• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time For Belichick to Vacate the GM Seat??

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add fuel to the fire. People do what they are comfortable with.

Just another possible illustration of just how much TB contributed to this tandems success.

Would the Pats have had such success with any other QB? TB took a lot of home town discounts and lack of offensive fire power until he couldn't take it any longer.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) BB did not want to draft Brady. He had Bledsoe.
2) '01, '03, '04 TB12 @ QB
3) '14, ''16, '19 TB12 @ QB
4) Sketchy opinion here. No one can say what would have happened if any other team had drafted him. Complete unknown.

If BB hadn't drafted TB12, We all might still be looking for just a shot of making the AFCG and not nine in a row, let alone 9 SB appearances.
Which is it? BB doesn't listen to anyone or BB drafted TB when "he didn't want to"?

BB chose to draft him when he had a solid starter and (AND) a highly regarded prospect in Michael Bishop. Then he kept him on the team as a fourth QB, unheard of for BB who looks to squeeze some contribution from everyone on the team. Then it was BB who kept Bledsoe on the bench in '01. They turned a 6th round comp pick into a mid-first round selection in two years.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add fuel to the fire. People do what they are comfortable with.

Just another possible illustration of just how much TB contributed to this tandems success.

Would the Pats have had such success with any other QB? TB took a lot of home town discounts and lack of offensive fire power until he couldn't take it any longer.
No question BB does not win 6 without Brady. But would he have won 1? My guess is a few lousy teams/good draft positions might have resulted in a good enough QB for one or two. But this is the modern NFL where the team with the BEST QB has exponential odds to win each year.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The was it BB or TB argument is ridiculous. They both complimented each other. It was the perfect storm. With lots of turbulence. We can second guess and speculate all day, but that's all it is.

Would NE have had the same success if either of them were missing? Probably not.

My pesonal opinion, for what it's worth is BB should've given Brady pretty much anything he asked for. Based solely on what Tom did for NE.

BB misplayed that one.

Yes, I would've sacraficed a handful of down years to keep Tom in NE until he retired.

I am of the thinking BB should give up his GM duties. Being 71 it can't be easy running on all cylinders. Focus on coaching and let a GM focus on players with BB given some of the vote.
I agree overall but why does TB be allowed to play out his days but BB can't be allowed the same courtesy?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) BB did not want to draft Brady. He had Bledsoe.
But he did. At 199, not 240 or UDFA. And he kept him as a 4th string QB on the active 53. How many teams have ever carried 4 QB's?
2) '01, '03, '04 TB12 @ QB
'01. FG 20-17. Wow, Brady really blew the Rams out.
'03, FG. 32-29. Another Brady domination.
'04, Defense prevented Eagles from scoring on the last possession. 24-21. Another blow out.
3) '14, ''16, '19 TB12 @ QB
'14, Malcolm Butler show for the 4th quarter and some epic stare down by BB for not burning TO's when the rest of the world would have.
'16, 28-3. Brady did not carry the team across the goal line, the entire team refused to quit.
'18, 3-3 starting the 4th quarter. That was one of the best DEFENSIVE games I've ever watched.
4) Sketchy opinion here. No one can say what would have happened if any other team had drafted him. Complete unknown.
Yeah...and? If Bill doesn't draft him he goes to a team with another established QB and then gets cut, or rides the bench for a couple years and then gets cut and rides off into obscurity. If Bledsoe doesn't go down, Brady might never start. (If Bledsoe doesn't play well against the Steelers, there's no win in '01). If BB doesn't have a great defense to keep Brady in the game every year, Brady wins, but doesn't win everything year after year after year. No Greatness.
If BB hadn't drafted TB12, We all might still be looking for just a shot of making the AFCG and not nine in a row, let alone 9 SB appearances.
Bledsoe would have gone to the HOF.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah 01 03 04 TB was the QB but coaching and defense won those games
Rams 13-3 was a huge defensive game. Jason McCourty coming from downtown and knocking the ball out of Cooks hands may have won that game.
Seahawks was coaching and Butler. not calling TO's and then the hard count to draw an offsides. Genius level coaching.
28-3 was a complete team effort to make that comeback. The Edelman catch? That was not a TB Greatness throw. James White. C'mon.

Not, repeat NOT discounting the greatest QB ever. But he would not have been if it were not for the situation he got drafted into and the culture he was given the opportunity to create and mold.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My pesonal opinion, for what it's worth is BB should've given Brady pretty much anything he asked for.
He did. He asked to leave.

He asked for a two year contract and got a two year $70 million contract with the 2nd year his option and a no trade clause AND a no tag clause.
Then he cherry picked a perfect situation. If that situation hadn't been there he had at least one more year to find it.
He was leaving.
But only for a pristine situation.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did. He asked to leave.

He asked for a two year contract and got a two year $70 million contract with the 2nd year his option and a no trade clause AND a no tag clause.
Then he cherry picked a perfect situation. If that situation hadn't been there he had at least one more year to find it.
He was leaving.
But only for a pristine situation.
I don't believe the money was the same?

Also the bridge had already been burned by the lack of adding offensive horsepower combined with a 20 year relationship.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree overall but why does TB be allowed to play out his days but BB can't be allowed the same courtesy?
It's apples and oranges.
One is a player.
One is a coach/GM.

One just needs to take care of the ball while the other is trying to deal with a multitude of things.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe the money was the same?

Also the bridge had already been burned by the lack of adding offensive horsepower combined with a 20 year relationship.
What money?

Adding offensive fire power? Like Sanu, Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown?
With all the cap space spent for the next few years in order to pay the FA mercenaries from the second half run of the dynasty?

And lets not forget he never even opened the last offer Bill made for him.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What money?

Adding offensive fire power? Like Sanu, Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown?
With all the cap space spent for the next few years in order to pay the FA mercenaries from the second half run of the dynasty?

And lets not forget he never even opened the last offer Bill made for him.

What was he offered when he decided to walk? I believe he was already tired of the way BB does business. BB was the reason Brady left.

Sorry if you consider those three wastes of roster space as adding fire power. Just proving the point BB is clueless when it comes to WR talent and judge of character.

Thanks, that kind of strengthens my opinion on BB needs to give up the GM duties. Man I had almost blacked those out of my memory.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bledsoe doesn't go down, Brady might never start.
I agree with most of your post but I've heard rumors that BB was biding his time looking for the right circumstance to make the switch to Brady. BB learned in Cleveland you can't do whatever you want until "that right" is earned and Bill knew he hadn't earned it. Until then he needed to measure the thing he hates - perception. In this case the perception was DB was a HOF caliber QB and you don't screw with that.

I believe the rumor. I really liked DB but got tired of him failing in his attempts to play hero. He valued his arm to much and never learned other valuable skills beneficial to the QB position. If I saw it there's no question BB did.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We keep getting off the subject.

I have zero issue with BB staying as HC.

I would like to see someone take the GM load off his back and have a different approach to the draft and free agency selection.
We????
You have a turd in your pocket?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots QB Coach Dick Rehbein demanded that Bill Belichick draft Tom Brady or he was done. Bobby Grier had to calm him down after BB skipped Brady in the 5th Round. Greer met with BB and the rest is history. AND Bill Belichick has always taken all the credit for drafting Tom Brady.

Sadly, Dick Rehbein died on August 6, 2001. Had he survived, he might well be on the sideline as a HC in the NFL.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(If Bledsoe doesn't play well against the Steelers, there's no win in '01).

Troy Brown says hello. He would've gone in at QB and won the game.

I know Bledsoe had that TD drive but he fucking sucked the rest of the game after that. He caught the Steelers off guard and then they immediately tightened up. There was one play where he was about to get sacked per usual and he flipped the ball backwards over his head. Something Brady never would've done. Could've lost the game for us but the football gods had different plans. Sorry but I'm still bitter about "Mr. Heroics" Bledsoe. Fuck that guy.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was he offered when he decided to walk? I believe he was already tired of the way BB does business. BB was the reason Brady left.
He was on the second year of a 2 year $70 mil contract, and then he never opened the increase.
You believe.
There were many factors. Bills way of doing business got Brady in a position to win 6 Super Bowls, lose two Super Bowls and almost make it to a few more. Without that, he's not the primadonna that gets to decide which of the other 31 teams gets to be blessed with his presence.
Sorry if you consider those three wastes of roster space as adding fire power. Just proving the point BB is clueless when it comes to WR talent and judge of character.
They were the receivers Brady wanted...
Thanks, that kind of strengthens my opinion on BB needs to give up the GM duties. Man I had almost blacked those out of my memory.
Obviously clouded memories.