• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Frank Beamer is done/Coaching Update thread

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, reports of 'offensive guy' and then there's stuff like this

Who knows?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're right from the recruiting standpoint, and certainly hope you're right about the RR situation. One thing that makes me a little nervous is the guy who broke the news about Frank's announcement, Mike Jurecki, is a sports reporter and radio host in Arizona...and I don't think Arians is really an option here.

As far as the other guys go, they're all finishing out (extremely good) seasons, too. I am sure they're wanting their teams to remained focused and not bring unnecessarily early speculation to their programs before season's end.

Perhaps we should all flood Whit's inbox with "No RichRod" emails.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd rather have a RR + BF combo than a Kirby Smart assuming he would want to implement his/Saban's 3-4.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and even then he'd haul ass the first chance he got if Jawja called. Let the roosters deal with that impending cluster fuck.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd rather have a RR + BF combo than a Kirby Smart assuming he would want to implement his/Saban's 3-4.

Not sure who'd be out hitting the recruiting trail for us then.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure who'd be out hitting the recruiting trail for us then.
RR and BF would.

Smart may get better recruits but no one is even sure he can coach a D1 football team yet. Hell....no one is even sure he is coaching his own defense at his own team right now. I am not in favor of handing the keys over to someone who hasn't even proven he can run a defense without Saban holding his hand yet.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RR and BF would.

Smart may get better recruits but no one is even sure he can coach a D1 football team yet. Hell....no one is even sure he is coaching his own defense at his own team right now. I am not in favor of handing the keys over to someone who hasn't even proven he can run a defense without Saban holding his hand yet.

I agree Cam. No disrespect to Smart, he is a great coach, but I don't believe Babcock is going to take a chance on someone who has not ran a program yet. That would be the ultimate smack in the face to Bud. If they are going to go the "unproven" coordinator route, might as well go with BF, he and Kirby are equals IMO. Furthermore, Smart has shown he can recruit, but it is easy to recruit kids to Nick Saban's Bama.

It's hard to say who will be in the running. I say RRod, Fuente, and Herman being the obvious frontrunners. But Babcock pulled a major rabbit out of his hat with the Buzz hire. Hokienation might be pleasantly surprised with who ends up being the next man up.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Cam. No disrespect to Smart, he is a great coach, but I don't believe Babcock is going to take a chance on someone who has not ran a program yet. That would be the ultimate smack in the face to Bud. If they are going to go the "unproven" coordinator route, might as well go with BF, he and Kirby are equals IMO. Furthermore, Smart has shown he can recruit, but it is easy to recruit kids to Nick Saban's Bama.

It's hard to say who will be in the running. I say RRod, Fuente, and Herman being the obvious frontrunners. But Babcock pulled a major rabbit out of his hat with the Buzz hire. Hokienation might be pleasantly surprised with who ends up being the next man up.
And if all that isn't enough to deter us away from him.....that 3-4 Smart "runs" isn't going to work around these parts and in the ACC. That shit works for Saban because he can recruit 5*s from around the country and primarily play pro-style offenses every week in the SEC. VT doesn't get that luxury and isn't going to no matter who is recruiting for them.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are that high on Herman, but not Smart? Kirby Smart has been at Alabama for 7 years (much of that under Saban), is well known to be one of the best recruiters in the country, and is a year younger than Herman. Tom Herman has half a year of HC experience under his belt.

I get it if you want to say you're skeptical about his time as a coordinator, but don't come back and say you want a guy like Herman instead, considering KS is probably a better recruiter, they have pretty equal looking resumes when you look at who they've worked for, and one guy has coached 7 or 8 games.

I suppose I can see it, just don't agree with the logic

Last edited:

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More and more smoke to RR, which is really unfortunate if it's true. It's Whit's job to hire the best possible coach he can, not one of his buddies. Hope there are others still up for consideration

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich Rod would be a massive disappointment. It would be a little fun to have him at HC right before we renew our WVU rivalry, but I don't like him, I don't trust him and he's proven himself to be ambitious to a fault. He's not a long-term hire.

I'm almost happy with anyone else.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More and more smoke to RR, which is really unfortunate if it's true. It's Whit's job to hire the best possible coach he can, not one of his buddies. Hope there are others still up for consideration

From where? All the stuff I've seen today is just idiots posting about unrealistic candidates

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From where? All the stuff I've seen today is just idiots posting about unrealistic candidates

Too much smoke not to take it somewhat seriously. Arizona sports radio was talking RR to VT today, even.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are that high on Herman, but not Smart? Kirby Smart has been at Alabama for 7 years (much of that under Saban), is well known to be one of the best recruiters in the country, and is a year younger than Herman. Tom Herman has half a year of HC experience under his belt.

I get it if you want to say you're skeptical about his time as a coordinator, but don't come back and say you want a guy like Herman instead, considering KS is probably a better recruiter, they have pretty equal looking resumes when you look at who they've worked for, and one guy has coached 7 or 8 games.

I suppose I can see it, just don't agree with the logic

I agree somewhat, but I think most of us fans are looking for a more offensive minded coach. Plus, Smart doesn't seem like a good fit for many reasons, some that Cam mentioned above. He has SEC ties so I think he would jump ship at the first opportunity to go back to Georgia or Bama (maybe only in a year or two). Not saying that is a terrible thing, that would indicate he has been successful at VT. I would be good with Smart, just don't think "medium" term it would work out.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who are we talking about turkey? Tomlin and Arians? I think everyone outside of the NFL guys are very realistic.

Herman, Smart, Fuente, Richt, Knule, Campbell, RRod. All very realistic IMO.