• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: VT @ THE Ohio State University, The Horseshoe, 8PM ESPN

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's too early to start this post as we have had this one circled on our schedule for awhile.

Coming off a nice win versus W & M the offense looked comfortable and Brewer played well. Defense looked good too, but we are talking about a FCS team (albeit, a pretty good one). But as always, in Bud I trust, and I think his lunch pail D will be up to the challenge. I am sure Loeffler didn't show his hand wrt the O in the first game either.

Meyers boys have won 25 straight in the regular season and are coming off a win vs Navy where they were on the ropes a bit for the first 2 or 3 quarters before talent broke it open to secure a decisive victory. Navy ran all over them, but then again, that's all they do and the triple option always poses a challenge to teams who rarely see it. I was a bit surprised that it took awhile for OSUs offense to get going on a defense that they should pretty well handle. The absence of Braxton Miller shouldn't be discounted. Still, without him they are still loaded with talent and have one of the best coaches in the business.

This game may be won in the trenches, I am curious to see how our line (O & D) will stack up against their big uglies. It should be an interesting game. I think it will be close and could go either way.

tOSU people.... Please join in the conversation if you wish. Let's keep it civil...

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely looking forward to this one. I came out of yesterday optimistic here. Glad we're playing them in week 2, as I expect a few adjustments on both sides of the ball, but overall we looked pretty good yesterday. If we can do a couple things better next week, we should have a good shot.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
tOSU didn't look super impressive in week 1, but they're always stacked with talent. I think having a smaller but faster defense will prove useful in this game to contain Barrett's scrambling ability and cause fits for Meyer's spread offense. Hopefully the offense can work out some kinks from week one and at the very least play efficiently. I can see us atleast putting up a good fight, and hopefully by the grace of the football gods we pull off the W over a top 10 team.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The line is 12? Definitely think that's being generous to OSU...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel a little bit better about our chances seeing that Brewer looks to be a solid, stable QB and that our freshmen can run the ball well. But I still think Ohio State wins. I don't put much into them struggling with Navy. Navy had a lot of experienced players out there and can give teams fits if they overlook them.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Juice and Shai are now listed as co-no 1 on the depth chart starting the week.

I imagine unless something major changes this week, they will get the bulk of the carries on Sat. night.

Me likey.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be closer than the 12 pt spread. The Buckeyes have had this game circled for some time. It's on primetime in the 'Shoe'. Barrett will be good to go now that he has a game under his belt. The defense will be better. It's not like facing the triple option offense again. I'm not too concerned at all about this game. Meyer is a master at gameplanning and will have his team ready to roll. Hope to see a good game and injury free. Good luck Hokies.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like facing the triple option offense again.

Not on the same side of the ball, but Foster's D has often been called the defensive equivalent of the triple option... Unique and a pain to prepare for.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm worried about stopping the run. We have an undersized dline this year and struggled a little bit against W&M. Ohio State is known for running well first to setup the pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ohio State will be a real test of both the offense and defense. The key will be playing mistake-free football, while still mounting an effective offense and defense. William and Mary was just to get some game experience. Ohio State just beat a very good Navy team, and probably learned a lot by doing that.

I think they're up to the task, but the proof will come on Saturday.

Go Hokies!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mobile QB worries me. Mobile QBs ate us up last year

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mm may be missing this one as well (missed W&M due to the beach).

might be going to the USCe/ECU game in Columbia.. this one i'll have to record though.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm worried about stopping the run. We have an undersized dline this year and struggled a little bit against W&M. Ohio State is known for running well first to setup the pass.

One thing we have going for us there is that 4 of their starting linemen from last year are gone. Most of the guys that played vs Navy have very little experience. Still, OSU is always loaded, so I am sure they are plenty capable of handling their own. I am sure Bud and Wiles will dial it up with the front 7 and try to confuse them with some looks, stunts, etc.

I think sustaining drives and keeping our D off the field for the whole game will be a crucial element come 4th quarter.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think sustaining drives and keeping our D off the field for the whole game will be a crucial element come 4th quarter.

To me, this has definitely been the biggest issue in big games for us. Our D is only good enough to win big games for us if they can get some help out of the offense. Otherwise, we just get manhandled down the stretch. The Alabama games and the Orange Bowl against Stanford come to mind.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm officially old... looking at that 8pm start time (and looking at the 3-week-old kid in my wife's arms) and it makes me sleepy. Oh how the times have changed.

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>No WR Josh Stanford (hamstring) at practice today. No Carlis Parker either. TE Kalvin Cline (knee) in green. <a href="">September 2, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>