• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: UW @ UCLA

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friday night game pitting the Huskies against the Bruins at the Rose Bowl. UCLA hasn't lost to UW at home in 18 years.

Lots of ways to boil this down and in most of them UW looks like it should be favored on paper. The problem is how many times this team has under performed on the road.

UW is 78th in run defense, but considering that UCLA had to covert someone to RB just to have a body there should mean this isn't going to be the biggest concern for us. On that same note UCLA is 81st in run defense and we all know that UW is a run first team. ADVANTAGE UW Big time.

Washington is 25th in the nation in passing defense and they will need to lean on that experience in this game. Hundley's play will probably have more impact on the outcome of this game than any other player for either team. UCLA is 28th in passing defense. In the last two games UCLA has given up 247 passing yards to Colorado (along with 134 rushing) and 186 passing yards to Arizona (239 rushing). Neither of those teams are big time passing teams given that Colorado just sucks and Zona is a big time running team. We all know what UW did against both of those teams on defense. Still, Hundley is more dangerous in passing than Price should be considering how many short quick passes UW now features and how poor Price has been on the road. ADVANTAGE slightly to UCLA

So you like UW to run Sankey and run him often which should help Price on the road. I wouldn't be surprised to see UW with at least 200 total rushing yards and wouldn't put 250 out of reach given how many yards they have given up over their last two games. UCLA is dealing with more injuries, but a home game for Hundley could give the Bruins enough to give them the win. As he goes so does their team. If he has a bad game the game will be over in the 3rd quarter with UW running up the score. If he plays well price is going to have to play a much more mistake free game than is typical of him in big road games if they are to be in it late.

I'm really on the fence on this game. If it was on a neutral field I would give the edge to UW. If it was a home game for them I would pick them in a 10pt+ win, but it's not. Sark hasn't done a very good job of getting his teams to play as solidly on the road as they do at home. The question is which is the aberration here: The absolute egg they laid at ASU, or nearly pulling off the upset at Stanford? I think it is easy to say it was the latter as that was probably the best road game they have played under Sark (and yet it was still a loss), but could that Stanford game have given them enough confidence and motivation to know they CAN play on the road?

Add that this is a very big game for both teams. UCLA is very much in the hunt for the south division and cannot allow another loss if they want to keep their RB hopes alive. UW is already bowl eligible, but in his 5th season Sark really cannot afford to lose both of these remaining road games. He must win one, or both to keep his program moving forward and keeping the fans behind him. And he knows it. UCLA may have more on the line and Mora has so far in his short career been able to get his kids up for these pressure filled big games. Well except for playing against the teams that are indeed better than his.

Right, so is UW a better team then would be the question. You take Hundley over Price and Sankey over Jack and both have defenses that are quite similar in overall stats. Because Price is on the road I just can't say they are the better team.

I'm going to say UCLA 32 and UW 27 with turnovers and penalties being the difference.
Still, I would not be surprised at all to see UW win this game. I'm just not calling for it because I have zero faith that Price can play as good of a game as he will need to on the road at this point in his career.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna go the other way, UW 30 UCLA 17, Im personally done with the excuse that they play poorly on the road, its time to take the next step. You said it Wiz on paper the Dawgs have the faster, better team, if they lose its on the coaches, you cant keep running the same "not gonna get it done players" out there when you have depth like they do now. The days of excuses are over, its time to put up and shut up...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna go the other way, UW 30 UCLA 17, Im personally done with the excuse that they play poorly on the road, its time to take the next step. You said it Wiz on paper the Dawgs have the faster, better team, if they lose its on the coaches, you cant keep running the same "not gonna get it done players" out there when you have depth like they do now. The days of excuses are over, its time to put up and shut up...

Oh I agree. If they don't win either of the next two it is as much on Sark for not doing anything about those who are nor performing in road games as it is the players who are failing.

I just have zero faith in KP after that ASU debacle. UCLA will bring a decent pass rush even if they don't appear to blitz much and Price always seems to get into that panic/trying to force plays mode against good defenses on the road. Not having Kasen will also be a potential problem in this game. They are going to have to rely on ASJ more.

UW can win this game if KP stays within his game plans and doesn't do anything stupid. I don't see UCLA stopping the screen plays and keeping our fast receivers contained all day. If UW can get some momentum in their screens it should widen the defense enough to give Sankey even more room. That combination is deadly when it works. They don't even need to throw down field to win if they can keep things going well in the screens/rushing.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as long as we don't let Barr become the #1 draft pick from this game, UW will win.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get Sankey rolling early and just keep pounding the rock all game long. That is absolutely one of the key's to the game.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get Sankey rolling early and just keep pounding the rock all game long. That is absolutely one of the key's to the game.
Yes, but just like the Seahawks and Lynch, the screens are a big part of the success of the running game for both. I love reading all the hate for screens on the hawks board, but it would seem none of them actually played the game. Neither team has a O line like Stanford that can just dominate and create lanes even if you stuff the box so they must widen the field and keep the LB's honest and the screens are a big part of that. Ross and Mickens have both had success on the outside, but even when those plays only go for 2-4 yards it still does the job of keeping the other team from stuffing the box.

I really don't want to see KP throw anything down field unless he finds someone wide open. Obviously that changes on 3rd and long, but even then put it up for ASJ and let him go get it.

UCLA won't be able to stop the run unless they can also stop those screens and I don't see them doing either.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but just like the Seahawks and Lynch, the screens are a big part of the success of the running game for both. I love reading all the hate for screens on the hawks board, but it would seem none of them actually played the game. Neither team has a O line like Stanford that can just dominate and create lanes even if you stuff the box so they must widen the field and keep the LB's honest and the screens are a big part of that. Ross and Mickens have both had success on the outside, but even when those plays only go for 2-4 yards it still does the job of keeping the other team from stuffing the box.

I really don't want to see KP throw anything down field unless he finds someone wide open. Obviously that changes on 3rd and long, but even then put it up for ASJ and let him go get it.

UCLA won't be able to stop the run unless they can also stop those screens and I don't see them doing either.

That's a perfect game plan, you pound it with Shankey, throw in some screens, ( none of those stupid bubble screens) then you set them up for that one or two play action pass, ( sorry Wiz I would let Price ari it out) but I would damn sure make sure he's in a groove, thats gonna keep UCLA on there heels...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like forcing the other team to cheat up and then go for down field strikes, but UW's HUNH offense isn't really built for that this year. Last year's team and his other prior pro style traditional huddle offenses were built for that. When you look for quick strikes out of the pistol formation you don't have time for those routes to develop. They are now built for getting the ball off in a couple of seconds or just pound it. They often now run the same play 2-3 times in a row and have a more limited playbook.

I don't know if I'm overall in favor of this new HUNH stuff and the flavor we are running, but it just isn't designed right now for deep passing. Passes beyond 10 yards are far more rare now than ever before.

The only likely additions or significant changes over these last three games will be how they use ASJ. He has been running in some WR routes over the last two games and I expect they will keep on increasing that. We do know Mora has had to now game plan for that at least. Now that he can line up either TE or WR we will be able to give the defense many more looks and work on mismatches because of it.

RoyHobbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that it's a given the Bruins are not gonna stop Sankey from getting his 100 + yards per game & to be quite frank we aren't concerned about the rushing yardage that you will pile up tonight in the Rose Bowl. The real key imo is which Price will show up for this game. We do field an above average line backing core in Zumwalt & Barr. If they can pressure Price effectively, then it could be a long night for the dawgs. Stanford & Oregon both proved that our secondary is no match for a QB that can throw the ball well.
Hundley has really performed well in his second year as a starter. He likes the confines of home and has guided the team to a 9-2 home record so far. He still has a lot of upside and is much more mobile when Mora takes the short leash off of him. This is our second straight home game although I can't really recall the last time we took the field on a Friday night.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Myles Jack take the field as the starting running back. Kinda odd how UCLA was able to land this top running back from Bellevue High in the Evergreen State. Be that as it may it's nice to have a talented freshman RB who can play with the big boys from day one.
Yea, we will rack up the penalties as Mora has no clue yet how to keep that from happening. The weather won't be a factor with game time temps in the high 50's. On paper it looks to be a pretty close game and it looks like whoever has the most mistakes will end up on the short end.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, I love when people ask about kids who are snatched from the NW but never seem to mention how many kids we have from YOUR backyard. I think last time I checked UW had at least 1/3 of their kids from Cali including most of their key players.

The notion of putting a fence around kids near your school is from the past. This game is national and so is the exposure. I just want the very best kids we can find who also fit our system and couldn't care less where they come from, nor do I care if kids from around here go somewhere else. Just doesn't matter anymore.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, first quarter gone and so far the offense has shot itself in the foot every time it has touched it outside of one decent scoring drive and the defense has been a complete and utter joke. This is what we get in Sark's 5th season in a big game? Really?
Ross takes a kickoff out of the end zone and gets blown up at the 10 and there was a hold on it. ASJ fumbles the first pass of the game because he didn't catch it and pull it into his body. Sankey fumbles. Guys are blowing tackles left and right, and one of the most frustrating when UCLA fumbles Shaq tries to do too much and attempts to pick up the ball instead of just fall on it and UCLA ends up getting back for a big gain.

Total and complete fucking joke.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ucla was not that good. UW should have won that if it wasn't for the lack of discipline and focus on the road YET AGAIN. Holy fuck Sark. Did you learn anything at all from your time with James?

:puke:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many F ups in the first half on the road costs us the game. Story of this team for years now.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Alummni just need to get together and turn against Sark. Honestly you guys should be hoping for a apple cup loss. I know but UW needs some discipline and a coach with some heart. With new facility's any new coach can dig there feet in and have no problem recruiting.

I expect Fire Sark chants and Fire Sark t-shirts for the apple cup game.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Alummni just need to get together and turn against Sark. Honestly you guys should be hoping for a apple cup loss. I know but UW needs some discipline and a coach with some heart. With new facility's any new coach can dig there feet in and have no problem recruiting.

I expect Fire Sark chants and Fire Sark t-shirts for the apple cup game.

Two more games left. No need for that yet. We beat OSU & WSU and this season isn't a disaster.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh we were 6-4 coming off an embarrising loss to Washington State. Trust me I wanted wins to, but when ASU lost to Uofa at home favored by 10. ASU had 2 plays where 6 guys missed tackles no joke it was so ugly and undisciplined game if Sark is this undiscipline and his guys dont play with passion you want him out. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUiqkU_-XJY]Arizona vs Arizona State Football Highlights 11.19.2011 - YouTube[/ame]
2:10 One of the best corners in the Pac misses an easy tackle would of never developed under Erickson. And then 2:25. You cant win missing tackles and racking up penalties you just cant you will find ways to lose. It makes me sick of how much talent Erickson almost wasted because his lack of coaching skills. :yuck: NFL talents like Burfict almost didn't make the NFL because of Erickson.

Anyway this really doesnt have to do with Sark. But I saw missed tackles, and penalties tonight, and a team that just had no pride and passion. Didnt play with the fire that the Don James teams had from what I have heard. UW has the history, the facility's, and a great fan base to get a better coach than Don James.

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't give up those turnover for points on the road like we did in the 1st quarter and expect a W. It sealed our fate. It simply created too much of a hole to try to dig yourself out of. Proud of the Husky effort to get it to within 3 early in the 3rd, but it was not enough to win, because you knew UCLA had plenty of time to regain the momentum and did.

It's sad because it was a huge blown opportunity. UCLA was only favored by -2 going into this game and have a lot of injuries. Huskies could of won tonight, but we blew it with the turnovers and that's all she wrote. Massive blown opportunity.

The refs really fucked with us the whole game as well. How the hell are you supposed to play football with the refs calling that bad a game against the visiting team? Too much B.S. to overcome. Blah....

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still Sarks teams miss tackles and he still racks up quite a few penalties also Sark has never been able to win on the road. Alright im done now no more non sense from me. What you think of Hundley? Okay bye.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another flat road performance.

One thing I need to say that I've been holding back this year because I don't like to trash kids. However, Ducre sucks.

Every time his name comes up it's as a liability.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, I love when people ask about kids who are snatched from the NW but never seem to mention how many kids we have from YOUR backyard. I think last time I checked UW had at least 1/3 of their kids from Cali including most of their key players.

The notion of putting a fence around kids near your school is from the past. This game is national and so is the exposure. I just want the very best kids we can find who also fit our system and couldn't care less where they come from, nor do I care if kids from around here go somewhere else. Just doesn't matter anymore.

Myles Jack snickered
Dawgfather wept