• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Trade for Butler

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's getting to the points where No one knows what's going on with Butler. My gut feeling is that Belichick will keep him for one year and let him go for a compensatory pick if the Saints don't give him the #11 pick.

I just don't think the #32 is value enough for a top 5 CB.

That's me...no one else. If I were the GM, the Saints would NOT get him for that low a pick. If they gave up the #32 AND #43, then I might consider it. But the Saints have said that their first two picks are off the board. If it were me, Butler would be off the board.
I think Butler stays as well. But, if they offered 32 and 43 and a 5th or 6th I'd take it. At the end of the day I hope Butler stays and gets a deal worked out.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Butler signs his tender and NO offers him a contract, NO has to give their own pick, which is 11. That is how I understand it. If MB signs his tender and NO wont offer him, then trades can be worked out. I think in the end if anything happens: MB signs, NE works on trade for maybe a 2nd rd pick. Still don't see NO giving up a first. Also after this off-season, I would not be shocked to see more teams involved if/when he signs.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO has to make him an official offer before he signs anything. The Patriots have the right to match the offer. If they decide not to match then the Saints MUST give NE the #11.

If Butler signs the Tender, then NO can trade for him but the Pats don't have to deal him. They can keep him for the tender salary of $3.91M. The question then is what is Malcolm Butler worth to the NO Saints and to the NE Patriots? He's considered a top 5 CB in the NFL. Since teams now have 2 outside and 1 slot CB on passing plays that would mean that there are 91 CBs in the NFL who are considered not as good. That puts MB in rare space and the Saints will have to pony up to get him and as others have previously stated, once he signs that tender, the wolves will be at the door. The #32 that the Patriots gave the Saints for Cooks will not be anywhere near enough once the other predators smell blood in the water.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Butler signs his tender and NO offers him a contract, NO has to give their own pick, which is 11. That is how I understand it. If MB signs his tender and NO wont offer him, then trades can be worked out. I think in the end if anything happens: MB signs, NE works on trade for maybe a 2nd rd pick. Still don't see NO giving up a first. Also after this off-season, I would not be shocked to see more teams involved if/when he signs.
Yeah you have this a little jumbled...NO can only extend an offer sheet now while he's on the tender. They have until 4/21 to do so. At that point, MB's only options will be to sign the tender or hold out. If/when MB signs the tender, he's immediately contractually bound to the Pats and the offer sheet option is off the table for other teams and leaves a trade as the only option to acquire him.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, I was messing this one up. LOL

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler has until Friday to get offers from any team interested.

Tom Curran said the he believes that ship has sailed. If any team was willing to pony up a contract in excess of $11M a year for 4-5 years with at least $20M guaranteed AND give up their 2017 first round pick, hey would have done it by now. It'll be up to Butler to sign the $3.91M tender and then try to get the Patriots to agree to a trade.

Butler is in a tight corner. The Patriots have basically said that the #32 is not near enough for Butler and the Saints have said they won't give up the #11 or the #43. Would the Pats take the #32 and the #65? That would be a first and third for MB.

There are many rumors flying and most are pretty sketchy. One that was really interesting was that Cleveland would give up #12, #33 this year and two second rounders next year for JG and MB. I can't see BB taking that.
I could be wrong, but that would be taking two second rounders next year for Butler when the Saints might give up a 1 and 3 this year..........

I think the fur will start to fly on draft night.........."Hi, Bill? This is Bill.............."

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I feel Butler being here another year is a forgone conclusion, and I am happy with this. As it stands now I feel with the off season acquisitions the Pats are poised for another SB run and Butler plays a solid role in that. Seeing as Gilmore is inked to deal it begs the question is it better to deal Butler for picks or have him on hand for another SB run? I choose the latter.

I feel some of the players we signed are going to have a big impact. Personally I feel Guy and Ealy will be the surprises to this defense, I feel we will get big contributions from these two. They will shore up the D Line nicely and seeing as Branch re-signed I like where the defense is right now.

So we are out a pick for Cooks if he pans out and helps secure another ring it's worth the deal. And how often have we seen BB trade out of round one on deep drafts? Cooks and Allen will do well enough to help secure another ring.

I think we are fine right were we are.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I feel Butler being here another year is a forgone conclusion, and I am happy with this. As it stands now I feel with the off season acquisitions the Pats are poised for another SB run and Butler plays a solid role in that. Seeing as Gilmore is inked to deal it begs the question is it better to deal Butler for picks or have him on hand for another SB run? I choose the latter.

I feel some of the players we signed are going to have a big impact. Personally I feel Guy and Ealy will be the surprises to this defense, I feel we will get big contributions from these two. They will shore up the D Line nicely and seeing as Branch re-signed I like where the defense is right now.

So we are out a pick for Cooks if he pans out and helps secure another ring it's worth the deal. And how often have we seen BB trade out of round one on deep drafts? Cooks and Allen will do well enough to help secure another ring.

I think we are fine right were we are.
I also like where they are at but would love to see a pass rushung LB or DE added as well as getting a couple late Oline prospects late in tge draft. Build for the future and just hope one pans out under Scar.
But very very happy where they're at right now.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you trade Butler for a 2nd rd pick and sign Jason McCourty, I see that a pretty big win for NE. I would rather get a 2nd rd pick, which could be pretty high, than a comp pick (if we can get one). BB traded Collins for a 3rd rd pick because he knew that was it. Doubt he is holding out for 1st if he knows it's not there. Butler does not want to be here anymore, it's pretty obvious. This draft can help the DE/LB/RB for a long time if we can move back into the 2nd rd. We got our first rd pick in Cooks. Nothing in terms of trades can happen until MB signs. There is no way in hell BB is engaging in trade talks till he does. So it's up to MB now....sign and see what happens..he's not getting out of NE until he does.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Saints, Patriots trade involving Butler appears unlikely
By Phil Perry April 24, 2017 10:16 AM

Malcolm Butler did his part to help a trade along last week when he signed his $3.91 million tender with the Patriots. But there's some work ahead for both the Saints and the Patriots if they're going to agree to terms on a deal that will send the 27-year-old corner to New Orleans.

According to both Peter King of TheMMQB.com and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, a trade involving Butler and the Saints seems unlikely.

Per King, the Saints are leaning toward keeping their first three picks in this year's draft: No. 11, 32 and 42. Because they believe this year's draft class is loaded with immediate contributors, trading one or more picks for Butler and then paying Butler "is less attractive than it once seemed."

Rapoport tweeted Monday that "at this point, [a] trade appears unlikely from all sides."

The Saints also own picks No. 76 and No. 103 in the first three rounds of this year's draft.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFLN reporting that the Saints are close to signing AP. They also said that there is a deal for Butler to pay him $13-14M per year. Pats aren't interested in the trade.

If you are Butler.....this has to be extremely frustrating. Great for the Pats.

The Patriots cornerback has been the subject of a litany of trade rumors ever since he hit restricted free agency in March, but it appears that such a move will not take place. The NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported on Monday that a trade between the Saints and Patriots involving Butler is “unlikely” for both sides, but Butler did work out a potential long-term deal with the Saints in the process.

#Saints & Butler have a multi-year deal agreed to, pending trade. At this point, trade appears unlikely from all sides. https://t.co/NXkrNUDspO

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 24, 2017

The MMQB’s Peter King also reported on Monday that the Saints are leaning toward keeping all of their current draft picks, one of which is the 32nd pick that they acquired from the Patriots for receiver Brandin Cooks.

The Boston Herald’s Jeff Howe tweeted on Monday that Butler’s long-term deal that he had in place with the Saints was for over $50 million, which would have made him one of the highest-paid cornerbacks in the NFL.

Malcolm Butler may have to wait a year for a massive payday if Saints don't strike. Butler, Saints had a deal in place worth more than $50M.

Report: Malcolm Butler Trade Unlikely, But He Had Deal In Place With Saints

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler can't be pissed at the Patriots. The Saints are trying to back door the Patriots and get Butler for nothing.
Patriots don't have to do anything. Keep Butler for $3.91M this year and if they so choose, franchise his ass next year. It'll probably cost them $17M to do that, but it might be worth it, if they can convince him to sign an extension.

The Saints have two firsts and two seconds and they will not give any of the four up in a trade. Now they'll have to take a chance and draft a college CB and hope he can play in the NFL.

What would be a real pisser for the Saints would playing the Pats and having Butler make the play that cost the Saints the game..........

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit, just posted what you guys did on the other thread...TO many Butler trade threads, LOL. I am very curious to see what NO was offering NE. Was it less than a 3rd? Maybe NO thought they had NE over their knee and that Butler wanted out and would not play. I hope at this point, NE can work out an extension for MB, they know the market now.