• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mid-range is definitely a tool the best PGs seem to have. It's a shot to pull out when everything breaks down or just to keep defenses on their toes after you've probed the defense early in the possession. Catch them sleeping a couple of times and they'll stay glued to you, which is what you want because you don't want them clogging up space elsewhere bottling up the offense. At the very least, every great PG needs a floater that they can release just a step past the FT line

Because the league has gone more and more to pick and role offense.

You can't be a great pick and roll PG without a midrange game. It just isn't possible. A great pick and roll player needs to be able to hit the 3 if they go under and hit the midrange pull up over the big to take advantage of switches and soft hedges.

It is somewhat ironic because analytics say these shots are about the worst in basketball, but at the same time they are necessary to keep opposing defenses honest.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we spending so much time talking about Ball and Fultz? There are so many rookies having great seasons. Why focus on the disappointments?
Pretty sure Mitchell, DSJ, Tatum have been discussed as well.

Shouldn't be much of a surprise that Ball and Fultz get the most attention because of where they were selected, how they have struggled and the number of posters on the NBA threads that makeup those two fanbases.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many disappointments in the top 10 though
If we redrafted, #13 would be #1, #3 would be #2 and the Knicks would not pass on Smith.

#27 would be top 15, maybe even 10.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we redrafted, #13 would be #1, #3 would be #2 and the Knicks would not pass on Smith.

#27 would be top 15, maybe even 10.

Not sure how anyone can call this draft a disappointment. We aren't one season in yet and we have several players that have shown a lot of promise. Mitchell, Smith, Kuzma, both Collinses, Markannen, Tatum, and Bam Adebayo have all shown promise.

Lonzo's game has flaws but he also shows a lot of promise. Fultz may wind up being red shirted, but I would argue that Ben Simmons shows that being red shirted certainly shouldn't mean that a player is a bust.

I think there is more than a decent chance that this will be a generational draft.

We don't need to be prisoners of the moment.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we spending so much time talking about Ball and Fultz? There are so many rookies having great seasons. Why focus on the disappointments?

Translation = "Why aren't we talking about Simmons 24/7?"

I'd hardly call Ball a disappointment.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how anyone can call this draft a disappointment. We aren't one season in yet and we have several players that have shown a lot of promise. Mitchell, Smith, Kuzma, both Collinses, Markannen, Tatum, and Bam Adebayo have all shown promise.

Lonzo's game has flaws but he also shows a lot of promise. Fultz may wind up being red shirted, but I would argue that Ben Simmons shows that being red shirted certainly shouldn't mean that a player is a bust.

I think there is more than a decent chance that this will be a generational draft.

Certain players drafted in the lottery been a disappointment

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well that's always true. Even arguably the best draft of all-time(2003) had Darko Miličić, Kirk Hinrich, Michael Sweetney and Jarvis Hayes selected in the top 10.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eh, it's too early to figure everything out.

Tatum and Kuzma have lost efficiency in the last two months, so let's see if they can climb over the rookie wall. I would gladly take disappointment now if they grow later. Even Josh Jackson has shown signs of life, averaging 17.7/6.5/1.7 in 11 February games on .508 TS%. Compared to his first three months, those numbers are essentially legendary.

Malik Monk and DeAaron Fox, yeah, not so much....

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, it's too early to figure everything out.

Tatum and Kuzma have lost efficiency in the last two months, so let's see if they can climb over the rookie wall. I would gladly take disappointment now if they grow later. Even Josh Jackson has shown signs of life, averaging 17.7/6.5/1.7 in 11 February games on .508 TS%. Compared to his first three months, those numbers are essentially legendary.

Malik Monk and DeAaron Fox, yeah, not so much....

I wouldn't put Fox in the same sentence as Monk. Fox been ok but Monk has been HORRIBLE. Not even in their rotation anymore

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't put Fox in the same sentence as Monk. Fox been ok but Monk has been HORRIBLE. Not even in their rotation anymore

It's too early to call anyone a bust but so far I was really really really wrong on Monk.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which ones have been a disappointment? To me I thought Ntilikina and Collins were drafted too early, so it's not really on them. But those two would be the only ones I would really consider a disappointment.

Josh Jackson and De'Aaron Fox have had a recent great stretch of basketball, so that's turning up. Fultz, Ball, Isaac have all missed significant time due to injury.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which ones have been a disappointment? To me I thought Ntilikina and Collins were drafted too early, so it's not really on them. But those two would be the only ones I would really consider a disappointment.

Josh Jackson and De'Aaron Fox have had a recent great stretch of basketball, so that's turning up. Fultz, Ball, Isaac have all missed significant time due to injury.

That was mainly directed at Monk

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What draft class do people think was more highly thought of than this one after one season?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh.....

I don't think @bksballer89 was calling anyone a bust.

He , and many others including me, expected MORE from a couple of the guys in this draft class.

You can look at our ROY predictions to see that.

Ben is the only one left in that race.

Some rookies got derailed by injury, Ball, Fultz, DSJ.

Some got derailed by their idiotic management that were looking for a quick fix, by placing a bandaid on a gushing , cracked dam, Fox, Ntilikini.

Some simply weren't ready, Monk.

With that being said, I agree that it's way to early.

Monk could easily go the way of CJ McCollum and ball out in a year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.....

I don't think @bksballer89 was calling anyone a bust.

He , and many others including me, expected MORE from a couple of the guys in this draft class.

You can look at our ROY predictions to see that.

Ben is the only one left in that race.

Some rookies got derailed by injury, Ball, Fultz, DSJ.

Some got derailed by their idiotic management that were looking for a quick fix, by placing a bandaid on a gushing , cracked dam, Fox, Ntilikini.

Some simply weren't ready, Monk.

With that being said, I agree that it's way to early.

Monk could easily go the way of CJ McCollum and ball out in a year.

Well the conversation started when bskballer said that he thought this draft was disappointing. I just don't agree with that.

Very few rookies will shine immediately in any draft class. When you have 3 or 4 that are shining that is notable.

I honestly can't think of a draft class in a long while that has had so many players that have looked good as rookies.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What draft class do people think was more highly thought of than this one after one season?
1. 1984

2. 2003

3. 1985

4. 1996

5. 1987

Before anyone rolls their eyes about 1996,.....having Kobe, Nash, Ray Allen, Iverson gave it more juice with me.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the conversation started when bskballer said that he thought this draft was disappointing. I just don't agree with that.

Very few rookies will shine immediately in any draft class. When you have 3 or 4 that are shining that is notable.

I honestly can't think of a draft class in a long while that has had so many players that have looked good as rookies.
Agree.

2003, 1984 are the only draft classes that had guys that just went nuts.

Maybe the 1993 Webber draft class?

Webber, Penny, Mashburn, Sam Cassell

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

2003, 1984 are the only draft classes that had guys that just went nuts.

Maybe the 1993 Webber draft class?

Webber, Penny, Mashburn, Sam Cassell

1984 and 2003 definitely are the gold standard.

93 is interesting but it is hard for me to remember the players immediate impact.

Webber and Penny were immediate impact guys. Not sure how much of an impact Mashburn, Cassell, or Baker had as rookies.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. 1984

2. 2003

3. 1985

4. 1996

5. 1987

Before anyone rolls their eyes about 1996,.....having Kobe, Nash, Ray Allen, Iverson gave it more juice with me.

4 first ballot hall of famers ain't bad for any draft class.