• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Notre Dame vs. Michigan rivalry is HUGE.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if (it's when isn't it?) the B1G goes to 9 conference games it will create some scheduling difficulties. I don't see PU or MSU willingly giving up on the rivalry.

I hope the fact that some Michigan higher ups had their egos hurt doesn't stop this rivalry from coming back after a break, ND will work something out with another one of our rivals (Navy :pray:) so that we play Michigan at least once every couple seasons.

No fng way we ever stop playing Navy ... I'd rather see Purdue or BC go bye-bye before Navy ... or Pitt for that matter. :2cents:

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No fng way we ever stop playing Navy ... I'd rather see Purdue or BC go bye-bye before Navy ... or Pitt for that matter. :2cents:

Yah, it was simply a hope. BC and Pitt are done now that they joined the ACC I think. Not too broken up about it myself.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah, it was simply a hope. BC and Pitt are done now that they joined the ACC I think. Not too broken up about it myself.

There's a very valid reason Navy has been on our sked for all these years.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if (it's when isn't it?) the B1G goes to 9 conference games it will create some scheduling difficulties. I don't see PU or MSU willingly giving up on the rivalry.

I hope the fact that some Michigan higher ups had their egos hurt doesn't stop this rivalry from coming back after a break, ND will work something out with another one of our rivals (Navy :pray:) so that we play Michigan at least once every couple seasons.

I think the bad blood comes more from the B1G's attempts to lure ND into the fold than Michigan getting their collective panties in a bunch. You are right about MSU and Purdue not giving up the rivalry. The ND game is a cash cow for them.

The B1G will play 9 conference games starting in '16

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO after a few years nobody will even remember any issues over the stoppage. The only concern will be if ND goes ACC during a mega conference formation. That would butt hurt the B1G.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO after a few years nobody will even remember any issues over the stoppage. The only concern will be if ND goes ACC during a mega conference formation. That would butt hurt the B1G.

As much as I'd rather have them join the B1G, it makes sense for them to go ACC. ACC recruiting grounds are way more fertile than B1G grounds. Plus it wouldn't hurt our local recruiting anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I disfavor publicity stunts, I have a feeling this falls into that category. How could Kelly know that little about the history of college football and the history of these two programs? Kelly did however save face in his interview yesterday by talking up the rivalry... Kelly's statements provided Hoke, Mattison and Gardner with a little more airtime this week and perhaps added motivation. So, I suppose the attention wasn't entirely bad.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I disfavor publicity stunts, I have a feeling this falls into that category. How could Kelly know that little about the history of college football and the history of these two programs? Kelly did however save face in his interview yesterday by talking up the rivalry... Kelly's statements provided Hoke, Mattison and Gardner with a little more airtime this week and perhaps added motivation. So, I suppose the attention wasn't entirely bad.

As I said before I think he was trying to downplay the rivalry because ND was choosing to cut it. What else could he really say? I doubt he is ignorant on the history of the rivalry.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I'd rather have them join the B1G, it makes since for them to go ACC. ACC recruiting grounds are way more fertile than B1G grounds. Plus it wouldn't hurt our local recruiting anyway.

That's a no-brainer from a recruiting standpoint. Though South Bend is in the heart of B1G country, it does make more sense right now for ND to join the ACC.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a no-brainer from a recruiting standpoint. Though South Bend is in the heart of B1G country, it does make more sense right now for ND to join the ACC.

Yupp, and it's too bad. I could care less about every ACC school sans FSU and Miami, where I actually have an interest in every B1G school.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be nice to play FSU and Miami again. We had some good battles with those schools.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do love the ND-UM Rivalry and if it weren't for in-state recruiting/rivalry I'd just as soon see Purdue go instead but meh...

So many games over the history and for me a ton through the 80s and 90s, 00's to remember fondly and some not so fondly. One of my faves is of course the infamous '88 game.

Anyway, historically for me as a fan the way I've viewed them is Michigan starts the year (game 1 or 2, usually 2) and USC finishes the year; and it's always a white-knuckle affair to see if we negotiate those two hurdles, not only because usually both teams are good but because both teams also get-up for those games so it's an added bit of drama.

UM will be back I'm sure, they'll probably do a bit of round-robin'g amongst Purdue, UM and MSU over the next 20 years. Three Big-10 teams on the schedule though is a bit much though.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been a good rivalry.

But not a USC vs ND or UofM vs OSU type rivalry.

I would not mind seeing new teams on the schedule for awhile. We get to complacent and I think both schools and fan bases can agree bringing in a top opponent from a BCS conference can be a good thing.

I would love to see UofM add a home and home with Georgia Tech.

The schools can always renew the contract down the road.

The only asterisk is if the schools use the hole to line up cupcakes. I think ND has already lined up Texas. And if thats the case I applaud the Irish for not looking for the one way contract vs a mid major.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been a good rivalry.

But not a USC vs ND or UofM vs OSU type rivalry.

I would not mind seeing new teams on the schedule for awhile. We get to complacent and I think both schools and fan bases can agree bringing in a top opponent from a BCS conference can be a good thing.

I would love to see UofM add a home and home with Georgia Tech.

The schools can always renew the contract down the road.

The only asterisk is if the schools use the hole to line up cupcakes. I think ND has already lined up Texas. And if thats the case I applaud the Irish for not looking for the one way contract vs a mid major.

I agree with this.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of Mich fans that rather beat us then OSU. That is sad. Especially now they have conferences in the B10.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of Mich fans that rather beat us then OSU. That is sad. Especially now they have conferences in the B10.

Nah, beating the Nuts makes our season. Turning the lights out on the leprechaun is just gold old fashioned fun.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I only know two Michigan fans, either of them would much prefer a win over OSU to a win over ND. Or at least that's what they tell me.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty clear ND is scared moving forward. They know Michigan is going to be a powerhouse again and they don't any of it. How about drop Purdue or MSU and keep Michigan? ND is a great program and I wanna see them keep playing. Oh well, they will in the future.