB-coach collaboration in history, I think they both just felt like maybe it was time to move on.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conversely, Brady wanted the guarantee. Which is also perfectly understandable.

And negotiable...But Brady didn't negotiate.

I bought a car once, a '78 Buick Electra Limited.
Used car dealer had just gotten it and ask me what it was worth. I told him to give me a price and I would then undercut it.
He laughed and said OK, $1300.
I said I'll give you $600.
He laughed and laughed. Then said $700.

It's called negotiation.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First an foremost no read I am reading OPs giant ass post. So I will say no one is to blame. If TB wanted to stay he would have.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First an foremost no read I am reading OPs giant ass post. So I will say no one is to blame. If TB wanted to stay he would have.
I'll summarize it for you..

Blah, blah, eventually most relationships crack, blah, blah, regardless, this one lasted a long time, blah.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fucking brutal crowd here.

And fuck Brady. He's dead to me now. The offense will be better this year than last year.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll summarize it for you..

Blah, blah, eventually most relationships crack, blah, blah, regardless, this one lasted a long time, blah.

Ken has a tendency to say in fourteen paragraphs what he could have said in six word.

" Whose to blame BB or TB?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking brutal crowd here.

And fuck Brady. He's dead to me now. The offense will be better this year than last year.

Well I won't go as far as to say he is dead to me or the offense will be better. Tom did what he wanted he owes us nothing.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken has a tendency to say in fourteen paragraphs what he could have said in six word.

" Whose to blame BB or TB?
Though presented in a mocking format, I actually did provide a good summary.

and BK -You keep being you!

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though presented in a mocking format, I actually did provide a good summary.

I have no issues with BK I just wait for a few people to reply then figure out what the hell the point was.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a writer. I've written three novels and I'm writing my fourth right now. When I write, I express my thoughts as they are. Sometimes I speak in a short manner and other times I write what I feel as well as what I think. That often takes me a great deal of effort to express what I want or need to say.

Readers have an option. They can read the entire book or summarize the book by reading the jacket. Readers can also give an unqualified opinion of the book and never read it. Still, others will read someone else's opinion and then express their opinion based on what someone has said. Never knowing if the person who expressed the original opinion has read the book.

In short, If you don't want to read a reply, don't read it.

But, Don't not read it and then bitch about it being tedious.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a writer. I've written three novels and I'm writing my fourth right now. When I write, I express my thoughts as they are. Sometimes I speak in a short manner and other times I write what I feel as well as what I think. That often takes me a great deal of effort to express what I want or need to say.

Readers have an option. They can read the entire book or summarize the book by reading the jacket. Readers can also give an unqualified opinion of the book and never read it. Still, others will read someone else's opinion and then express their opinion based on what someone has said. Never knowing if the person who expressed the original opinion has read the book.

a man after my own heart. A big chunk of my job is writing so yes keeping things concise is not an option. Keep up the good work man. Also what are the names of the books? Always looking for something new to read! Especially during this down time.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't bitch. I was playfully mocking you (which we do to each other often on this board), which is why I followed it up with "You keep being you". I clearly read the whole post or else I wouldn't have gleaned out the most important part.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Life comes down to choices you can simplify or complicate you often choose the latter. But that is who you are, I choose to read the jacket. It's a sports forum not a library

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Life comes down to choices you can simplify or complicate you often choose the latter. But that is who you are, I choose to read the jacket. It's a sports forum not a library
I stopped short of clicking winner, though I hovered over it for a moment and chose like.

The saying goes "perception is reality" which really means people will treat you the way they see you. Equally so, we act in a manner related to the way we perceive ourselves. The same holds true for the environment were in, we'll treat it as we see it (such as some people dressing formal for certain restaurants).

BK sees this place as part of the sports media library and himself as a curator. You see it as a tabloid magazine rack and yourself as a editorial contributor. But of course, these are my perceptions. I see this place more like the magazine rack and tend to act that way too.

I won't judge others for their perceptions. I apologize if I offend others, though I'm not sorry. I'm here to enjoy myself and my comments are not hurtful in the context I intend them.