• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to cancel the CCG. The conference winner will be crowned on 11/25, you southies can play for the Alamo Bowl invite
If they didnt do it for the Oregon vs Stanford battles they wont do it for Apple Cup

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said the same things, just not with a sledge hammer for weeks at a time. I told Oly I saw the ducks losing at least 4 games, he argued the defense didn't have to be better to win more than 8 and we more or less left it at that. And yes, I started the whole QB development thing, but that too I put out there and left when it ran it's course.

Was just busting your balls to the new guy anyway. :suds:
could argue that the Nebraska and Colorado games werent lost on defense though. not kicking Xtra points and offensive play calls on goal account for those 2

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could argue that the Nebraska and Colorado games werent lost on defense though. not kicking Xtra points and offensive play calls on goal account for those 2

Yeah, you could, if you ignored the fact that Oregon gave up 1020 yards combined on defense in those two games. I don't know about you but to me that could be a major factor.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had you brought any kind of decent defense to those they would have been W's. The problem early on wasn't your offense. Your team was still near tops of the conference in scoring. Even yesterdays game would have looked a little different if Freeman hadn't fumbled at the end of that long run. I mean still a blow out, but not 70.

I said on the UW board earlier this week that I had watched some film of your defense because I hadn't been able to really watch any of their games and after seeing it I didn't see any way they could even slow us down. I didn't see 70 coming of course, but that secondary doesn't stay in assignments and that front line is horrible. Hoke also blitzes way too much for a team that doesn't stay assignment sound. That D would be better off just not pressuring at all and dropping back into deep prevent zone vs what they are doing and it was plain on tape just how badly coached that unit is.

That isn't just a bad defense, nor is it just the worst in the conference. It's a historically bad defense in D1. I really don't think it could get any worse if you just threw random people in there off the street.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they didnt do it for the Oregon vs Stanford battles they wont do it for Apple Cup

A. Oregon was never clearly the best team in the league as UW is.

B. The conference never wants to just crown Oregon since they always embarrass the conference when it counts whether it be performance or uniforms.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had you brought any kind of decent defense to those they would have been W's. The problem early on wasn't your offense. Your team was still near tops of the conference in scoring. Even yesterdays game would have looked a little different if Freeman hadn't fumbled at the end of that long run. I mean still a blow out, but not 70.

I said on the UW board earlier this week that I had watched some film of your defense because I hadn't been able to really watch any of their games and after seeing it I didn't see any way they could even slow us down. I didn't see 70 coming of course, but that secondary doesn't stay in assignments and that front line is horrible. Hoke also blitzes way too much for a team that doesn't stay assignment sound. That D would be better off just not pressuring at all and dropping back into deep prevent zone vs what they are doing and it was plain on tape just how badly coached that unit is.

That isn't just a bad defense, nor is it just the worst in the conference. It's a historically bad defense in D1. I really don't think it could get any worse if you just threw random people in there off the street.

Remember the Coug defenses when Wulff was coach. They look similar.

I remember people called me crazy this summer when I said the Ducks defense was going to be worse than last years. Losing 6 starters of the front 7 and 4 out of the 5 best tacklers to grad and draft. And throw a new D coordinator on top of it whose moving them to a primary 4-3 scheme.

The ducks used to be able to get away with having mediocre defenses because their offenses would simply out score you into submission, but this isn't the PAC of 5 years ago. The conference is way more competitive now. They aren't going to be facing only 2-3 tough games a year anymore and trash the rest while yawning.

It's not over for the Ducks because Phil keeps writing those checks, but their going to have to put a lot more emphasis on the defense now if they want to stay relevant. Guess their fans thought they had some mystical system that would last forever. Nope. Reality just knocked the door down. Things have changed within the PAC. Evolve or hello cellar for years to come.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Their defense wasn't bad a few years ago. It was serviceable under Aliotti and a couple of those years was probably better than serviceable.
2. Money won't be a factor in rebuilding that brand. Of course they can afford to spend money on any coach willing to take that job, but the question is can they find the right guy that will work out. USC has struggled with that recently and they have one of the premiere jobs in the sport. UW struggled with it for at least a decade. There is some crapshoot element to it.
3. We all said their D was garbage and Hoke was going to be a joke. Even Oly wasn't ever really denying it, he just didn't expect them to fall this much more and have struggles on offense the way they have.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see Oregon has lost a close game @ Nebraska where they should have won.

Lost a close game to what appears to be a decent Colorado team where they should have won.

Lost to a Washington State team that looks like might be good after all.

Lost to #5 Washington.

Ducks could run the table if they learned from their mistakes, riding some serious momentum into next year where this young group will be more experienced and talented.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see Oregon has lost a close game @ Nebraska where they should have won.

Lost a close game to what appears to be a decent Colorado team where they should have won.

Lost to a Washington State team that looks like might be good after all.

Lost to #5 Washington.

Ducks could run the table if they learned from their mistakes, riding some serious momentum into next year where this young group will be more experienced and talented.
Wait, so you're saying Washington isn't overrated now?

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Their defense wasn't bad a few years ago. It was serviceable under Aliotti and a couple of those years was probably better than serviceable.
2. Money won't be a factor in rebuilding that brand. Of course they can afford to spend money on any coach willing to take that job, but the question is can they find the right guy that will work out. USC has struggled with that recently and they have one of the premiere jobs in the sport. UW struggled with it for at least a decade. There is some crapshoot element to it.
3. We all said their D was garbage and Hoke was going to be a joke. Even Oly wasn't ever really denying it, he just didn't expect them to fall this much more and have struggles on offense the way they have.
"Money won't be a factor in rebuilding the brand." LOL. UW people have spent years claiming just the opposite, that a rich uncle was responsible for their success. How short memories are. Washington found the "right guy" or I guess the right guy found Washington in this case. Because it took you ten years to do it doesn't set a norm.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Money won't be a factor in rebuilding the brand." LOL. UW people have spent years claiming just the opposite, that a rich uncle was responsible for their success. How short memories are. Washington found the "right guy" or I guess the right guy found Washington in this case. Because it took you ten years to do it doesn't set a norm.
Bullfuckingshit. Once a program misses a step with a guy it absolutely does. Look at Michigan and Notre Dame even.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no correlation between the two. And I shouldn't have to tell you that.

Money very much built that up and was used to attract the kids. That hasn't changed. They have the kids. They already have the facilities which at least lets potential coaches know they have that to help with recruiting. None of that changes. No NEW money is needed to impact that dynamic. The rate of pay for a HC is also not really a problem. The new Pac money allows any team to pay whatever their coach wants to some degree.

And I see you left off USC and their struggles. Sure, they couldn't really get that killer coach during the early parts of their sanctions, but they have yet to land one that puts them in Carroll territory and I doubt they have that yet in Helton. I never said, nor implied it is guaranteed to take 10+ years. I said we don't know and it could take longer than the throw money at it and reload that was suggested. Money doesn't always find you the right fit coach. Just ask Texas, the team that literally has more money to burn on coaches than any other school in the country. And still doesn't have that winner.

Once again, you are as far off base as is humanly possible.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

a8a0a370e3.jpg
That the raping tradition or the paying judges for favorable ruling tradition? :dhd:

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no correlation between the two. And I shouldn't have to tell you that.

Money very much built that up and was used to attract the kids. That hasn't changed. They have the kids. They already have the facilities which at least lets potential coaches know they have that to help with recruiting. None of that changes. No NEW money is needed to impact that dynamic. The rate of pay for a HC is also not really a problem. The new Pac money allows any team to pay whatever their coach wants to some degree.

And I see you left off USC and their struggles. Sure, they couldn't really get that killer coach during the early parts of their sanctions, but they have yet to land one that puts them in Carroll territory and I doubt they have that yet in Helton. I never said, nor implied it is guaranteed to take 10+ years. I said we don't know and it could take longer than the throw money at it and reload that was suggested. Money doesn't always find you the right fit coach. Just ask Texas, the team that literally has more money to burn on coaches than any other school in the country. And still doesn't have that winner.

Once again, you are as far off base as is humanly possible.
There are so many traditionally top programs who have missed, or are continuing to miss with guys (for example), I just can't even comprehend this argument...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yes, the right guy did find us. According to Softy when Sark announced he was leaving Petersen had his agent contact UW the next day to let them know he wanted to talk. He very much did choose UW and came after us. No one denies that's catching lightning in a bottle. It wasn't money or the staff or anything else. This was just a place he wanted to be and we are entirely fucking lucky he felt that way.