• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if it goes from Nike to Phil and say he invests it or goes and gambles and wins is it still Nike money?
earning it from Nike still doesn't make it Nike money once it is Phil's. Ive never gone out and been like hey guys I got this round it's hospital money.

to me calling it Nike U would mean they have a huge Nike contract.

Not saying there is anything wrong with but make a bunch of memes that are basically making fun of Oregon and the Phil Knight relationship.

But that is still like saying all the beer I drank yesterday was paid for by my employer. all the lap dances I have gotten over the last 13 years I have worked here were paid for by my employer. Any donations I have made shouldn't have been in my name but rather that of my employer.
I am not my employer and the company I work for is not me.
Jesus, duck fans drone on endlessly over Ted Bundy being a husky or talking about Amanda Knox and use those to attack the team they don't care for, but God forbid anyone simply states Oregon's current success model was bought and paid for by Nike money. :L

Every school would take free money from a wealthy donor, even one from a company with as many sketchy issues as Nike.

It's true Oregon didn't earn their status the same way other schools have, but there isn't anything wrong with doing so. It's more like comparing 'old money' rich people to lottery winners. Both can go buy whatever the hell they want.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you own the hospital? Or are you an employee?

Phil Knight owns Nike. So...Nike's money is his money and vice versa.
still false. does he just go and take money out of Nike headquarters for his own use or does he have a board and such that also help set his wage and he gets paid like everyone else

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, duck fans drone on endlessly over Ted Bundy being a husky or talking about Amanda Knox and use those to attack the team they don't care for, but God forbid anyone simply states Oregon's current success model was bought and paid for by Nike money. :L

Every school would take free money from a wealthy donor, even one from a company with as many sketchy issues as Nike.

It's true Oregon didn't earn their status the same way other schools have, but there isn't anything wrong with doing so. It's more like comparing 'old money' rich people to lottery winners. Both can go buy whatever the hell they want.

How did they not earn it the same way? did they still not have to go out and recruit and then perform on the field? did they not still go through practices the same as everyother school?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did they not earn it the same way? did they still not have to go out and recruit and then perform on the field? did they not still go through practices the same as everyother school?
No, they did not.

Give UW $80m for a war of facilities and see how many more recruits they keep than you would otherwise get now. Add $100m for a top flight basketball facility and see how long they are down.

Kids like bling. Oregon proved that. Bling on their uniforms and x-boxes in their lockers and fancy lighting. It sells your program. It buys signatures on signing day.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they did not.

Give UW $80m for a war of facilities and see how many more recruits they keep than you would otherwise get now. Add $100m for a top flight basketball facility and see how long they are down.

Kids like bling. Oregon proved that. Bling on their uniforms and x-boxes in their lockers and fancy lighting. It sells your program. It buys signatures on signing day.
and so then those signitures won games without doing any work?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and so then those signitures won games without doing any work?
Yes they did. I'm not playing your mind game.

You have better talent because of the money spent. Period. Stop. Conversation over.

P.S. It's implied that better talent produces better chances of winning with the same coaching/work. This should be something not required to state out loud and should be taken as a given by anyone with even basic knowledge of the sport.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let me make sure I got this Oregon gets money gets better recruits has success, they did it wrong.

Washington overhauls the stadium 3 years ago, signs a big name coach around the same time, also dropping bags of money on him because he was the highest paid coach there for a while, might still be, at least as far as publically known salaries go, and then 3,4 years later they have success but they did it right?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they did. I'm not playing your mind game.

You have better talent because of the money spent. Period. Stop. Conversation over.

P.S. It's implied that better talent produces better chances of winning with the same coaching/work. This should be something not required to state out loud and should be taken as a given by anyone with even basic knowledge of the sport.
they players just signed their letter of intent got scholarships, did no practices, no workouts, no film studies, no play book study, and won games? no work at all? that's fucking amazing.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they players just signed their letter of intent got scholarships, did no practices, no workouts, no film studies, no play book study, and won games? no work at all? that's fucking amazing.
Ok, normally I don't see you trolling up bullshit so I'll give you a free pass.

Read the PS in the post you responded to. I said WORK WAS IMPLIED. The difference is that money bought you better players to do that work. No fancy facilities and crazy uniform budgets and you get less 4* and more 3* athletes to do THE VERY SAME PRACTICE LOAD and have worse results. Again, something that shouldn't need to be said to be fully understood by anyone with basic football understanding.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still false. does he just go and take money out of Nike headquarters for his own use or does he have a board and such that also help set his wage and he gets paid like everyone else

Wow, are you truly this blind and clueless? Or are you just this desperate to keep up your justification?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, are you truly this blind and clueless? Or are you just this desperate to keep up your justification?
Something is wrong here for sure. Normally Oly is fairly level headed and fairly straightforward. It is not like him to be this defensive over something indefensible.

Oh well, I guess we can all be a bit too homerish on things that strike a cord now and then.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let me make sure I got this Oregon gets money gets better recruits has success, they did it wrong.

Clearly, you don't "got this." No one has said that Oregon did anything wrong. Literally, not one person has said that.

We have said that Oregon has gotten better recruits and better results since Phil started pouring money into the program.

Attracting better recruits, coaches and winning more games is literally the reason that Phil started dumping so much money into the program.

Even with the recruiting advantages that USC already enjoys, they have spent and continue to spend millions on upgrading the athletic facilities, building the Galen Center and upgrading the Coliseum. Why? To attract even more top recruits.

The only difference is that Oregon really only needs to go to one person to get the money they need where USC has to go to several. Either way, it's the same thing being done for the same reason.

Oregon just needs to kiss 1 ass where other programs need to kiss several. I'd wager that most athletic programs would love to have what Oregon has with Phil.

Last edited:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to a NFL.com reporter, sounds like Darnold is leaning on spending two more seasons at USC and not declaring for the NFL next year as many were initially expecting.

This is probably why the Corral decommittment occured like it did.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still looking the same but different colors doesn't make it not a uniform. if someone in the military wears a different uniform everyday are they not still in uniform?

In the military you have your work uniform. It doesn't change. You have your dress uniform. That doesn't change. There's no mixing and matching going on. There's no lets wear our dress hat with our cammies and lets wear glitter on Friday. So bad comparison.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to a NFL.com reporter, sounds like Darnold is leaning on spending two more seasons at USC and not declaring for the NFL next year as many were initially expecting.

USC fans everywhere just gooed in their pants a little. I'll believe it when he's back in '18.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the military you have your work uniform. It doesn't change. You have your dress uniform. That doesn't change. There's no mixing and matching going on. There's no lets wear our dress hat with our cammies and lets wear glitter on Friday. So bad comparison.
ok fair enough so if a company simply requires one to wear a shirt with their logo but they have 7 different colors and you can wear which ever shirt you want as long as it has the logo is anyone not in uniform?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read an article recently where Corral wants to start as a freshman or at least be able to fight for the job. I wonder if he was told look you can redshirt one season and be a backup the next and you still have to outplay Sears to get the job. Hearing that he bailed.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, normally I don't see you trolling up bullshit so I'll give you a free pass.

Read the PS in the post you responded to. I said WORK WAS IMPLIED. The difference is that money bought you better players to do that work. No fancy facilities and crazy uniform budgets and you get less 4* and more 3* athletes to do THE VERY SAME PRACTICE LOAD and have worse results. Again, something that shouldn't need to be said to be fully understood by anyone with basic football understanding.
oh so everything is based on an assumption

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon's entire history before Phil started dumping money into the program proves it.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what was posted. The only thing Ducks fans are better at than justification is deflection.

how does it not? you said Oregon's history is proof that their future woundnt have been the same.