• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Frank Beamer is done/Coaching Update thread

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am starting to see that there is probably no one that is going to make everyone happy. But I personally think Fuente would be a fantastic hire. He is right up there with Herman IMO. A lot of people want to pick on him because of his past recruiting results, but that really isn't fair. Memphis is probably a tough place to recruit. He has proven he can do more with less, a true Xs and Os coach who can develop talent and cater his system around his players. Just imagine what he could do with the type of talent that VT can and WILL get to start coming back to Blacksburg.

I don't really worry too much about the recruiting. "Build it and they will come" is my philosophy on that. The reason why our recruiting has been so lackluster the last several years is the negative recruiting against our staff, particularly Beams and the fact that the wins just haven't been there. Right now, the program looks like that old beat up pile of shit Joe Dirt bought for $500. Once we pull that shiny Hemi into the garage, Virginias best will be back in the Terrordome.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
National media now moving in the Fuente corner. I guess the others mentioned were just the flavor of the day. Not sure what to think about Fuente....Memphis certainly didn't lack in offensive production. We may have a good shot at keeping Bud and Torrian with this hire.
I just read an article saying the same thing.
Virginia Tech may have found their replacement for Frank Beamer

"Yahoo’s Pat Forde reported on Monday night that Virginia Tech has heavy interest in Memphis head coach Justin Fuente, with Forde stating that VT athletic director Whit Babcock, “has his man, and has for a while now, and Fuente is that man.”

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuente would be a fine hire. One of the best actually, if we can't land Mullen or perhaps Herman

Oddly enough, a well connected 247 poster (I believe he is on the BOV) said Fuente (nor anyone else) had already been hired. He said there was a program who offered him their head coaching position sight unseen. He said the article was written to take away from the fact that Fuente turned them down.

Pat Forde went to Mizzou.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuente would be a very good hire. I'd have him slightly behind Herman and Mullen.

Also, WSLS out of Roanoke put up a story about Bud being a candidate of Illinois' HC

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuente would be a very good hire. I'd have him slightly behind Herman and Mullen.

Also, WSLS out of Roanoke put up a story about Bud being a candidate of Illinois' HC

Bud Foster Candidate for Illinois Head Coaching Position

Makes a lot of sense for a school like Illinois, although I am not sure how connected he (still) is with that state if at all. Would be a home run hire for them if you ask me. It doesn't surprise me that he is garnering attention from outside of Bburg.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Illinois even have an AD? Regardless of where their football team is, it would be hard for me to take a job without an AD.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Illinois even have an AD? Regardless of where their football team is, it would be hard for me to take a job without an AD.
I'd be happy if Bud got a chance at a P5 school if he doesn't get it here. AD situation would be rough, but it'd be cool to see him get any shot. I feel he deserves it after his tenure.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems like Mullen could be a small but legit possibility .. All things seemed to be pointing to Chad Morris a week ago .. Coaching searches are a total shit show .. Haha .. Most of these rumors are agents jockeying to get pay raises for their clients among other reasons to float rumors..

Still think Fuente is the guy .. Too much smoke .. Or at the very least, we've got him on the hook

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources* telling me Fuente or Mullen will be named HC by Wednesday.

*Sources are my gut

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, Houston qualified for its conference championship game. So I guess if Tuesday and Wednesday pass and we don't have a coach, we know who it is... :hope:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SI, ESPN, and everyone else all saying Fuente is the HC and will be official early in the week. Foster stays at DC and Shane will be on the staff in some capacity.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gray and Wiles staying on the staff.

Brad Cornelsen (OC + QB) and Vance Vice (OL) are coming over from Memphis

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gray and Wiles staying on the staff.

Brad Cornelsen (OC + QB) and Vance Vice (OL) are coming over from Memphis

Keeping the core of our defensive staff... I love it. Rumor is Galen Scott (Memphis DC/OLB) could be the last defensive assistant, If not, Ricky Hunley (Memphis DL). At a glance, Scott's defensive units have been pretty damned good. IF we can pull him, that would be fantastic.

Elmo was on the radio the other day giving VERY high praise to the new WR coach Wiggins. He had met him several times and said he is a straight up stud/star in the making, even as much to tell Saban to give him a look at some point. Elmo said that he needs to be recruiting in the 757 immediately.

How would you guys feel about us bringing in Beatty and/or West from UVA??

I know it is an extreme long shot, but that would give us a known/established 757 presence again and probably take away from any assistants that Mendenhall may want to retain at UVA.

I would be for getting Beatty as the last offensive assistant.

Last edited:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't hurt to bring on one of those guys with ties to the 757. Every little bit helps

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zohn Burden staying on staff but is moving to RB coach

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burden was a good keep IMO. 757. I think there is only one staff position left to fill, once again, rumor is Scott from Memphis will be the LB/AHC coach.