• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, @tlance, @trojanfan12 , @flyerhawk , @Sparhawk , @bksballer89 , @shopson67 ...

Some of you have coached or played competitively.

So, how do you fix this?

Ps. Damn the media is cold. Looks like they are turning on this kid. I get it...this is some fuckery. But, I'm sure it won't help his mental makeup and I would get rid of his ass if I could. Something is wrong upstairs and the pressure probably won't lesson.

Then again, Larry Bird came back in a big way after his college meltdown.

The organization believes Fultz has developed a hitch over time and his case of the yips is strictly mental. Sources around the NBA have said people inside the Sixers organization have been telling league colleagues the same thing since October.

The team still refuses to make him available to explain the whole situation even though they made him available for a nationally televised, agent-driven interview with TNT. A grievance was even filed through the Pro Basketball Writers Association by the local media in regards to speaking to Fultz.

The Sixers and Markelle Fultz need to come clean and halt all the speculation - Philly

Last edited:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Simmons came back from the ASG break roaring. 32 points 11 assists 7 rebounds a block and a steal.
He's got LeBron written all over him which isn't something I thought we'd see again....

At least not this soon.

Right now, He's as close to LeBron as Kobe was to Jordan.

...and this is only his first real Season.

Good grief.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, @tlance, @trojanfan12 , @flyerhawk , @Sparhawk , @bksballer89 , @shopson67 ...

So, how do you fix this?

Ps. Damn the media is cold. Looks like they are turning on this kid. I get it...this is some fuckery. But, I'm sure it won't help his mental makeup and I would get rid of his ass if I could. Something is wrong upstairs and the pressure probably won't lesson.

The organization believes Fultz has developed a hitch over time and his case of the yips is strictly mental. Sources around the NBA have said people inside the Sixers organization have been telling league colleagues the same thing since October.

The team still refuses to make him available to explain the whole situation even though they made him available for a nationally televised, agent-driven interview with TNT. A grievance was even filed through the Pro Basketball Writers Association by the local media in regards to speaking to Fultz.

The Sixers and Markelle Fultz need to come clean and halt all the speculation - Philly

For me, I would play him and let him figure it out.

For someone that played so decisively in his only year at college, I don't see how his confidence would wane if his shot didn't fall. He can still get to the rim. He can still dish. He needs to learn the nuances of the offense they run and understand the defensive concepts, so again, I would play him now with next year in mind. If he contributes this year, great. If he struggles, he knows what to expect for next year. Let him adjust on the fly.

My only other take is that he's tremendously immature and mentally not ready to compete.
To me, that's like asking the fans to stop waving their hands when shooting a foul shot.
If that's the case, he's done for the year.
If he comes back next year and plays well, it's a head scratcher.
If he come back next year and struggles, it's a gut punch of epic proportions.

The thing is, we may never know what the real truth is.
Just speculations....

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got LeBron written all over him which isn't something I thought we'd see again....

At least not this soon.

Right now, He's as close to LeBron as Kobe was to Jordan.

...and this is only his first real Season.

Good grief.

He's draining 3s in warmups.
I don't think it happens this year, but it will happen.

And that's the bizarre scenario with Fultz.

Simmons doesn't have the confidence to shoot a 3 in a game, but can make them uncontested during practice. Is that like Fultz and his shot? Perhaps we just don't value the game situation and how hard it actually is during the flow of normal game play. Maybe that's why AI kept talkin' 'bout practice....

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, how do you fix this?

There are sports psychologists out there that specialize in this field. I'd probably get him to see one at least initially to see if there are any real mental blocks to his road to recovery.

I'd also heavily lean on JJ Redick and Amir Johnson to try to break through to him as vets. Both have suffered injuries in their past and could be a solid voice to help him.

I would also look into trying to bring some other athletes who have suffered a similar injury as him and give him their perspective on what was done and hurdles they had to go through. What they had to manage as far as pain or dealing with recovering muscle memory.

Last I'd probably just break down film with him. Not of what his past was, but of his current work outs. There are times where he shoots the ball with perfect form and flow. There are other times where he looks out of whack. Show him that he's not only capable of getting back to where he was and how his shot originally was.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For someone that played so decisively in his only year at college, I don't see how his confidence would wane if his shot didn't fall. He can still get to the rim. He can still dish. He needs to learn the nuances of the offense they run and understand the defensive concepts, so again, I would play him now with next year in mind. If he contributes this year, great. If he struggles, he knows what to expect for next year. Let him adjust on the fly.

My only other take is that he's tremendously immature and mentally not ready to compete.
To me, that's like asking the fans to stop waving their hands when shooting a foul shot.

Just speculations....
Well said.

Since Philly is in the heart of the playoff race, seeding...

I would just chalk this year up to the game.

I feel sorry for the kid, especially after reading that article.

What do they " think " the truth is?

This doesn't strike me as a Monta Ellis, nefarious falling off the scooter, situation.

So, I am curious about what they think he and the 76ers are hiding when the writer posed this rhetorical question. But, it's probably just more hyperbole.

The truth will eventually get out. It always does.

One has wonder if all the speculations and misdirections to conceal what’s really wrong are, in the long run, all worth it. One has to also wonder if there are other reasons why he hasn’t been made available; is the organization just being ultra-protective of its 19-year-old prospect?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are sports psychologists out there that specialize in this field. I'd probably get him to see one at least initially to see if there are any real mental blocks to his road to recovery.

I'd also heavily lean on JJ Redick and Amir Johnson to try to break through to him as vets. Both have suffered injuries in their past and could be a solid voice to help him.

I would also look into trying to bring some other athletes who have suffered a similar injury as him and give him their perspective on what was done and hurdles they had to go through. What they had to manage as far as pain or dealing with recovering muscle memory.

Last I'd probably just break down film with him. Not of what his past was, but of his current work outs. There are times where he shoots the ball with perfect form and flow. There are other times where he looks out of whack. Show him that he's not only capable of getting back to where he was and how his shot originally was.

You are probably on to something with the Sports Psychologist.

Sadly, people still see this sort of thing as a weakness.

Hopefully, he won't be one of them.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, how do you fix this?

That Pompey article was petulant.

Why do the Sixers or Fultz have to come clean? So that the media have something to write about?

I think there is little question that Fultz has a mental problem right now. I don't think there is much value for him to publicly state that though.

His shot does look better.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, how do you fix this?

I don't know. Never seen anything quite like this. Saying he has the "yips" doesn't explain the dramatic change in his shooting form.

I have fixed some busted jumpers, but mental issues are much tougher to deal with. Playing through it could just make things worse. Awful tough to succeed in the NBA as a 6-3 guy who can't shoot.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just speculations....

Couldn't agree more. I feel like holding him out and all of the media speculation about why he's being held out isn't helping.

Let him play and figure it out.That's the approach the Lakers took with Lonzo and it seems to have worked as he has been doing much better shooting the ball.

From what I recall watching him in college, he is a skilled enough passer, ball handler and defender that he can contribute even if he isn't hitting shots.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more. I feel like holding him out and all of the media speculation about why he's being held out isn't helping.

Let him play and figure it out.That's the approach the Lakers took with Lonzo and it seems to have worked as he has been doing much better shooting the ball.

From what I recall watching him in college, he is a skilled enough passer, ball handler and defender that he can contribute even if he isn't hitting shots.
The biggest difference is the Lakers does not need Lonzo to be their savior anymore. They have figured out ways to win without the kid in the line up. The result is it takes the pressure off LB and they can take his development in stride. I am looking forward to seeing the Lakers next year. I'd love to see them keep Isaiah Thomas. He's a good fit for the Lakers, and he wants to stay. If the Lakers were to get Paul George - they would have a solid crew in guards.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A promising rookie's career was tragically cut short tonight. RIP Lauri Markkanen

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lonzo and Fultz are nothing alike.

Lonzo's shooting form is questionable at best, but it has not changed. His struggles were due to the fact that he isn't a great shooter. Lonzo was expected to struggle with his shooting.

Fultz was the number 1 pick because of his skill package which included a really good pull up jumpshot. His ability to shoot was not in question when he was drafted. Now, all of a sudden his jumper looks like a Shaq free throw.

At some point Fultz needs to play, but he needs to have some semblance of a jumpshot if he is going to have any chance to succeed. Putting him on the court without one could be counterproductive for his long term success.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just speculations....
I would further ask what you mean by play. I know I saw an article not too long ago that suggested letting him go to the D-League (or whatever it's called now) to work it out. He's physically healthy, but the point of the article was how would it shake his already low self-esteem something or the other if he shits the bed.

I dont know if that would be the case, the only thing that comforts me as a sixers fan is every game I watch, he looks incredibly upbeat and is supporting everyone out there during the game. It's a small comfort, but you take what you can get. Props to Ainge

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why do the Sixers or Fultz have to come clean? So that the media have something to write about?

I think there is little question that Fultz has a mental problem right now. I don't think there is much value for him to publicly state that though.

Pompey sucks, sixers media went way down when Jasner died. Kate Fagan carried the torch for a bit, but Pompey is a hack. So many people that wrote for libertyballers got jobs on that fact

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest difference is the Lakers does not need Lonzo to be their savior anymore. They have figured out ways to win without the kid in the line up. The result is it takes the pressure off LB and they can take his development in stride.

The Sixers are currently 32-26 and sitting in the 7th spot for the EC playoffs. Seems like they've figured out how to win without Fultz in the lineup. So, there would be no real pressure on him either.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo and Fultz are nothing alike.

Lonzo's shooting form is questionable at best, but it has not changed. His struggles were due to the fact that he isn't a great shooter. Lonzo was expected to struggle with his shooting.

Fultz was the number 1 pick because of his skill package which included a really good pull up jumpshot. His ability to shoot was not in question when he was drafted. Now, all of a sudden his jumper looks like a Shaq free throw.

At some point Fultz needs to play, but he needs to have some semblance of a jumpshot if he is going to have any chance to succeed. Putting him on the court without one could be counterproductive for his long term success.

I disagree to a point. Both Lonzo and Fultz were excellent shooters at every level they have played at prior to the NBA. So it's not as if either of them came in to the league with a history of not being good shooters.

Lonzo has the same basic form, but appears to have learned how to get his shot off in the NBA. He doesn't have quite as big a "loop" in his shot so he is releasing it quicker. The only real question re: Lonzo's shot was whether he would have to remake his shot or if he could just make an adjustment. He looks like he has adjusted.

For whatever reason, it looks like the Sixers have tried to remake Fultz's shot even though, from what I remember of seeing him in college, his shot was fine.

I don't think he needs to worry so much about his shot at this time, the Sixers don't need him to score, so I think he can play without needing to worry as much about his shot.

Just like Lonzo, he has the ability to contribute in other ways so there isn't as much pressure on him to score while he figures it out. If it really is mental, maybe playing, but not worrying about scoring is just what he needs?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They need to come clean because of exactly what's happening. The media is focusing on this to an extent and since there are no clear explanations from either the Sixers or Fultz as to what the problem is, they are speculating and coming up with their own explanations.

At least if they come clean, it'll stop the speculation or at least lessen it a good bit.