• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Watson wants the Jets

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can get a 25 year old franchise QB you do it. Jets have a monstrous number of picks the next 3 years, 2 firsts this year and next. They could give up 3 firsts and still have breathing room.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think at some point you would have to throw in a player. In a weird way the #2 pick might be worth as much as the other three combined.

I would have his trade value somewhere around just the two firsts from this year. Texans would need value right away. It sounds low but we've seen a decent number of paid QBs fade that it would give me pause to bet the farm on any single player.
If I'm Houston and only get 2 first out of the deal it's going to have to be the Jets 2021 and the Jets 2022 firsts not any of the Seahawks picks which are worth a lot less and I'd want something else to sweeten the pot on top of that or else just keep Watson. Their fans are up in arms about considering trading Watson so they need a deal they can sell to their fans or Watson is just going to have to deal with staying on the Titans roster

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm Houston and only get 2 first out of the deal it's going to have to be the Jets 2021 and the Jets 2022 firsts not any of the Seahawks picks which are worth a lot less and I'd want something else to sweeten the pot on top of that or else just keep Watson. Their fans are up in arms about considering trading Watson so they need a deal they can sell to their fans or Watson is just going to have to deal with staying on the Titans roster
This is kind of a no win situation for the Texans because they just had a star player just call the Texans structurally incompetent.

Pick values in the current year are generally worth quite a bit more than future years. The Jets #2 overall pick is the major prize. Trevor Lawrence is getting Andrew Luck hype and that same year the RG3 trade was made. There is definitely value in the first 'non-Andrew Luck' pick in a draft because many teams will value it like a #1 overall in a regular draft.

Here is why Deshaun Watson isn't worth 4 1st round picks imo.

1. He has an $82 million cap hit the next 2 seasons
2. He is a potential FA in 2026
3. He is wanting out of a situation where he led the league in yards, yards per attempt, and yards per catch.
4. That team had Will Fuller, a 1st round WR, and Brandin Cooks, a 1st Round WR, Randall Cobb, a starting level WR, and Laremy Tunsil OT who was considered the top player in his draft until one of the weirdest draft days ever.
5. They fired and humiliated a coach with a winning record

And I get it. We should be on Watson's side. Watson will most likely be a top 5 QB for the next 15 years. Probably. How much is that doubt a deterrent?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't see Watson getting traded.

Yea, I have this feeling that enough time has passed for Watson to clamed down a bit and think this through.
I'm assuming the front office has been trying to reassure him as well.

I won't be surprised at all if he stays and that half the reports that came out were bullshit.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is why Deshaun Watson isn't worth 4 1st round picks imo.

1. He has an $82 million cap hit the next 2 seasons
2. He is a potential FA in 2026
3. He is wanting out of a situation where he led the league in yards, yards per attempt, and yards per catch.
4. That team had Will Fuller, a 1st round WR, and Brandin Cooks, a 1st Round WR, Randall Cobb, a starting level WR, and Laremy Tunsil OT who was considered the top player in his draft until one of the weirdest draft days ever.
5. They fired and humiliated a coach with a winning record
1) As will many/ most franchise type QBs
2) 2026? That a plus for those trading for him.
3) Thus his value to the Titans is sky high
4) Not sure how that applies to Watson value
5) Water under the bridge and now they need to get full value on the assets they have

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4) Not sure how that applies to Watson value
Is it fair to say that the Jets have one of the worst receiving corps and one of the worst offensive lines? Except for Becton. He is going to be great.

I guess we'll find out Watson's value here shortly.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it fair to say that the Jets have one of the worst receiving corps and one of the worst offensive lines? Except for Becton. He is going to be great.

Going into FA that's fair. Might be a spot for Juju or Corey Davis if Watson lands there.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don’t see how the Jets are a big upgrade for him if they are forced to hand all their draft capital to the Texans, which is pretty much a lock
They have 2nd most cap space behind the Jags.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but it's not even the same as Miami's #3 pick from Houston, imo. Jets have Darnold to trade to another team (or Houston, lol) plus the draft picks from the Jamal Adams trade. Jets certainly COULD do it and not cut their head off in the process. Texans could get Justin Fields/Wilson with no strings attached.
Yeah....they have a lot of picks.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Be a good idea for the titans to include Cooks in the deal to shed some salary.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be a good idea for the titans to include Cooks in the deal to shed some salary.
I'm amused by the fact that you keep saying Titans but I could totally see that being part of the trade. It's not an offseason without Cooks getting traded.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably fair but easily fixable too. Lots of money to spend and enough picks if they use them wisely. Finally have a coach that brings a winning mentality. I think the Jets are in better shape than a lot of teams, especially the Texans. With or without Watson, Houston is likely to only be worse going forward, not better. Fwiw, I think most WRs are a dime a dozen. Only a handful are real difference makers, imo.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm amused by the fact that you keep saying Titans but I could totally see that being part of the trade. It's not an offseason without Cooks getting traded.
Texans :L

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt it. Why would DW, who wants out of a dysfunctional franchise in the Texans, suddenly want to be a part of a franchise that hasn't exactly been the pillar of stability in the Jets? Because of a minority HC? Isn't the owner a pro Trump guy......something that Watson doesn't sound too keen on. Looks more like clickbait to me.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Jets are willing to trade both their 2021 first round picks and both 2022 first round picks, Houston should at least give it some consideration.
The guy is getting $40M per year right? No shot they get the #2 overall pick for him, is there? I'd say their 2nd #1 and something else. Maybe the early second?

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt it. Why would DW, who wants out of a dysfunctional franchise in the Texans, suddenly want to be a part of a franchise that hasn't exactly been the pillar of stability in the Jets? Because of a minority HC? Isn't the owner a pro Trump guy......something that Watson doesn't sound too keen on. Looks more like clickbait to me.

The reported reason for Watson’s New York preference isn’t the large market or strong roster (rim shot), but their hire of former San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh as their new head coach. Watson’s reverence for Saleh is high enough that he reportedly requested the Texans interview him for their head coach position, which the team did not do. That’s in line from a previous report from ProFootballTalk’s Mike Florio.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't see Watson getting traded.
I actually see the exact opposite. Franchise QB not happy and you can get a boatload for him and start over with that #2 this year....you pull the trigger. I would be shockrd if he isn’t traded

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I haven't fully considered how much the Texans would actually get out of this. Watson is not worth 4 1st round picks. Jets would be foolish to offer that.
According to @ducky Watson is worth 10 1st’s or at least half of that lol