• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which is it Calipari... Youth is "good" or "bad"

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During his halftime Interview Coach Calipari was asked why his players basically sucked and he said, "Because they are 18 and 19."

Then in his press conference after the game he was mentioning how you have to love Kentucky's love and exuberance which helped them win.

SO is YOUTH a good or bad thing?

You used it as both and excuse and a compliment all in the same game

Anyone else catch that?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you agree that there are advantages and disadvantages. For me Coach Cal's resonses are how he felt at each moment in time. Both statements are an example of pro's and con's for having freshman playing big minutes.

If UK's sucesses were just this one year, I could connect the dots. But UK has been very successful post season since Coach Cal's arrival in Lexington.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During his halftime Interview Coach Calipari was asked why his players basically sucked and he said, "Because they are 18 and 19."

Then in his press conference after the game he was mentioning how you have to love Kentucky's love and exuberance which helped them win.

SO is YOUTH a good or bad thing?

You used it as both and excuse and a compliment all in the same game

Anyone else catch that?

Youth is bad, talent is great. I think everyone gets it. At times UK looked like the moment was bigger than them. This game reminded me of the Memphis NC game. I am guessing Cal will make a FT shooting a bigger part of his practice going forward

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious that you can "win" with young talent. 3 Final Fours and 1 National Title is nothing to overlook but, it is also obvious that a little more experience can go a long way.

That said, I think Cal would be the first in line to change the rule to "2 and done"... would you disagree?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying he can't use it as an excuse AND say why they did so well...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, if Kentucky hit their FTs they would have won. They missed what... LIke 8 or 9

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They were 13-24
The moment that sank in was when Harrison missed the front end of a 1 and 1 inside of 3 minutes. Mumbled "that is going to leave mark" to myself

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Youth is bad, talent is great. I think everyone gets it. At times UK looked like the moment was bigger than them. This game reminded me of the Memphis NC game. I am guessing Cal will make a FT shooting a bigger part of his practice going forward

Going forward? Yeah, maybe if it was his second year coaching the sport.

A) FT shooting is always practiced and not always during scheduled practices.

B) You need players that can hit FTs. Some will never be able to shoot and other teams will exploit this.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going forward? Yeah, maybe if it was his second year coaching the sport.

A) FT shooting is always practiced and not always during scheduled practices.

B) You need players that can hit FTs. Some will never be able to shoot and other teams will exploit this.

More about dark humor than what Cal is going to do. The guy basically lost 2 NC games at the free throw lines

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, if Kentucky hit their FTs they would have won. They missed what... LIke 8 or 9

Then you can also say that if Uconn doesn't commit some of the most careless turnovers I've ever seen then the game would not have been that close anyways. I dunno.. that game was weird and kind of hard to watch. Uconn jumped on them hard early and then slowed the game down to an absolute crawl. Same thing every other team did to UK up to this point, but it worked this time.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, I think Cal would be the first in line to change the rule to "2 and done"... would you disagree?

Disagree - he says he would to take some heat off his one-and-done loophole (sorry, "succeed and proceed"), but he would have to change the entire program strategy in order to compete anywhere near the level he can attain now being the only one to blatantly recruit primarily year-removed NBA players.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree - he says he would to take some heat off his one-and-done loophole (sorry, "succeed and proceed"), but he would have to change the entire program strategy in order to compete anywhere near the level he can attain now being the only one to blatantly recruit primarily year-removed NBA players.

We should throw Coach K and Self in this area. How can recruit Wiggins and Parker? Where are your morals!!!

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should throw Coach K and Self in this area. How can recruit Wiggins and Parker? Where are your morals!!!

Neither recruit under the same "one-and-done" banner - completely different approach, and you know that.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calipiri has always recruited one and dones. Coach K rarely does that with the exception of the two you just mentioned.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know about Self, but coach K is probably one of the most respected coaches in the game and the one and done thing is not his style. I don't think anyone can be compared to calipari.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what will happen if Calipari actually goes to the Lakers..

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about Self, but coach K is probably one of the most respected coaches in the game and the one and done thing is not his style. I don't think anyone can be compared to calipari.

Are you sure? There are quite a lot of one and done that went through Duke. I am not sure what you want people to do. Look at the offer list of the UK kids. Randle offered by every major school in the country practically, including Duke and OSU. Scholarships permitting , most coaches would have taken everyone of those kids if they agreed to come.You can not say Calipari is bad man for winning Randle and the others are good for losing.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure? There are quite a lot of one and done that went through Duke. I am not sure what you want people to do. Look at the offer list of the UK kids. Randle offered by every major school in the country practically, including Duke and OSU. Scholarships permitting , most coaches would have taken everyone of those kids if they agreed to come.You can not say Calipari is bad man for winning Randle and the others are good for losing.

I agree. You can't just not take these kids. They're supposed to be the best in the nation. I dislike coach cal because of all the scandals that follow him from place to place... but that's a different subject. Anyways, nothing will change until the NBA steps up and changes the rules. That said, I don't feel a bit sorry for these kids that leave early and then get flushed out of the system and cry about being broke. They're all adults and can make these decisions on their own. Ross just decided not to come back for his senior year as OSU. I think it's a huge mistake, but maybe he knows otherwise. Who knows, but it's his decision and make or break he has to live with it.