• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Notre Dame vs. Michigan rivalry is HUGE.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I was on ESPN for like 3 months. there were a lot of trolls. CBS had some ok trolls that knew what they were talking about but then we would get some that had no clue and posted on ND boards 95% of the time and maybe 5% on their own team. We had this one troll that was a OSU fan. I just didn't get it. ND never plays OSU(ohio St.) why hate ND so much? Didn't make much sense.

Try to explain how the ND espn board got tar heel trolls.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you all are interested in a good laugh, check out Deadspin.com's takedown of resident ESPN blowhards Mark May and Skip Bayless, both with overactive imaginations over the storied history of the ND-Mich rivalry. Now, one could argue that the ending of this series will hurt ESPN's bottom line as they carry it every other year, so let that sink in when you consider both May and Bayless are beside themselves for Kelly's comments and that "growing up, they always looked forward to watching the Mich-ND game" and how important it was. Problem is, they were both grown men the first time they could have conceivably seen the game. In May's case, the first two times ND played Mich in his lifetime was his sophomore year at Pitt. The deadspin writer went so far as to research that Pitt was playing Temple the same time the ND-Mich game was being played, so there is no possible way he could have watched the game in '78. The following two years, he was playing Kansas during the ND-Mich game. The first time he could have conceivably seen the game was the day before his NFL debut in St. Louis. For Bayless, the earliest he could have seen ND play Mich, he was 26 years old. Bayless added extra "duh" to his remarks about how going back to the days of Bubba Smith the rivalry meant something to him. Well, Bubba Smith played for MSU, not Mich, and he played college ball in the 60's when ND didn't play Mich at all during that entire decade (series hiatus from 1943-1978). So all the faux outrage over Kelly's comments, sprinkled with bullshit from these two clowns is not informative, but it is entertaining.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJC I saw that what a joke. They really should man up and admit they lied just so they can make better tv out of the whole Mich vs ND ending.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you all are interested in a good laugh, check out Deadspin.com's takedown of resident ESPN blowhards Mark May and Skip Bayless, both with overactive imaginations over the storied history of the ND-Mich rivalry. Now, one could argue that the ending of this series will hurt ESPN's bottom line as they carry it every other year, so let that sink in when you consider both May and Bayless are beside themselves for Kelly's comments and that "growing up, they always looked forward to watching the Mich-ND game" and how important it was. Problem is, they were both grown men the first time they could have conceivably seen the game. In May's case, the first two times ND played Mich in his lifetime was his sophomore year at Pitt. The deadspin writer went so far as to research that Pitt was playing Temple the same time the ND-Mich game was being played, so there is no possible way he could have watched the game in '78. The following two years, he was playing Kansas during the ND-Mich game. The first time he could have conceivably seen the game was the day before his NFL debut in St. Louis. For Bayless, the earliest he could have seen ND play Mich, he was 26 years old. Bayless added extra "duh" to his remarks about how going back to the days of Bubba Smith the rivalry meant something to him. Well, Bubba Smith played for MSU, not Mich, and he played college ball in the 60's when ND didn't play Mich at all during that entire decade (series hiatus from 1943-1978). So all the faux outrage over Kelly's comments, sprinkled with bullshit from these two clowns is not informative, but it is entertaining.

Do you have link? I would love to read it, but I just went to Deadspin and didnt see the article. I love watching/listening to Mark May yap his fool ND hating head off ... that dude is the biggest tool I have ever heard. I still laugh at all of his predictions going against ND every damn game last season and Crazy Lou sticking it in his face!

:hdn: :bj: :Cry: :fap:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me I know. I have a lot of friends that are Mich fans. Also when we use to be on CBS Mich fans came on our boards all the time but over in History USC is ahead of Mich for ND. Trust me Im so fired up for this game. Also most of the time this is a bigger game because its usually at the start the season but I will say I was more fired up for the USC game last year because well we needed to win to go to the NC game.

I miss having that back and forth with ND fans that used to occur on BOTH boards. I have to admit, the ND fans that wandered over the Michigan boards were, for the most part, knowledgeable and respectful.

I think Michigan is a natural rival and I hope this rivalry is resumed down the road. I get why there is bad blood between the B1G and ND but still think the two belong together, although it will never happen.

The thing about rivalries and ND is that ND lacks a major rival (that reciprocates). Michigan has OSU, USC has UCLA, Stanford has Cal, and even Navy would rather beat Army than ND.

Regardless, good luck to ND this Saturday but we all know who the Victors will be in UTL2.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have link? I would love to read it, but I just went to Deadspin and didnt see the article. I love watching/listening to Mark May yap his fool ND hating head off ... that dude is the biggest tool I have ever heard. I still laugh at all of his predictions going against ND every damn game last season and Crazy Lou sticking it in his face!

Skip Bayless Screws Up Notre Dame-Michigan Facts (VIDEO)

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Regional rivalry" makes it sound like nobody outside of Michiana knows about the rivalry. It may not be ND-USC, but if its not, its damn close.

I think Kelly said that to simply downplay the fact we're ending the scUM rivalry. It sucks big time imo. Fucking changing college football landscape...

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I saw that Keith Arnold at NBC Sports (covers the Irish) had links to both the articles featuring May's whopper and Bayless' I also see purguy linked to the story below.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss having that back and forth with ND fans that used to occur on BOTH boards. I have to admit, the ND fans that wandered over the Michigan boards were, for the most part, knowledgeable and respectful.

I think Michigan is a natural rival and I hope this rivalry is resumed down the road. I get why there is bad blood between the B1G and ND but still think the two belong together, although it will never happen.

The thing about rivalries and ND is that ND lacks a major rival (that reciprocates). Michigan has OSU, USC has UCLA, Stanford has Cal, and even Navy would rather beat Army than ND.

Regardless, good luck to ND this Saturday but we all know who the Victors will be in UTL2.

Thanks for the classy post jalopy. Yeah ... there were some real knucklehead ND trolls that ventured over to yall's board ... but I guarantee ya, they were idiotic trolls ... ONE REALLY COMES TO MIND, but we wont go there.

I, too, am sad to see this rivalry ending after next year and I hope the powers to be get their heads screwed on straight and revive it in the future! ND's biggest rival games has always been against Michigan and SC and I hate to see it vanish. It's as bad as Indiana basketball not playing UK every year. I wish all of Michigan fans were as 'gracious' as you ... I went to a Mich/ND game years ago in Ann Arbor and had a "very bad experience" ... lets just say I got tired of having beer thrown and poured all over me cuz I was wearing Irish garb in the stands. It was ugly and I have hated Michigan fans ever since that experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the classy post jalopy. Yeah ... there were some real knucklehead ND trolls that ventured over to yall's board ... but I guarantee ya, they were idiotic trolls ... ONE REALLY COMES TO MIND, but we wont go there.

I, too, am sad to see this rivalry ending after next year and I hope the powers to be get their heads screwed on straight and revive it in the future! ND's biggest rival games has always been against Michigan and SC and I hate to see it vanish. It's as bad as Indiana basketball not playing UK every year. I wish all of Michigan fans were as 'gracious' as you ... I went to a Mich/ND game years ago in Ann Arbor and had a "very bad experience" ... lets just say I got tired of having beer thrown and poured all over me cuz I was wearing Irish garb in the stands. It was ugly and I have hated Michigan fans ever since that experience.

I wish I had a similar story to tell (not really) about South Bend but I have been there for half a dozen or so games and never came close to an altercation. I apologize on behalf of the university. I know that stuff goes on over near the student section but I have never seen visiting fans physically harassed in the stadium. Leave that stuff for the 'shoe (plenty of beer dumped on my there).

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No fucking doubt. The pure fucking hate all four schools have for the rivarlies is just special. At least imo.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I had a similar story to tell (not really) about South Bend but I have been there for half a dozen or so games and never came close to an altercation. I apologize on behalf of the university. I know that stuff goes on over near the student section but I have never seen visiting fans physically harassed in the stadium. Leave that stuff for the 'shoe (plenty of beer dumped on my there).

It's ok ... I could take it, but I had my 7 yr old son with me ... that's what made it horrible. I was abhored after leaving that crap with my son asking me WHY ARE THEY LIKE THAT? I was soooo fng mad I never wanted to venture back to that place again!

But I still love the rivalry ...

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's ok ... I could take it, but I had my 7 yr old son with me ... that's what made it horrible. I was abhored after leaving that crap with my son asking me WHY ARE THEY LIKE THAT? I was soooo fng mad I never wanted to venture back to that place again!

But I still love the rivalry ...

Were you sitting in or near the student section though? If not, totally uncalled for. If so though, I've never been to a college game where the students aren't complete assholes to the opposing fans, especially rival fans...No one's proudest moment for sure, but it happens...

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you sitting in or near the student section though? If not, totally uncalled for. If so though, I've never been to a college game where the students aren't complete assholes to the opposing fans, especially rival fans...No one's proudest moment for sure, but it happens...

I was 2 sections away at the 20 yard line, I believe. Trust me it wasnt the students dumping beer on us ... it was the other idiot older, drunk fans that hated us sitting there in our Blue/Gold. It was as if we were outlaws where we didnt belong. It was bad, man, let me tell ya!

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly tried a little softening on his comments and Michigan's AD Brandon stated he has no plans on negotiating a future series.

I think Brandon got his nose out of joint by the letter terminating the series right before kickoff.

It's a shame as their is fewer and fewer good OCG at the start of the year.

I would keep an eye on the Irish's games against MSU and Purdue. The whole affiliation with the ACC could squeeze them out as Delaney has his nose out of joint.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell ya what ... I'm fat, dumb and happy remaining an Independent, but I see the writing on the wall ...

:2cents:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 2 sections away at the 20 yard line, I believe. Trust me it wasnt the students dumping beer on us ... it was the other idiot older, drunk fans that hated us sitting there in our Blue/Gold. It was as if we were outlaws where we didnt belong. It was bad, man, let me tell ya!

My family have been season ticket holder since I was about 12. I spent 4.5 years at the university and have been to over a hundred games in my life. I am not going to outright dispute this story but I will offer the following to justify my doubt that it ever happened.

1) Alcohol is not sold at the Big House. No beer. No wine. No liquor. EVER! Never has been and never will for a UofM sporting event.
2) All entrants are subject to a search upon entering the stadium. Student section searches can get pretty personal. Not saying that a pint or two doesn't make it in, but no one is walking around with cups of beer.

If this "story" took place in parking lot before or after the game or in a pub, I could buy it (still never seen it) but in the stadium the worst thing you are likely to get hit by is a flying marshmallow.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelly tried a little softening on his comments and Michigan's AD Brandon stated he has no plans on negotiating a future series.

I think Brandon got his nose out of joint by the letter terminating the series right before kickoff.

It's a shame as their is fewer and fewer good OCG at the start of the year.

I would keep an eye on the Irish's games against MSU and Purdue. The whole affiliation with the ACC could squeeze them out as Delaney has his nose out of joint.

I think if (it's when isn't it?) the B1G goes to 9 conference games it will create some scheduling difficulties. I don't see PU or MSU willingly giving up on the rivalry.

I hope the fact that some Michigan higher ups had their egos hurt doesn't stop this rivalry from coming back after a break, ND will work something out with another one of our rivals (Navy :pray:) so that we play Michigan at least once every couple seasons.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My family have been season ticket holder since I was about 12. I spent 4.5 years at the university and have been to over a hundred games in my life. I am not going to outright dispute this story but I will offer the following to justify my doubt that it ever happened.

1) Alcohol is not sold at the Big House. No beer. No wine. No liquor. EVER! Never has been and never will for a UofM sporting event.
2) All entrants are subject to a search upon entering the stadium. Student section searches can get pretty personal. Not saying that a pint or two doesn't make it in, but no one is walking around with cups of beer.

If this "story" took place in parking lot before or after the game or in a pub, I could buy it (still never seen it) but in the stadium the worst thing you are likely to get hit by is a flying marshmallow.

OK ... I understand that .... beer/liquor is not sold at ND Stadium either, but guess what ... it's there and I'm telling you me and my son were soaked with drinks being thrown on us ... TRUST ME!!!!