• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Frank Beamer is done/Coaching Update thread

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree. Any non former NFL coach seems to be plausible at this point. I think we can do better than Pep, so an NFL coach would completely shock me.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to read that most of the CFB press consider VT to be the second-best job available (to USC). Considering that, I don't think it's unreasonable to have some NFL names in the discussion. I don't think it will happen, don't get me wrong, but it's a good job and the program is in a good spot, with great facilities. Why wouldn't a top coach want it?

I'm trying not to get too involved in the rumor mill on this one because I trust it even less for this than I do for recruiting... and I've gotten my hopes dashed a ton following recruiting. Just praying for anyone other than car richrod (SAY CAR RICHROD!!! SAY CAR RICHROD!!! *angry look* You didn't say it).

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are we talking about turkey? Tomlin and Arians? I think everyone outside of the NFL guys are very realistic.

Herman, Smart, Fuente, Richt, Knule, Campbell, RRod. All very realistic IMO.

Tomlin, Arians, Kelly are some of the NFL coaches. Then I've seen shit like Kevin Sumlin. A&M is freaking loaded and he's in a very nice spot. That's even more unrealistic than the NFL coaches. You read the rumor mill topics on some of the bigger sites and people are just retarded, throwing out any coach they can think of just to be a part of it.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin, Arians, Kelly are some of the NFL coaches. Then I've seen shit like Kevin Sumlin. A&M is freaking loaded and he's in a very nice spot. That's even more unrealistic than the NFL coaches. You read the rumor mill topics on some of the bigger sites and people are just retarded, throwing out any coach they can think of just to be a part of it.

A lot of other message board have guys posting for fodder. "What about xxx?" With no backing or substance.

One TSL poster did say something serious about Chad Morris. The guy has had good scoops in the past, but the way he just kind of out and said it made me skeptical. Not sure something like that would leak and be leaked directly on a significant message board so quickly.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of other message board have guys posting for fodder. "What about xxx?" With no backing or substance.

One TSL poster did say something serious about Chad Morris. The guy has had good scoops in the past, but the way he just kind of out and said it made me skeptical. Not sure something like that would leak and be leaked directly on a significant message board so quickly.

Well, Morris is actually believable. Supposedly he was on the emergency short list (along with RichRod) last year when Beamer's health was a question mark. That is, if you believe that rumor from last year which I do.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy to bring in Morris. 100x over Rich Rod

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, those names are laughable.

Morris does seem to be the hot name of the day.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of news coming out about Richt today and seems like he could be done for real this time. He has to be at the top of Whit's list. I'm gonna so pissed if Richt is available and we end up with Rich Rodriguez.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Richt is willing to coach next season and we take Rich Rod over hime I'd have serious questions on Whit. I think he knows a good deal when he sees one, so I don't see that happening. On the other hand, I'm not sure why I'm not as big on Morris as some may be. I think Clemson is able to recruit a little higher than we can for those plays to be a little more explosive. I like the guy at Temple, but I'm not worried about the speculation. I'm just ready to see Frank out the right way. I'll be traveling from FL back to VA to watch the UVA game. I'm sure There will be a banner of some sort that says, "Thanks for everything Coach".

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have just gotten done watching the Frank tribute vid while having a few brews, so excuse the typing errors

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of news coming out about Richt today and seems like he could be done for real this time. He has to be at the top of Whit's list. I'm gonna so pissed if Richt is available and we end up with Rich Rodriguez.

Would be an absolute travesty.

Richt gets a terrible rap. Florida is the only school in the SEC he has a losing record against.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Richt is willing to coach next season and we take Rich Rod over hime I'd have serious questions on Whit. I think he knows a good deal when he sees one, so I don't see that happening. On the other hand, I'm not sure why I'm not as big on Morris as some may be. I think Clemson is able to recruit a little higher than we can for those plays to be a little more explosive. I like the guy at Temple, but I'm not worried about the speculation. I'm just ready to see Frank out the right way. I'll be traveling from FL back to VA to watch the UVA game. I'm sure There will be a banner of some sort that says, "Thanks for everything Coach".

I'm sort of with you on Morris. Ultimately, I'd be fine with him but there's others I'd feel more comfortable with. What makes me lukewarm on him is he came out of nowhere to Clemson and did very well with Dabo but I'm just not sure how much of that is Dabo and how much was Morris. And I can't make much out of his time at SMU because that program is a mess that will take years to fix and he's been there for 6 games. Contrast that with Tom Herman, who did very well on offense at ISU and OSU and has Houston humming nicely. He seems to be an extra level of respect hire in CFB circles. TL;DR version, Morris doesn't quite have enough experience for me to be comfortable.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to go that route, I'd take Herman 100x over Morris for now and how they've done. The problem is as you said Morris took over a terrible SMU program so the numbers can be misleading. It's not like I really know anything though. There's that reason I'm speculating here instead of being recruited by big time football programs haha.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Whit Babcock proved he keeps hints really close to the vest when he hired Buzz Williams who nobody expected and was an 'out kick the coverage' hire based on the program reputation, history and current situation.
That being said, I have heard a lot of heat around three particular coaches: Chad Morris, Rich Rodriguez and Justin Fuente. If I had to put percentages on the heat it would be like this:

Morris 50%
RichRod 25%
Fuente 15%
Other 10%

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good info. 46. I would probably be good with any of those guys, especially Morris and Fuente. Rod would be OK too. I am a little higher on him than most, particularly if Bud stays on. Got a couple questions for you....

1) What are the odds Bud and his D staff stay on with a new HC?? There are conflicting reports/rumors. I think the odds are 50-50 he stays. I am sure everything g will have to do with who the HC is. I also get the feeling that the new mans willingness to keep Bud on could influence Whits decision.

2) Any thoughts on VT poaching another program for a big name? I have heard Richt, Fedora, and even Butch Jones mentioned. I think the odds are low, but not impossible. We saw what Whit did with the Buzz hire.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Whit Babcock proved he keeps hints really close to the vest when he hired Buzz Williams who nobody expected and was an 'out kick the coverage' hire based on the program reputation, history and current situation.
That being said, I have heard a lot of heat around three particular coaches: Chad Morris, Rich Rodriguez and Justin Fuente. If I had to put percentages on the heat it would be like this:

Morris 50%
RichRod 25%
Fuente 15%
Other 10%

Still think RichRod is that high? There's some rumblings today that's pointing him to the Gamecocks.

And so disappointed to not see Herman on that list.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of smoke that USCe wants Herman to be a Cock. :dhd:

Childish I know... Always got a kick out of their mascot

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a dream last night that Gary Patterson shocked the world and took the job. But it was one of those deals where I realized I was dreaming because we were playing the Pittsburgh Steelers and was like "hey, this seems weird" and I woke up.

All indications from people that may know something seem to be pointing to Chad Morris.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
after much thought, I like Richt .... alot .. He'd be a great get. I'd be perfectly fine with Chad Morris .. Just dont get the feeling that he'd stay long at all. I also am not down on Rich Rod like others seem to be.

I never figured Herman to be the guy. He's not going to jump ship from a VERY good situation for just any job. He'll cut his teeth there for a few years if he has to and then land a blue-chipper HC job.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are folks high on Chad Morris? Am I reading his HC record correctly? 1-8?