• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things could be worse?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bit of an ironic observation:The Giants have 2 of the top starters in the NL in terms of fWAR in Logan Webb (2.4 fWAR) and Alex Cobb (2.1 fWAR).However, the rotation, as a whole, has been worth 5.3 fWAR, which ranks as 10th in the NL.

It is a product of underperformance from the non-Cobb/Webb innings and, to an extent, a lack of total innings pitched. They are 14th in the NL with 408.1 innings from the rotation. Also, adding that this does not account for the bulk innings roles from Junis, Beck, etc.
Need one more starter to go with those two

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bit of an ironic observation:The Giants have 2 of the top starters in the NL in terms of fWAR in Logan Webb (2.4 fWAR) and Alex Cobb (2.1 fWAR).However, the rotation, as a whole, has been worth 5.3 fWAR, which ranks as 10th in the NL.

It is a product of underperformance from the non-Cobb/Webb innings and, to an extent, a lack of total innings pitched. They are 14th in the NL with 408.1 innings from the rotation. Also, adding that this does not account for the bulk innings roles from Junis, Beck, etc.
The existence of bulk pitchers bastardizes that stat, unfortunately. The very concept of a “starting pitcher” is becoming (it isn’t there yet) obsolete.

Maybe a new stat should be tracked looking at pitchers who record 9+ outs in a game (and track this the same way “starters” are currently tracked)? But even this omits bed-shits from the raw, so the numbers will be skewed.

Any team that utilizes openers have their starting stats almost worthless when looking at league leader boards.

The game it is a changin’

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't ask me how I know, but help is Ohtani the way...
Not even funny to joke about that since he's going to the Dodgers. And I meant for this year....need a guy like Giolito at the deadline but so does everyone else. Not sure a rookie like Harrison is enough to rely on if we want to make noise in the playoffs.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The existence of bulk pitchers bastardizes that stat, unfortunately. The very concept of a “starting pitcher” is becoming (it isn’t there yet) obsolete.

Maybe a new stat should be tracked looking at pitchers who record 9+ outs in a game (and track this the same way “starters” are currently tracked)? But even this omits bed-shits from the raw, so the numbers will be skewed.

Any team that utilizes openers have their starting stats almost worthless when looking at league leader boards.

The game it is a changin’
Are you willing to trade Bart, Harrison and Arias for Ohtani as a rental?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you willing to trade Bart, Harrison and Arias for Ohtani as a rental?
Are you asking yourself that?

Bart for sure can go of coure. But no I don't want to give up Harrison and Arias for 2 months of Ohtani unless they for sure knew he wanted to come play here. Pretty sure the Dodgers are a lock.

I wonder how much more than Bart we'd need to get Giolito as a rental?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 Trade Candidates: Top 50 Deadline Trade Candidates: Early July Edition

Here is the list of starting pitchers who made this list:
Lucas Giolito
Jordan Montgomery
Jack Flaherty
Marcus Stroman
Shane Bieber
Michael Lorenzen
Eduardo Rodriguez
Lance Lynn
Paul Blackburn
Aaron Civale
James Paxton
Kyle Hendricks
Blake Snell
Rich Hill
Max Scherzer

Not all of these guys are going to get traded and quite a few wouldn't be worth giving up more than a C prospect or two (especially if the contract is picked up by the Giants)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 Trade Candidates: Top 50 Deadline Trade Candidates: Early July Edition

Here is the list of starting pitchers who made this list:
Lucas Giolito
Jordan Montgomery
Jack Flaherty
Marcus Stroman
Shane Bieber
Michael Lorenzen
Eduardo Rodriguez
Lance Lynn
Paul Blackburn
Aaron Civale
James Paxton
Kyle Hendricks
Blake Snell
Rich Hill
Max Scherzer

Not all of these guys are going to get traded and quite a few wouldn't be worth giving up more than a C prospect or two (especially if the contract is picked up by the Giants)
I focus on Giolito because he's good enough as a #3, and more affordable than say Stroman or Bieber. Lynn is washed, probably could have him for very little but don't want him. Hill is washed. Scherzer isn't going anywhere.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I focus on Giolito because he's good enough as a #3, and more affordable than say Stroman or Bieber. Lynn is washed, probably could have him for very little but don't want him. Hill is washed. Scherzer isn't going anywhere.
I think Scherzer said he was willing to waive his no trade clause, which is going to make some waves in the trade rumors circle but I think you are right. He'll likely stay put in New York. The owner doesn't seem willing to dismantle what he's built. On that note, I doubt Snell gets shipped by the Padres either.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you asking yourself that?

Bart for sure can go of coure. But no I don't want to give up Harrison and Arias for 2 months of Ohtani unless they for sure knew he wanted to come play here. Pretty sure the Dodgers are a lock.

I wonder how much more than Bart we'd need to get Giolito as a rental?
I think it would require a similar package to pull Ohtani from the Angels. They don’t want to be on the books for parting with Ohtani by choice. They would rather lose him via FA than actively trade him (Runaway train scenario).

And for the record, there is no way in hell I would give that package for 3 months of Ohtani. Bart has value, but is now worthless to the Giants, and likely wouldn’t pull anything that would actually move the needle on his own.

If the Giants could get someone who has +2 years of control, I might be OK with trading Harrison or Arias (I doubt Arias has appropriate value for a trade yet, though). I don’t have faith that Cobb will be effective past this year, so we need to prepare for that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Scherzer said he was willing to waive his no trade clause, which is going to make some waves in the trade rumors circle but I think you are right. He'll likely stay put in New York. The owner doesn't seem willing to dismantle what he's built. On that note, I doubt Snell gets shipped by the Padres either.
I am not certain I would take Scherzer for free, as is at this point. Too much money, injured, old…. Giving a bag of balls would be an over pay, imho.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynn isn't looking washed today. He just pitched 7 innings of 1 hit, 1 walk ball, with 11 Ks, against the Blue Jays. Still don't think it would be a good gamble to grab him but that is going to get some team to try to grab him before the deadline.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he overall numbers may be below average, but the Giants must like what they are seeing out of Luis Matos' plate discipline:
11.0% BB rate
13.7% K rate
25.8% chase rate
81.3% contact rate

He's not chasing out of the zone too often and when he swings, he makes contact.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he overall numbers may be below average, but the Giants must like what they are seeing out of Luis Matos' plate discipline:
11.0% BB rate
13.7% K rate
25.8% chase rate
81.3% contact rate

He's not chasing out of the zone too often and when he swings, he makes contact.
To me, that seems to suggest his numbers are going to get better.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, that seems to suggest his numbers are going to get better.
That, along with the fact he is only 21 makes me excited for him.

Superior defense
Plate discipline
developing power

He may not be an MVP level player (maybe he will be, but I don’t see that in him), but he could be an occasional all-star level player.

He is a keeper, for sure.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heliot Ramos had a 4-hit day yesterday with 2 homers.In his rehab assignment (5 games with San Jose, 5 with Sacramento), he's now 18-28 with 5 home runs, 1 triple, 7 doubles, and 2 walks.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heliot Ramos had a 4-hit day yesterday with 2 homers.In his rehab assignment (5 games with San Jose, 5 with Sacramento), he's now 18-28 with 5 home runs, 1 triple, 7 doubles, and 2 walks.
Hope he's not a AAAA player

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming out of the break, we've got a 10 game road trip:

3 @ PIT
4 @ CIN
3 @ WAS

I'm thinking they will be relatively healthy (Tyro, Haniger, Brebbia, Jackson excepted).

What is a reasonable trip? I'm thinking 6-4 is the baseline expectation and I'm hoping for 7-3.