• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2015 NBA Draft/Free Agency Thread

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't believe the hype...

From Chad Ford's Jan. 2003 column:

But what really excites them is his mature low-post play. "More than Nowitzki, Gasol or even Divac, Darko has a nasty streak in him that will help him succeed in the post," a league executive said. "A lot of the Europeans are really threes in the pros. He'll be a true low-post player. His coach is doing us a huge favor by forcing him to develop those skills now. He already has moves that remind me of (Hakeem) Olajuwon in the post. Once we get a hold of him, the sky's the limit."

Ford: Darko was just phenomenal. It couldn't have been more perfect in a certain way. At some point the coaches got involved and asked to see particular things. And Darko couldn't miss and was aggressive and rose to the moment with the players watching. I was sitting next to (Dumars). He's not expressive, he plays everything close to the vest. But Darko was just so impressive. It was literally the best workout I've ever seen. I've seen hundreds and it was the best. When you have a 7-1 kid, who is 17 years old, doing the things he was doing, it was a "wow" moment, especially for a team that needed a big man. There was just a buzz afterward.

Tony Ronzone (Pistons executive, 2001-10): Our guys were like, "Oh my God, look at this guy." One dribble from the foul line, dunk. Lefty hook. Quick feet. He had great lateral quickness for a big. He had spin moves. It was unbelievable. He was a freak athlete at 17. He runs like a deer. He jumps. You were saying "wow." You could check off everything on the list.

The late, great Pistons scout Will Robinson after watching Darko's infamous workout sessions with Detroit:

"He’s going to own the game. Own the game. We’re going to have to build a new arena. The only thing that could destroy a kid like that is a woman."

And then this from Robinson, from the June 23, 2003 issue of ESPN the Magazine:

"Darko reminds me of a young Wilt Chamberlain. Wilt used to do a little of everything, and I haven’t seen a big man with so much skill since Wilt."

Pistons trainer Arnie Kander in the same article:

"You can’t teach Darko’s lateral quickness or explosiveness. He needs to get a bit stronger, but not too strong, because that quickness gives him a bigger advantage in the post than more strength ever will."

Darko had so much potential that Marc Stein asked NBA executives whether he should be drafted over LeBron James. No one said yes, but they did agree that Darko was good enough to be No. 2:

"The gap that once existed with international players is gone, and with the position that (Milicic) plays, he's right in line to take a team that's not on the map and put it there," Eastern Conference GM No. 2 said.

[...] I have Darko as a clear-cut No. 2," West exec No. 2 said.

Chad Ford's post-draft analysis written after the 2003 draft:

Darko is really one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots the NBA 3 and plays with his back to the basket, so you can slot him in at the 3, 4 or 5 positions. OK, a few other guys can do that too; what sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post. You have to love a guy who has the footwork to spin by an opponent but still prefers to lower a shoulder and bang. Fact is, Milicic plays in attack-mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back. While he won't be asked to carry the Pistons, he's capable of doing this earlier than you think.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

If this rumor is true, would you be for or against?

Lance had a horrific year.

But, I think he would rebound with a change of scenery.

My only fear would be the lure of Tinseltown might get him into trouble.

Still, I'd do it for the additional pick.

The Hornets are dangling the #8 pick for anyone that will take Lance Stephenson's dead weight contract off of their hands. A team such as Orlando with some cap space could decide to take its chances with Lance, who has the talent to justify the contract. It's just a matter of inspiring him to stay focused.

Looks like Stephenson has 2 years left on his contract at approx. $9 million per. I am a believer in guys responding positively to a change of scenery and a more stable organization (it's why I'm one of very few Lakers fans who doesn't hate the idea of getting Rondo).

I would be opposed to dealing the #2 for him though, even if the Lakers got the #8 pick back. I'd prefer something like maybe the #27 or #34 plus Jordan Hill (who is also due to make $9 million) and/or Swaggy P (due to make about $4.5 million I believe). He has definitely shown that he has the talent to be a very good player.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Stephenson has 2 years left on his contract at approx. $9 million per. I am a believer in guys responding positively to a change of scenery and a more stable organization (it's why I'm one of very few Lakers fans who doesn't hate the idea of getting Rondo).

I would be opposed to dealing the #2 for him though, even if the Lakers got the #8 pick back. I'd prefer something like maybe the #27 or #34 plus Jordan Hill (who is also due to make $9 million) and/or Swaggy P (due to make about $4.5 million I believe). He has definitely shown that he has the talent to be a very good player.

Oh, no doubt.

The way I understand it, they are giving away their pick just to rid themselves of Lance.

So, the Lakers would have Lance and the #2, #9 and #27 in that scenario..

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, no doubt.

The way I understand it, they are giving away their pick just to rid themselves of Lance.

So, the Lakers would have Lance and the #2, #9 and #27 in that scenario..

Then, if there is any truth to it, they should absolutely do that. Even if he didn't pan out, it would be worth it just to get a 2nd top 10 pick.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then, if there is any truth to it, they should absolutely do that. Even if he didn't pan out, it would be worth it just to get a 2nd top 10 pick.

Yeah..IF...lol

This little ditty perfectly captures my thoughts on all the draft/free agency rumors.

Curious about the draft plans of the teams with the second, third and fourth picks -- the Lakers, Sixers and Knicks? There are a lot of rumors out there, but I think I've made sense of them. Here's a quick summary:

Latvian big man Kristaps Porzingis is in play for for the Sixers with the third pick, and is giving the Lakers something to ponder with the second pick, and he's also in the mixfor the Knicks, who would be doing backflips in their war room if they got D'Angelo Russell, which they probably won't because he's the guy Philadelphia is targeting, and he may also have a promise that the Lakers will draft him, though if the Lakers go with a guard, they're still considering Emmanuel Mudiay, who has some voices high on himin the Knicks' front office, and is also liked by the Sixers, who wouldn't let Jahlil Okafor drop if he was available to them, unless they do, in which case the Knicks may look elsewhere because they are big Justise Winslow fans, and are looking strongly at Willie Cauley-Stein, and are enamored with Trey Lyles, although the consensus is they are actively trying to trade their fourth pick, but the consensus is they ultimately won't, but if they do they could trade down for Frank Kaminsky, but anyway the Sixers won't get a chance at Okafor because the Lakers are locked in on him.

Hope that cleared things up!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah..IF...lol

This little ditty perfectly captures my thoughts on all the draft/free agency rumors.

Curious about the draft plans of the teams with the second, third and fourth picks -- the Lakers, Sixers and Knicks? There are a lot of rumors out there, but I think I've made sense of them. Here's a quick summary:

Latvian big man Kristaps Porzingis is in play for for the Sixers with the third pick, and is giving the Lakers something to ponder with the second pick, and he's also in the mixfor the Knicks, who would be doing backflips in their war room if they got D'Angelo Russell, which they probably won't because he's the guy Philadelphia is targeting, and he may also have a promise that the Lakers will draft him, though if the Lakers go with a guard, they're still considering Emmanuel Mudiay, who has some voices high on himin the Knicks' front office, and is also liked by the Sixers, who wouldn't let Jahlil Okafor drop if he was available to them, unless they do, in which case the Knicks may look elsewhere because they are big Justise Winslow fans, and are looking strongly at Willie Cauley-Stein, and are enamored with Trey Lyles, although the consensus is they are actively trying to trade their fourth pick, but the consensus is they ultimately won't, but if they do they could trade down for Frank Kaminsky, but anyway the Sixers won't get a chance at Okafor because the Lakers are locked in on him.

Hope that cleared things up!

That about sums it up. :lol:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought there was some rumors of Lance to the Heat for McRoberts last year before he got injured?

I wouldn't mind Wade/Lance at the 2.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought there was some rumors of Lance to the Heat for McRoberts last year before he got injured?

I wouldn't mind Wade/Lance at the 2.

We're going to differ here, Turnup. I don't want Lance anywhere near the Heat unless it's as a visitor on the other team.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Malone officially the Nuggets coach

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you believe this. When the salary cap jumps he could earn up to $190 mil over 5 years! Crazy.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's interesting and with Woj reporting it, very likely legit. Things went pretty sideways with the Bulls this season and I don't think they could have handled the Thibs situation any worse than they did.

Butler may just want to get the hell out. If you're the Bulls, do you match on a guy who has no interest in playing for you? Start trying to work a sign and trade? Just let him walk? :noidea:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's interesting and with Woj reporting it, very likely legit. Things went pretty sideways with the Bulls this season and I don't think they could have handled the Thibs situation any worse than they did.

Butler may just want to get the hell out. If you're the Bulls, do you match on a guy who has no interest in playing for you? Start trying to work a sign and trade? Just let him walk? :noidea:

Sounds like Rose is having issues coping with not being the Alpha.

But, the only way Butler can shake loose is if he goes the Monroe route, take the qualifying offer or get a fronloaded deal like Lin and Asik did.

If say, the Lakers gave him a 3 year/40mil deal with 20 mil in the first Season and a opt-out after that, would the Bulls match?

Jimmy Butler Can't Sign Deal With 2017 Opt-Out If Bulls Give Him Max Qualifying Offer

Jimmy Butler will be a restricted free agent this offseason and a report from Adrian Wojnarowski indicated he has interest in signing a short-term offer sheet with a rival team to become a free agent again in 2017.

If the Chicago Bulls tender Butler the normal qualifying offer, then an offer sheet must be for more than one season excluding options. Butler would be able to sign the three-year deal that includes a player option for the third season to become an unrestricted free agent in 2017 as reported.

But the Bulls can tender both the qualifying offer as well as the maximum qualifying offer, which means any offer sheet Butler signs with a rival team must be for more than two seasons excluding options. Butler could not become a free agent until 2018 at the earliest under that scenario.

The maximum qualifying offer covers five seasons at a full max.

If Butler does want to become an unrestricted free agent before 2018 and the Bulls give him the maximum qualifying offer, he would have to take the regular qualifying offer, giving up long-term security, then become an unrestricted free agent in 2016.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Chicago matches any offer sheet Butler signs. Front loaded or poison pill contracts don't really matter with the upcoming salary cap increases. As much as I would love for him to sign with the Lakers, I think the only realistic way for that to happen, sooner than later, would be for Butler to take the qualifying offer for next season and then become a UFA (see Monroe). One more season in Chicago, then sign a big contract with the Lakers next summer. The Lakers shouldn't offer him contract this summer because the Bulls will match it and then the Lakers risk missing out on others with all that money tied up.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uhh...not sure. If he really does want to be in Chitown, I say the only thing you can do is let him go, but the only way is getting something in return so it doesnt look like a total flop.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per CBS Sports: Nuggets looking to trade Ty Lawson for #6 draft pick

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhh...not sure. If he really does want to be in Chitown, I say the only thing you can do is let him go, but the only way is getting something in return so it doesnt look like a total flop.

Yeah. It's hard to say at this point. The article says he's "intrigued" by playing for the Lakers. That doesn't really mean a whole lot. Hell, I'm sure on some level, just about every top player in the league is "intrigued" about the possibility of playing for the Lakers. There's a lot to be said about playing for a storied organization and returning them to the top of the league.

But "intrigued by" doesn't necessarily mean "wants to" or "will."

If the Bulls are smart, they will sit down with Butler and try to find out how badly he wants to remain in Chicago. If he says, I want out, one way or the other, then they should start working on sign and trade possibilities.

I agree with rule though, I think the Bulls are likely to match anything put out there.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors are going to move David Lee this off-season. He was the ultimate team player for us this season.

He's got a 15M expiring deal and still some gas left in the tank. He's not good at all defensively, but I think given minutes he can easily average 15 and 8.

What's the consensus from non-warrior fans on his value? Do Warriors have to throw in pieces to trade him or could they actually get value from a trade?