• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Wrong Steve Smith Nominated for the HOF

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Pro Football Hall Of Fame site.

QUARTERBACKS
(5) - Randall Cunningham, Rich Gannon, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Phil Simms

RUNNING BACKS
(10) - Tiki Barber, Earnest Byner, Roger Craig, Corey Dillon, Eddie George, Edgerrin James, Lorenzo Neal, Fred Taylor, Herschel Walker (also KR), Ricky Watters

A thin year for QB and running back. None?

WIDE RECEIVERS
(13) - *Isaac Bruce, Donald Driver, Henry Ellard (also PR), Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, *Terrell Owens, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Steve Smith, John Taylor, Hines Ward

Moss, Owens and either Bruce or Holt.

TIGHT END
(4) - Mark Bavaro, Ben Coates, Ferrell Edmunds, Jay Novacek

I like Coates and Bavaro but I think only Coates is legit.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
(21) - Willie Anderson (T), Matt Birk (C), *Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Ruben Brown (G), Ray Donaldson (C), *Alan Faneca (G), Bill Fralic (G/T), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Steve Hutchinson (G), *Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), *Kevin Mawae (C/G), Tom Nalen (C), Nate Newton (G), Bart Oates (C), Jeff Saturday (C), Richmond Webb (T), Steve Wisniewski (G)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
(11) - La’Roi Glover (DT/NT), Leonard Marshall (DE/DT), Keith Millard (DT/NT/DE), Leslie O’Neal (DE), Michael Dean Perry (DT/DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Richard Seymour (DT), Neil Smith (DE), Greg Townsend (DE/NT/LB), Kyle Vanden Bosch (DE), Bryant Young (DT)

Lots of good D and O linemen.

LINEBACKERS
(15) - Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, Seth Joyner, Ray Lewis, Greg Lloyd, Wilber Marshall, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Joey Porter, Darryl Talley, Zach Thomas, Brian Urlacher

Lewis..

DEFENSIVE BACKS
(12) - Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Ronde Barber (CB/S), LeRoy Butler (S), *Brian Dawkins (SS), Rodney Harrison (S), *Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), *John Lynch (S), Dennis Smith (S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

Dawkins, Harrison and Law

KICKERS/PUNTER
(3) - Gary Anderson (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)

SPECIAL TEAMS
(2) - Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Steve Tasker (ST also WR)

COACHES
(12) - *Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil

Coryell.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants Steve Smith is the guy that is eligible and nominated. Showing the picture of Panthers/Ravens Steve Smith is an error, as he won't be eligible for several years. Clearly, Giants Steve Smith won't make the hall, but he is eligible to be nominated and was.

Simple.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thin year for QB and running back. None?

Moss, Owens and either Bruce or Holt.

I like Coates and Bavaro but I think only Coates is legit.

Lots of good D and O linemen.

Lewis..

Dawkins, Harrison and Law

Coryell.

Need to cut that down to 5 players (other than senior and contributor selections).

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duh! This is the Steve Smith that should be getting in the Hall.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants Steve Smith is the guy that is eligible and nominated. Showing the picture of Panthers/Ravens Steve Smith is an error, as he won't be eligible for several years. Clearly, Giants Steve Smith won't make the hall, but he is eligible to be nominated and was.

Simple.
but he has no statistical merit to be there. as was stated, all 12 other WR's listed did what smith did in his career in a couple of seasons.

my thinking is some idiot saw "steve smith" and pulled the trigger too quickly before realizing the gaff. some guy saw a name on a list and got confused. sure, smith is eligible...

they got the wrong smith, made a mistake, and wont own it. its what the nfl does. why havent other "no merit at all" guys ever been nominated before? i cant recall any. they usually are there for a reason.

i never saw my man marv cook on any lists.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funniest thing is some idiots voted for h
The Pro Football Hall Of Fame nominated the right guy.

The NFL posted a picture of the wrong guy.

They are two separate entities.

See how this works?

Just a guess, but I'd bet when he was nominated they were thinking about the other Steve Smith.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Simple.

Giants Steve Smith with a big catch on the winning drive in the 2007 SB

HOF in my heart, and thats all that really matters anyway

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just a guess, but I'd bet when he was nominated they were thinking about the other Steve Smith.

I'm guessing whoever the NFL webmaster is has about as much ability to make reasoned decisions as Goodell did with Zeke.

<waits for it...>

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eggsactly

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quote from Rick Gosselin;

"I knew which Steve Smith was on the ballot. The other one has the 5 year waiting period."

He's one of the 48 making the choice. He would know.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quote from Rick Gosselin;

"I knew which Steve Smith was on the ballot. The other one has the 5 year waiting period."

He's one of the 48 making the choice. He would know.
I'll say this. Not every player gets nominated, NY Giants Steve Smith, doesn't warrant being nominated.
No proof but I'd say someone screwed up snd nominated him thinking he was Steve Smith Jr, and didn't realize Jr. hasn't been away from the game long enough.

It's a error no matter how you look at it or spin it.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Well the folks at the NFL HOF aren't exactly known for making great decisions. TO wasn't a first ballot guy and they still have yet to let Jerry Kramer in. Gonna be pretty laughable if those two don't get in this year.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this. Not every player gets nominated, NY Giants Steve Smith, doesn't warrant being nominated.
No proof but I'd say someone screwed up snd nominated him thinking he was Steve Smith Jr, and didn't realize Jr. hasn't been away from the game long enough.

It's a error no matter how you look at it or spin it.
they did. the nfl never owns up to its mistakes. we know that.

this is about as obvious as it gets.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Well the folks at the NFL HOF aren't exactly known for making great decisions. TO wasn't a first ballot guy and they still have yet to let Jerry Kramer in. Gonna be pretty laughable if those two don't get in this year.
TO not being in is a joke

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Sir Robin Of Camelot

Here's how the wrong Steve Smith was nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame

According to USA Today, this was indeed a mistake, although one of just odd circumstances. Other Steve Smith was actually eligible for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, having played his last season at least five years ago and having made at least one Pro Bowl or All Pro team in his career (2009, natch).

Steve Smith of the Giants was nominated by a fan, according to the Hall. Fierle added that the NFL fan voting site initially featured a photo of the wrong Steve Smith -- the Steve Smith who played for the Carolina Panthers and Baltimore Ravens -- which added to the confusion.
Additionally, the Hall of Fame said that OSS was actually nominated by a fan through a fan voting site on NFL.com that contained, for a time, an erroneous photo of Real Steve Smith on the page with OSS. It's hard enough that we're using acronyms at this point. Poor Other Steve Smith.

So really, it was just a result of everyone being confused and OSS getting the nomination instead of Agent 89. Real Steve Smith stands a pretty good chance of being inducted into the Hall, having made five Pro Bowls and ranking seventh in receiving yards all-time. His personality and high-profile gig after retiring won't hurt him either.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so it was a freakin mistake. the fan voted for the wrong steve smith because of the photo error.