• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which is it Calipari... Youth is "good" or "bad"

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
medium_052809calcamby.jpg

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why do you suppose it is that O'Brien was fired and call wasn't? (twice)

Any guesses as to why that might be or you just going to "no comment" that?

Call is better at covering up his tracks. I don't make excuses for O'brien. He broke the rules, got caught and suffered the consequences.

We can keep arguing back and forth like this, but try googling "biggest cheater in college basketball" and see who's name is front and center. This whole country knows it, but go ahead and keep the blinders on.

College basketball coaches vote on perceived 'biggest cheater'

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, is there some "honor among coaches" that everyone follows? Is that why none of the coaches that know about Calipari have turned him in? They just don't want to be a snitch? Is that it?

If so, why hasn't Thad Matta been ostracized for convincing Aaron Craft to rat out Bruce Pearl?

That one's on Pearl for being dumb enough to invite a 17 year old into his home like that. For that matter, why would craft care if he got Pearl in trouble? All he has to do is decommit and go to OSU. Other players do it all the time and don't get anyone in trouble.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That one's on Pearl for being dumb enough to invite a 17 year old into his home like that. For that matter, why would craft care if he got Pearl in trouble? All he has to do is decommit and go to OSU. Other players do it all the time and don't get anyone in trouble.
-
so much irony in this. Pearl was ostracized from the coaching community for turning over tapes that led to the Illini receiving sanctions. Only to have himself get in trouble as another coach "ratted" on him.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call is better at covering up his tracks. I don't make excuses for O'brien. He broke the rules, got caught and suffered the consequences.

We can keep arguing back and forth like this, but try googling "biggest cheater in college basketball" and see who's name is front and center. This whole country knows it, but go ahead and keep the blinders on.

College basketball coaches vote on perceived 'biggest cheater'

36% isn't "all" by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to talk hyperbole that's fine, but don't act like you're throwing "facts" around when you're just plain wrong.

BTW, here's the original articles as published on CBS

Critical Coaches: Who is perceived to be the biggest cheater in the sport? - CBSSports.com
Critical Coaches: Who's the best coach at bending but not breaking the rules? - CBSSports.com

Yet here, we've got a majority faction of coaches saying they believe Calipari doesn't cheat, that he knows the rules so well, he doesn't need to.

But I guess you didn't read that part, did you?

Oh, and the reason that O'Brien was fired and Cal wasn't is pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain... O'Brien was implicated in NCAA violations. Calipari was not. Simple as that.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pearl is responsible for Pearl getting in trouble, just like O'Brien was responsible for getting O'Brien in trouble. But that's not what I asked.

You keep talking about how "all" of these coaches "know" Calipari is a cheater, yet they don't turn him in. Why is that? Is there some honor among coaches, and if so why isn't Matta frowned upon for getting Craft to rat out Bruce Pearl?

Is the question too difficult? Do you not understand it? Or do you just not like the answer?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
36% isn't "all" by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to talk hyperbole that's fine, but don't act like you're throwing "facts" around when you're just plain wrong.

BTW, here's the original articles as published on CBS

Critical Coaches: Who is perceived to be the biggest cheater in the sport? - CBSSports.com
Critical Coaches: Who's the best coach at bending but not breaking the rules? - CBSSports.com

But I guess you didn't read that part, did you?

Oh, and the reason that O'Brien was fired and Cal wasn't is pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain... O'Brien was implicated in NCAA violations. Calipari was not. Simple as that.

Multiple coaches mentioned. Not much to take from that article. Little surprised to see Billy Donovan so high on the "bending rules" category, but that is not really an indictment. Izzo and Coach K are on the list also. Both are fluff pieces at best

Last edited by a moderator:

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pearl is responsible for Pearl getting in trouble, just like O'Brien was responsible for getting O'Brien in trouble. But that's not what I asked.

You keep talking about how "all" of these coaches "know" Calipari is a cheater, yet they don't turn him in. Why is that? Is there some honor among coaches, and if so why isn't Matta frowned upon for getting Craft to rat out Bruce Pearl?

Is the question too difficult? Do you not understand it? Or do you just not like the answer?

I've never heard anyone say Craft turned him before. Just an assumption on your part..? the very thing you're upset at me over. For that matter, why would Matta wanna get Pearl fired? What does he have to gain from that? It makes no sense neither Craft nor Matta benefit.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Multiple coaches mentioned. Not much to take from that article. Little surprised to see Billy Donovan so high on the "bending rules" category, but that is not really an indictment. Izzo and Coach K are on the list also. Both are fluff pieces at best

Izzo had a couple of kids that were "getting into trouble".. I don't remember why, that's why I used quotes. But he kicked them off immediately. I've never heard of Donovan doing anything that could be considered dirty either.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Izzo had a couple of kids that were "getting into trouble".. I don't remember why, that's why I used quotes. But he kicked them off immediately. I've never heard of Donovan doing anything that could be considered dirty either.

Who got dismissed?

Lucious and Nix were both arrested and neither were dismissed.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never heard anyone say Craft turned him before. Just an assumption on your part..? the very thing you're upset at me over. For that matter, why would Matta wanna get Pearl fired? What does he have to gain from that? It makes no sense neither Craft nor Matta benefit.

I've heard it. People have said it. Everyone knows it. That's all it takes to be guilty, right?

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who got dismissed?

Lucious and Nix were both arrested and neither were dismissed.

Yeah, lucious was dismissed. So was Chris Allen. Not sure about Nix... I don't remember hearing anything about him other than he tried to leave the team or something like that.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, lucious was dismissed. So was Chris Allen. Not sure about Nix... I don't remember hearing anything about him other than he tried to leave the team or something like that.

Huzzah! An actual bona fide fact. Way to go buddy! I knew you could do it. :clap:

Try it with Calipari, and you may be surprised.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
that is the pt. 100 coaches were polled on this 13 mentioned Calipari and 11 mentioned Donovan. Yet Calipari is a complete dirtbag and you believe Donovan to be a saint. I am not saying anything about Donovan, just pting out the perception amongst the 100 coaches polled.

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else find it somewhat funny that an Ohio State fan is crying about a program or coach "cheating"?

I'm sorry... did I miss something here? Seriously man, you're football program has a tremendous history of cheating. That sir is a "fact". Your basketball program has also given up a Final Four in 1999 for several proven reasons.

Here is a nickle's worth of advice for free... go find a leg to stand on before you start talking trash.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else find it somewhat funny that an Ohio State fan is crying about a program or coach "cheating"?

I'm sorry... did I miss something here? Seriously man, you're football program has a tremendous history of cheating. That sir is a "fact". Your basketball program has also given up a Final Four in 1999 for several proven reasons.

Here is a nickle's worth of advice for free... go find a leg to stand on before you start talking trash.

What I think is funny is that yesterday, I referenced the article on CBS and demonstrated that it didn't say what gpm thought it said. So today, he links to an article referencing the article I already addressed yesterday as if it's some sort of new revelation.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and everybody pays the price except this guy who gets to move on like nothing happened. I don't care what anyone says. I can't stand calipari and I have nothing more to say about it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and everybody pays the price except this guy who gets to move on like nothing happened. I don't care what anyone says. I can't stand calipari and I have nothing more to say about it.
-
It could be, because there was no proof of direct involvement. If there wa, he would have gotten at least a "show cause" tag. Hell O'Brien was teh coach when OSU was sanctioned and he got 2.4mm from OSU in a wrongful termination case. Seems like a good deal.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What price, exactly was paid? You keep talking about how Calipari "brought down" two programs yet you fail to mention any sanctions brought against either program, and you've yet to substantiate anything that Calipari did that led to those (if any) sanctions. You compare him to Pete Carroll at USC, but Pete was actually found to have been complicit in rule violations at USC. That didn't happen at either of Calipari's previous college gigs. Pete Carroll left USC in shambles because of NCAA sanctions against the program. They had scholarship reductions, recruiting restrictions, post season ban, none of which UMass or Memphis had to deal with. But yeah, other than all that, I can see the similarities. Um... they're both coaches, of men's sports. Both their last names start with a "C." Hell, that alone is probably enough to get a conviction in most courts, right?

It's like you're trying to use circular logic to prove your point, but you're incapable of even getting all the way around the circle.

Oh by the way, you said everybody pays except the guy that gets to move on... You're at least half right for a change. Marcus Camby and the agent that paid him didn't pay a price. Derrick Rose didn't pay a price for not responding to the testing center. Those are the guys that actually did (or didn't do) something concrete that caused their teams to vacate a season. Still waiting to hear something that Calipari did to get his teams in trouble.

Like I've said, if you don't like the guy that's your prerogative. But thus far nearly everything you've said to try and discredit him is utter horseshit. That's fine, if you want to delude yourself, more power to you. But you had better check under your bed every night before you go to bed or John Calipari will get you in your sleep.

And of course you have nothing more to say. You've lost the argument. :suds:

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care what anyone says.

...said no rational person, ever.

Rational people listen to reason. You sir, are not a rational person. You're simply a liar. You believe what you want to believe, not what the facts show to be true, and you continue to repeat those lies despite all evidence to the contrary.