• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

From 14 to 12-no! Make that 16! (Big 12 Preview thread 2023)

Tritonboat71

50-55-56-74-75-85-00
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing.

If Arch Manning’s last name was Jones, he’d be G5 material.

He played at a private school in Louisiana at the 3A level and put up just above pedestrian numbers.

He’ll be Chris Simms version 2.0

Malik Murphy is Texas best answer at QB.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my preview for each Big 12 team

Texas - The Longhorns have a pretty good team returning this year, but I think they are getting a bit overhyped - they lose their star RB and while they have talent in the backfield it will be hard to match their production from last year, and I also wonder about potential QB controversy which usually hurts a team. They do have a very good receiving unit, and their defense looks like one of the Big 12’s best, so if their QB play is stable and someone emerges at RB they will contend for the Big 12 title, but they aren’t the clear cut favorites IMO like most people are saying and there’s something about Texas and Sark that I do not trust.

Baylor - Baylor is under the radar this year after a mediocre 2022, and I think they will be kind of a surprise team that contends for the Big 12 title. Their QB is back, they have 3 experienced RB’s and several experienced receivers, and their defense looks solid as well. Dave Aranda is a very good coach IMO, and I think Baylor will have a very good season.

Texas Tech - The Red Raiders have a very experienced team returning, and they won 8 games last year despite starting 3 different QBs. Almost their entire offense returns this year, and most of their defense is back as well. Joey McGuire did a great job in his first year, and I think the Red Raiders will have another solid winning season and could contend for the Big 12 title.

TCU - The Horned Frogs had an amazing season in 2022, getting all the way to the national title game before getting crushed by Georgia. It will be very hard for them to come close to last year’s results, with their QB, top 2 rushers and top 3 receivers all gone. They do add in some transfers to offset the losses, I think new QB Chandler Morris will have a good season, and most of their defense is back. I think the Horned Frogs have a chance at getting back to the Big 12 title game but it will be challenging for them as everyone will be gunning for them this year.

Houston - This looks to be a rebuilding season for the Cougars in their first year in the Big 12, most of their team on both sides of the ball is gone. Dana Holgerson is doing a great job with Houston but it will be a challenge to get to a bowl this year with so little experience plus a tough schedule, but they could surprise and be better than expected.

Oklahoma - After being dominant for years, the Sooners fell off the map last year and finished with a losing record. I expect the Sooners to be improved in Brent Venables second season in Norman, QB Dillon Gabriel is back and should be solid, they will need some receivers to step up as they aren’t that experienced there, the backfield looks decent. On defense they return most of their starters and they should improve. I really have no idea how good the Sooners will be but I expect a winning season and an improved team and they could contend for the Big 12 title.

Oklahoma St - The Cowboys fell apart down the stretch after winning their first 5 games last season. They are a hard team to predict this season, they need a QB to emerge and play well, they have some experience at RB and receiver. Their defensive front 7 looks strong but the secondary is a concern. I think the Cowboys will finish right in the middle of the Big 12 and should make another bowl but I don’t see them contending for the Big 12 title.

West Virginia - This looks like a rough season for the Mountaineers and Neal Brown is already on the hot seat. They lose most of their offense, including their QB, top rusher and top 4 receivers, and while the defense is more experienced it looks just like an average unit overall. The schedule is a nightmare as they face both Penn St and Pitt out of conference. They will have to pull off some upsets in order to make a bowl and for Brown to keep his job.

Cincinnati - I am unsure of what to expect from the Bearcats as almost their entire team is new in Scott Satterfield’s first year. They add in some transfers to help offset the losses but this looks like a rebuilding year for Cincy, it will be hard for them to reach a bowl.

UCF - I think the Knights are under the radar a bit as they join the Big 12 - they won 9 games last year and have most of their team back. Dual threat QB John Rhys Plumlee is back, and they have experienced RBs and receivers, and most of their defense returns as well. UCF should have a good season and they are a darkhorse Big 12 title contender IMO.

BYU - It’s hard to know what to expect from the Cougars this year - most of their offense is gone although they add in some transfers to help out - they look average on both sides of the ball. Kalani Sitake is doing a great job here and always gets the most of out of his teams so they’ll probably make a bowl again but this looks to be kind of a rebuilding year for the Cougars.

Iowa St - I’m not sure what to expect from the Cyclones, especially now that their QB has been suspended for gambling violations. Their rushing game was anemic last year and should improve but their QB situation is now a big question mark and they lost a lot on defense. It will be an uphill battle for Matt Campbell to get the Cyclones back to a bowl.

Kansas - After years of being the worst Power 5 team, the Jayhawks finally made a bowl again in 2022, and this year they return almost their whole team. QB Jalon Daniels is a dynamic player, and they have a 1,000 yard rusher and their entire receiving unit back. Most of their defense returns as well. The Jayhawks should have their best team in over a decade this year and should finish with a winning record and make a bowl.

Kansas St - Chris Klieman is doing a fantastic job with the Wildcats, and they won the Big 12 and got to the Sugar Bowl last year. QB Will Howard returns along with a decent receiving unit, and while they lose their star RB they have 2 experienced guys in the backfield. Their defense should be a solid unit once again. Kansas St is a definite contender once again in the wide open Big 12.

The Big 12 is truly wide open this year and I could see half of the teams in the conference emerging and winning it this year. It will be hard for a Big 12 team to make the playoff this year because the conference is so wide open, but a team could emerge and have a season like TCU had last year. This conference will be fun to watch.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 Predictions

So I'm finally back on this thread... for just one more post, as I finally give you my picks for the Big 12 in 2023:

1. Texas (Conference champs, "New Year's Six" bowl)
2. Kansas State (Maybe "New Year's Six")
3. Oklahoma
4. TCU
5. Texas Tech
6. Oklahoma State
7. Baylor
8. Kansas
9. UCF
10. BYU
11. Iowa State
12. Houston
13. West Virginia
14. Cincinnati

And just so you know, tomorrow I'll appear on another thread to give you my playoff picks!