• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: UW @ UCLA

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another flat road performance.

One thing I need to say that I've been holding back this year because I don't like to trash kids. However, Ducre sucks.

Every time his name comes up it's as a liability.

I agree that Ducre sucks and unfortunately he isn't a senior so we will have him next year as well. In fact he is the only non senior starter in the back so I worry about next years pass defense.

However Ducre wasn't the reason we lost this game. I don't believe he had any of the PI's did he?

Overall most of the kids played really well in this game. They just had too many mistakes in the first quarter and then lost their QB in the second half. That's a hard road for any team to go down and come away with a W.

This one hurts because I believe UW was moving the ball very well and proved once they stopped bailing out UCLA's offense on stupid penalties on 3rd downs over and over that they could stop that offense. I think we all know had they not had those first two bad breaks on offense and had the defense not made so many self inflicted wounds on really stupid penalties that this game would have been a win. That has to frustrate every fan. This game was entirely winnable.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Ducre sucks and unfortunately he isn't a senior so we will have him next year as well. In fact he is the only non senior starter in the back so I worry about next years pass defense.

However Ducre wasn't the reason we lost this game. I don't believe he had any of the PI's did he?

Overall most of the kids played really well in this game. They just had too many mistakes in the first quarter and then lost their QB in the second half. That's a hard road for any team to go down and come away with a W.

This one hurts because I believe UW was moving the ball very well and proved once they stopped bailing out UCLA's offense on stupid penalties on 3rd downs over and over that they could stop that offense. I think we all know had they not had those first two bad breaks on offense and had the defense not made so many self inflicted wounds on really stupid penalties that this game would have been a win. That has to frustrate every fan. This game was entirely winnable.

Yeah it was a winnable game. About Ducre and the pi calls I think he did have one and a personal foul in the 1q. Both times he was blatantly tugging the jersey and facemasking. I might be wrong on the pi, but he definitely had 2 penalties against him that quarter. Maybe they were both personal fouls.

They panned to Sark after the second one and he was bent over in disgust lol...

I was hoping he would pull the kid at that point.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The notion of putting a fence around kids near your school is from the past. This game is national and so is the exposure. I just want the very best kids we can find who also fit our system and couldn't care less where they come from, nor do I care if kids from around here go somewhere else. Just doesn't matter anymore.

I'm gonna disagree with you on this Wiz. I believe the fence still needs to be put in place, yes there isn't always the high talent you want and no you don't offer scholarships to those lacking in talent, but a kid like this Jack, wtf? The kid wanted to play linebacker in college, why not let him play linebacker? Its not this Husky roster is deep in talent at the linebacker spot. You don't let good talent out of the state, you do everything in the book to make sure he stays here.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it was a winnable game. About Ducre and the pi calls I think he did have one and a personal foul in the 1q. Both times he was blatantly tugging the jersey and facemasking. I might be wrong on the pi, but he definitely had 2 penalties against him that quarter. Maybe they were both personal fouls.

They panned to Sark after the second one and he was bent over in disgust lol...

I was hoping he would pull the kid at that point.
You are probably right. I do know Ducre gets beat all the time. The fact that he doesn't ever get pulled shows you why you need to worry big time for next season as he is the only returning member of the secondary. They must not have anyone better than him. :L

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many F ups in the first half on the road costs us the game. Story of this team for years now.

* No Urgency, the talking heads were saying they talked to both teams before the game and the Dawgs lacked that fire right before the game.

*Play calling, first play was a normal screen pass, it didn't work they never went back to it, they ran the frickn bubble screens to the wide outs and UCLA was sitting on it.

*ASJ, you know what you can take your millions and leave this program, cause kid you'll end up just like Stevens, your piss poor handling of the ball after a catch, (first turnover) then in the second quarter you didn't even attempt to catch a Price pass that was a little high, (but placed perfectly) cause you saw the safety moving over and you didn't want to take the hit.

* Price, kid I've been done with you for a while now, sure you didn't cost them the game but you didn't step up your game, QB's that are good will lead, they will get on a teammate when they do something foolish, and this team has passed foolish a while back, there needs to be some yelling, there needs to be players called out on stupid flags, cause we passed the whole "young team" excuse also a while back, you stand there with that stupid smile on your face, personally this coach would tell you to get that stupid smile off your face, grow a pair and act like a leader that gives a damn.

*Sark, you have pulled this program from the ashes of nothing, but your ass should be getting hot, and it showed with your decisions in the second half, the fake punt, great call, but a little late. You got beat by a douche bag coach that made an ass out of himself campaigning for the head job at UW, but thank god the people in charge also realized hes a "want to be" riding his daddies coat tail wasn't that great of a professional head coach. If USC is foolish to take you as there next head coach this fan wont cry, I'll have a smile on my face and know damn well the Dawgs will have great success against SC for the next few seasons with you at the helm...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna disagree with you on this Wiz. I believe the fence still needs to be put in place, yes there isn't always the high talent you want and no you don't offer scholarships to those lacking in talent, but a kid like this Jack, wtf? The kid wanted to play linebacker in college, why not let him play linebacker? Its not this Husky roster is deep in talent at the linebacker spot. You don't let good talent out of the state, you do everything in the book to make sure he stays here.

Yeah, I don't know what was said to Jack specifically by the school. It has been a generic answer to say UCLA was the only school that offered to let him play LB, but we don't know how accurate that is. Kids say things all the time.

The broader point still stands. In this modern era kids have much more exposure to teams all across the country. There is way more TV coverage than ever before and 4star kids are now recruited not only by visits, but by tweets, emails, facebook, and other social media where people not on the coaching staff can work on those kids.

Of course you want to get as many locals as you can. Every team wants that and every team works at that. You are always going to have kids who just want to get as far away from home as they can or who had family ties or other associations with other schools and you just aren't going to get those. Outside of that now everyone loses more kids than they used to for the reasons outlined above.

As long as UW is still in the top 20 of recruiting classes I don't give a damn where those kids are coming from. Over 1/3 of our team comes from southern cal and many were also chased after by not only the cali schools, but also teams nationwide.

This is the new reality. What James had no longer exists.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* No Urgency, the talking heads were saying they talked to both teams before the game and the Dawgs lacked that fire right before the game.

*Play calling, first play was a normal screen pass, it didn't work they never went back to it, they ran the frickn bubble screens to the wide outs and UCLA was sitting on it.

*ASJ, you know what you can take your millions and leave this program, cause kid you'll end up just like Stevens, your piss poor handling of the ball after a catch, (first turnover) then in the second quarter you didn't even attempt to catch a Price pass that was a little high, (but placed perfectly) cause you saw the safety moving over and you didn't want to take the hit.

* Price, kid I've been done with you for a while now, sure you didn't cost them the game but you didn't step up your game, QB's that are good will lead, they will get on a teammate when they do something foolish, and this team has passed foolish a while back, there needs to be some yelling, there needs to be players called out on stupid flags, cause we passed the whole "young team" excuse also a while back, you stand there with that stupid smile on your face, personally this coach would tell you to get that stupid smile off your face, grow a pair and act like a leader that gives a damn.

*Sark, you have pulled this program from the ashes of nothing, but your ass should be getting hot, and it showed with your decisions in the second half, the fake punt, great call, but a little late. You got beat by a douche bag coach that made an ass out of himself campaigning for the head job at UW, but thank god the people in charge also realized hes a "want to be" riding his daddies coat tail wasn't that great of a professional head coach. If USC is foolish to take you as there next head coach this fan wont cry, I'll have a smile on my face and know damn well the Dawgs will have great success against SC for the next few seasons with you at the helm...
wow, can't say I agree with any of this.

Sark preaches not getting too high and not getting too low. He doesn't want his kids 'jacked up' before a game. He wants them to be playing in the same way they practice.

They ran that same screen pass just before the play that ASJ fumbled and it went for like 2-3 yards. The screens in general are part of the running game. They are meant to make the LB's play out wide to give more holes for the running game. When they produce explosive plays they are a bonus, not the target of calling them. They ended up going away from them because they were behind. A running team is built off having a lead or playing from an even point, not playing from a 14+ point deficit. Sankey ran well all day, but they HAD to go to the passing game to try and get back in it. The screens HAD to go away. Pure and simple.

The ASJ 'catch' probably shouldn't have been ruled a catch. He didn't even complete a step with the ball before it was knocked loose. He hadn't even had time to get it up high before it was hit. As frustrating as it was, I'm not sure I would say dump a kid over it.

Price played as good, if not better than he did in the Stanford game. He rallied the kids and mounted a comeback that would have gone down in history had it been completed. His injury sealed that loss. No one can be frustrated or upset at him AT ALL for that loss. PERIOD. And I've been deeply critical of him myself so this isn't a homer assessment.

As for Sark, as I already said in another post the part of this game on his head is the penalties. Both fumbles were unfortunate, but not a coaching problem. ASJ's should have been ruled a non catch and Sankey is normally very very good at ball control. Shit happens. That they came back to within 3 also has to be credited to the coaches as well as giving them grief for the hole they were in. Had KP stayed in they just might have won that game despite all the issues. Price was throwing down field very well and had that defense far more stretched out than Miles did because of it. You know damn well they would have scored more than twice under him vs what Miles did.

This was a frustrating loss because UCLA was very much a winnable game, but let's not let our initial disappointment cloud our judgement. This was not a blow out game like ASU. It was a game where we caught a whole lot of bad breaks and still came back and made a game of it. That is not the same as what they would have done in prior years. I'm tired of losing games we should win as well, but you have to take a bigger picture look at why and what can be done to fix it. Throwing out everyone may not be the best answer.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ouch! Mora's a doooshbag and a wanna be?

I think you need to inebriate yourself sir. :suds:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch! Mora's a doooshbag and a wanna be?

I think you need to inebriate yourself sir. :suds:

IB I lost all respect for Mora during Ty's tenure here, ( no I'm not a Ty fan) put coming out public and campaigning for the job while the current staff was "trying" to fix the program, to me in coaching that's a huge no no.....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IB I lost all respect for Mora during Ty's tenure here, ( no I'm not a Ty fan) put coming out public and campaigning for the job while the current staff was "trying" to fix the program, to me in coaching that's a huge no no.....

I don't blame you for having your own views of him. I think we know your take on whether or not they should offer it to him now. No one can deny he has so far proven to be a better college HC than he was in the pros, but can he build and maintain a program over a long period of time? No one knows. All they can say is he took Neuheisels kids and won the south in his first year. Impressive turn around, but can he sustain it?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, can't say I agree with any of this.

Sark preaches not getting too high and not getting too low. He doesn't want his kids 'jacked up' before a game. He wants them to be playing in the same way they practice.

They ran that same screen pass just before the play that ASJ fumbled and it went for like 2-3 yards. The screens in general are part of the running game. They are meant to make the LB's play out wide to give more holes for the running game. When they produce explosive plays they are a bonus, not the target of calling them. They ended up going away from them because they were behind. A running team is built off having a lead or playing from an even point, not playing from a 14+ point deficit. Sankey ran well all day, but they HAD to go to the passing game to try and get back in it. The screens HAD to go away. Pure and simple.

The ASJ 'catch' probably shouldn't have been ruled a catch. He didn't even complete a step with the ball before it was knocked loose. He hadn't even had time to get it up high before it was hit. As frustrating as it was, I'm not sure I would say dump a kid over it.

Price played as good, if not better than he did in the Stanford game. He rallied the kids and mounted a comeback that would have gone down in history had it been completed. His injury sealed that loss. No one can be frustrated or upset at him AT ALL for that loss. PERIOD. And I've been deeply critical of him myself so this isn't a homer assessment.

As for Sark, as I already said in another post the part of this game on his head is the penalties. Both fumbles were unfortunate, but not a coaching problem. ASJ's should have been ruled a non catch and Sankey is normally very very good at ball control. Shit happens. That they came back to within 3 also has to be credited to the coaches as well as giving them grief for the hole they were in. Had KP stayed in they just might have won that game despite all the issues. Price was throwing down field very well and had that defense far more stretched out than Miles did because of it. You know damn well they would have scored more than twice under him vs what Miles did.

This was a frustrating loss because UCLA was very much a winnable game, but let's not let our initial disappointment cloud our judgement. This was not a blow out game like ASU. It was a game where we caught a whole lot of bad breaks and still came back and made a game of it. That is not the same as what they would have done in prior years. I'm tired of losing games we should win as well, but you have to take a bigger picture look at why and what can be done to fix it. Throwing out everyone may not be the best answer.

Totally fine Wiz you disagree with what I said, not everyone is gonna feel the same, but a couple things I want to counter off your comments:

Being down by 14 doesn't mean you go away from your gameplan, it was still very early, the running game and the screens could have been still used for the simple fact of the uptempo offense you run, you keep them guessing, my point is I don't care if your not ripping off big yards you don't abandon what you have success with.

Price, again to me I question his leadership. Yes were not there on the sidelines or the lockerroom so we can't hear what is said, my assumption is based on his expressions and the way he acts on the field. And for the comparison that he wont of got hurt they could've or shoudld've won, I don't think we can think that. Myles played well for a young guy, yes two picks, forced them, and to me that's understandable since they were down with the clock clicking down....

It was tough loss, and the turn overs, well honestly that was some outstanding play by the UCLA defense, great hits. As a fan you reach a certain point of "where is this going?" Sure there is youth still learning, but my questions are on the coaching staff and why not adjust your play calling to the level your player are at, and the other thing is the flat out lack of discipline by these players and the flags. Again there young understood, but there is no excuse for a young team not to have discipline in any sport....

PS: And as to Sark wanting to come out on a "level" feelings as they practice, I don't know if thats proven to have worked to this point, might be time to light the fire under there butts and let them feel what Urgency actually means.....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally fine Wiz you disagree with what I said, not everyone is gonna feel the same, but a couple things I want to counter off your comments:

Being down by 14 doesn't mean you go away from your gameplan, it was still very early, the running game and the screens could have been still used for the simple fact of the uptempo offense you run, you keep them guessing, my point is I don't care if your not ripping off big yards you don't abandon what you have success with.

Price, again to me I question his leadership. Yes were not there on the sidelines or the lockerroom so we can't hear what is said, my assumption is based on his expressions and the way he acts on the field. And for the comparison that he wont of got hurt they could've or shoudld've won, I don't think we can think that. Myles played well for a young guy, yes two picks, forced them, and to me that's understandable since they were down with the clock clicking down....

It was tough loss, and the turn overs, well honestly that was some outstanding play by the UCLA defense, great hits. As a fan you reach a certain point of "where is this going?" Sure there is youth still learning, but my questions are on the coaching staff and why not adjust your play calling to the level your player are at, and the other thing is the flat out lack of discipline by these players and the flags. Again there young understood, but there is no excuse for a young team not to have discipline in any sport....

PS: And as to Sark wanting to come out on a "level" feelings as they practice, I don't know if thats proven to have worked to this point, might be time to light the fire under there butts and let them feel what Urgency actually means.....
Feel free to always counter my points. We all have opinions and mine aren't necessarily more right than anyone elses. :suds:

They didn't abandon the run. Sankey ended up with like 91 yards? But they did switch from their normal run-screen-short crossing routes-short out routes speed offense to playing a lot more down field passing. so they still ran it, but didn't do as much screens to spread the field and instead did more stretching the field to get more yards. Every run team that gets behind does it. Hell the Seahawks have frustrated us with that stuff too. The point is it worked as going that route did get us back in the game. I would only argue that they needed to keep running it if what they were doing was failing and that wasn't the case. They ended up with 402 total yards with most of that coming from Price's offense in the first half. They didn't run a lot in the second half which is when they didn't have as much time. It was nice to see them trust miles enough to throw it, but they had no real choice. They had a heck of a hole to dig out of.

Of course you can question if your team could have won with Price vs Miles. I really liked what I saw out of Cyler, but if you think for a moment that every play was called the same as it would have with Price in there then you didn't watch that first half. Not only were they calling more down field stuff, but price was dialed in on it and hitting them. Don't forget they had at least one of his long completed passes called back. Price had 181 yards on 10 passes. 18y average per pass! Miles ended up with 149 on 15 or 10y/pass. That offense was moving at will in the first half and only didn't score more because of turnovers and penalties. Miles managed two scores in the entire second half and one was gifted on the opening KO of the second half on that turnover. Yes, I completely believe they score more with Price in than Miles in that second half and I have absolutely no doubts about that.

As for the blame on the coaching staff I agree that you give credit to UCLA's defense and that's why this isn't quite as much on the coaching staff as many of their prior road losses have been. The penalties are where you can blame them, but all of the other stuff that didn't go their way really isn't on the coaching IMO. It wasn't because of youth either. Most of the kids that are starters on this team are Juniors not freshmen. Yes, they will be even more seasoned next year, but they have all been around long enough to not keep making the same stupid penalties.

One last thing on those penalties though. How many of them were on PI's where the WR would have caught the ball if not for that PI? Often in college those end up saving you yards instead of costing you as it is just a 15y penalty instead of a spot foul. They aren't always the wrong thing to do.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last thing on those penalties though. How many of them were on PI's where the WR would have caught the ball if not for that PI? Often in college those end up saving you yards instead of costing you as it is just a 15y penalty instead of a spot foul. They aren't always the wrong thing to do.

So let me see if I'm understanding this comment, your say its ok for them to get the PI instead of the WR possibly making the catch and a play?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me see if I'm understanding this comment, your say its ok for them to get the PI instead of the WR possibly making the catch and a play?

If there is a pass going 16 or more yards down field and you were beat anyway then yes at times it is. While there are no guarantees the receiver would catch it, it is better to take the 15y than to let them have a long pass that might go all the way if you don't have help over the top. In the pros it is NEVER the right choice to PI unless you really think they are going to score on it otherwise because it is a spot foul. In college it is the right thing to do more often. Same goes for high school.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly you guys should be hoping for a apple cup loss.

I don't hit women and kids. But if you say some dumb shit like that again, I'll be making an exception.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a pass going 16 or more yards down field and you were beat anyway then yes at times it is. While there are no guarantees the receiver would catch it, it is better to take the 15y than to let them have a long pass that might go all the way if you don't have help over the top. In the pros it is NEVER the right choice to PI unless you really think they are going to score on it otherwise because it is a spot foul. In college it is the right thing to do more often. Same goes for high school.

I don't see it that way Wiz, I wouldn't tell a player that is ok for the simple fact you recruit kids with speed to play defense to combat the speed on the offensive side of the ball, your only setting that kid up for failure if he heads to the NFL....