• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh so everything is based on an assumption
So it's an assumption that better facilities helps land better recruits? It's an assumption that better recruits leads to better results?

If so, then yes. Based on ironclad slam dunk assumptions based on sound reasoning and tons and tons of college football history.

If money didn't buy them better results then why on earth would he dump so much money into it in the first place? :noidea: Of course they knew what they were doing!
:L

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok fair enough so if a company simply requires one to wear a shirt with their logo but they have 7 different colors and you can wear which ever shirt you want as long as it has the logo is anyone not in uniform?

That may pass as company approved but it's not a uniform there's no uniformity to it. If 100 people are walking around in athletic gear and they all have a Nike swoosh somewhere on their outfit are they in uniform? No.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's an assumption that better facilities helps land better recruits? It's an assumption that better recruits leads to better results?

If so, then yes. Based on ironclad slam dunk assumptions based on sound reasoning and tons and tons of college football history.

If money didn't buy them better results then why on earth would he dump so much money into it in the first place? :noidea: Of course they knew what they were doing!
:L

And why was Chip paying that guy in Texas for access to better players? Because he wouldn't do it for free. The power of money.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why was Chip paying that guy in Texas for access to better players? Because he wouldn't do it for free. The power of money.
But wait, we don't know that without those texas recruiting services they wouldn't have had the exact same results. They might have actually even been better!

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But wait, we don't know that without those texas recruiting services they wouldn't have had the exact same results. They might have actually even been better!

I drove a friends convertible Porsche for a weekend once. The attention from women was much much greater than me in my Ford F250. lol. Money money money.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how does it not? you said Oregon's history is proof that their future woundnt have been the same.

Because the whole point was that Oregon improved AFTER Phil started dumping money into the program.

For pretty much their entire history prior to Phil dumping money into the program, they were a doormat. Therefore, there's nothing to indicate that they could have reached the heights they have if he hadn't started donating millions.

Is it absolute proof that they couldn't have? Of course not. But there was literally zero evidence that would see the success they have without his money.

In other words, there is far, far more evidence (decades worth of evidence) that indicates that Oregon would continue to be a doormat without Phil's money.

The lengths you Ducks fans will go to in order to deflect and justify your success since Phil started funding your program is hilarious. Please don't ever change.

It's like, on some level, every Ducks fan is OD.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC fans everywhere just gooed in their pants a little. I'll believe it when he's back in '18.

Agree on both.

He may be looking at staying 2 more years right now. But we'll see what he has to say when the NFL is offering millions and talking about him being the #1 pick in the draft.

The one thing that may get him to stay is that like Leinart and Barkley before him, he's not in a situation where his family needs the money.

However, he may also look at the fact that staying one more year ended up costing both Leinart and Barkley millions and decide to leave.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on both.

He may be looking at staying 2 more years right now. But we'll see what he has to say when the NFL is offering millions and talking about him being the #1 pick in the draft.

The one thing that may get him to stay is that like Leinart and Barkley before him, he's not in a situation where his family needs the money.

However, he may also look at the fact that staying one more year ended up costing both Leinart and Barkley millions and decide to leave.

It's hard to think of cases where staying works out best for the player, it's hard for me to concede as someone who loves college football and barely follows the NFL, but it's what it is.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to think of cases where staying works out best for the player, it's hard for me to concede as someone who loves college football and barely follows the NFL, but it's what it is.

It's the old "strike while the iron is hot" philosophy.

NFL teams get all excited about a player and predict great things. Then, when that player decides to stay in school, they question why he didn't want to leave and start picking his game apart, finding flaws whether they exist or not and they start falling in the next draft.

So it kind of sets the player up to almost have to go to the NFL, even if they'd prefer another year in school.

Funny thing is, if he comes out when the NFL wants him to and doesn't perform to expectations, everyone talks about how he should have stayed in school another year. lol

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't grow their program through sweat and tears. They bought and paid for it.

agreed…WE @ State are a US land grant Institution and had to scrape the land with our bare hand and hand hew every log that game down the valley floor…i'm tired of that shit. Bring me some donor cash now , please.

i'll sell ya the wetlands just over the hill in momoth.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck and Mariota both came back when people thought they would go

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck and Mariota both came back when people thought they would go

Lucks family has money and he really valued his education at Stanford. He would have been fine coming out early.
Marriota was told he needed more experience as a passer which turned out to be true , it's helped him at the next level.
Darnolds biggest flaw is his delivery. It's long and loopy and he holds it in one hand too low. Heard he's been working on that. While I would love for him to stay after this season I'm like the rest of you. I'll believe it when I see it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot depends on where Darnold is projected I'm sure. If he's figured to be a top 10 on everyone's board it will be a lot harder to say no to that money. If he's more mid/late first round and he believes there is more he can work on in college he might stay.

I never blame any QB or RB for coming out early, and in fact sort of cringe when they stay. A QB's stock can change so drastically from year to year and RB's are so injury prone. You really have to go get your payday if it is sitting out there in front of you and take the money while you can.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I just saw Joel Klatt make a couple of very interesting points re: Darnold staying in school.

He said that the current QB's in the NFL who have won Super Bowls have thrown an average of 1100 passes and started 33 games in college. Darnold has thrown 366 passes and started 10 games.

He also pointed out that, with the new CBA, it's more important that a QB be ready to because the "generational money" is paid on the 2nd contract, not on a rookie contract (No more Sam Bradford guaranteed $50 mil. deals). Because of this, if a guy gets drafted and isn't ready, he's going to be moved on from quickly.

He said that 5 or so years ago, he'd be saying "go get your money." But with the way things are set up now, he's saying "Stay in school. Especially if you're a qb."

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But still if he ends up being 1 or 2 on the QB board after this year it's hard to say no.

Look, browning has said he is planning on staying for his senior season as well and I still say I'll believe it when I see it. I'll wait to see what either say after the end of this season and after the draft frenzy begins.

Would it matter if USC made it to the playoff championship game? What if they won? What if they stink but his draft stock still goes up?

Just too many different things can make changes that impact those decisions.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd think Darnold would be foolish to come back if he puts up a good year, if he takes a step back ya but not if he does well. He just has to look back at the $C since Palmer

Leinhart went from the number 1 pick to like 7th
Sanchez struck while the iron was hot and hot drafted high, chances were had he come back he wouldn't have even been a first rounder
Barkley went from a first rounder to wherever he went. Hell even at Cal Goff went 1, had he stayed no chance in hell he'd go 1

QB's almost always get punished for coming back because there is more tape on them to critique.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But still if he ends up being 1 or 2 on the QB board after this year it's hard to say no.

Look, browning has said he is planning on staying for his senior season as well and I still say I'll believe it when I see it. I'll wait to see what either say after the end of this season and after the draft frenzy begins.

Would it matter if USC made it to the playoff championship game? What if they won? What if they stink but his draft stock still goes up?

Just too many different things can make changes that impact those decisions.
Browning is one of the types who would probably actually benefit from staying, especially compared to darnold. Unless he gets bigger and stronger this year. He's smart, and prepared, but still seems to have some way to go with the physical aspects.