• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 7: Virginia Tech vs. Duke (Oct. 13, 2012)

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What matters is when the ball gets to him. When it gets there Davis is 5 yards away from Gregory and bringing a defensive player with him. It's either a wrong route by Davis or a stupid play drawn up by one of the offensive masterminds at VT. Let's say Gregory catches it...what if Davis makes that block but the guy covering Davis makes the tackle on Gregory

I dunno man in madden when I call quick slants the receivers are close to one another. Which reminds me, we need to run more quick slants. Also more screens, 'cause those work every time too. It's almost as if our coaches don't even play madden!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one complaint i have with the play calling in the Duke game.

Do we have a quota that we have to meet on the amount of times we call that quick pass to Dyrell on the sideline, right at the line of scrimmage? yeah it worked a couple of times, but sheesh, seemed like we were calling that exact play at least 1 or 2 times per drive

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What matters is when the ball gets to him. When it gets there Davis is 5 yards away from Gregory <---- a good 7 yards or so north and south and you still arent accounting for the east/west distance.
and bringing a defensive player with him. <--- i'd take gregory in a foot race v/s a duke mlb (who would have had to navigate through davis and the cb to get to gregory) any day.

It's either a wrong route by Davis or a stupid play drawn up by one of the offensive masterminds at VT. <---we've ran that play several times this year, once to Coleman for a big play.

Let's say Gregory catches it...what if Davis makes that block but the guy covering Davis makes the tackle on Gregory<--- see my last two comments.

Nothing wrong with the design on the play IMO just got busted when gregory bobbled the catch. If he catches it in stride he has two blockers v/s 3 defenders and the 'unblocked' defender has a lot going against him (ground to make up, has to navigate through traffic to get there, and once he gets there will be chasing a guy way faster than he)

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think they should spread everyone out and use the entire field

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If Gregory has to make a cut then the LB would have a chance

oh he's got a chance regardless but if gregory cuts it inside he is stopped for a little gain 1-2 yards if gregory bounces it outside it will go for at least 5 or more.

I dont typically want a bunch of receivers in the same spot either but I think Davis' route was designed to get an extra blocker on that side of the field.

I'd have to look at it again to be sure but I think that either Knowles or Fuller are already blocking downfield which tells me that this play was designed more as an extended handoff than as an actual pass play with multiple receivers.

Last edited by a moderator: