• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Frank Beamer is done/Coaching Update thread

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So everyone seems to believe Frank Beamer's days are numbered now, its just a matter of when not if. And by when it seems like its either "this week" or "end of the season". So post your thoughts and/or rumors you've heard about the changes and possible candidates.

@Forty_Sixand2 , you still plugged in and gotta any juicy gossip?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the legitimate chances we keep BF with the HC change? I know our defense is sub par right now, but I have to believe it is a matter of having a lack of talent on the field. We have swung and missed on so many game changing recruits on the defensive side of the ball for quite a few years now. If we can get someone in who is a hell of a coach and can recruit worth a damn, I will take BF all day.

Thoughts on keeping BF when we receive a new HC?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the legitimate chances we keep BF with the HC change? I know our defense is sub par right now, but I have to believe it is a matter of having a lack of talent on the field. We have swung and missed on so many game changing recruits on the defensive side of the ball for quite a few years now. If we can get someone in who is a hell of a coach and can recruit worth a damn, I will take BF all day.

Thoughts on keeping BF when we receive a new HC?

I guess it would depend on the coach. If its a defensive HC, he might want to do it himself or bring his own guy. An offensive coach might be more open to keeping him around. I think its likely Foster might just retire along with Beamer. He's had chances to go elsewhere and he didn't take him and the majority consensus seems to be he won't be HC at VT.

Personally, I'm fine with him leaving. I'm much more interested in keeping Gray. He's younger, a solid coach that knows Foster's techniques, and more importantly, a good recruiter. It's no secret that Foster doesn't recruit like he probably should (at least not any more) and its Gray that's built up a lot of relationships over the years.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if any coach is worth keeping around, its Searels. TG can cut his teeth somewhere else, and if he kills it as a DC and can recruit, I'm sure VT would welcome him back with open arms.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is 95% that Bud (and therefore Wiles and Brown) are gone. The new coach is going to want his guys and to not have a divided locker room. There is some chance they keep one hold over to transition recruiting but my guess is it would be a young guy like Gray or Zohn. I would like SS to stick too but unless he has a previous relationship with the new coach, I don't see it.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rhule and Fleck have been mentioned quite a bit too. Richt and Mullen are long shots .. I think Fuente is a realistic option. We can pony up the cash. I don't get the feeling that Herman is a real possibility or a good fit.

One things for sure .. Doesn't seem like there's any doubt that this will be CFBs last season, just a question of when it will be announced. If it's a for sure, I don't think there's any point in waiting until the end of the season. Everyone knows it's coming so there's more to gain by announcing sooner rather than later

I see what you're saying 46 but I could see Zohn or SS sticking if his online scheme fits. They haven't been around long enough to have any real allegiance to Beamer. Would love to keep TG. If we hire an offensive guy, he will have plenty to work with next season. Regardless a new head coach will be walking into a pretty situation if you ask me, compared to most programs

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expect an announcement next week.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Beamer announces his retirement from Virginia Tech at end of season

Boys, it's official. Our legendary coach is hanging it up.

Very bittersweet feelings right now. Wish he could've have went out on a much higher note, although there is still a couple things to play for. It was time. My only hope is that some of the ugliness (not so much on this board) will now go away, and I think it will. Now we can all honor him in his final games.

Let the coaching speculations (officially) begin!!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad they went ahead and did it. Now the UNC game can really be something special since it'll be his last home game. Definitely plan on going now.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very bittersweet feelings right now. Wish he could've have went out on a much higher note, although there is still a couple things to play for. It was time. My only hope is that some of the ugliness (not so much on this board) will now go away, and I think it will. Now we can all honor him in his final games.

Let the coaching speculations (officially) begin!!

I agree. In honesty, it makes cheering for the team a lot easier for everyone now.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whit worked quickly with his hires at Cincy, and it only took like 2 days for him to announce the Buzz hire - granted that was out of season. I'd expect the new coach to be named certainly before Bowl Season, although before the end of the season wouldn't shock me. I literally have no idea who is on Whit's short list.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whit worked quickly with his hires at Cincy, and it only took like 2 days for him to announce the Buzz hire - granted that was out of season. I'd expect the new coach to be named certainly before Bowl Season, although before the end of the season wouldn't shock me. I literally have no idea who is on Whit's short list.

Didn't Florida have McElwain hired before the season was over (announced, obviously didn't take over). I'd imagine he'd try to go that route as well to give recruits an idea of what's up. And I'm hoping with what can best be described as "lukewarm" (more like hostile) reaction to the Rich Rod rumor, Whit will remove him from the call list. It'll be interesting to see because if Herman or Fuente are at the top, it could take awhile since those two could be very focused on their own teams right now. I know agents do all the work but still.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Florida have McElwain hired before the season was over (announced, obviously didn't take over). I'd imagine he'd try to go that route as well to give recruits an idea of what's up. And I'm hoping with what can best be described as "lukewarm" (more like hostile) reaction to the Rich Rod rumor, Whit will remove him from the call list. It'll be interesting to see because if Herman or Fuente are at the top, it could take awhile since those two could be very focused on their own teams right now. I know agents do all the work but still.

I think you're right from the recruiting standpoint, and certainly hope you're right about the RR situation. One thing that makes me a little nervous is the guy who broke the news about Frank's announcement, Mike Jurecki, is a sports reporter and radio host in Arizona...and I don't think Arians is really an option here.

As far as the other guys go, they're all finishing out (extremely good) seasons, too. I am sure they're wanting their teams to remained focused and not bring unnecessarily early speculation to their programs before season's end.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very early scoop so far is that Whit has already been putting in work and the new coach will be an offensive mind which really isn't a shock (may rule out Venables). Announcement may come shortly after UVA game

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know when they will announce the start time for the UNC game? I am locked into a flight into RIC arriving at 2:04pm. fuck!